The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: applying for the "fiance visa"  (Read 3243 times)

Offline xsmilex

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
applying for the "fiance visa"
« on: September 24, 2018, 03:03:16 PM »
Hello Ladies and Gents

Since my last post about a vistor visa (which we decided was a bad idea) things have progressed very well and we are now going to apply for the "fiance visa". The amount of paper work is pretty mind blowing and has taken a lot of research to pull together an almost comprehensive list of supporting documents. I just have a question or 2 that i wondered if any of you could help with.

My OH is Ukrainian and has a daughter who is almost 2 years old now. The Father of her daughter (who is not me) is Moroccan and disappeared almost as soon as she was born and has never been involved in any way with her upbringing. My OH has been to court and has a court order removing all of his parental rights which gives her freedom to leave Ukraine without his permission.

It seems that we would need to prove to UKVI that she is solely responsible for her daughter. We plan to use this court order as evidence but we are unsure of the process to have this document translated/apostatised/notarised. My OH is not willing to give the official copy of this document as evidence because she wants it in her possession at all times.
A: Does anyone know what we would need to do with this document to make it acceptable for evidence with UKVI?
B:  Does anyone know what other documents we could use as extra evidence that my OH has full and sole responsibility for her daughter?

My next question relates to previous relationships. Neither of us have been married before but would be still need to submit some kind of document to prove that we are both free to marry? Im not so sure how to prove that we are actually single and as she already has a daughter i didn't want there to be any doubt in the mind of the Issuing officer

My last question (for now :hidechair:) When she goes to Kiev for her bio-metrics appointment does she need to have all supporting documents with her to submit? A very large portion of the documents come from me and I've noticed during my research that some people mention sending supporting documents to Sheffield. Would i send my part of supporting documents to Sheffield or do i just get them all to Ukraine for her to submit all together?

Thanks in advance for any help or assistance you can offer. It will be very much appreciated on this crazy paper trail.

Rich
Rich (xsmilex)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: applying for the "fiance visa"
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 03:19:24 PM »
Hello Ladies and Gents

Since my last post about a vistor visa (which we decided was a bad idea) things have progressed very well and we are now going to apply for the "fiance visa". The amount of paper work is pretty mind blowing and has taken a lot of research to pull together an almost comprehensive list of supporting documents. I just have a question or 2 that i wondered if any of you could help with.

My OH is Ukrainian and has a daughter who is almost 2 years old now. The Father of her daughter (who is not me) is Moroccan and disappeared almost as soon as she was born and has never been involved in any way with her upbringing. My OH has been to court and has a court order removing all of his parental rights which gives her freedom to leave Ukraine without his permission.

It seems that we would need to prove to UKVI that she is solely responsible for her daughter. We plan to use this court order as evidence but we are unsure of the process to have this document translated/apostatised/notarised. My OH is not willing to give the official copy of this document as evidence because she wants it in her possession at all times.
A: Does anyone know what we would need to do with this document to make it acceptable for evidence with UKVI?
B:  Does anyone know what other documents we could use as extra evidence that my OH has full and sole responsibility for her daughter?

My next question relates to previous relationships. Neither of us have been married before but would be still need to submit some kind of document to prove that we are both free to marry? Im not so sure how to prove that we are actually single and as she already has a daughter i didn't want there to be any doubt in the mind of the Issuing officer

My last question (for now :hidechair:) When she goes to Kiev for her bio-metrics appointment does she need to have all supporting documents with her to submit? A very large portion of the documents come from me and I've noticed during my research that some people mention sending supporting documents to Sheffield. Would i send my part of supporting documents to Sheffield or do i just get them all to Ukraine for her to submit all together?

Thanks in advance for any help or assistance you can offer. It will be very much appreciated on this crazy paper trail.

Rich

Its no big deal to prove so much I don't think.. If she has a court paper to prove that she has sole responsibility and its translated thats enough..even a photo copy translated.. they are not so strict on that point.

My wife had the same kind of situation and still does travelling to any country, some times they ask for evidence of her responsibility for the kids.. I think we. used the same document a few times for kids visas to the UK..

How many times have you met this women in Ukraine?

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »
Hello Ladies and Gents

Rich

Its no big deal to prove so much I don't think.. If she has a court paper to prove that she has sole responsibility and its translated thats enough..even a photo copy translated.. they are not so strict on that point.

My wife had the same kind of situation and still does travelling to any country, some times they ask for evidence of her responsibility for the kids.. I think we. used the same document a few times for kids visas to the UK..

I would ask the same question that Steve does, in another light how well do you know this woman?

While not English, I suspect you will need a 'apostille' attached to all your/her documents. Is the 'sproglet' free and clear in the mother's passport?

In Kiev, you sign and declare before an officer of the consulate that you are able to marry freely (never mind willingly). Knowing something of English law you might need a formal document from you home town/city that you are indeed single.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline xsmilex

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 05:40:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far.

We have known each other now for almost 2 years and ive been to Ukraine  to visit her about 8 times. We have spoken every single day in that time via whatsapp/viber chat and mainly video chat. Condensing 1800 pages of chat history is another challenge in itself. I've met all her family on various occasions. She has been extremely open and honest about all from the very beginning. From the very first visit I've always stayed with her in her appartment. So i would say we know each other very well. (For a long distance relationship at least)

Is the 'sproglet' free and clear in the mother's passport?

Her daughter has her own new biometric passport that was obtained for this reason

Knowing something of English law you might need a formal document from you home town/city that you are indeed single.

Ok. i will do some more digging to see what kind of document might be available to prove such

Thanks again.

Rich (xsmilex)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 10:56:23 PM »
You need a certificate of no impediment to marry abroad.
You will need to get this apostilled. Information available here

However, as you plan to marry in the uk go down to your local registrars office. You will have give notice there of your intention to marry.

As far as the court documents concerning parental rights, get it translated and notarised and submit it with a copy of the original document.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 02:19:18 AM »

However, as you plan to marry in the uk go down to your local registrars office. You will have give notice there of your intention to marry.

As far as the court documents concerning parental rights, get it translated and notarised and submit it with a copy of the original document.

I suspect that DogSoldier (DS) know this well. Understand the advice he gives.

As a matter of respect to your bride marrying her in her own country gives you allot more respect to her relatives and friends.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 02:35:29 AM »

This is the one you need to check out mate. DS is spot on here, as ever.

Offline Colloc

• Spouses Country: United Kingdom
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 05:13:56 AM »
Rich,
Just out of curiosity why did you not go for a tourist visa and then a fiance visa?
I am in a similar situation but until my decree nisi and absolute are issued I cant go for the fiance visa.
I am in no way questioning your relationship but I personally would like to spend a fair bit of time with my new partner in a normal day to day situation where any cracks might appear.
All the best for your future.

Offline xsmilex

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 12:12:32 PM »

Thanks for the info Dogsoldier.

As far as i understand we both have to be present at the designated registry office when we give notice of intention to marry and my OH needs to of lived in England for at least 7 days before we can do this. So this is something we plan to do after her arrival here.

We will go ahead and get the translation done and notarised and put it in the mountain of paper work.

As a matter of respect to your bride marrying her in her own country gives you allot more respect to her relatives and friends.

We have our reasons for wanting to get married over here in England and we have the full support and respect from all her family and friends. There are reasons to this decision but i cant go into it

Rich,
Just out of curiosity why did you not go for a tourist visa and then a fiance visa?
I am in a similar situation but until my decree nisi and absolute are issued I cant go for the fiance visa.
I am in no way questioning your relationship but I personally would like to spend a fair bit of time with my new partner in a normal day to day situation where any cracks might appear.

In an ideal world we would of gone down the visitor visa route first to give us the opportunity to spend a lot more day to day life together but the visitor visa just has too many grey areas to prove in our situation. The main and determining factor being the reason for my OH to return home. We both know that she would have had every intention to return home and not become an over stayer or visa abuser but trying to prove that on paper seemed neigh on impossible. She has a young daughter who she would no way leave in Ukraine (and i didnt want her to), She doesnt own her own property, She has not got evidence of any long running employment and she is not a student. All in all it just seemed like we would of been setting ourselves up for the fall and rejection of a visitor visa application.

Instead i did the travelling and and spent as much time as possible there with her. We have got on like a house on fire from day 1 so getting married and being able to prove all in black and white is a far easier option for us to take. Yes for some is maybe a risky jump to make but for us we are 150% committed to each other.

Am i way off line with the idea that my part of the supporting documents could be sent direct from me to Sheffield? To be honest Im just planning to get them all out to Ukraine so she can submit everything in Kiev. I was just curious about the fact some people seem to mention sending direct to Sheffield.

Thanks All   
Rich (xsmilex)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 01:08:40 PM »

This is the one you need to check out mate. DS is spot on here, as ever.

Indeed, DS is more reliable than Wiki on such things. What he says is how it is.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 01:26:46 PM »

Thanks for the info Dogsoldier.

As far as i understand we both have to be present at the designated registry office when we give notice of intention to marry and my OH needs to of lived in England for at least 7 days before we can do this. So this is something we plan to do after her arrival here.

We will go ahead and get the translation done and notarised and put it in the mountain of paper work.

We have our reasons for wanting to get married over here in England and we have the full support and respect from all her family and friends. There are reasons to this decision but i cant go into it

Rich,

In an ideal world we would of gone down the visitor visa route first to give us the opportunity to spend a lot more day to day life together but the visitor visa just has too many grey areas to prove in our situation. The main and determining factor being the reason for my OH to return home. We both know that she would have had every intention to return home and not become an over stayer or visa abuser but trying to prove that on paper seemed neigh on impossible. She has a young daughter who she would no way leave in Ukraine (and i didnt want her to), She doesnt own her own property, She has not got evidence of any long running employment and she is not a student. All in all it just seemed like we would of been setting ourselves up for the fall and rejection of a visitor visa application.

Instead i did the travelling and and spent as much time as possible there with her. We have got on like a house on fire from day 1 so getting married and being able to prove all in black and white is a far easier option for us to take. Yes for some is maybe a risky jump to make but for us we are 150% committed to each other.

Am i way off line with the idea that my part of the supporting documents could be sent direct from me to Sheffield? To be honest Im just planning to get them all out to Ukraine so she can submit everything in Kiev. I was just curious about the fact some people seem to mention sending direct to Sheffield.

Thanks All   
Yes, you’ll both have to attend an appointment at your local registrars and give notice , after she’s been here 7 days. It’ll be the usual 28 day period.
Submit all your supporting docs with the application, not separately.

Registration