The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Shakey is Soon Free!  (Read 11547 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Shakey is Soon Free!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Shakey is Soon Free!
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 08:44:55 PM »
So this is basically alimony? 

What is the concept behind having to pay alimony on top of dividing your assets? 

Shakey, would you say that the US laws are worse for the men than in the EU or Russia or rest of the world? 

Is it any better for our friends in the UK, EU or local Russian marriages in Russia? 

I don't believe the prenup would protect the man against having to make alimony payments correct? 

The problem here in the US is that pensions have almost disappeared so someone that is 35 like myself has to rely on the 401k for additional funding upon retirement and if you have to divide it in half then its a problem for the man.   

This is a great topic for a debate on us, uk, eu and rf systems. 

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 10:55:21 PM »
BTW Congratulations Shakespear, when are you moving to Florida?  You should be able to really enjoy your retirement now that this obligation is out of the way.

PS....what was the name of that nightclub you liked so much in Moscow?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 04:03:12 AM »

What is the concept behind having to pay alimony on top of dividing your assets? 

Shakey, would you say that the US laws are worse for the men than in the EU or Russia or rest of the world? 

Is it any better for our friends in the UK, EU or local Russian marriages in Russia? 

I don't believe the prenup would protect the man against having to make alimony payments correct? 

The problem here in the US is that pensions have almost disappeared so someone that is 35 like myself has to rely on the 401k for additional funding upon retirement and if you have to divide it in half then its a problem for the man.   

This is a great topic for a debate on us, uk, eu and rf systems.

The best solution is to marry a women with lots of cash... then knock her on the head.. :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 04:08:53 AM »
And in any case it depends on circumstances .. maybe a wife has helped build a joint business up? In which case why shouldn't she have 50% ?

I know for sure I will not be getting divorced.. (Done it once and got the t-shirt) my wife has put as much into every thing as me.. so I wouldn't be grudge anything..

Every case is different..

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 09:31:04 AM »

In the USA spousal support is determined by the county domestic relations
court in the state of residence.  Each stat has a different way of distributing
the marriage assets during a divorce.

In Ohio spousal support is determined by the length of the marriage and the
discrepancy in earning power between the parties.  It is actually on a chart that
dictates a specific range of payment based on the $ amount of the discrepancy
in earning power which the judge has the power to fudge a couple hundred dollars
one way or another.

My "range" was $3750 - $4250 per month.  Funny how the lawyers agreed on $4000.
Actually in my case I was a bit lucky.  We were married for 13 years.  Had we been
married for 15 years I would have had to pay a smaller monthly amount but would
have had to pay if for the rest of her life.

The duration of the payments is usually 30% of the years married for marriages between
3 and 15 years.  Less than three there usually is no spousal support and over 15 the
payments go for life.   

My attorney told me that in Ohio prenuptial agreements that stipulate a spousal
support below what it says on the chart are ignored.  They are more likely to be
enforced when it comes to the division of actual assets.

For example if your agreement says that you agree to make the maximum allowable
contribution each year to the wife's IRA and by doing so, any 401k assets you each have
in your name do not need to be split.  The judge is likely to rule such an agreement fair
and enforceable.

That little ducat of knowledge would have saved me about $250,000.

Oh, and federal law states that if you are married for more than 10 years, your divorced
spouse is entitled to the same Social Security payment that you will receive - compliments
of the US taxpayer.
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »

discrepancy in earning power between the parties.  It is actually on a chart that
in earning power which the judge has the power to fudge a couple hundred dollars
one way or another.

Actually in my case I was a bit lucky.  We were married for 13 years.  Had we been

The duration of the payments is usually 30% of the years married for marriages between
3 and 15 years.  Less than three there usually is no spousal support and over 15 the
payments go for life.   

support below what it says on the chart are ignored.  They are more likely to be

contribution each year to the wife's IRA and by doing so, any 401k assets you each have
in your name do not need to be split.  The judge is likely to rule such an agreement fair
and enforceable.

That little ducat would have saved me about $250,000.

Oh, and federal law states that if you are married for more than 10 years, your divorced
spouse is entitled to the same Social Security payment that you will receive - compliments
of the US taxpayer.

I expect your greedy attorney took a few cents commission.. What happens if you become unemployed shortly after this agreement?

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 01:08:43 PM »
I expect your greedy attorney took a few cents commission.. What happens if you become unemployed shortly after this agreement? 

Actually my attorney gave me fantastic legal advice and did the whole
thing for $3000.  Hardly greedy.

To answer your question if depends on the conditions of my unemployment.
If the court thinks I became unemployed just to sty to screw my x-wife over,
they will order the payments to continue in full.  If I become unemployed due
to some verified medical reason then the payments would be suspended or
heavily modified.

Of course if I die the payments cease.     

Offline ?ManyQuestions?

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 07:14:35 PM »

one way or another.

payments go for life.   

and enforceable.

That little ducat of knowledge would have saved me about $250,000.

of the US taxpayer.

Why should anyone receiving child support get "child support for life" after the children have grown up and (hopefully) left? That law needs to be changed.

I thought I read somewhere that child support ends once the children turn 18 by a court order.

Online 2tallbill

Shakey is Soon Free!
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2018, 12:27:18 PM »
Getting a divorce is like getting fired from a job you've hated for years

Getting a divorce is like getting LASIK surgery. You sometimes see your ex clearly for the first time and not liking what you are seeing.

Being friends with your ex wife is similar to deciding to keep in touch with
kidnappers after you pay them and they let you go.

You know why divorce costs so much? Because it's worth it.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline yankee

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2018, 12:37:41 PM »
of the US taxpayer.

Actually the amount she will get from Social Security (whether  divorced or not) is the higher of either 50% of what her (ex)husband gets or her amount earned, which ever  is greater.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »
Why should anyone receiving child support get "child support for life" after the children have grown up and (hopefully) left? That law needs to be changed.

I thought I read somewhere that child support ends once the children turn 18 by a court order.

It's spousal support or alimony that he was talking about not child support.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2018, 12:50:17 PM »
It's spousal support or alimony that he was talking about not child support.

Exactly!

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 07:06:45 PM »
Shakey so if a man works for an international corporation, speaks several languages and has a masters in international business, would he be better of asking for a transfer overseas and then get married? 

Basically do the laws in the UK, EU, and RF treat the man a bit more fairly. 

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 07:57:52 PM »
Getting a divorce is like getting fired from a job you've hated for years

Getting a divorce is like getting LASIK surgery. You sometimes see your ex clearly for the first time and not liking what you are seeing.

Being friends with your ex wife is similar to deciding to keep in touch with
kidnappers after you pay them and they let you go.

You know why divorce costs so much? Because it's worth it.

Buhwahahahaha!   :ROFL:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2018, 04:37:06 AM »
 Omega, it ain't where you get married but where you get divorced that is the issue. However, if one enters into a marriage based upon the easiest way to exit the union it seems to me that it is hardly a harbinger of success.

https://www.politico.eu/article/monaco-monte-carlo-divorce-tourism/

You pretty much get divorced where you are living at the time of the first filing in the divorce. See the linked article how a woman tricked her husband into a move from Monaco to the UK in order to get a more fair deal in a divorce. Also, note the reference to living in New York for two years being a requirement to get a divorce there.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2018, 05:39:24 AM »
Omega, it ain't where you get married but where you get divorced that is the issue. However, if one enters into a marriage based upon the easiest way to exit the union it seems to me that it is hardly a harbinger of success.

https://www.politico.eu/article/monaco-monte-carlo-divorce-tourism/

You pretty much get divorced where you are living at the time of the first filing in the divorce. See the linked article how a woman tricked her husband into a move from Monaco to the UK in order to get a more fair deal in a divorce. Also, note the reference to living in New York for two years being a requirement to get a divorce there.

Yes I agree how on earth can anyone ever expect to meet a good women when the first thing they have on their mind is not getting screwed after a divorce.. :laugh: Probably why many thinking finding a stupid FSU women will solve the problem, cos they don't expect any thing! They will be thank full for a bag of potatoes! Well its more than they had in Russia!! :laugh:

Life is a bitch!! What happens happens!

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »
Omega, it ain't where you get married but where you get divorced that is the issue.

Exactly right!

However, if one enters into a marriage based upon the easiest way to exit the union it seems to me that it is hardly a harbinger of success. 

Agree to a certain extent.  However a prenuptial agreement that is fair, equitable and
protects the common interests of both parties is an absolute necessity in the USA in light
of the current "me too" environment. 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2018, 07:42:29 AM »

However, if one enters into a marriage based upon the easiest way to exit the union it seems to me that it is hardly a harbinger of success. 

Agree to a certain extent.  However a prenuptial agreement that is fair, equitable and
protects the common interests of both parties is an absolute necessity in the USA in light
of the current "me too" environment.

A fair prenup is not the same as the stratagem that Omega was suggesting. However, it seems to me that most people are unlikely to have assets of the value that would make a prenuptial agreement worthwhile. I'd also think that if one were to be accused and found guilty of assault, no matter the opinion of the man in the matter, that a prenup would count for very little in any disputed divorce case.

Of course, a 'fair' prenuptial agreement would only be fair in the eyes of a court if it already gave both parties an outcome equivalent to that which the court would award anyway. Otherwise, in the eyes of the court, how could the agreement be fair?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2018, 10:20:08 AM »
Having witnessed how some 'prenup agreements' are written and how they hold up in court in the United States, they are not worth the paper they are written on. In other words why not jump out an aircraft with a shredded parachute hopping your prenup lands you gently.

An aggressive and adversarialy divorce attorney might be able to prove deception (certainly provide doubt) to the judge.

Curious Shakey were your court proceedings I assume Ohio, only before a judge?

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2018, 03:29:39 PM »
Of course, a 'fair' prenuptial agreement would only be fair in the eyes of a court if it already gave both parties an outcome equivalent to that which the court would award anyway. Otherwise, in the eyes of the court, how could the agreement be fair?

Not necessarily.  While a pre-nup has to stay "within bounds" courts will look at the process, i.e. was the agreement made voluntarily and with knowledge of the rights given up, even if the "result" would have been otherwise different based on a court's division of the marital assets.

Having witnessed how some 'prenup agreements' are written and how they hold up in court in the United States, they are not worth the paper they are written on.

That varies from state to state.  Ex. in California, they void after 10 years. In Connecticut, OTOH, provided that you observe the proper formalities, they are enforceable on their own terms.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2018, 10:55:57 PM »
I understand it depends where you get divorced. 

My question is, in a nutshell where does a successful man get fleeced more, US, UK, EU, or RF? 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2018, 11:01:18 PM »
But how much wiggle room would a court allow? A person who wanted to protect their wealth would want to minimise the settlement and the lawyer of the other party would be failing in their duty to not advise their client that the agreement gave less than a court would award.

The outcome of an equitable agreement, freely made, would surely thus tend toward a level likely to be awarded by a court. The advantage to the wealthier party being that they get to choose which assets are awarded, the structure of the deal.

Wouldn't an unfair agreement, one in which the weaker, less well off party gave up a significant part of their rights thus fall foul of the principal that the contract be fair and reasonable?

Offline BillyB

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »

If a prenup is one sided and doesn't come close to following state guidelines for splitting assets, a judge can toss it out. In family court, a judge is allowed a LOT of discretion when deciding things and making rulings.

People make the mistake of thinking a prenup is to protect themselves from greedy spouse should the marriage ends in divorce. In reality a prenup is to protect oneself from a judge who can make rulings that deviate from state guidelines.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2018, 02:10:24 AM »
I understand it depends where you get divorced. 

My question is, in a nutshell where does a successful man get fleeced more, US, UK, EU, or RF?

I can't speak for other countries, but in NL a valid enforcable prenup stays that way until all signed parties (e.g. both spouses) change it. It has no end-date other than the death of the participants or executing of its terms due to divorce.

A prenup can be annulled, if one of the following conditions is met:
* Mental illness with one of the participants.
* Hiding significant assets from either spouse. (this has to be proven in court, the easiest is usually a very wealthy retirement plan that the man forgot.)
* abuse of the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law. (Attorneys can't argue this point, only judges can decide this)
* mental/physical abuse during the procedure of signing of the agreement.
* If the prenup was not signed into the lawful register by a notary and/or judge.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria