The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Whatsapp in China  (Read 131 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Whatsapp in China
« on: September 08, 2018, 02:30:12 AM »
I realize this is off topic, but does WhatsApp work in China? 

Manny I imagine you are the go to person for this. 

Thanks. 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Whatsapp in China
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 03:58:12 AM »
Google is your friend: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k11577083-Is_Whatsapp_Working_in_China-Beijing.html

Of course there's a myriad of other links to check out saying the same stuff.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 05:31:30 AM »
Who needs Google ( or an arm chair 'expert'  ) ?

Bring TWO phones or a unlocked phone with a local sim and a DATA sim from home that roams

You'll find that you CAN usually send msgs - watch the data charges - on your home sim, but it is better to use a VPN - which is of course illegal

Telegram is better at circumventing the Great China Firewall

If you are in Honk Kong - FAR less issues - if at all

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:50:24 AM »
No I don't think it works there to well  most Chinese you "WeChat" its just the same..

And most Chinese guys who want to chat to Russian women will ask if they use "WeChat"
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »
I do go to China (picking up my new 2 year multi entry visa next week actually) but I'm not a Whatsapp user so I don't know.

As noted above they all use WeChat or QQ. If you are going for women, the first question women you get chatty with ask is if you have QQ or WeChat. Nobody talks about Whatsapp.

However, if you are in a decent hotel used by westerners, you'll have western spec internet too (Western facing hotels use VPNs for their wifi), so all your apps will work. They dont impose the internet wall on westerners if they can help it. Internet is western in Hong Kong by default. Probably in Macau too.
I apologise.
And so he should.........