The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Back to The Ukraine Girlfriend...but not Ukraine  (Read 18457 times)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Back to The Ukraine Girlfriend...but not Ukraine
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2018, 06:38:33 PM »
There is something fishy going on with this topic...   :ROFL:

:ROFL: I  think you might get nominated! But some here are just old smelly fishy sorts.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2018, 06:58:14 PM »
I remember some news articles a while back that showed that some restaurants were caught serving generic white fish and calling them sea bass to mark up the prices.

P.S. To clarify, this was in the US - some American restaurants were caught mis-labeling.

I’d know instantly if it wasn’t sea bass. It’s remarkably more subtle in both flavour and texture, compared with a generic white fish from say the cod family.

Tilapia, is a fresh water farm raised fish from around the world. The texture is a bit rubbery and has small flakes. I strongly dislike fresh water fish, and only occasionally eat trout. As for the fish that are popular in Ukraine, Poland, and Russia that one seas in swimming around in grocery stores, I pass. Oddly enough on The Sea of Azov and along the Eastern seaboard we have Bluefish, another inedible fish in my opinion, but what a great sport fish on light tackle.

A delicious fish either grilled or pan served is so called stripped bass, even more delicious if you caught it your self.

There is no way to confuse Tilapia with Sea Bass.  Tilapia flesh has a "weird odor" that stays with you after you eat it.   :ROFL:  I call it the stinky fish.  NO MORE TILAPIA.   :ROFL:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online AvHdB

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2018, 07:06:25 PM »
I remember some news articles a while back that showed that some restaurants were caught serving generic white fish and calling them sea bass to mark up the prices.

P.S. To clarify, this was in the US - some American restaurants were caught mis-labeling.

I’d know instantly if it wasn’t sea bass. It’s remarkably more subtle in both flavour and texture, compared with a generic white fish from say the cod family.

Tilapia, is a fresh water farm raised fish from around the world. The texture is a bit rubbery and has small flakes. I strongly dislike fresh water fish, and only occasionally eat trout. As for the fish that are popular in Ukraine, Poland, and Russia that one seas in swimming around in grocery stores, I pass. Oddly enough on The Sea of Azov and along the Eastern seaboard we have Bluefish, another inedible fish in my opinion, but what a great sport fish on light tackle.

A delicious fish either grilled or pan served is so called stripped bass, even more delicious if you caught it your self.

There is no way to confuse Tilapia with Sea Bass.  Tilapia flesh has a "weird odor" that stays with you after you eat it.   :ROFL:  I call it the stinky fish.  NO MORE TILAPIA.   :ROFL:

Yes I agree, but bear in mind a small percentage of the population live along salt water coast lines. There are those who find cat fish and overgrown gold fish (carp) delicious.  :sick0012:

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2018, 07:41:08 PM »

Not even sure if I’ve ever had Bass.

I did once have a miserable little fish from the Black Sea.  :chuckle:

My favorite two are Halibut and Salmon, I doubt if one can find the very best quality of those two very easily in Russia or Ukraine.

Where I grew up they fly Salmon in twice a day from Alaska.

Cod or Snapper for fish and chips is good but not as good as Halibut.

Offline Guile

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2018, 10:03:38 PM »

My favorite two are Halibut and Salmon, I doubt if one can find the very best quality of those two very easily in Russia or Ukraine.

I tried the smoked salmon in Moscow, it comes from Norway I believe and is nowhere near as good.  Wild Pacific or Akaskan sockeye salmon is still the best in the world.  I refuse to eat sushi in Russia!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2018, 10:52:44 PM »

I tried the smoked salmon in Moscow, it comes from Norway I believe and is nowhere near as good.  Wild Pacific or Akaskan sockeye salmon is still the best in the world.  I refuse to eat sushi in Russia!

Many, myself included would agree with what I bolded.

Another fish that is delicious is swordfish.

Curious why you will not consume sushi in Russia?

In Kiev there is a fish store from Norway called Egersund, on the left bank, the quality is top.

Offline Guile

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2018, 12:10:26 AM »

I'm a bit of a food snob as over here I get authentic cuisine.  When you've had the freshest sashimi made by Japanese chefs you don't want to eat anything else.

In Moscow they had restaurants serving sushi, pizza and everything together.  I did go to a chain sushi restaurant to try it and it would be considered below average here but ok in Russia.  I didn't eat steak either.  For high quality food you are paying a big premium, 3-4x.

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2018, 01:15:21 AM »

I am sorry that I have contributed to the derailment of your Post by replying to Moby in an effort to clarify the fact, that there are so many similar fishes in the Mediterranean sea.... that only few very experienced fishermen can recognise them.

Most fish like Kefalos, Lavraki, Fagri, Synagrida etc are similar in looks and we call them AFROPSARA.... because you can find them in very shallow waters.

In Greek fish restaurants..... most fish is cooked on the churckle (BBQ) fire and I can assure you that you may ordered "Lavraki"... but was "kefalos" what they cooked for you and you will not know the difference, because both are very tasty but Lavraki more expensive........when the bill comes.  :chuckle:
BTW we use to catch Lavraki in Rivers......as it's not only sea fish......... ;D

[Pejorative comments about another member removed]

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2018, 06:56:39 AM »
Arie in Dutch means origin, and popularity.

It has been a name in the family from around 1450, mostly likely a person with this first name comes from the Rotterdam region.

Offline SL0413

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2018, 07:53:09 AM »

I'm a bit of a food snob as over here I get authentic cuisine.  When you've had the freshest sashimi made by Japanese chefs you don't want to eat anything else.

In Moscow they had restaurants serving sushi, pizza and everything together.  I did go to a chain sushi restaurant to try it and it would be considered below average here but ok in Russia.  I didn't eat steak either.  For high quality food you are paying a big premium, 3-4x.

"Freshest sashimi made by Japanese chefs"...in America...  That's not quite the "freshest".  US fish markets lag behind fish markets in Japan - there you'd get really fresh sashimi.

But even that pales in comparison to fresh sashimi in small coastal towns in Korea, where you pick out the fish you want from those swimming in various small holding tanks containing the fish caught that morning.

That is one of my personal contradictions - I like raw fish but dislike cooked fish, mostly.  I also get hamburgers without onions (dislike raw onions) and then onion rings.

Offline yankee

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2018, 11:00:04 AM »

Many, myself included would agree with what I bolded.

Another fish that is delicious is swordfish.

In Kiev there is a fish store from Norway called Egersund, on the left bank, the quality is top.

Having lived in Tokyo and my brother-in-law being a sushi chef, Japan is the best place for sushi of course.  The best sushi in the USA I found in Colorado Springs (Juns).   I have also lived in Seattle and Boston.  Nothing beats Pacific Salmon, nothing.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Registration