The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Fighting the Scammers and safe Dating Tips..  (Read 12112 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Fighting the Scammers and safe Dating Tips..
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 03:34:03 PM »

So do I, but that's not the point is it?

IF you read  - contextually - Steveboy's 'analogy' was comparing ladies with western email addresses being as likely as western guys with mail,ru ones ... thanks for demonstrating my point - in that it is not 'rare' ( 5 percent )
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 02:10:14 AM »

IF you read  - contextually - Steveboy's 'analogy' was comparing ladies with western email addresses being as likely as western guys with mail,ru ones ... thanks for demonstrating my point - in that it is not 'rare' ( 5 percent )

You think 5% of westerners have a mail.ru? Try a fraction of a fraction of 1%. So yes, its rare. Similar to average women in Russia having a western email provider. Bloody miniscule.

You really are the class clown.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 03:16:52 AM »

You think 5% of westerners have a mail.ru? Try a fraction of a fraction of 1%. So yes, its rare. Similar to average women in Russia having a western email provider. Bloody miniscule.

You really are the class clown.

[Trolling removed]

Once again ..Steveboy suggested having a 'western' ( Google / Microsoft,etc., ) email was probably a scammer .... Do you agree with that ?

Who owns Yandex ?  The Dutch ... 

So .... a HECK of a lot of RU folk have 'western' email addresses

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 04:28:35 AM »

Why do you want to make a stupid point over this e mail thing... Im telling you 100% and with nearly 10 years experience dealing with scammers from the FSU that nearly 99.5 % of women  particularly young pretty women , who use hotmail/outlook/live or Yahoo are scammers or fakes..

Next time your in St Petersburg pop round and I can will show you the stats.. there is nothing to argue about!!

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 04:57:22 AM »
I have a mail.ru account since about 1999. In all those years I have never had an email from a non FSU native person.

Last time I looked the English language interface had been closed down making it almost certain that non-Russian speakers would not use it. Perhaps that's changed but to claim that 5% of men in Western Europe and North America have a mail.ru account is simply risible.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 05:40:47 AM »
but to claim that 5% of men in Western Europe and North America have a mail.ru account is simply risible.

Please find us who suggested that ... You often state folks have reading comprehension issues ...

MY point was that suggesting ladies with 'western' emails addresses ( Steve's estimate 5%) were likely to be scammers was being questioned

V has had one since earlier than 2006,
SC had one before I knew her
V's step-sister
and LOADS of younger people I know from Sochi who've studied a Sporting masters degree at the Russian International Olympic Uni /work(ed) at the F1 circuit  ....

on checking over 40 percent...

My question for Manny and andrewfi is once again ...WHY do you post about stuff you don't experience ?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 06:01:34 AM »

Last time I looked the English language interface had been closed down making it almost certain that non-Russian speakers would not use it.

More andrewfi bollox

It is CLEAR you don't use mail.ru .. 

WHY do you keep posting bollox about Russia and things Russia ?

A screengrab from a mail.ru account of mine

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 10:17:16 AM »
Its also  very common for women who scam for a living to include the words "Rabata" some where in their mail.. though usually its in their password..

Here is a typical example

And here is here  e-mail.. you can bet within a few hours she will be working away..(Or trying to work away)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 10:26:00 AM »
Another doggy e mail is BK.ru always be careful when communicating with any young  women using the bk.ru mail box..

The % there is about 75% so you have a good chance of being scammed .. bk.ru and list.ru are always flagged in security..

And as usual  :laugh:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 11:35:45 AM »
bk and list are simply other domains of mail.ru !

Good to see a scammer using a DUTCH email firm ( yandex) ;)

Offline Manny

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2018, 12:31:19 PM »
Moby, this trolling will simply mislead gullible western men. You are being disingenuous and mendacious. You may remember we ran a small dating site and had numerous tie ups with others.

The average Russian bint (who western men may want to meet) is highly unlikely to use western email providers, she will want an interface in her own language. Thus mail.ru, inbox.ru, etc. You KNOW that. Does it mean the odd one who might have one is *definitely* a scammer? No, of course not, but like having "Arabic" in a language field, one may treat it with suspicion and delve into why that may be so.

Women who are/were tangled up with you that you may have inveigled to use western email providers for whatever reason are NOT average women in this regard. Although it may be sound to suggest a woman with a western email address that has been tangled up with you is best avoided. So in that regard the advice remains sound.  :chuckle:

Yandex you claim is owned by the Dutch, that may be so or not, but that doesn't make yandex.ru "Dutch" per se - and you know that.  (:)

I'll disagree with Steve on bk.ru, although you dont often see it any more (was once more common) I dont think it tells us anything much.

Remember when you tried to tell us scammers using "The Bat!" were legit?  :chuckle:

You have minimal (if any) experience of the western-facing FSU dating industry apart from being a punter. You are attempting to bicker with those who know MORE than you and in Steve's case, those who are still in the job. Why dont you pipe down and just accept that this is an area you dont know very much about? And your unusual experiences and women who have had the misfortune to be tangled up with you are by no means typical. 
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »
Moby, this trolling will simply mislead gullible western men. You are being disingenuous and mendacious. You may remember we ran a small dating site and had numerous tie ups with others.

The average Russian bint (who western men may want to meet) is highly unlikely to use western email providers, she will want an interface in her own language. Thus mail.ru, inbox.ru, etc. You KNOW that. Does it mean the odd one who might have one is *definitely* a scammer? No, of course not, but like having "Arabic" in a language field, one may treat it with suspicion and delve into why that may be so.

Women who are/were tangled up with you that you may have inveigled to use western email providers for whatever reason are NOT average women in this regard. Although it may be sound to suggest a woman with a western email address that has been tangled up with you is best avoided. So in that regard the advice remains sound.  :chuckle:

Yandex you claim is owned by the Dutch, that may be so or not, but that doesn't make yandex.ru "Dutch" per se - and you know that.  (:)

I'll disagree with Steve on bk.ru, although you dont often see it any more (was once more common) I dont think it tells us anything much.

Remember when you tried to tell us scammers using "The Bat!" were legit?  :chuckle:

You have minimal (if any) experience of the western-facing FSU dating industry apart from being a punter. You are attempting to bicker with those who know MORE than you and in Steve's case, those who are still in the job. Why dont you pipe down and just accept that this is an area you dont know very much about? And your unusual experiences and women who have had the misfortune to be tangled up with you are by no means typical.

I can tell you absolutely 100% any young women under 30 using a BK.ru mail box is 99.5% a scammer..no its not used very often any more by real women.. but fakes and scammers use bk.ru all the time. I have no idea why but its a fact and any women under 30 using a bk.ru mail is automatically suspended until she has been checked out..

Very easy to check out.. its usually "Traffic source direct " it means the know the web site already and have not found it via search or ads.. If not we have other ways to find out in a minute or two.. Usually the photos give it away on a bk.ru mail box..

As you see the women below all under 30..

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 01:36:47 PM »
And lastly on spotting scammers by their e mail address ..

inbox.ru.  its the worst of the lot.. I can tell you for 100% that EVERY women under 30 using inbox.ru is a scammer of fake..

Usually after being removed with a bk.ru they go straight on to inbox.ru I do not know why but that is how it works..

We remove a min of 300 fakes a week , usually the same groups or people trying to make multiple profiles .. If you don't moderate your web site with an iron rod within just a few days your profile pages will be full of young beauties all with nice teeth and expensive outfits BUT all poor as hell needing help..

The scammer above is a persistent one we remove her 2/3 times a day under lots of different names..she/it/him is actually from Yoshkar-Ola

So be warned

1. Beautiful young women under 30 are seldom looking for foreigners for marriage these days.

2. Any young women under 30 looking sensational with a bk.ru. list.ru inbox.ru.  or hotmail/live/outlook/yahoo
will be a fake and you WILL get scammed..

Offline Manny

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »
When you go back into the late 90s and noughties, bk.ru was a thing you saw often. Similar to list.ru. I know both are now under the mail.ru umbrella alongside inbox.ru although both sound quite old-fashioned now somehow. I assume they were once independent and got swallowed up at some stage?

Maybe a bit like AOL in the UK in the late 90s/early noughties. Back then every man and his dog had six as AOL was a prolific internet provider and you got six email addresses per account. Now AOL in the UK is in the history file and those of us that still have AOL addresses from way back when are under the auspices of "Yoast" whoever they are. I still have some aged AOL addresses I use but wouldn't dream of opening one today (if you even can).

I suppose what Steve is saying is a young woman with a bk.ru nowadays might be as odd as a British woman under 30 having an AOL email. Technically she might be able to get one, but it's unlikely.

Naturally, Moby will now regale us with tales of British teenagers known personally to him who all have AOL accounts and Russian ones that all have bk.ru and list.ru ones, but we can safely disregard such burblings as made up nonsense. I think we can put them in the file alongside all the Syrians he knows who hate Assad, all the Russians he knows that are pining for Navalny, all the Americans he knows who hate Trump, all the Muslims he knows who eat bacon sandwiches and all the middle class Brits he knows who travel in electric cars, read the Guardian and would vote Corbyn in.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »
When you go back into the late 90s and noughties, bk.ru was a thing you saw often. Similar to list.ru. I know both are now under the mail.ru umbrella alongside inbox.ru although both sound quite old-fashioned now somehow. I assume they were once independent and got swallowed up at some stage?

Maybe a bit like AOL in the UK in the late 90s/early noughties. Back then every man and his dog had six as AOL was a prolific internet provider and you got six email addresses per account. Now AOL in the UK is in the history file and those of us that still have AOL addresses from way back when are under the auspices of "Yoast" whoever they are. I still have some aged AOL addresses I use but wouldn't dream of opening one today (if you even can).

I suppose what Steve is saying is a young woman with a bk.ru nowadays might be as odd as a British woman under 30 having an AOL email. Technically she might be able to get one, but it's unlikely.

Naturally, Moby will now regale us with tales of British teenagers known personally to him who all have AOL accounts and Russian ones that all have bk.ru and list.ru ones, but we can safely disregard such burblings as made up nonsense. I think we can put them in the file alongside all the Syrians he knows who hate Assad, all the Russians he knows that are pining for Navalny, all the Americans he knows who hate Trump, all the Muslims he knows who eat bacon sandwiches and all the middle class Brits he knows who travel in electric cars, read the Guardian and would vote Corbyn in.

I don't know what the attraction to bk.ru or inbox.ru is. maybe as they are part of mail.ru and most women in Russian use mail.ru so they don't want their accounts in mail.ru getting confused or something..and mail.ru are very very hot on spam and that sort of stuff I know for sure as I personally know some of the mail.ru abuse team in Moscow.
It is strange but its fact, most scammers will use those two inboxes..in any case most scammers are pretty stupid and dumb people for this reason I have no problems showing a few facts publicly..

We will always catch them.. ;D

Offline Manny

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »
inbox.ru.  its the worst of the lot.. I can tell you for 100% that EVERY women under 30 using inbox.ru is a scammer of fake..

I'll disagree with this.

inbox.ru can only be the "worst of the lot" as its so prolific. My wife had when I met her (and still does) an inbox.ru account. Even I have one.  :chuckle:

inbox.ru is scammy in the same way gmail is scammy because it is prolific in the west (ie - not at all).

If you had a western dating site, many of your clients would arrive using gmail addresses. If some then turned out to be scammers, one cannot attribute the gmail as a factor.

It may be the case that bk.ru and list.ru were domains we saw most in the 00s, but inbox.ru and mail.ru we see daily.

Also if I am setting up a new email with mail.ru or a subsidiary, I may want to choose my name. As it goes, I got my name with mail.ru as its not popular in the Russian speaking world, but imagine if you are called Olga S? You might be offered olgas16784562373518936745@ at mail.ru but olga252525 at inbox.ru.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »

I'll disagree with this.

inbox.ru can only be the "worst of the lot" as its so prolific. My wife had when I met her (and still does) an inbox.ru account. Even I have one.  :chuckle:

inbox.ru is scammy in the same way gmail is scammy because it is prolific in the west (ie - not at all).

If you had a western dating site, many of your clients would arrive using gmail addresses. If some then turned out to be scammers, one cannot attribute the gmail as a factor.

It may be the case that bk.ru and list.ru were domains we saw most in the 00s, but inbox.ru and mail.ru we see daily.

Also if I am setting up a new email with mail.ru or a subsidiary, I may want to choose my name. As it goes, I got my name with mail.ru as its not popular in the Russian speaking world, but imagine if you are called Olga S? You might be offered olgas16784562373518936745@ at mail.ru but olga252525 at inbox.ru.

Well I'm not sure what the reason is or why these fakes use inbox.ru  but they do.

Most women use mail.ru or Yandex.ru although over the last 2/3 years gmail.com is becoming very popular..

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2018, 02:57:19 PM »
Always check the women desired age of partner..

Its always a dead give away.. here is a stupid women from GUESS WHERE?? you got it LUGANSK..

And guess what she's only 25 but looking for a husband from 30-75.. :laugh:

Whats even funnier is her message box is nearly full, its understandable to see why so many men get scammed its lack of common sense and the bit between their legs in charge..

How stupid can you be to write to any 25 year old women looking for a guy up to 75 ? You need stupid tattooed on your forehead to even contemplate writing to such a women/man/it

So pretty young women.. check her desired Aage of partner..

It can't be any easier..

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2018, 04:34:28 PM »
Moby why do you have to be dishonest at every turn. You are spectacular in this respect. I have never come across anyone  like you!

In this one way you are amazing.

Years ago mail.ru closed down their English interface. At about that time I stopped using the interface directly. If there is now once again an English interface that's a good move.

By the way more dishonesty you agreed with Steve's claim to the degree that you even referenced it in your own post. If you knew it to be incorrect why explicitly use the 5% figure in your own post?

Oh Yandex is no more Dutch than Facebook is Russian. Yandex, parent company of mail.ru is a multinational public company listed on Nasdaq. As a multinational there's registered offices in many cuties around the world. Yandex is an early and substantial shareholder in Facebook but that does not make it Russian. Yandex has shareholders around the world including Dutch and American.

As you might recall, you have made similar claims in te past and been corrected at that time. So, now we know that you are dishonest because you repeat as fact stuff you know to be untrue.

Moby why oh why, do you have to be dishonest all the time. You are not bright enough to be close to getting away with it.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »
I was a bit puzzled by Moby's claim that Yandex is a Dutch company.

Here from Wikipedia is the noted information regarding Yandex.

Yandex N.V. (/ˈjʌndɛks/; Russian: Яндекс, IPA: [ˈjandəks]) is a multinational corporation specializing in Internet-related services and products. Yandex is an AI company that provides search and information services, eCommerce, transportation, navigation, and other mobile applications in addition to offering online advertising. Nowadays Yandex provides over 70 services.[3][4] Yandex, incorporated in the Netherlands, primarily serves audiences in Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States. Company founders and most of the team members are located in Russia. The company has 18 commercial offices worldwide.

As we can see Moby once again tries to distort the actual reality. It would be a little like calling IKEA a Dutch company, in fact a stronger case can be made for that claim. But IKEA remains a Swedish based organization while incorporated in The Netherlands. Yandex remains a Russian based firm incorporated in The Netherlands. N.V. is a form of incorporation much like LLC and Inc in the United States.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2018, 11:32:54 PM »
Moby, this trolling

is MY personal experience and suggesting use of 'western' email addresses could mean a scammer IS misleading ...

I DO trust Steve's ability to eek out scammers on his site and therefore you should have a reduced chance of encountering such 'ladies'

You may remember we ran a small dating site and had numerous tie ups with others.

Sure, you asked me not to reveal the ties ups ;)

Your 'logic' is nonsense.  Gmail, etc, have RU lang interfaces in Russia - You should KNOW that ..

Women who are/were tangled up with you that you may have inveigled to use western email providers for whatever reason are NOT average women in this regard.

Thank you for demonstrating your inattentiveness ... there was no 'inveigling' by myself - or any other western guy - given they had the email addresses BEFORE I met  :chuckle:

That applies to the next generation of Russians I have met in reality - FAR more face to face encounters than you and most on here

Although it may be sound to suggest a woman with a western email address that has been tangled up with you is best avoided. So in that regard the advice remains sound.  :chuckle:

Rather pathetic on your part ...  I know your preaching not attacking the poster doesn't apply in my case - as you so are SO often proven to demonstrate remoteness from reality as far as REAL Russia is concerned ;)

Yandex you claim is owned by the Dutch, that may be so or not,

Didn't you check were it is incorporated ?

but that doesn't make yandex.ru "Dutch" per se - and you know that.  (:)

Yandex.com takes you to an Eng lang interface and IF you paid attention - this 'russophobe' uses there services for domains / email and has advocated such usage for some time ...

I SAID that suggesting use of the Bat! suggested a scammer was bollox - given it was THE most popular email client  - not even Russian in origin... How can you expect your readers to believe you - if you post such misleading bollox ?

You have minimal (if any) experience of the western-facing FSU dating industry apart from being a punter.

Hmm ..As a 'punter' and someone setting others up ( male / female ) on such sites - at one time I had an extensive knowledge of the sites - who owned which and could recognise the use of common databases - something you asked me NOT to comment on - until you announced tie ups I'd spotted ... :coffeeread:

You are attempting to bicker with those who know MORE than you and in Steve's case, those who are still in the job.Why dont you pipe down and just accept that this is an area you dont know very much about?

As already pointed out - I'd rely on Steve's 'spidy sense' to weed out a scammer on his site ... based on a lot more info he sees.

And your unusual experiences and women who have had the misfortune to be tangled up with you are by no means typical.

:chuckle:

What was 'unusual' in how I met ANY of the 'unfortunate' FSU ladies? ....   Which of them do not wish to be associated with me ?  Name one ... ONE .....!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2018, 02:12:26 AM »

I'll disagree with this.

23,000 Registrations in 12 months of those 528 were inbox.ru ...

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2018, 06:52:53 AM »
Many Russian companies are incorporated outside Russia for tax and finance reasons. The same thing happens with U.S or British businesses for the same reasons but is notable with Russian firms due, in a significant part, to U.S sanctions.

More broadly, Yandex probably, like many other businesses such as Ford Motor Company, will be incorporated in several countries using a parent/subsidiary relationship. Subsidiaries are majority owned by the parent company; another form, that looks similar in many ways, is an associate. In the associate model, the parent company has minority ownership of the business.

Oh, my apologies, I was wrong about one thing. :)
My recollection was incorrect. In the past, it was Mail.ru and its brands that were discussed in terms of its ownership. :(

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2018, 08:43:40 AM »
Many Russian companies are incorporated outside Russia for tax and finance reasons. The same thing happens with U.S or British businesses for the same reasons but is notable with Russian firms due, in a significant part, to U.S sanctions.

Yandex N.V was registered in 2007 and it's owner is a Maltese citizen, now ;)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2018, 02:10:24 PM »
Scammer Grammer...

"Operation"  "Broken". Usually means Scammer..

Probably Moby met a few girls who had a "broken" toe and needed an "operation"... :laugh: