The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Banking in Russia  (Read 9909 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Banking in Russia
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2018, 01:48:50 PM »

Wifey's British cards continue to work fine there. Remember all that BS about how Visa etc wont work there any more? All crap.  :biggrin:

They didn't and the issue is BACK - online - NOT face to face ... 

I'm not doubting you (actually). Wifey doesn't do anything online in Russia in the way of financials yet (excepting the Sberbank app) because we simply dont trust that they have their shit together yet. They're still catching up with this stuff to be fair. What you have posted kinda backs that up.

You'll probably have some complicated prepay job or something entirely non standard. You like clowning around with financial institutions and are in a perpetual state of dispute with one or more at any given time. It's just what you do.

'Ri-ght '...  Barcleys, TSB and Nat West ;issue' pre-pay cards ?  :chuckle:

I dunno, they might do. My point was that historically, you seem to have hugely complex non-standard setups for all sorts of things that theoretically *should* work but often dont. As we know, it only takes one link in the chain to break and the whole chain breaks.

In fairness, some of your previous "chains" (TV and Sat stuff) have been innovative, noteworthy, ostensibly legal and theoretically excellent. But the inability of many third party partners to work in synch has caused them to fail. I wonder if this isn't the case with your online banking issues in Russia? Russia isn't really ready for anything that isn't bog standard. And "not bog standard" is kinda your mantra.

Buying online with a foreign card can cause issues anywhere. I once bought a Sat Nav and a couple of bits online at WalMart for in-store collection in FL. It went through alright but by the time I arrived it had been cancelled for "card security" reasons. Online retail in Russia is in its infancy, though. Id expect issues. You probably enjoy them very much as you then have new organisations to have disputes with.

I suggest you check in places where ex-pats live and work in Russia  - you'll find it is quite the talking point

My point was that international cards used locally can sometimes cause issues. I gave an example of how that happened to me. I'm not sure what "check in places where ex-pats live and work in Russia" means. Are we talking expat.ru or something more cryptic? I can't be arsed with guessing games. If you have something of use to impart then share a link for chrissakes.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »
Manny

After getting married in Russia, back in 2008, I was facing the problem with Babushka paying the bills for the flat, as until that time it was my Wife who was dealing with everything and Babushka had not a clue.

Thinking ahead at the time, I opened a second account, put enough money to cover wedding expenses and organised for an overdraft and got the debit card, so I can give it to my wife to have it and use it, to pay for the wedding costs etc.

After the wedding Wife and I went to Sberbank to organise DD payments for all our bills and there all sort of problems started and as you say they did not have their shit together, what so ever.

We were told, Yes we can pay your bills but you have to open a new account, you send money to the old current account of my wife and every month we will move money to the new account and pay the bills. When I asked why can't I sent money directly to the new account on a monthly basis and you pay the bills? No that is not possible and never explained to me the reason why. Got fed up talking to a brick wall, went home and decided to let baboushka to have the second card, use ATM take cash out, go to the bank and pay all the bills in one go. I had to train baboushka how to use the card to take money out of ATM, pay bills in the shops and ABTEKA. Luckily she learned fast. rem pincode number and started paying the supermarket.

While on training, a young lady told her this card is not yours but belongs to me and invited me to go and put the pin code. I said to her baboushka can do it with my permission......at the end she had to call the boss and he told her it's OK without me saying a word.

Two years ago, finally, wife went to the bank and organised for all services bills to be paid directly of  Babushkas account.So baboushka go to the bank take money out of ATM and pay into  her account and then the cashier pay all bills at once.  F... :censored: palavra

Last summer when I visited the UFA Net site and there they accept payments by all cards. I decided to pay all bills phone, Internet and TV with my debit card for 6 months, accepted all details tried to Authorise it but was refused. UFA net told me it's banks problem, called Sberbank, was told no problem accepting a card issued in UK and it's UFAnet problem. After 3 months,UFAnet accepted it was their fault and offered me to make payment  via a Russian transfer company, who accepts Visa Debit card. I gave up and continued with Babouska taking cash, put the money in her account and then pay all bills.

Last time I visited my bank, Barclays, was 3 years ago when my friend send me a cheque for my Birthday present!

I am under the impression, when I talk to Sberbank in Moscow, everything looks fine but locally it's still on last century and before I was born.

PS: Sorry for any mistakes.... but have too go to sleep.

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2018, 08:56:39 PM »
So, now that we have accepted that there IS a problem with UK ( and US btw) online payments in RU, I will try to pay from a Cypriot banks this month and see what happens.

Incidentally, I reluctantly opened a Sberbank account and was surprised how progressive they are

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2018, 03:09:51 AM »
Incidentally, I reluctantly opened a Sberbank account and was surprised how progressive they are

Are they opening them for non-resident foreigners again? Or does one use ones innamorata?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2018, 03:30:15 AM »

Are they opening them for non-resident foreigners again? Or does one use ones innamorata?

No idea - *I* was able to open one based on having a 1 year m/e biz visa and being registered at a Ru address AND having a Raiffeisen account and wishing to move due to dissatisfaction with service.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2018, 04:14:58 AM »

It helps if you have money in the bank...as with any bank in the world , money speaks..

Wasn't 3 mill enough ?  :laugh:

Could you lend me a tenner?? ;D
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Manny

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2018, 04:46:09 AM »

No idea - *I* was able to open one based on having a 1 year m/e biz visa and being registered at a Ru address AND having a Raiffeisen account and wishing to move due to dissatisfaction with service.

So the answer is yes, they are opening them again for non-resident foreigners.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 03:42:03 AM »
No.... the was not my answer...why do you feel the need to mislead?

I am sure you could not open an account on a tourist visa

Offline Manny

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »
No.... the was not my answer...why do you feel the need to mislead?

I am sure you could not open an account on a tourist visa

You are a non resident foreigner. That is the classification in banking. Visa is irrelevant if the policy is yes to non-resident foreigners as it once was (and then wasn't). Stop trying to inflate your ego with other nonsense. Anyone can buy a "business" visa and have someone "register" them somewhere. Nor is "having a Raiffeisen account and wishing to move due to dissatisfaction with service" a reason for Sberbank to open an account.

Are Sberbank opening accounts for non resident foreigners at the moment.
You claim to have just opened one, so if true, the answer is yes.

The rest is just noise.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 02:07:47 PM »

You are a non resident foreigner. That is the classification in banking.

According to you - apparently    As I opened a Raiffeisen account in 2014 an the Sberbank account in 2017 and all they wanted to see was my passport, visa -type and registration ...  the Sberbank lass informing me that my Visa category allowed an account to be opened ... the 'noise' would appear to be the guy who DOES go to Russia lots

Registration