The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Shopping in the FSU  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Shopping in the FSU
« on: July 28, 2018, 01:04:48 AM »
For those of us that like to shop, and that have a good eye for a great deal, what are the best items you have bought in the fsu? 

I found great deals on Russian watches, music, lacquer boxes and some nice jewelry although a bit expensive. 

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Shopping in the FSU
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 12:51:24 PM »
I find shopping there difficult. Almost anything you want is imported so costs way more. Anything you do want is "finished" in your size.

I always buy a few antiques, bits of militaria and general Soviet era tat if I know I can move it along and make a profit. I bought some military hats recently in Bosnia similarly.......

I've had some pretty decent barbecue stuff there in the past. And I get my banya oils and other banya accessories from there.

Wifey is there now. I said I'd treat her to a nice fur hat if she finds one she likes. That type of stuff is nice if you buy from the right place, but as with anything you actually want in Russia, not especially cheap.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 09:15:46 PM »
Shopping in Russia is no different from any other Western country today, much has changed over the last 6/7 years, if you want designer brands Armani, Hugo Boss etc you will pay no more in Russia than you would in any other country, and just like most of Western Europe there are sales on nearly every month some where..

I haven't shopped in the UK now for over 6 years , If I need something every thing is on my doorstep in Russia...

Internet shopping has also changed a fair amount over the last few years and is comparable to buying online any where else in the world, wife does 50% of shopping online and there are always sales for most brands.

So no need to go to Paris or London shopping anymore..

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:11:38 PM »
Internet shopping has also changed a fair amount over the last few years and is comparable to buying online any where else in the world, wife does 50% of shopping online and there are always sales for most brands.

How rank the delivery services? Timely and reliable?
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 03:01:13 AM »
While Manny is speaking of Russia, I will note the following regarding Ukraine. Everything in the West of Europe and the United States is also available in Kiev. Some items such as iPhones and lap top computers might be less expensive. Bear in mind the ₴ is fluctuating.

Fine jewelry is much more expensive in Kiev, just visit Tiffany's.

Items purchased on line are delivered by courier and it is not unusual to pay the delivery service for the item upon inspection and satisfaction. The delivery time is usually a day, perhaps two and this can include Sunday.

I think it would be interesting in some one could compare prices of IKEA products in Russia and say The Netherlands.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 04:08:51 AM »
While Manny is speaking of Russia, I will note the following regarding Ukraine. Everything in the West of Europe and the United States is also available in Kiev. Some items such as iPhones and lap top computers might be less expensive. Bear in mind the ₴ is fluctuating.

Fine jewelry is much more expensive in Kiev, just visit Tiffany's.

Items purchased on line are delivered by courier and it is not unusual to pay the delivery service for the item upon inspection and satisfaction. The delivery time is usually a day, perhaps two and this can include Sunday.

I think it would be interesting in some one could compare prices of IKEA products in Russia and say The Netherlands.

I did that once for a new bmw. The website allows to save your config. Tbe .ru quote was half of what .nl wanted. But nl is expensive to own a car.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 04:16:54 AM »
Mark, as a matter of interest, what is the situation if one buys a car in Ukraine?
Does one pay tax on returning to Netherlands?
Is the spec of the Ukrainian cars the same as the Netherlands? I know that many goods sold in 'Eastern Europe' the spec is lower than other markets in order to justify lower prices.
How does the warranty work?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 08:28:44 AM »
The most popular tax evasion method in Ukraine is to purchase a car in say America and bring the vehicle to Ukraine on US plates. There is no import tax as long as the car once a year leaves Ukraine.

Another surprising fact is electric vehicles are not taxed at all in Ukraine, a similar regime exists in The Netherlands.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »
Mark, as a matter of interest, what is the situation if one buys a car in Ukraine?
Is the spec of the Ukrainian cars the same as the Netherlands? I know that many goods sold in 'Eastern Europe' the spec is lower than other markets in order to justify lower prices.
How does the warranty work?
I can't say about other brands, but the Beemers are the same spec , except with Russian board computer.
You get the same warranty as you  would when buying new, but:
- If you wish to drive it with Dutch plates, you will still have to pay the dutch car-duty (BPM) which makes it just as expensive as having bought local.

Best you can do (imho)
- Buy a new car in Netherlands as a foreigner, declare it immediately ready for Export (So you won't pay taxes BPM and BTW (Vat)).
Then import in some other country with low taxes and you have a cheap ride indeed.....

I once wanted to sell my old beemer in Ukraine, they'd pay 5000 - 8000 Euro's for it, whereas in NL i could get 2000-3000 for the same car.

Still, so much paperwork i didn't see it through.
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 12:04:14 PM »
I get it. As I recall, many car manufacturers try, it isn’t always possible, to keep similar sticker prices across the EU so the net price can vary quite a lot due to the tax component.

If one can lose the in a high tax market then prices can look good. Of course, as you pointed out, governments are pretty much wise to such shenanigans.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 03:46:30 PM »

Service and delivery are 100% spot on! We order pretty regularly online. Goods are usually delivered to a depot , we have one in our block or straight to your front door, usually a 24 hour delivery or three days depending what your buying. Payment is made after you have inspected the goods so all pretty easy and reliable..

I think lots of people think anything to do with Russian delivery/post or so on will never turn up, but thats ancient history.

Even have "Next" home shopping ...

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 09:30:43 PM »

Service and delivery are 100% spot on! We order pretty regularly online. Goods are usually delivered to a depot , we have one in our block or straight to your front door, usually a 24 hour delivery or three days depending what your buying. Payment is made after you have inspected the goods so all pretty easy and reliable..

I think lots of people think anything to do with Russian delivery/post or so on will never turn up, but thats ancient history.

Good to hear that delivery services are reliable. As time goes on, more and more purchasing will occur online (for better or for worse). I’ve purchased a few items that have shipped from Ukraine without issue. Don’t think I’ve ordered anything out of Russia yet, probably will soon though.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 09:44:42 PM »

A slightly over rosified picture - surely, Steve ?

If you are used to Amazon Prime like next day delivery - or same day delivery - then unless you are in Piter of Moscow - dream on ,,,

As Steve says, you have to go to a depot and if that's the post office - one can wait some time just to collect a parcel ..  DHL et al will not deliver to a personal address in Moscow - just a company.

We've never  had anything go missing - even when coming from China - via Aliexpress - even if it costs bobbins

But if you want it FAST - and it's from outside Russia - get it delivered in the west and bring it

That said.. if you are in Russia and it is available - we use Ulmart.ru ... If they have it in stock - one can get items delivered 1500 Km or more within 24 to 72 working hours

We gave up on internet shopping for clothes as the refunds time was poor and too much paperwork
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 01:31:45 PM »

A slightly over rosified picture - surely, Steve ?

If you are used to Amazon Prime like next day delivery - or same day delivery - then unless you are in Piter of Moscow - dream on ,,,

As Steve says, you have to go to a depot and if that's the post office - one can wait some time just to collect a parcel ..  DHL et al will not deliver to a personal address in Moscow - just a company.

We've never  had anything go missing - even when coming from China - via Aliexpress - even if it costs bobbins

But if you want it FAST - and it's from outside Russia - get it delivered in the west and bring it

That said.. if you are in Russia and it is available - we use Ulmart.ru ... If they have it in stock - one can get items delivered 1500 Km or more within 24 to 72 working hours

We gave up on internet shopping for clothes as the refunds time was poor and too much paperwork

If you are used to Amazon Prime like next day delivery - or same day delivery - then unless you are in Piter of Moscow - dream on ,,,  Im in St Petersburg so speaking about experience here..

I guess its a little like if you live in some small village in the outer Hebrides you may not get the same service.

But there service in St Petersburg is un fault able ..

No defo not the Post office!! As I said there are collection points all over the city to collect your goods, most housing complexes have one in one of the buildings as its so common now..

Will find some links to post here tomorrow on the matter..

Walk in give them your item number, they tap it up on the computer, the guy goes collects it from the shelves..takes less than 3 minutes..

Not sure where you are doing your shopping to!! But the wife NEVER pays for anything upfront EVER it is delivered as I said to the collection point..

You give them item/ticket number, they bring you packet. You open packet check goods.. IF ok you pay ..

The wife has ordered expensive fur coats, boots, shoes all sorts of stuff NEVER had a problem..

And not  from Umart.ru you think that is the only place in Russia to do online shopping?   :laugh:

Just about every major store has an online store now..

?? Why would I want to order anything from outside Russia?? I mean for example how many Brits order online goods from OUTSIDE the UK??  :sick0012:

Every thing we order is from inside Russia...

Some thing I have noticed over the last few years some people in Russia are clueless about ordering online and in fact have a couple of friends who did not even realise you could order so much stuff so easy online..
Probably the same in any country..

Next time your in St Petersburg give me a shout I will get the wife to give you and your other half some lessons on successful internet shopping in Russia.. :laugh:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 01:51:28 PM »
Dear Steve

As I said .. Piter and Russia are totally different from the provincial cities ((

Re clothes on line - yes we've ordered from several and we posted our experiences on here - some ARE delivered by a courier who will wait while you try different sizes -  but you must pay for the size(s) you don't buy c.500 R per item
They take 5 working days or more to turn up ((

Always happy to learn ;)

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 02:01:21 PM »

Import duty at circa 10% plus VAT on everything is standard to import a car from outside the EU into it.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online AvHdB

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »

Import duty at circa 10% plus VAT on everything is standard to import a car from outside the EU into it.

That is if you title and put local plates on the vehicle. The rules nation to nation are different.

Offline Manny

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 11:07:51 AM »

That is if you title and put local plates on the vehicle. The rules nation to nation are different.

It is not possible to permanently import a car with non EU plates. Dr WG Hill once documented a way in his Tax Free Car Report, but I think even those windows are closed now. One can temporarily import of course. But I know no legal way of importing into the EU without paying duty and VAT (that varies a percent or two either way depending on state). If you find a method to title a car taxes havent been paid on do share, we'll all be rich. I'll start importing cars from the US once more.  :nod:

Online AvHdB

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 11:20:29 AM »

It is not possible to permanently import a car with non EU plates. Dr WG Hill once documented a way in his Tax Free Car Report, but I think even those windows are closed now. One can temporarily import of course. But I know no legal way of importing into the EU without paying duty and VAT (that varies a percent or two either way depending on state). If you find a method to title a car taxes havent been paid on do share, we'll all be rich. I'll start importing cars from the US once more.  :nod:

Manny you are correct if you bring the vehicle from outside the European Union to say the Netherland and get Dutch plates you will pay taxes as Mark describes.

A small point I was not speaking of the EU - but rather a vehicle from say the United States to Ukraine. If a vehicle on US plates leaves once a year Ukraine soil it may return tax free. How long this tax free loop hole will remain is uncertain.

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 12:44:25 PM »
A small point I was not speaking of the EU - but rather a vehicle from say the United States to Ukraine. If a vehicle on US plates leaves once a year Ukraine soil it may return tax free. How long this tax free loop hole will remain is uncertain. [/font][/size]

Yes, some non EU countries permit this. It'd be a bit sticky with a US car as they are hard to export with US plates unless you keep paying for them from what I recall. Export plates are cardboard. I once got around this for a while by having some "show" plates made bearing the export number:king:

But in a country where the car keeps its own plates like the UK, you could theoretically leave Ukraine once a year and return shortly after as a "tourist" again. I think Russia may be a bit tighter on this and it may not be possible there. That is something Moby probably *does* know about if he wants to chime in.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 01:24:33 PM »

Hmm,

I have some VERY recent experience of this re the UK and Russia ..I believe you are mistaken

You CAN import a car to the UK - example from Russia - if settling here - ( No VAST or Duty ) in most cases -same applies to Cyprus and Ireland - so I'm guessing it's an EU practice

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/paying-vat-and-duty

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 11:51:52 AM »
Every one in Russia has a discount card and usually a wallet full of them 5% off here 10% off there..

There is no need to carry 500 cards now when you go out, you can just upload the app..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.cardsmobile.mw3&hl=ru

Scan your cards via your phone and job done..all discount cards in one place..

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 01:08:29 PM »

Hmm,

I have some VERY recent experience of this re the UK and Russia ..I believe you are mistaken

You CAN import a car to the UK - example from Russia - if settling here - ( No VAST or Duty ) in most cases -same applies to Cyprus and Ireland - so I'm guessing it's an EU practice

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/paying-vat-and-duty

There is a broad spectrum of grace for those settling, you are right. But that's only if Hank from Texas decides to come and live in Manchester and bring his Cadillac, for example. That does not apply to most people.

More so an issue for those intending to drive a US registered car in and out of Ukraine (as mentioned above) would be getting it into Poland without hassle. I know from my own experience that Polish cops will pull over and examine a US plated car - often.  (:)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »
Every one in Russia has a discount card and usually a wallet full of them 5% off here 10% off there..

There is no need to carry 500 cards now when you go out, you can just upload the app..

Netherlands has that too. Half the checkouts dont scan it right and the other half i dont want to give them my phone. Deinstalled the app
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2018, 01:34:41 PM »

Netherlands has that too. Half the checkouts dont scan it right and the other half i dont want to give them my phone. Deinstalled the app

They always were a funny lot Dutch checkout assistants..  ;D