The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Brits Relocating to the US – Is This a Trend?  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Brits Relocating to the US – Is This a Trend?
« on: July 12, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »
As we have lots of folks from the US here a good topic I thought. An observation from the last year or two: Many Brits have either relocated, are thinking of doing so, are laying groundwork, etc. It's something I'm seeing more and more. I'm wondering if its a wider trend or just a coincidental bubble of folks I happen to know.

Example: Chap I know, lots of cash, pleasant wife, successful business, nice house, grown up kids. He trots off to GA and starts the carbon copy of his UK business, now has a house, daughter in uni there, identical cars (and even number plates) both sides of the pond, and spends time in both places.

Example: Bloke who works for the guy above: Regular chap, decent job and £, settled, wife, teenage kids etc. Told me recently he plans to sell up when he retires and go live in GA or FL.

Example: Chap I know who has a very successful business, I called in to see him the other day, saw instead his son who said Dad was "at his house in the US where he now spends as much time as he can" - I asked where in the US and his son changed the subject (good lad - he doesn't know me).

These are not isolated folks. This subject is cropping up quite often. When someone is "abroad at his other house" that always meant Spain, France, Portugal or somewhere European. Now it seems to be the US more and more. 

I'm wondering firstly where they're all going. FL has been the traditional stomping ground for Brits, but Atlanta seems to be cropping up in conversation too. And secondly, why? Maybe weather, maybe with Corbyn and another several million Muslims on the horizon, people are getting the hell out and preparing a second life before it all hits the fan.  :chuckle:

Brits used to like to go to Oz and Canada. Oz is notoriously difficult to live in and Canada is so PC, leftist and peculiar since Trudeau got in that nobody goes there now. So the US seems to be the English speaking country of choice again.

I wondered if anyone has any observations or thoughts on the subject?
I apologise.
And so he should.........

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Brits Relocating to the US – Is This a Trend?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
No way would I ever move there!!

I could not stand all those accents every where I went,, it would drive me nuts!!!! Mostly OAP's from the UK go there don't they? Buy some gated house with a golf club.. it would be worse than living in Spain with all the fish and chip shops..

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online d672

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:29:07 PM »
 I'm guessing that Atlanta would be popular because the real estate would be cheap there compared to places like Florida or California. And the climate would still be quite mild. It's quite dark there and there will be areas where you would not want to venture to which is probably a big reason why the pricing is down but I'm sure you could find a lot of nice places there in the suburbs that would be safe.

House prices might be a factor why Canada isn't such a popular destination anymore either. They have really gone crazy the past 5-10 years here. So much so that there are many people here now who are working just to pay their mortgage and car payments. If they lose their income they are only 2-3 months away from financial difficulty. So those pounds of yours would go a lot further moving down there instead... enough so that you lot would be willing to give up our wonderful winter weather here.  ;D

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
I'm guessing that Atlanta would be popular because the real estate would be cheap there compared to places like Florida or California. And the climate would still be quite mild. It's quite dark there and there will be areas where you would not want to venture to which is probably a big reason why the pricing is down but I'm sure you could find a lot of nice places there in the suburbs that would be safe.

House prices might be a factor why Canada isn't such a popular destination anymore either. They have really gone crazy the past 5-10 years here. So much so that there are many people here now who are working just to pay their mortgage and car payments. If they lose their income they are only 2-3 months away from financial difficulty. So those pounds of yours would go a lot further moving down there instead... enough so that you lot would be willing to give up our wonderful winter weather here.  ;D

It's quite dark there and there will be areas where you would not want to venture to which is probably a big reason why the pricing is down but I'm sure you could find a lot of nice places there in the suburbs that would be safe.

That sums up the US.. if you want to move there make sure you take a shot gun with you... :laugh:

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 05:06:15 PM »
I chatted with a lady from England over 20 years ago in a chat room.  She hated the UK weather (too cloudy and cold) and later moved to Hawaii where she likes to sunbathe.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 05:17:48 PM »
I chatted with a lady from England over 20 years ago in a chat room.  She hated the UK weather (too cloudy and cold) and later moved to Hawaii where she likes to sunbathe.

Blimmey!! How old are you? :laugh:

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 05:21:27 PM »

Most likely older than you.    :laugh:

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 05:33:20 PM »

Most likely older than you.    :laugh:

That English women who moved to Hawaii she is probably knocking on 70 now? Yuck must look like an old prune now sunbathing especially if she's into topless..  :laugh:

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 05:16:44 AM »
I don't think topless sunbathing is much o a thing over the pond, Steve.

Grim English weather may be one thing to escape from I suppose.
I apologise.
And so he should.........

Online msmoby

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 05:58:24 AM »
As we have lots of folks from the US here a good topic I thought. An observation from the last year or two: Many Brits have either relocated, are thinking of doing so, are laying groundwork, etc. It's something I'm seeing more and more. I'm wondering if its a wider trend or just a coincidental bubble of folks I happen to know.

Didn't you ask them WHY ?

I'll bet some will say 'Brexit' ;)

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 08:15:09 AM »
I don't think topless sunbathing is much o a thing over the pond, Steve.

Grim English weather may be one thing to escape from I suppose.

But your Pro Russian ? For Mother Russia!! So if your thinking of leaving the UK Russia should  be your number 1 choice ??

You could have a very very good life in Russia.. why wouldn't you come to the Mother land?  :)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
Given enough ackers one can make a nice life in either place. If I were thinking of retiring/retreating to someplace else and the two choices were Russia or the US then if I had enough money (and it'd need to be a fair chunk) the U.S. would probably win. That's for two reasons:
1) language is easily understood by me in places with nice weather and good living standards.
2) well, that's about it.

But then, unless pushed, I would not choose either. :)
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 08:34:49 AM »
Some Brit just moved to St Petersburg a few weeks back but is living the country life out on a Dacha with his wife, chickens and all.. fair play to him..

Out out tonight with some friends from Moscow and some English guy helping him work out how he can come live here..

I have no intentions of leaving, will probably be buried here.. :laugh:

Unless they chuck me out for some thing then it will be Moldova .. can live a nice life there..

I could never live in the USA .. its ok to visit but live no.. If I did move their I would be a hypocrite and that I am not for 100%!!!

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 09:20:27 AM »
Some Brit just moved to St Petersburg a few weeks back but is living the country life out on a Dacha with his wife, chickens and all.. fair play to him..

Out out tonight with some friends from Moscow and some English guy helping him work out how he can come live here..

Unless they chuck me out for some thing then it will be Moldova .. can live a nice life there..

I could never live in the USA .. its ok to visit but live no.. If I did move their I would be a hypocrite and that I am not for 100%!!!

Yes but we have the best kryogenics facilities for freezing your dead body until science can bring you back to life!  :chuckle:

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »

Yes but we have the best kryogenics facilities for freezing your dead body until science can bring you back to life!  :chuckle:

mmm ok I can be a hypocrite  :laugh: :laugh: