The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Stalingrad: Did the Russians use Biological Warfare Agents?  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Stalingrad: Did the Russians use Biological Warfare Agents?
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »
Amazon review about the highly controversial “Other Losses”. You won’t see any of this in an American High School text book.

Other Losses caused an international scandal when first published in 1989 by revealing that Allied Supreme Commander Dwight Eisenhower’s policies caused the death of some 1,000,000 German captives in American and French internment camps through disease, starvation and exposure from 1944 to 1949, as a direct result of the policies of the western Allies, who, with the Soviets, ruled as the Military Occupation Government over partitioned Germany from May 1945 until 1949.

An attempted book-length disputation of Other Losses, was published in 1992, featuring essays by British, American and German revisionist historians (Eisenhower and the German POWs: Facts Against Falsehood, edited by Ambrose & Günter). However, that same year Bacque flew to Moscow to examine the newly-opened KGB archives, where he found meticulously and exhaustively documented new proof that almost one million German POWs had indeed died in those Western camps.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 09:05:41 AM »
This one is the standard bearer for what happened to German civilians who didn’t escape the Iron Curtain. A neighbor lady of mine 80+ years old but strong and mentally sharp told me a tale of her as a little girl escaping the Czech Republic before advancing Soviet troops with only the clothes on her back and a small suitcase.

https://www.amazon.com/Terrible-Revenge-Cleansing-European-Germans/dp/1403973083

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 12:43:50 PM »
The discussion is rather tactless on Independence Day in the United States.

Why, are you really that precious?

No, I am just not an insensitive dolt.

Credible estimates are that a total of about 9.5 million Germans were deliberately starved after the war ended. 

Can you give a link to support this statement?

There are many. try searching "Germans deliberately starved after the war ended.  "

Crimes and Mercies by James Bacque was my source.

https://www.amazon.com/Crimes-Mercies-German-Civilians-Occupation/dp/0889225672

Also for my opinion that Eisenhower deliberately starved German POW’s by the same author is Other Losses.

https://www.amazon.com/Other-Losses-Investigation-Prisoners-Americans/dp/0889226652

I don't see any problem there! Do you?
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 01:29:51 PM »
The discussion is rather tactless on Independence Day in the United States.

Why, are you really that precious?

No, I am just not an insensitive dolt.

Credible estimates are that a total of about 9.5 million Germans were deliberately starved after the war ended. 

Can you give a link to support this statement?

There are many. try searching "Germans deliberately starved after the war ended.  "

Crimes and Mercies by James Bacque was my source.

https://www.amazon.com/Crimes-Mercies-German-Civilians-Occupation/dp/0889225672

Also for my opinion that Eisenhower deliberately starved German POW’s by the same author is Other Losses.

https://www.amazon.com/Other-Losses-Investigation-Prisoners-Americans/dp/0889226652

I don't see any problem there! Do you?

If it was OK for Eisenhower to deliberately starve German POWs (assuming that is what you are referring to) then the Holocaust is similarly unremarkable...
Anchors Rewoven

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2018, 01:45:14 PM »
If it was OK for Eisenhower to deliberately starve German POWs (assuming that is what you are referring to) then the Holocaust is similarly unremarkable...

I'm not so sure about that.  However I do know that thousands of German prisoners
in Holland were not immediately repatriated but were kept against their will to remove
the literally millions of land mines the Germans planted on the Dutch west coat to protect
from allied invasion.  Over 2000 died in the process.

See the movie "Land of Mines"  I watched in on the flight home from Russia last September.     
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »
Who did such a heinous thing?

Everyone who was able to do so, did so.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2018, 03:15:07 PM »
My point is whether or not it was the best way to end a war, it’s still incomprehensible to think it was morally right, to nuke innocent civilians. It’s not an attack on the US it’s a statement of fact. If an unfriendly country to the west even discussed doing similar these days, it would be viewed much differently.....another fact.

My second point is that rather than acknowledge the atrocity it’s always defended or justified. This isn’t a normal reaction.

Carry on.

Everyone involved in the war who had airplanes intentionally bombed civilians.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 03:43:41 PM »
My point is whether or not it was the best way to end a war, it’s still incomprehensible to think it was morally right, to nuke innocent civilians. It’s not an attack on the US it’s a statement of fact. If an unfriendly country to the west even discussed doing similar these days, it would be viewed much differently.....another fact.

My second point is that rather than acknowledge the atrocity it’s always defended or justified. This isn’t a normal reaction.

Carry on.

Yep. They’re just jealous our bombs were more effective.  :nod:

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2018, 05:45:21 PM »
Many in the Japanese military did not want to surrender despite the dropping of the A-bombs.  They wanted to fight to the death and to the last man.  Victory or death was the Fascist motto.

Imagine giving Hitler the nuclear option.  He would gladly wipe out Allied cities off the face of the Earth.  And reconfigure the human gene pool more to his party's doctrine.   >:(
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2018, 01:39:04 AM »

I'm not so sure about that.  However I do know that thousands of German prisoners
in Holland were not immediately repatriated but were kept against their will to remove
the literally millions of land mines the Germans planted on the Dutch west coat to protect

See the movie "Land of Mines"  I watched in on the flight home from Russia last September.     

Are you back in the game Shakey or was it more of a social trip?

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2018, 01:42:54 AM »

Carry on.

Yep. They’re just jealous our bombs were more effective.  :nod:

I’m not sure jealous is the word? I accept the moral compass was on a different path during those tough years but it was true then and still true today - with great power comes great responsibility!

The only thing that waters it down, is that I think it was Spider-Man who said it!!  :chuckle:

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2018, 07:46:51 AM »
Are you back in the game Shakey or was it more of a social trip?

Naw - never again.  I've discovered "renting" is much cheaper than "owning" in the long run. 

Just checking in on my remaining business interests, visiting old friends, playing
in the Night Flight Open golf tournament and any and all "monkey business" associated
with that.

:evilgrin0002:

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2018, 01:53:54 PM »

Thats so typicly dutch. You can leave, but only after you have cleaned up your sh*t.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Registration