The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: British or American English preferred in Russia  (Read 1670 times)

Online Guile

British or American English preferred in Russia
« on: June 30, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »

hey just curious for those who went to Russia or Ukraine, did the people make a big point of your English accent? 

I speak a standard California west coast accent and the Russians I met in Moscow had no problem with it.  Many of my friends told me they prefer a clear US accent over a standard London British.

Now this doesn't take into account all the regional accents.  Say someone from Texas or the south, or mid UK Manchester..those are harder on the ears for me.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: British or American English preferred in Russia
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 04:08:46 AM »
i usually find english non existant in russia and the ones that speak it are happy they can practice and dont care about accents
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 05:36:53 AM »
There is nothing worse in Russia than hearing an American accent..

It is the most annoying thing you can listen to! Why ?? because they are always SO BLOODY LOUD!!   :laugh:

The amount of times we are out having dinner only to be interrupted by some some big mouth usually something like "You know you guys just don't have the service we have back in the states"  Some times I have to even get up and politely ask them to tone it down a bit as Im trying to eat my dinner and have a conversation.. :chuckle:

English accent is by far the best and and most preferred usually much quieter , unless they are watching football..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 09:27:17 AM »
I’ve been complimented on a number of occasions, about my pronunciation. It turns out my rolling R’s and the Scottish accent helps a lot.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »

It is the most annoying thing you can listen to! Why ?? because they are always SO BLOODY LOUD!!   :laugh:

The amount of times we are out having dinner only to be interrupted by some some big mouth usually something like "You know you guys just don't have the service we have back in the states"  Some times I have to even get up and politely ask them to tone it down a bit as Im trying to eat my dinner and have a conversation.. :chuckle:

English accent is by far the best and and most preferred usually much quieter , unless they are watching football..

What he said.  tiphat

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 01:48:37 PM »
Well as an Aussie who was raised across every state and territory, plus NZ north and south, with lengthy stints in Europe and the western USA, I have a very non-distinct accent. I find myself very good at understanding regional accents, and I am told by almost every "English as a second language" client that I have the most easy to understand accent they have ever heard. So I am guessing that makes a "mongrel" better than either purebreed.
Frankly it all comes down to consideration, speaking slower than usual, clear pronunciation of words while using the simpler forms of the language, and trying to avoid slang

Offline yankee

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 01:56:09 PM »
My wife was taught "British" English when she first studied English.  Therefore it was easier for her to understand.  Having lived in the US for over a decade, American English (new England) is easiest for her to understand.  I have a California accent that has been watered down by living several places in Asia and many places in the US.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 04:03:35 AM »
The worst word in the US vocabulary is " Guys"

God I hate hearing that word time and time again "You guys". "Our guys"  :laugh:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 05:01:16 AM »

The American 'accent' along the edges of the country is rather painful to the ears. I suspect the worse being perhaps New Jersey or New York, think D. Trump. My impression most people in the former Soviet Union learn the Queen's English but eventually because the Lingua Franca is the people's English this becomes defacto the most common form of English.

I sort of wonder because there are so many different accents and almost dialects in lands that use English is there a similiar amount of variations in spoken Russian across the country?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 08:03:44 AM »
Any way lets remember one important point..

The English language belongs to the ENGLISH for which the world should be for ever great full  :laugh:

Long live Britannia.  :travel:

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »

The English language belongs to the ENGLISH for which the world should be for ever great full  :laugh:

Lulz.

Meanwhile, if it wasn't for America sending our guys over, you'd be speaking German and growing potatoes for Hitler or Russian and growing beets for Stalin.  :chuckle:  Better to be Airstrip One and keep your own language--or the British Variant of it, anyway.   :chuckle:  Xhrist, the only reason you lot didn't surrender immediately was the only guy you had worth a shit was half-American.  :8)

I have never had a problem having my accent - which only has traces of my regional New England accent left - being understood by English-speaking Slavs.  They tell me that they struggle with thick southern US accents...but really, even native English speakers do.

B/B

Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »
I attend the oldest English speaking church outside the British Isles. Because of the politics at the time the kirk is  The Church of Scotland, what is known in the United States as Presbyterian. A visiting minister from the Outer Hebrides preached one Sunday. Only a few members understood what he was saying.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 09:53:04 AM »
I attend the oldest English speaking church outside the British Isles. Because of the politics at the time the kirk is  The Church of Scotland, what is known in the United States as Presbyterian. A visiting minister from the Outer Hebrides preached one Sunday. Only a few members understood what he was saying.

The highlands and western isles accents, at least the thickest ones, have got somewhat of a Scandinavian twang to it.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »

Lulz.

Meanwhile, if it wasn't for America sending our guys over, you'd be speaking German and growing potatoes for Hitler or Russian and growing beets for Stalin.  :chuckle:  Better to be Airstrip One and keep your own language--or the British Variant of it, anyway.   :chuckle:  Xhrist, the only reason you lot didn't surrender immediately was the only guy you had worth a shit was half-American.  :8)

I have never had a problem having my accent - which only has traces of my regional New England accent left - being understood by English-speaking Slavs.  They tell me that they struggle with thick southern US accents...but really, even native English speakers do.

B/B

B/B. I presume that stands for "Bloody Bullshit".  :ROFL:

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »

Lulz.

B/B

I heard Boston Bomber.

Best hope he doesn’t have coordinates for your high rise.  :laugh:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 01:12:18 PM »

Lulz.

B/B

I heard Boston Bomber.

Re enforced concrete and 18 inches of bombe proof steel ... I sleep well at night.. :chuckle:

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 01:41:39 PM »

Lulz.

B/B

I heard Boston Bomber.

Re enforced concrete and 18 inches of bombe proof steel ... I sleep well at night.. :chuckle:

:chuckle:

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-b-1-bomber-the-supersonic-killer-north-korea-should-fear-21243

Online Guile

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »
My original post was more about how Russians perceived different accents, as usual it turns into a debate about which is best.

The Brits are defensive about their "English", but in reality American English is now the global standard.  Most English language media in the world is based on it.  Movies, shows, Youtube, music, print.

In Russia there may be the odd request for a British teacher, in Asia everyone wants to learn American English.  I've taught in both places.

One word that always cracks me up is "whilst"... an old relic of a bygone era.  Never once have I heard any ESL person say it, Russian or Asian.

Another is "fag" for cigarette!!  how the heck..better not come to America and say "got a fag, mate" unless you want you to get punched in the face!

Online Guile

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 04:09:51 PM »

B/B

There's a youtube video series of a Russian-American woman teaching Russian.  She relocated to Dallas, Texas and has a Russian-Texan accent when speaking English!  it's quite the feat:

btw why doesn't the Youtube button work to show vids, I keep getting an "invalid link" message.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 12:31:30 AM »
To continue a bit on Steve's point about challenging words my guess the most confusing word in English is UP. While I try not to use UP it is not so easy. Not sure where I found this but worth considering.

There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word in the English language, and that is "UP." 

It's easy to understand UP, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP? At a meeting, why does a topic come UP?  Why do we speak UP and why are the politicians UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report? 

We call UP our friends. And we use it to brighten UP a room, we warm UP the leftovers, and we clean UP the kitchen We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP an old car. At other times the little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses. To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special. 

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP. We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night. When it rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP. 

We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP! To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4th of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions. If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more. When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out we say it is sun UP. 

Online AvHdB

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 12:39:11 AM »
btw why doesn't the Youtube button work to show vids, I keep getting an "invalid link" message.

It is a bit clumsy to post a video but the short version is like this.

Click the you tube on control panel [youtube ] [/youtube ] < This is what you get. I added some spaces to show how it more or less works.

Take your video and strip all the stuff before the actual video so on your link you are left with YjVID-fNOvw

Paste this in between the youtube link and you have the actual link.

By the way hilarious video, thanks for sharing. Sadly proves that almost everyone can destroy a great accent.[/font]

Online Guile

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 01:03:31 AM »
AvHdB -what UP man?! never though about all the usages for "up"  Every language has its quirks.

Thanks for the youtube tutorial..  The Russians who had fluent English in Moscow usually had a neutral accent, not really American or British.  The women in general were better at speaking, the men had more of the typical real "Russian" accent.

One guy had a strange mix of British/Dutch/Scandi accent...if you heard him you would think he could be Dutch or Swedish.  He was fluent and you wouldn't ever guess he was Russian.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 02:27:05 AM »
My original post was more about how Russians perceived different accents, as usual it turns into a debate about which is best.

The Brits are defensive about their "English", but in reality American English is now the global standard.  Most English language media in the world is based on it.  Movies, shows, Youtube, music, print.

In Russia there may be the odd request for a British teacher, in Asia everyone wants to learn American English.  I've taught in both places.

One word that always cracks me up is "whilst"... an old relic of a bygone era.  Never once have I heard any ESL person say it, Russian or Asian.

Another is "fag" for cigarette!!  how the heck..better not come to America and say "got a fag, mate" unless you want you to get punched in the face!

I played rugby in Canada for a few years and one of my mates came across for a season. He often asked if he could "bum a fag?" or borrow a smoke.

It was partly a difference in expression but mainly out of mischief.

:)

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 02:31:06 AM »
don't ever ask a  Brit or "colonial" to ROOT for the team  :popcorn:

Online Guile

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 05:11:30 AM »

I played rugby in Canada for a few years and one of my mates came across for a season. He often asked if he could "bum a fag?" or borrow a smoke.

I worked in London in my younger days.  It was like learning a new language!  words like queue, bloody brilliant, mate, rubbish, takeaway, jacket potato, trousers, jumper, courgette...sure was strange figuring this thing called "English"..hahah

Registration