The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: British or American English preferred in Russia  (Read 463 times)

Online Guile

British or American English preferred in Russia
« on: June 30, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »

hey just curious for those who went to Russia or Ukraine, did the people make a big point of your English accent? 

I speak a standard California west coast accent and the Russians I met in Moscow had no problem with it.  Many of my friends told me they prefer a clear US accent over a standard London British.

Now this doesn't take into account all the regional accents.  Say someone from Texas or the south, or mid UK Manchester..those are harder on the ears for me.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: British or American English preferred in Russia
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 04:08:46 AM »
i usually find english non existant in russia and the ones that speak it are happy they can practice and dont care about accents
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 05:36:53 AM »
There is nothing worse in Russia than hearing an American accent..

It is the most annoying thing you can listen to! Why ?? because they are always SO BLOODY LOUD!!   :laugh:

The amount of times we are out having dinner only to be interrupted by some some big mouth usually something like "You know you guys just don't have the service we have back in the states"  Some times I have to even get up and politely ask them to tone it down a bit as Im trying to eat my dinner and have a conversation.. :chuckle:

English accent is by far the best and and most preferred usually much quieter , unless they are watching football..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 09:27:17 AM »
I’ve been complimented on a number of occasions, about my pronunciation. It turns out my rolling R’s and the Scottish accent helps a lot.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »

It is the most annoying thing you can listen to! Why ?? because they are always SO BLOODY LOUD!!   :laugh:

The amount of times we are out having dinner only to be interrupted by some some big mouth usually something like "You know you guys just don't have the service we have back in the states"  Some times I have to even get up and politely ask them to tone it down a bit as Im trying to eat my dinner and have a conversation.. :chuckle:

English accent is by far the best and and most preferred usually much quieter , unless they are watching football..

What he said.  tiphat

I apologise.
And so he should.........

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 01:48:37 PM »
Well as an Aussie who was raised across every state and territory, plus NZ north and south, with lengthy stints in Europe and the western USA, I have a very non-distinct accent. I find myself very good at understanding regional accents, and I am told by almost every "English as a second language" client that I have the most easy to understand accent they have ever heard. So I am guessing that makes a "mongrel" better than either purebreed.
Frankly it all comes down to consideration, speaking slower than usual, clear pronunciation of words while using the simpler forms of the language, and trying to avoid slang

Online yankee

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 01:56:09 PM »
My wife was taught "British" English when she first studied English.  Therefore it was easier for her to understand.  Having lived in the US for over a decade, American English (new England) is easiest for her to understand.  I have a California accent that has been watered down by living several places in Asia and many places in the US.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 04:03:35 AM »
The worst word in the US vocabulary is " Guys"

God I hate hearing that word time and time again "You guys". "Our guys"  :laugh:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 05:01:16 AM »

The American 'accent' along the edges of the country is rather painful to the ears. I suspect the worse being perhaps New Jersey or New York, think D. Trump. My impression most people in the former Soviet Union learn the Queen's English but eventually because the Lingua Franca is the people's English this becomes defacto the most common form of English.

I sort of wonder because there are so many different accents and almost dialects in lands that use English is there a similiar amount of variations in spoken Russian across the country?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 08:03:44 AM »
Any way lets remember one important point..

The English language belongs to the ENGLISH for which the world should be for ever great full  :laugh:

Long live Britannia.  :travel:

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »

The English language belongs to the ENGLISH for which the world should be for ever great full  :laugh:

Lulz.

Meanwhile, if it wasn't for America sending our guys over, you'd be speaking German and growing potatoes for Hitler or Russian and growing beets for Stalin.  :chuckle:  Better to be Airstrip One and keep your own language--or the British Variant of it, anyway.   :chuckle:  Xhrist, the only reason you lot didn't surrender immediately was the only guy you had worth a shit was half-American.  :8)

I have never had a problem having my accent - which only has traces of my regional New England accent left - being understood by English-speaking Slavs.  They tell me that they struggle with thick southern US accents...but really, even native English speakers do.

B/B

Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »
I attend the oldest English speaking church outside the British Isles. Because of the politics at the time the kirk is  The Church of Scotland, what is known in the United States as Presbyterian. A visiting minister from the Outer Hebrides preached one Sunday. Only a few members understood what he was saying.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 09:53:04 AM »
I attend the oldest English speaking church outside the British Isles. Because of the politics at the time the kirk is  The Church of Scotland, what is known in the United States as Presbyterian. A visiting minister from the Outer Hebrides preached one Sunday. Only a few members understood what he was saying.

The highlands and western isles accents, at least the thickest ones, have got somewhat of a Scandinavian twang to it.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »

Lulz.

Meanwhile, if it wasn't for America sending our guys over, you'd be speaking German and growing potatoes for Hitler or Russian and growing beets for Stalin.  :chuckle:  Better to be Airstrip One and keep your own language--or the British Variant of it, anyway.   :chuckle:  Xhrist, the only reason you lot didn't surrender immediately was the only guy you had worth a shit was half-American.  :8)

I have never had a problem having my accent - which only has traces of my regional New England accent left - being understood by English-speaking Slavs.  They tell me that they struggle with thick southern US accents...but really, even native English speakers do.

B/B

B/B. I presume that stands for "Bloody Bullshit".  :ROFL:

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »

Lulz.

B/B

B/B. I presume that stands for "Bloody Bullshit".  :ROFL:

I heard Boston Bomber.

Best hope he doesn’t have coordinates for your high rise.  :laugh: