The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Taxi crashes into crowd in Moscow  (Read 924 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Taxi crashes into crowd in Moscow
« on: June 16, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »
Looks to be driver negligence..

I have heard that the Kremlin has issued a warning to American citizens cautioning of terroristic threats.
If true, it's really different from how safe and welcoming Moscow used to be.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/moscow-taxi-crashes-into-crowd-during-russia-world-cup-2018-6-16/

Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Taxi crashes into crowd in Moscow
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 06:56:37 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 05:29:56 PM »
A taxi driver from Kyrgistan crashed into a group of people on the sidewalk a few hundred metres away from Red Square, injuring 2 Mexican fans, whose injuries weren't serious enough for hospitalization.  The driver says he'd been working 20 hours and momentarily fell asleep at the wheel and then bolted because he was afraid he would be killed by bystanders.  The video available certainly brings into question the possibility that he fell asleep rather than executed a malicious attack.  That being said, it is possible he fell asleep.

Some reports say that all crime reporting is being suppressed during the World Cup so as not raise any alarms.  That being said, I watched Mexico beat Germany today with someone who should have been called into work today if yesterday's incident had been a terrorist attack.  So some kind of benign negligence seems more likely, in my opinion.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 06:22:59 PM »
A taxi driver from Kyrgistan crashed into a group of people on the sidewalk a few hundred metres away from Red Square, injuring 2 Mexican fans, whose injuries weren't serious enough for hospitalization.  The driver says he'd been working 20 hours and momentarily fell asleep at the wheel and then bolted because he was afraid he would be killed by bystanders.  The video available certainly brings into question the possibility that he fell asleep rather than executed a malicious attack.  That being said, it is possible he fell asleep.

Some reports say that all crime reporting is being suppressed during the World Cup so as not raise any alarms.  That being said, I watched Mexico beat Germany today with someone who should have been called into work today if yesterday's incident had been a terrorist attack.  So some kind of benign negligence seems more likely, in my opinion.

Ouch! Is Germany knocked out of the tournament or does it affect only their ranking?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 02:39:40 AM »
The initial stage of the competition is a group round with 4 teams in each group; the two teams in each group with the most points go through to the knockout stage. At this time, after the first game, Germany are still in the tournament and have to play against Sweden and South Korea.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Registration