The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Monaco F1 Grand Prix  (Read 928 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
Re: Monaco F1 Grand Prix
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 09:45:15 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it! Are you a new fan?

It was a strange race - it always felt on the verge of something about to happen, but then, nothing did.

Many drivers, pundits, and fans (myself included) thought this race was a snooze fest. Just wait - next one, in a fortnight,  is Canada, which usually dishes up plenty of action.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:10:52 AM »

It was a strange race - it always felt on the verge of something about to happen, but then, nothing did.

Many drivers, pundits, and fans (myself included) thought this race was a snooze fest. Just wait - next one, in a fortnight,  is Canada, which usually dishes up plenty of action.

Am I a new fan? Well I’m not a consummate fan like Rosco or you but I have attended a couple Grand Prix’s in person. I saw the Long Beach Indy Grand Prix about 20 years ago.

I did see an article that Hamilton thought this Grand Prix was very boring.  :chuckle:

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 11:26:39 AM »

Am I a new fan? Well I’m not a consummate fan like Rosco or you but I have attended a couple Grand Prix’s in person. I saw the Long Beach Indy Grand Prix about 20 years ago.

I did see an article that Hamilton thought this Grand Prix was very boring.  :chuckle:

It wasn't the best GP this year but that's Monaco. The tyres and reliability made it pretty exciting on strategy but rubbish for racing.

The race turned into a procession with the leader basically running at his own pace, because there's nowhere to overtake. If they could fix that, you'd get drivers pushing hard and that's when they stick it in the wall and make mistakes. Qualifying is the best session in Monaco because they brush the barrier at every corner and leave no time on the table. When it comes to the race, they drive within themselves.

It's a glamorous venue, enjoyed it a few years back but the wheel to wheel stuffs non existent sadly. 

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 12:30:22 PM »

It wasn't the best GP this year but that's Monaco. The tyres and reliability made it pretty exciting on strategy but rubbish for racing.

The race turned into a procession with the leader basically running at his own pace, because there's nowhere to overtake. If they could fix that, you'd get drivers pushing hard and that's when they stick it in the wall and make mistakes. Qualifying is the best session in Monaco because they brush the barrier at every corner and leave no time on the table. When it comes to the race, they drive within themselves.

It's a glamorous venue, enjoyed it a few years back but the wheel to wheel stuffs non existent sadly.

Thanks for that explanation! I was actually wondering about that as I was watching it. There didn’t seem to be any place to pass! Ricciardo actually had some power trouble yet he was able to hold on and win.

I was there about 30 years ago but didn’t have money for a ticket. Tried jumping the fence but was rounded up and booted out. Watched part of the race on a TV at a bar.  ;D

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 01:33:52 PM »

Thanks for that explanation! I was actually wondering about that as I was watching it. There didn’t seem to be any place to pass! Ricciardo actually had some power trouble yet he was able to hold on and win.

I was there about 30 years ago but didn’t have money for a ticket. Tried jumping the fence but was rounded up and booted out. Watched part of the race on a TV at a bar.  ;D

That’s not always a bad place to be!  ;D

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 03:53:45 AM »

Rosco - I thought you were an F1 fan. What you just posted proved otherwise

1/ The Tyres - made for a boring race - as if drivers pitted - they would not be able to overtake - so they drove slower and slower - to prolong tyre life - so much for 'strategy'

2/ 'Reliability? .. Please tell that to Messrs, Alonso, Leclerc ( Hartley taken out by the failed brakes of Leclerc) and even the race winner - who though he thought his race was finished - being 160 BHP down - all he had to do was make his car wide enough - as it is nigh on impossible to overtake and the following cars tyres wore out faster - as they lost downforce when following too close .

I'll take the words of a driver Alsonso or Hamilton - over your expertise ... 

Before the race, Hamilton said - this is the best race of the reason - racing at the limit - between the barriers ... We didn't SEE such driving - other than VERSTAPPEN and even he had to slow down to finish the race

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
Re: Monaco F1 Grand Prix - Moby at it again.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 04:41:52 AM »

Rosco - I thought you were an F1 fan. What you just posted proved otherwise

1/ The Tyres - made for a boring race - as if drivers pitted - they would not be able to overtake - so they drove slower and slower - to prolong tyre life - so much for 'strategy'

2/ 'Reliability? .. Please tell that to Messrs, Alonso, Leclerc ( Hartley taken out by the failed brakes of Leclerc) and even the race winner - who though he thought his race was finished - being 160 BHP down - all he had to do was make his car wide enough - as it is nigh on impossible to overtake and the following cars tyres wore out faster - as they lost downforce when following too close .

I'll take the words of a driver Alsonso or Hamilton - over your expertise ... 

Before the race, Hamilton said - this is the best race of the reason - racing at the limit - between the barriers ... We didn't SEE such driving - other than VERSTAPPEN and even he had to slow down to finish the race

Moby, this is exactly the reason I do my best to avoid debating you but seeing as I have a bit of free time this morning, I'll educate you.

1) During the Monaco GP, tyres did come into play on strategy because even the prime was graining badly and there was no way to understand whether they would make the distance. That's why there was a discussion about Kimi gambling, giving away track position but to potentially bring him back into play, should the leaders run out of rubber before the end. As it happened, they did go the distance but we didn't know that during real time.

2) A blown engine or a broken gear box would be terminal irrespective of your nonsense. That's why reliability gives us a variable, which can strike at any time. Nursing a car to the end in Monaco isn't what I was referring to. Alonso didn't finish because of gear box issues and Leclerc took out Hartley due to guess what......reliability.

Therefor back to my original post, tyres and reliability made it pretty exciting on strategy (we didn't know what was going to happen) but rubbish for racing.

Do you feel stupid for confirming my point or did your attempt at an argument whet your whistle?

:ROFL: :ROFL:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: two boring GPs and why
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 06:51:27 AM »
Rosco

As I pointed out,  Hamilton was looking forward to the race and why..

They didn't race or push as they were worried about pitting and not being able to overtake slower cars  - even if on faster, more sticky tyres.

The leader was down 25% on power ( no electric energy boost ) and held up the train behind - who DIDN'T wear out their tyres as they simply didn't push and they kept back to retain downforce AND FUEL - underfilled due to their normally being safety cars ... NOT my words ... Theirs...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136346/probably-the-most-boring-race-ever--alonso

Now, I spent yesterday pm watching the  Formula E race in Zurich and THEN the Canadian GP

The former was brilliant - plenty of nose to tail action, followed by OVERTAKING...  The Championship leader  came from 17th on the Grid up to 6th, fell back to 12th with a drive through penalty and got back to 10th

ONE driver did more overtaking than all the 20 F1 drivers who once within 2 seconds of the car in front lose downforce and couldn't out-brake the car in front - over-heating their brakes and engines, tyres and engines...a snooze fest

Because of the aerodynamics of the cars, overtaking at many circuits is now done in the pits ((

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
Re: two boring GPs and why
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »
Rosco

As I pointed out,  Hamilton was looking forward to the race and why..

They didn't race or push as they were worried about pitting and not being able to overtake slower cars  - even if on faster, more sticky tyres.

The leader was down 25% on power ( no electric energy boost ) and held up the train behind - who DIDN'T wear out their tyres as they simply didn't push and they kept back to retain downforce AND FUEL - underfilled due to their normally being safety cars ... NOT my words ... Theirs...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136346/probably-the-most-boring-race-ever--alonso

Now, I spent yesterday pm watching the  Formula E race in Zurich and THEN the Canadian GP

The former was brilliant - plenty of nose to tail action, followed by OVERTAKING...  The Championship leader  came from 17th on the Grid up to 6th, fell back to 12th with a drive through penalty and got back to 10th

ONE driver did more overtaking than all the 20 F1 drivers who once within 2 seconds of the car in front lose downforce and couldn't out-brake the car in front - over-heating their brakes and engines, tyres and engines...a snooze fest

Because of the aerodynamics of the cars, overtaking at many circuits is now done in the pits ((

And I don't disagree with this post but I do stand by my original observation. Strategy & reliability gave us the only interest in the race because the racing was non existent. We didn't know if the primes would go the distance or if all the cars would stay in one piece. Neither of these things in the end gave us any drama but we didn't know at the time.

Now after Canada, F1 needs to change because that race is usually up there with Spa when it comes to enjoyment. The aero wake, tyre saving, fuel saving, engine saving, brake cooling etc all mean nobody is racing. Everyones managing their race and trying to avoid future grid drops from wear and tear.

It's rubbish to watch.

Offline ?ManyQuestions?

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 09:49:43 PM »
Does anybody here besides me watch dirt track racing whether it be sprint car, midget, late model, A/B modified, or hobby stock. I like the short 1/4 and 3/8 mile high bank tracks better than the 1/2 miles.

here is an example of what I am talking about.

Sprint Cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RGvqS6D_y8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD9ZD-BjC34

Late Models: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUe72ylgb1M

Midgets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_tANaSvtA

Sadly, the only place that that this form of dirt track racing is popular that I know of, outside the US and Canada, is Australia. I have met some cool Australians, most of which live in the Midwest now. One of which is a sprint car engine builder. I met a driver that still lives in Australia 11 years ago, Ryan Farrell at Knoxville for the world challenge race. (A driver must race at least 10 races outside the US to be able to race in the World Challenge race.)

Does Europe or Russia have any dirt track racing besides dirt bike races?

I think dirt track racing could be popular in Europe if it is not there already.

Also, the off-road dirt trucks are fun to watch also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8kZRMpP8cw

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 01:27:08 AM »
Scramble bikes, moto-cross, World Rally Championships - to name but a few

My fav US 'off' road is the Pike's Peak Race - more a time trial - but - literally - on the edge

http://ppihc.org/