The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Raiffeisen Russia, Financial Monitoring and 'security'  (Read 706 times)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Raiffeisen Russia, Financial Monitoring and 'security'
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2018, 07:06:00 AM »
Rabo in nl = raffaisen

For the good order RABO bank is not part of the Raiffeisen Group and never was. RABO was founded on the principles of Raiffeisen and has in fact remained quite close to the core Christian values since its inception. They are involved primarily in food and agriculture ventures.

RABO declined opening up in Ukraine and Russia because of the transparency issues there. Though they maintain offices to advise clients, primarily Dutch, in both Kivy and L'viv.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 09:18:11 AM »
For those who use Transferwise, an easy enough way around the problems we see above is to use the Transferwise Borderless account and get hold of their debit card.

You can make payments to bank accounts from the account directly if you need to. That means you can pay bills. They do not yet offer regular automated payments but as I recall that is on the list of things to do.

With the debit card, you can spend wherever you want without paying for the privilege, apart from the forex cost which is pretty low. You can make withdrawals from ATMs for free, up to a lowish limit and pay a small fee for larger transactions.

The other thing to do is to get a proper bank account in the country(s) in which you find yourself. It isn't hard to do and makes life much easier. Using a 'foreign' bank will always be slightly more restrictive than using a local one. There may not be good reasons for that, but that's how it seems to be.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 11:29:08 AM »
Andrew .......   Noby Said

Quote: Thanks for explaining to those with reading comprehension issues

Thanks to Moscow kicking a kick from Vienna - all sorted - the bank accepts we DID write and explain and our explanations ( with statements to match the corresponding transfer from the UK )  were not acted upon - free banking for a year - as a sorry

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:  :king:
"If you enjoy eating healthy food, visit: www.greekcooking.uk

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 11:36:31 AM »
I ordered a transferwise borderless account debit card when in Cyprus and it awaits me in the UK.

I have a bank account in Russia, but have been advised that if it sees large transactions it could attract too much interest as I am not resident.

I only use it when I am there.

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »
For those who use Transferwise, an easy enough way around the problems we see above is to use the Transferwise Borderless account and get hold of their debit card.

You can make payments to bank accounts from the account directly if you need to. That means you can pay bills. They do not yet offer regular automated payments but as I recall that is on the list of things to do.

With the debit card, you can spend wherever you want without paying for the privilege, apart from the forex cost which is pretty low. You can make withdrawals from ATMs for free, up to a lowish limit and pay a small fee for larger transactions.

The other thing to do is to get a proper bank account in the country(s) in which you find yourself. It isn't hard to do and makes life much easier. Using a 'foreign' bank will always be slightly more restrictive than using a local one. There may not be good reasons for that, but that's how it seems to be.

I've gone to Starling Bank for my business, it's a virtual bank only, no bricks and mortar, so far so good, no charges (rare for a business account), debit card, no charges home or abroad, and very transfer wise looking foreign transfer arrangement. Normally in UK business accounts take weeks to open, this took half a day.

For person I'm thinking of trying Monzo, I've open an account, opened in 30 secs, similar to Starling, card on its way, it's the future.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 12:07:17 PM »
Rabo in nl = raffaisen

For the good order RABO bank is not part of the Raiffeisen Group and never was. RABO was founded on the principles of Raiffeisen and has in fact remained quite close to the core Christian values since its inception. They are involved primarily in food and agriculture ventures.

RABO declined opening up in Ukraine and Russia because of the transparency issues there. Though they maintain offices to advise clients, primarily Dutch, in both Kivy and L'viv.

Rabo = raffaisen boerenbank. I worked on their servers so rabo = raffaisen
https://www.rabobank.com/nl/images/historisch-nieuwsblad-2012mrt-raiffeissen.pdf
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 01:01:48 PM »
Yes, Transferwise.com are not unique in this space but their full use would address the issues moby found.

As they are not a bank there's some additional benefits that I will leave it to the seeker after insight to research for himself but, again, they are not unique.

One additional institution that has proven very useful is the post office. They have a handy function whereby if one pops a small item in an envelope with a stamp and address for the recipient then just a few days later that item is received.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 03:55:55 PM »
Yes, Transferwise.com are not unique in this space but their full use would address the issues moby found.

As they are not a bank there's some additional benefits that I will leave it to the seeker after insight to research for himself but, again, they are not unique.

One additional institution that has proven very useful is the post office. They have a handy function whereby if one pops a small item in an envelope with a stamp and address for the recipient then just a few days later that item is received.

:laugh: