The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Champions league final Kiev  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Bruce Lee

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
Champions league final Kiev
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:13:33 AM »
The perils of holding Europe’s footballing centrepiece in a banana republic (without any bananas)  (:)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-merseyside-44241955

If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Champions league final Kiev
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »
The perils of holding Europe’s footballing centrepiece in a banana republic (without any bananas)  (:)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-merseyside-44241955

Not sure why you are blaming Ukraine for shortage of planes to lease and the travel company wanting to use larger planes  - more passengers - when the movements at KBP were already maxxed out

For more facts - check aviation news
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Wiz

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 05:07:19 AM »

Not sure why you are blaming Ukraine for shortage of planes to lease and the travel company wanting to use larger planes  - more passengers - when the movements at KBP were already maxxed out

For more facts - check aviation news

Can you please give a link to your information?

Basic Facts: The tour operator is not responsible for the Slots permission but the airline.

Charter flights are on Rolling slots and not on standard times as the schedule flights.
Schedule flights have also to apply and get allocated gates, so the charters get whatever is available. obviously the Kiev airport can only handle and service a certain amount of large aircrafts, at the same time.... or during the day, like every other airport on the world.

Checking the Flight Numbers it appears the flights were booked with Ethiopian Airlines using Boeing 787-800 Dreamliner with max seating of 270 passengers. 

I read this comment at the Liverpool "Echo", which I found very strange.

"Mr Soni from World Choice Sports, insisted they had not done anything wrong and said he would try to fix the chaos as best he can.

We are puzzled as to why they refused to give us slots for these three aircrafts, but they will give permission for 65 private jets".

Let's not forget that there is also "Kiev Zhuliany International Airport" and I think between them they could handle the short peak number of flights.... if necessary.

From my previous experience with Ukrainian Hotels, I think there is another reason for the flights cancellation, most probably luck of sleeping accommodation.... for one night!

I remember back in 2005, I was selling long weekend to kiev to Scottish fans to watch a match with Dynamo Kiev, in October. After I sold out the 20 rooms allocation I had with Ukaina Hotel, I requested another 20 Rooms and was only offered  5 rooms with a statement NO MORE rooms.

My contract was for $50 Dollars a night and I was told if you want more rooms.....there will cost £80 Dollars........ When I check with other hotels.... they gave me the same price!  (:)

Obviously the price went over the roof..... and despite that I had availability with the Ukraine International Airlines.... No more bookings, due to the higher Selling price.

The travel company appears to have had problems also in Rome......with Liverpool's previous game.

:coffeeread:

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 05:24:32 AM »
Wiz

They booked larger planes than agreed - and more passengers

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 05:54:50 AM »
I suspect Wiz, who has expertise in the travel field is quite correct.

It is worth noting that I have never seen a Boeing 787 at Boryspil KBP. Also most private flights are going to Zhuliany IEV.

I suspect the hotel that Wiz is indicating is Ukraina Hotel in Perschesk.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Wiz

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 10:17:21 AM »
Wiz

They booked larger planes than agreed - and more passengers

NOBY

I asked you to give me the link.... but as usual you are not reading but in a hurry to dispute everything I write.

I read 3 different papers apart from the BBC link and I did not read anything like your comments. I also visited the CAA site..... nothing too.

You complain that I do not give links and you NEVER give any. If you want to make any discussion... follow your advice!

Personally I have explained what I discovered and what it's my view.  :evilgrin0002:

AV

It is the UKRAINA HOTEL above the Globe on the side of Maidan Square.

:biggrin:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »
PS

There was me think Maidan Square - (Майдан Незалежності) was the other side of Khreschatyk Street ....   

Can you get ANYTHING right ?

Offline Wiz

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 04:53:47 AM »
PS

There was me think Maidan Square - (Майдан Незалежності) was the other side of Khreschatyk Street ....   

Can you get ANYTHING right ?

Take a look at my avatar!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 11:31:35 PM »
Indeed, an angry and VERY young man ... wishful thinking ?

Try and deal with your howlers - by checking facts before posting ...  You've  not been to Antalya Airport - and even suggest I wasn't there on Friday evening / Saturday am ..

Pegasus and Thomas Cook Airlines know otherwise, as does my bank statement ( drawing Euros to pay for a Visa) and my passport  ... :chuckle:

Registration