The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Where would you be?  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Where would you be?
« on: May 11, 2018, 05:48:25 AM »
If you had the choice to live in any time (Ok well just for 20 years so you can get back on your smart phone) when would it be?

For me 100% it would of been around 1492 discovering new countries , it must of been great those days to land on foreign shores that have never been discovered before. I guess seeing a few natives throwing some spears would be comparable to arriving on a new planet only to be met by aliens  :laugh:

One of my favourite movies and sound track

Vangelis Conquest of paradise

I could just imagine myself on the bow jumping onto the beach and kissing the sand ... Christ life is so bloody boring in the 21st Century!!
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Where would you be?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 05:57:18 AM »
I'd choose 4500. hopefully we will have learnt by then that wars are nothing and all is good around the planet.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 06:12:16 AM »
I'd choose 4500. hopefully we will have learnt by then that wars are nothing and all is good around the planet.

That would be a little risky! Maybe you would arrive and humans had slowly become genetically changed over the years, maybe they will have a darker skin a few more hairs on the chest and back and it was fashionable to wear white gown ..  :laugh:

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:39:22 AM »
I'd go back to June 23 2016.

Watching Moby kick and scream like a little spoiled child, as he digests the Brexit result....great sport!  ;D

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 12:15:41 PM »
I'd go back to June 23 2016.

Watching Moby kick and scream like a little spoiled child, as he digests the Brexit result....great sport!  ;D

I remember that day very well! We were in Moldova on holiday I woke at about 4 am checked the ?? It was like a clapometer Hughe Green used in opportunity knocks :) Brexit was in the lead... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 02:50:47 PM »
 Aso the UK gets told it's scientists can no longer  tender for work on the EU sat positioning project is it any wonder I kick and scream ?

Project fear was fact and like those that thought Trump would be great some folks haven'the woken up, yet
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 04:35:28 PM »
I would like to be in Vienna in the late 1800s (plenty of classical music and pre-industrial revolution lifestyle).  After the Industrial Revolution, society totally changed.  Long live the Luddites.   :chuckle:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 05:50:55 PM »
Where would you be?

Hmm....1507.

My profession: Giant.

At Christmas, I would put the star on top of the Royal Christmas tree. In 1508, I would wander over to Italy and Watch Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel. I'd suggest he give God some "noodly appendages"  :chuckle:

I'd wander Europe, lending myself out as a debt-collector, man-at-arms, circus freak and the dewd who would put the star on top of the Royal Xmas tree.

After 20 or so years, I'd turn up in Muscovy, where I would take the fatherless Ivan IV under my wing. I would make sure the lad was well-fed and protected from the Boyars, and then when he got to be Tsar for Real at age 16, I'd have one bad-ass army at my disposal.  I'd open up trade with Britain a couple of decades early, and get rich off the vig.

If things got dull, I'd wander over to Central America and take up a profession as a "white skinned god" like Quetzalcoatl or Viracocha.

On my way back, I'd shoot ahead to 2040 or so and get one of those "Back to the Future" sports almanacs then, back to drop in on my 15 year old self, fill him in on "How Shit Works in Life" as well as "Microsoft: Buy at the IPO" and "Bitcoin: get in early" as well as "Take Russian the moment you get to university" and so forth. :8)

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 08:46:07 PM »
For me 100% it would of been around 1492 discovering new countries , it must of been great those days to land on foreign shores that have never been discovered before.

Many ships looking for land that never been discovered didn't land on their shores, they turned around, mutinies happened, or they sank. Dangerous seas, scurvy, and stinking men will be your constant companion on the suicide mission.

We already know wars are bad. Human nature is violent and will always be violent. In the past, like animals, we consume life to survive. The future will be the same.....except we'll be using more lethal methods to kill.

For me, I like to go back to the 1980's. It's a time where we had a lot of modern luxuries, like a land line phone, air conditioning, automobiles, showers, toilets and the internet will be around the corner.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 10:21:03 AM »
Aso the UK gets told it's scientists can no longer  tender for work on the EU sat positioning project is it any wonder I kick and scream ?

Project fear was fact and like those that thought Trump would be great some folks haven'the woken up, yet

Can you try and say that without crying/lying?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
Pretty much whenever one might end up, life would be brutal, dirty and short. That applies today just as it has over history.

Just like those who claim to have lived a previous life and were Cleopatra, or Julius Caesar - everybody imagines that they'd live a gilded life, safe and healthy.

So, unless one could also choose one's station in society and exact geographic location the chances are that nobody reading this would, even if they could choose the period, find themselves, in the past, with a life that was an interesting, well-informed, healthy and safe as the life they have today.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Jerash

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 03:04:08 PM »
1950s. I like the tinted life I never had.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 03:06:57 PM »

Anyone who isn’t is in your brain is sleeping.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 03:48:43 PM »
Anyone with a brain questions more than a useful idiot...

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 08:56:20 PM »
1950s. I like the tinted life I never had.

:thumbsup:

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »
Where would you be?

Hmm....1507.

My profession: Giant.

At Christmas, I would put the star on top of the Royal Christmas tree. In 1508, I would wander over to Italy and Watch Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel. I'd suggest he give God some "noodly appendages"  :chuckle:

I'd wander Europe, lending myself out as a debt-collector, man-at-arms, circus freak and the dewd who would put the star on top of the Royal Xmas tree.

After 20 or so years, I'd turn up in Muscovy, where I would take the fatherless Ivan IV under my wing. I would make sure the lad was well-fed and protected from the Boyars, and then when he got to be Tsar for Real at age 16, I'd have one bad-ass army at my disposal.  I'd open up trade with Britain a couple of decades early, and get rich off the vig.

If things got dull, I'd wander over to Central America and take up a profession as a "white skinned god" like Quetzalcoatl or Viracocha.

On my way back, I'd shoot ahead to 2040 or so and get one of those "Back to the Future" sports almanacs then, back to drop in on my 15 year old self, fill him in on "How Shit Works in Life" as well as "Microsoft: Buy at the IPO" and "Bitcoin: get in early" as well as "Take Russian the moment you get to university" and so forth. :8)

B/B

tiphat  :laugh:

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 07:54:17 PM »
2250. It's a number I picked. I'd like to see how the human race totally screwed itself by trashing this planet. I figure the human population will of maxed out by than, the oceans will be void of fish and it's ability to clean the planet will have begun.
 A bit from but for me it would be fascinating to see how we will be living in 200 years and beyond.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 02:08:26 AM »
For me 100% it would of been around 1492 discovering new countries , it must of been great those days to land on foreign shores that have never been discovered before.

Many ships looking for land that never been discovered didn't land on their shores, they turned around, mutinies happened, or they sank. Dangerous seas, scurvy, and stinking men will be your constant companion on the suicide mission.

We already know wars are bad. Human nature is violent and will always be violent. In the past, like animals, we consume life to survive. The future will be the same.....except we'll be using more lethal methods to kill.

For me, I like to go back to the 1980's. It's a time where we had a lot of modern luxuries, like a land line phone, air conditioning, automobiles, showers, toilets and the internet will be around the corner.

That is because they had a weak captain ... there would be no mutinies on my ship!! All the families of the my crew would be interned until we return with strict instructions for swift executions should I not return..  :smokin:

Besides my crew would be hand picked by myself.. tiphat

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 06:41:10 AM »

That is because they had a weak captain ... there would be no mutinies on my ship!! All the families of the my crew would be interned until we return with strict instructions for swift executions should I not return..  :smokin:

The shores had long before been discovered, only not by the United States.

It is obvious Steve that you have never done an offshore passage. More important though you have have the same attitude of those who perished offshore.

It would be better to leave this sort of voyage to those who have the skills and attitude that ensures a likely successful end. But you would make a great sf novelist, move your journey to outerspace and starting tapping the keyboard.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 08:36:54 AM »

The shores had long before been discovered, only not by the United States.

It is obvious Steve that you have never done an offshore passage. More important though you have have the same attitude of those who perished offshore.

It would be better to leave this sort of voyage to those who have the skills and attitude that ensures a likely successful end. But you would make a great sf novelist, move your journey to outerspace and starting tapping the keyboard.

No No No!! I could do it for sure!! Perseverance in the face of adversity  :laugh:

Im a survivalist put me in the middle of the amazon and I will make my own way home.. no need to be rescued.. :8)

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »
One thing I find funny about this thread is that everyone skips over the impossibility of "time travel" and then wants to argue about this or that problem of day to day life.  :chuckle:

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
One thing I find funny about this thread is that everyone skips over the impossibility of "time travel" and then wants to argue about this or that problem of day to day life.  :chuckle:

B/B

Perhaps we should give Steveboy a moniker Stevles Burne?  :popcorn:

Offline Jerash

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 04:48:53 PM »
2250. It's a number I picked. I'd like to see how the human race totally screwed itself by trashing this planet. I figure the human population will of maxed out by than, the oceans will be void of fish and it's ability to clean the planet will have begun.
 A bit from but for me it would be fascinating to see how we will be living in 200 years and beyond.

I figure that planet earth gains about half a second of further life for each year you won’t be in it. So, there’s reason to hope!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 11:36:09 PM »

B/B

'Impossible', huh ? The Vulcans said that and Captain Archer of the first starship Enterprise proved them wrong ..

Online AvHdB

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 07:53:59 AM »

B/B

'Impossible', huh ? The Vulcans said that and Captain Archer of the first starship Enterprise proved them wrong ..

:chuckle:  Good One Moby!