The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Telegram Messenger / voice app banned in Russia - fallout  (Read 774 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Telegram Messenger / voice app banned in Russia - fallout
« on: April 18, 2018, 03:00:05 PM »
I use Telegram - when a signal / connection is bad - it  handles calls better than Viber, Skype, WhatsApp, etc.,   Russians introduced it to me

Now it's been banned in Russia - as the media regulator wanted encryption algorithms handed over - so the  security services could monitor traffic.  However, telegram works on the principle that conversations are end to end encrypted using random pore-shared keys, so there was no way they could comply with the media regulators demands

Do terrorists use this medium because of security   / privacy it offers - undoubtedly

As I couldn't call Russia using Telegram for voice calls it was suggested we use Google Duo

I had never heard of it - but the video quality was OUTSTANDING...better than SKYPE, et al

I'm not so sure about the audio as I can hear my audio coming back from the other end on conference calls - but if Google get this right - they will replace SKYPE for me

It seems heavy on data usage when on home internet and seems to cut down the bandwidth used with one party using mobile / cellular data 

Give it a try and let me know what you think
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Registration