The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Love In A Bottle  (Read 973 times)

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
Love In A Bottle
« on: April 12, 2018, 08:58:50 PM »
Well I'm fresh back from a little R&R oceanside so I've got the sea on my mind. I stumbled across this cute story the other day which brought to me a smile.

‘While sailing on the open ocean in 1955, a young Swedish man named Ake Viking addressed a message in a bottle to "someone beautiful and far away" and ended the note with, "write me, whoever you are." Two years later, Viking received a letter from a young Italian woman named Paolina. "I am not beautiful," she wrote "but it seems so miraculous that this little bottle should have traveled so far and long to reach me that I must send you an answer." The two began a correspondence and eventually Viking sailed to Sicily to meet Paolina in person. He thought she was beautiful and they were married soon after.’

Truth or fable, I think that's a great story. And it would appear that it's actually true.

http://hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/man_meets_wife_via_message_in_a_bottle   
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

• Supporting Hero Member
Re: Love In A Bottle
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:00:26 PM »
The Police - 'Message in a Bottle'

"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 04:25:42 AM »
Great Story, thanks for sharing
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 10:04:41 AM »
Great Story, thanks for sharing

tiphat

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 05:07:32 PM »
This was in the news about a couple in FL who found a bottle in the sea thrown out there by some children in Scotland three decades ago.  The school children did it to try out and see what would happen if someone could find their message in the bottle.  The teacher said she was surprised that it was found after that long a time. The couple plans to travel to Scotland to meet the school children.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/offbeat/florida-couple-finds-message-in-a-bottle-from-scotland-thats-more-than-30-years-old/ar-BBIvhh7
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 09:16:36 AM »
This was in the news about a couple in FL who found a bottle in the sea thrown out there by some children in Scotland three decades ago.  The school children did it to try out and see what would happen if someone could find their message in the bottle.  The teacher said she was surprised that it was found after that long a time. The couple plans to travel to Scotland to meet the school children.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/offbeat/florida-couple-finds-message-in-a-bottle-from-scotland-thats-more-than-30-years-old/ar-BBIvhh7

That's great! Notes in bottles are such simple things but a lot of fun if/when you find one!

I've never had the pleasure of discovering one myself, but I did have a (sort of) similar experience as a kid. Once my dad and I were walking along the beach down in the Keys when we discovered one side of a pilot's headset. Dad immediately started to make up crazy stories about an epic crash and all of this craziness but really we just figured that someone had carelessly dropped their headset out of one of the many open-cockpit float planes that are common in the region. Then in the next day's local paper we read that a light airplane had gone down within about a mile of where we had been walking, putting two people in critical condition. We weren't sure if we should laugh, cry or send flowers.  ???