The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: BBC propaganda  (Read 305 times)

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
BBC propaganda
« on: April 10, 2018, 12:58:59 PM »
My wife very seldom gets angry or overly vocal about the way Russia or Belarus is portrayed by the western media. I recall the last time being a few months back when we watched Russia with Simon Reeve.

I usually enjoy watching the bloke but in the episode he visited Moscow, he only spoke to one woman who felt aggrieved at the political situation and that was it. Very unbalanced, very political and not typical. The rest of the series was generally about the size of the country, travel, scenery & the like. We thought it fortunate that the only person the BBC spoke to in Moscow held such views.

This morning she kicked off and actually wrote to the BBC in response to this article;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43499874

It’s about Belarus and we’re told that 3 out of 4 Balarusians experience domestic violence. In her opinion it’s complete rubbish and she wanted to know why every article seems to be a negative one.

Any thoughts?

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: BBC propaganda
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
My wife very seldom gets angry or overly vocal about the way Russia or Belarus is portrayed by the western media. I recall the last time being a few months back when we watched Russia with Simon Reeve.

I usually enjoy watching the bloke but in the episode he visited Moscow, he only spoke to one woman who felt aggrieved at the political situation and that was it. Very unbalanced, very political and not typical. The rest of the series was generally about the size of the country, travel, scenery & the like. We thought it fortunate that the only person the BBC spoke to in Moscow held such views.

This morning she kicked off and actually wrote to the BBC in response to this article;

It’s about Belarus and we’re told that 3 out of 4 Balarusians experience domestic violence. In her opinion it’s complete rubbish and she wanted to know why every article seems to be a negative one.

Any thoughts?

Of course every Russian women is beaten by her husband , if not by her husband by her neighbour or someone!! Its why guys go searching for a Russian women to save them from the beatings... :ROFL:

We had a neighbour who seemed to be beating his wife just the other day and someone pinned a big notice at the bottom of the hallway that if he continues the police will be called.. have not heard him recently.. maybe he got the message..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 02:14:47 PM »

Any thoughts?

Typical Western anti-Russia anti-FSU propaganda. I realize that doesn't make it any less exasperating. Meanwhile in London death by knife attack is clearly on the rise, and how many wives in London and elsewhere in the UK get badly beaten due to Sharia style justice?

How many children have been groomed and raped by "Asian" gangs? Of course in the bizarre World of U.K. PC culture, poor white children getting badly abused and raped by muslim gangs isn't too important, right? Better to deflect attention away from the smelly horse manure on your own doorstep, by criticizing Belarus, right?

The BBC is more and more a pile of sh*t trying to justify their existence.  :coffeeread:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 04:29:10 PM »

Any thoughts?

Perhaps because of your wife's action this article was redacted. It clearly states 10% of women suffer domestic violence.

But the article early on notes and I qoute The subjects of the photos are the survivors of domestic abuse in Belarus, where according to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), three out of four Belarusians - both men and women - have experienced some form of violence at home.

Even 10% is unacceptable but in much of the world this is within the 'norms'  :sick0012: Part of me though is very suspect of an 75% abuse percentage.

I am disgusted of most actions of the UN, look at most recent vote of the Security Council.  :dh:
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 06:16:28 PM »
I have experienced domestic violence first hand within my family tree.  When two people disagree on issues and one or both have a short temper, it often leads to the notion "I am going to beat some sense into you".   :fighting0025: >:( :GRRRR:

Compromise is out the window when this happens.  The most common extreme ending to this disagreement is often an estranged relationship that can sometimes lead to murder and suicide.   :(

Any thoughts?

Some people will say ANYTHING to get money from you (or to push some specific agenda).  Trust me.  There are many of them out in this world and the internet is just another avenue for them to search for their targets.   :evilgrin0002:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 02:45:38 AM »
Vox pops and suggested quotes from supposedly random individuals are the stock in trade of any reporter and news desk. They know that a single vox pop from a credible granny means more in terms of swinging emotions than a thousand rational data points.

It is worth remembering that the words you see on a page might have little semblance to anything anyone actually thinks. For example, a simple trick used by reporters is to phrase a question in the following format: "would you say it is possible that Vladimir Putin eats babies for breakfast" the response of a rational human might well be in the format "yes, but not very likely".

In print the previous exchange can legitimately be used in the following form: Mrs. X told us that she thinks Vladimir Putin is a baby eater.
One can even turn it into a first-person quote something like Mrs. X said: "Vladimir Putin eats babies." That's enabled by the interviewee using the word 'yes' in response to the question posed by the reporter and it is always considered reasonable to use the question framed as the reply in a quote form.

That means in the article referred to, that people 'quoted' in the piece never said, or held the opinions, that are attributed to them by the writer.

More than that, it is entirely normal for a journo to be sent out with specific instructions as to the angle the story should take in order that it fits the editorial position of the news outlet and the chosen narrative for any given issue. I used to think that this was one reason why the journos I worked with tended toward dipsomania - the job can be very stressful when working to a fixed viewpoint. On the other hand, perhaps writing about yet another cat stuck up a tree on the Clifton Estate has the same effect!
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 05:33:36 AM »
There is a story regarding W. C. Fields and a reporter asked if he liked children.

His reply was "yes, if well done".
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 06:53:23 AM »

I have it stored on my Sky box and - funnily enough - do not recognise your version ..  Part 1 had Mr Reeves crew being openly followed by the FSB and his camera crew taken in for questioning - then they were shipped out of the region ? WHY ? They questioned the amount of Chinese investment in the East ..   Can you imagine RT screaming if they were treated like that in Britain ?

Any thoughts?

Good on her for writing, if she feels it is bollox...   but her complaint should be addressed to UN FPA ..not the BBC, surely - as the BBC reported THEIR data