The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Why Cyprus is a GREAT place to go with a FSU partner  (Read 1051 times)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Why Cyprus is a GREAT place to go with a FSU partner
« on: March 06, 2018, 02:43:16 AM »
I lived on this island for nearly 10 years.

It is divided on ethnic grounds - no thanks to the Brits divide and rule policy - to keep their military bases ( amid calls for independence)  AND Kissinger's interference in '74 - persuading the Greek Junta to try to overthrow the govt of Archbishop Makarios ( 'Commie in a Cassock') and ended up with Turkey moving in ( Peace movement / invasion - depending on your ethnicity)

I lived in Limassol - on the 'strip' and haven't been there for 10 years

I learnt my 'Russian', there - as much former Soviet apparatchik 'loot' ended up there in the early nineties - during the break up of the USSR. I provided Satellite TV for Brits/ Irish and - later FSU folk

SC has never been there and as our apts were rented out in Sochi - it was the perfect opportunity to look up old friends and see what had changed

Limassol is THE place to live if you need to work -but want to be near the sea. The only downside being the grey sand

As SC and I walked among the eucalyptus trees forming a barrier from the road noise to the beach - every other person spoke Russian rather than being a 'Greek' Cypriot

The menus in restaurants are in Greek, English and Russian  and even shop assistants know Russian - as many are 'Pontian' ( Black Sea ) Greeks who were invited to settle at the time of the break up of the USSR

Then we went over to the 'dark side' - as the Greeks and Turks respectively call each other's side - the north - which is an officially ( UN Sec Council vote ) an unrecognised state.. 'TRNC' - Turkish Republic of northern Cyprus ( only recognised by Turkey )

FSU folk can enter via the Republic - Russians just apply online and print off their visa - and can cross to the north - but as the north is unrecognised one CAN fly there - but only via Turkey and your FSU partner won't be allowed to cross to the south ( 'illegal port of entry') - unless you are married ...

The peoples' may not ( think)  they are able to live side by side  - but are friendly, everywhere.

Post Crimea 2014 - I have noted more RU speakers in the north - which is more unspolit - if you know where to look

It's a great place to get married - as there is easy access to most embassies - need to get a letter to prove one is free to marry and the Brits just need to swear an affidavit

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
Re: Why Cyprus is a GREAT place to go with a FSU partner
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »
Ahhh Cyprus, we love it! myself, wifey and daughter have been a number of times over the last 6 or 7  years, was there last in August and September last year. We have been all over the island including the Turkish sector, which was actually a really nice experience, crossing the border and all that.  We've done all the touristy things,  followed the green line, visits to the ghost towns, Farmagusta, Salamis, Varosha,  the historic stuff Paphos etc, the greek nights, cruises, hired speedboats and swam at places like Cape Greko and  Aphrodite's Rock and much much more, too much to mention.

The place is amazing, the people are very nice and friendly, food is great, amazing sandy beaches and the weather fantastic too, they drive on the proper side of the road, the left, just like us!  :nod:  they use British 3 pin plugs, what is there not to like about the place. :)

I am currently semi retired, but plans are to take early retirement later this year if all works out with selling of businesses etc and if that happens my wife will also give up work and we will spend 3 - 4 months during the winter in Cyprus, can't wait!

Online msmoby

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 11:27:43 AM »
Ahhh Cyprus, we love it! myself, wifey and daughter have been a number of times over the last 5 - 6 years, was there last in August and September last year. We have been all over the island including the Turkish sector, which was actually a really nice experience.  We've done all the touristy things,  the green line tours, visits to the ghost towns, Farmagusta, Salamis, Varosha,  Paphos the historic stuff, the greek nights, cruises, hired speedboats and swam at places like Cape Greko and  Aphrodite's Rock  and much much more, too much to go into.

The place is amazing, the people are very nice and friendly, food is great and the weather fantastic too, they drive on the proper side of the road, the left, just like us!  :nod:  they use British 3 pin plugs, what is there not to like about the place. :)

I am currently semi retired, but plans are to take earlyt retirement later this year if all works out with selling of businesses etc and if that happens my wife will also give up work and we will spend 3 - 4 months during the winter in Cyprus, can't wait!

Hi Chris

I was daft to leave - but V wanted her son to be educated in the UK

My fav place to hire a speedboat is from Latsi - north of Paphos on the Akamas - to  'Fontana Amorza'

https://goo.gl/maps/K3iDnHcEsiR2

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »
Ahhh Cyprus, we love it! myself, wifey and daughter have been a number of times over the last 5 - 6 years, was there last in August and September last year. We have been all over the island including the Turkish sector, which was actually a really nice experience.  We've done all the touristy things,  the green line tours, visits to the ghost towns, Farmagusta, Salamis, Varosha,  Paphos the historic stuff, the greek nights, cruises, hired speedboats and swam at places like Cape Greko and  Aphrodite's Rock  and much much more, too much to go into.

The place is amazing, the people are very nice and friendly, food is great and the weather fantastic too, they drive on the proper side of the road, the left, just like us!  :nod:  they use British 3 pin plugs, what is there not to like about the place. :)

I am currently semi retired, but plans are to take earlyt retirement later this year if all works out with selling of businesses etc and if that happens my wife will also give up work and we will spend 3 - 4 months during the winter in Cyprus, can't wait!

Hi Chris

My fav place to hire a speedboat is from Latsi - north of Paphos on the Akamas - to  'Fontana Amorza'

I have hired them mainly in Protaras, Fig Tree Bay area and travelled along the coast South to Cape Greko and the radar station on the cliffs, can't really go much further that way unless you have lots of time. Can't really go much North from there obviously because of the Turkish guards patrolling the sea and land / beach area around Farmagusta.

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 11:37:55 AM »

Hi Chris

Yes it's an amazing place! we are off to Ukraine in June for 3 weeks, but hope to get back to Cyprus maybe August / September time,  dependant on daughter going to Uni etc.

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »

Hi Chris

If we go to live over winter, we have already made our minds up to base ourselves in the Paphos area, lots to do around there and easy to travel to most parts from there also.

Online msmoby

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 01:17:29 PM »
dependant on daughter going to Uni etc.

OMG..

Doesn't time fly !

What does she hope to study ?

Offline Chris

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 01:42:42 PM »
dependant on daughter going to Uni etc.

OMG..
H
Doesn't time fly !

What does she hope to study ?

Yes it does, she has been accepted (subject to A level results) at Lancaster, Manchester and Leeds universities, Lancaster is her preferred one though, it has an excellent reputation and ranked highly, she was there Saturday as it happens on a taster day. She will be doing business and finance.

However, she has just done a weeks work experience at BAE, only two from her college got approved, she has applied there also for an apprenticeship in Project Management and Finance, she loved it, she has got through 3 stages so far and interview is next, if she gets offered a job there she will take it, it would be silly not too, getting paid to do a degree and with all the opportunities that are available to her there is a no brainer, it is always well over subscribed but so far so good.

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 10:31:52 PM »
Morning to you both, Chris and Moby

Chris regards to your wife and congrats for daughter.

Have been to Cyprus 3 times, travelled a lot around, including the North, have relatives there.... and I agree with Chris that Paphos is more interesting place, huge contrast from the North....but I liked Kyrenia and the very cheap fresh fish.by the port.

I can only guess that Moby is staying in the North  so I have something for you.

Read this article..... you may find it interesting before is deleted again by .....

http://europeanlawblog.eu/2018/03/05/lounes-naturalisation-and-brexit/

Enjoy your time....... ;D

PS: Moby first time I saw you writing something interesting and not been belligerent or PIA.
"If you enjoy eating healthy food, visit: www.greekcooking.uk

Online msmoby

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 12:32:35 AM »
Morning Chris,

Thanks for the update. My eldest is closer to thirty than twenty, now and it is scary how fast time flies

Great to see how well the little 'un's adapted.

Wiz, thank you.  We spent time in Paphos, Limassol, Larnaca and Kyrenia districts

SC is till there - on a 3 month Visa .. loving the CY Oranges and other local produce

I know about Lounes, thanks and the (London)Derry lass who has just won a test case in Belfast - allowing her US hubbie to reside in the UK - using the 2004/38/EC route - she was told she was 'British' and couldn't but pointed out the agreements of the Good Friday Agreement and that she chose to be Irish ..

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/12/derry-woman-us-born-husband-uk-emma-de-souza

Offline Chris

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 01:13:58 AM »
Morning to you both, Chris and Moby

Chris regards to your wife and congrats for daughter.

Have been to Cyprus 3 times, travelled a lot around, including the North, have relatives there.... and I agree with Chris that Paphos is more interesting place, huge contrast from the North....but I liked Kyrenia and the very cheap fresh fish.by the port.

Thanks Wiz, yes there are many places that are worth visiting, the lovely weather helps of course.

Offline Chris

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 01:15:16 AM »
Morning Chris,

Thanks for the update. My eldest is closer to thirty than twenty, now and it is scary how fast time flies

Great to see how well the little 'un's adapted.

Time, goes quicker than we realise, especially if you are having fun  :)  ......we are away later this month / early next month for a few days, reason is, we have been married 10 years this month, blimey!

Online msmoby

Well, having enjoyed the break, SC is still out there - trying to help sell the house for our friends - showing folks around

T'other morning as we chatted on SKYPE  - I was still in bed and SC was sunbathing - we heard a row - screaming - lots of shouting - eventually
Police Sirens and then gun shots ?

Turns out the Landlord of a place nearby was 'giving it the beans' - but with the wife of his tenant - and the husband turned up ( unexpectedly ) and caught them at it ...

There ensured a 'Crime of passion' as the furious husband - apparently' made his wife stab the lover ( the landlord) and the neighbours attacked the attackers ..got it ?

The Police arrived and fired into the air to disperse the revengeful neighbours..

SC ?  She just carried on sunbathing ....

I found this from an Azerbaijan ) newspaper.

http://vesti.az/news/357027

The house is still on the market in this quieter neighbourhood - if any one is interested .....

Online msmoby

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 08:31:12 AM »
After 10 years most places change a lot - but not Cyprus...  it is stuck in a rut - while both 'sides' blame each other, when it is clear that it is time a new generation try to sort things out between them ....the problem being - will Turkey 'allow' it ?

The 'rump'  RoC is recovering from it's Euro crisis - having been a little too involved in Greece

Russian money has continued to flow in - despite bank accounts having over 100,000 Euros having an enforced haircut to help in the banking crisis

A new bank Russian Commercial Bank has sprung up - winning Cyprus 'bank of the year' in 2017 http://www.rcbcy.com/en/

Frankly, I find this part of Cyprus to be more western and tidy - but it has got v.expensive.

A new marina has been built in Limassol and the offices are in Cyprus, Piter and Moscow ... 

limassolmarina.com

Then there's the 'north'... By a UN security council degree - it's creation as a 'state' is not to be recognised and one can only fly here from Turkey or enter via 'the south'

We know know Russians from Samara, Ufa and folk from other former SSRs that have settled here and love it  - before a Russian speaker was rare - but now - I think it's the Crimea factor - Russian speakers are quite common

The Kremlin has threatened to recognise the 'TRNC' - the 'north' but will it - given it's ties with the Orthodox Christian 'south' ?

The north is like the twilight zone

We spotted one 178 ( Moscow) plated car and a ferry from Trabzon to Sochi may restart - so it might be fun to try a road-trip

Yesterday, we found a beautiful beach that was deserted -one that would be heaving elsewhere.  The 'govt' have made it an ecology zone and the beach  restaurant is powered by wind and solar. A generator is permitted in the evening to maintain fridge / freezers

SC was modelling the sheep dog bra ( rounds them up and points them in the right direction)

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 03:26:01 PM »
After 10 years most places change a lot - but not Cyprus...  it is stuck in a rut - while both 'sides' blame each other, when it is clear that it is time a new generation try to sort things out between them ....the problem being - will Turkey 'allow' it ?

Have you spoke to any Turkish Cypriot born in the north?

You will be surprised what they have to say about Turkey and Ertogan... and mostly about the immigrant colonisers from Anatolia........

Before the invasion there was only 80.000 and now with the colonisers are nearly 400.000 and the TC hate them.

Thanks to Kissinger and the UK. Divide and rule.!

:evilgrin0002:
"If you enjoy eating healthy food, visit: www.greekcooking.uk