The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian convicted of spying for the Brits poisoned (?) in the UK West Country ?  (Read 44968 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43295134

Critically ill man 'former Russian spy'

"A man who is critically ill after being exposed to an unknown substance in Wiltshire is a Russian national convicted of spying for Britain, the BBC understands.

Sergei Skripal, who is 66, was granted refuge in the UK following a "spy swap" between the US and Russia in 2010.

Police declared a major incident on Sunday after a man and a woman were reported ill at a shopping centre in Salisbury.

The substance has not been identified.

Police are investigating whether a crime has been committed, following the incident which began at 16:15 GMT on Sunday at the Maltings shopping centre in central Salisbury.

Skripal, who is a retired Russian military intelligence colonel, was jailed for 13 years in 2006 for spying for Britain."
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Ex-Russian double agent Skripal & daughter were exposed to nerve agent, police confirm https://www.rt.com/uk/420740-russia-spy-wiltshire-agent/

Nerve agents? A Policeman in a serious condition?

Not your everyday poisoning

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline dcguyusa

"Multiple people have been treated, around 21 people, including the man and woman found on the bench,"

Investigators have identified the nerve agent used on the pair, but are not making it public at this point.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/03/08/uk-officials-say-21-people-treated-in-ex-russian-spy-poisoning.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/nerve-agent-used-to-poison-sergei-skripal-was-extremely-rare-2018-3
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nerve-agents-deadliest-chemical-weapons-194325408.html

Anyone who plays around with WMD material is not going to worry about collateral damages.   :evilgrin0002:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
Ex-Russian double agent Skripal & daughter were exposed to nerve agent, police confirm https://www.rt.com/uk/420740-russia-spy-wiltshire-agent/

Right, but proving it will be another matter. Just like proving who killed Litvinenko. Polonium is not something your average day killer/terrorist/etc. can acquire. It almost screams "state kill" from the start, yet noone proved it was russia yet.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

Right, but proving it will be another matter. Just like proving who killed Litvinenko. Polonium is not something your average day killer/terrorist/etc. can acquire. It almost screams "state kill" from the start, yet noone proved it was russia yet.

I read in the papers yesterday (don't know which one as I read them all when I've time), An ex MI5 boss stated that it was most unlikely that Russia was involved, and that the whole thing stinks of a set up to blame Russia...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED

'Sure'

It wasn't a serving member of the Duma..

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED

I read in the papers yesterday (don't know which one as I read them all when I've time), An ex MI5 boss stated that it was most unlikely that Russia was involved, and that the whole thing stinks of a set up to blame Russia...

That's one theory - but what would be the point? - it's not exactly like UK - RU relations are 'great' and what good does blaming the Kremlin do - other than proving HMG are powerless to prevent such attacks?

Sergey Larov is telling us in Britain that's it's hysterical propaganda ... this isn't Russia ... Maskirovka isn't something the UK are very good at.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
OMG..

No wonder 'we're hysterical' ..

Russian Pervy Kanal News anchor ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/video/News/sergei-skripal-russian-state-tv-anchor-kirill-kleimenov-rare-traitors-live-old-age-a8246666.html

"it is 'rare that traitors live to old age'

Does that apply to 'patriots', too ? ;)

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20

As far fetched as that sounds, you could well be right. It's reasonable to ask, why would Russia do something so obvious in the UK, that would lead to an enquiry?

A bit like why would Assad use chemical weapons on his own people, having just been told what would happen if we used chemical weapons on his own people.

I doubt the Russian government or Assad are stupid.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
What we seem to be witnessing is a repeat of a modus operandum of the UK in respect of Russia that we have seen before. If the killing of former 'intelligence operative' turncoats was a policy for Russia then, of course, we would have seen it in other places - we haven't.

Does it make sense for Russia to have one policy for turncoats living in the UK and another for everywhere else in the world?

Does it make sense for Russia to be killing off 'sensitive' targets in the UK, or anywhere else, at this time?

Occam's Razor suggests that whatever happened in the UK it is more likely to be about the UK than Russia.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
What we seem to be witnessing is a repeat of a modus operandum of the UK in respect of Russia that we have seen before. If the killing of former 'intelligence operative' turncoats was a policy for Russia then, of course, we would have seen it in other places - we haven't.

Does it make sense for Russia to have one policy for turncoats living in the UK and another for everywhere else in the world?

Does it make sense for Russia to be killing off 'sensitive' targets in the UK, or anywhere else, at this time?

Occam's Razor suggests that whatever happened in the UK it is more likely to be about the UK than Russia.

I’m no Putin fan but these modus operandi do seem a bit Dr. Evil ish.

On the other hand Putin is a wiley fox, certainly a million times brainier than thicko Trump, so double bluff? He’s ruthless enough that’s for sure.

I think not though...

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
....certainly a million times brainier than thicko Trump.....

:laugh:

Come on buddy, just let that bile calm down and enjoy your weekend.

:8)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Dr Evilish, yes.

Objectively, it makes no sense for any sensible Russian, in a position to do so, to order the assassination of anyone sensitive at this time.

The only way that such a scenario works is if the authorization came from somebody who was an opponent of the current government and state of Russia and that is pretty circular as it would also mean that such a person was actually an ally of the UK government.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline dcguyusa

I doubt the Russian government or Assad are stupid.

History is replete with errors, mistakes, blunders, foolish actions.  History always repeats itself.

So who killed Kim Jong Un's half-brother?  Obviously the CIA to foment a nuclear war with the DPRK.  (:)

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
From a historical standpoint one can look at the assassination of Trotsky by Stalin.

This happened elsewhere and it certainly had nothing to do with Mexico.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
A chemical weapons attack on British soil, with a high chance of collateral casualties outside the ‘intended target’, in full view of the public.

It’s just too reduculous. If they wanted the bloke dead, he’d have disappeared or died with pin point precision.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
A chemical weapons attack on British soil, with a high chance of collateral casualties outside the ‘intended target’, in full view of the public.

It’s just too reduculous. If they wanted the bloke dead, he’d have disappeared or died with pin point precision.
Yep, but of course new sanctions against Russia over this 'incident' are being prepared by the UK.

Right, tried, convicted and found guilty without a shred of evidence it was Russia.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online rosco

• Supporting Member

Yep, but of course new sanctions against Russia over this 'incident' are being prepared by the UK.

Right, tried, convicted and found guilty without a shred of evidence it was Russia.

Exactly that. We can't prove it wasn't Russia but there's no proof it was. But lets just ramp up the hostility and add more sanctions anyway.

I went for a pint after work last night and I heard randoms talking about Russia doing this and Russia doing that. It's sad to see the state of society and shows you the power of the media.

:dh:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Some suggest it's a message to expats...from Moscow

If so McMafia, was closer to fact than fiction

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Well, it's all kicked off in the UK - with the PM stating on the evidence so far - the poison used was a Russian designed nerve agent - 'Novichok' ( New kind ?)   

In combination with RU state-owned media suggesting the 'UK isn't a safe place for traitors' it does rather point to a hit that used the sort of stuff only states control.

The UK isn't well-known for Maskirovka ( deception ) - nor bumping off / taking out opposition....   Moscow does seem  to have a large number of unfortunate events befalling opposition folk abroad and even has legislation to allow retribution

On a personal front, I don't want RU - UK visas to be affected for normal folks 

Two sides of the coin:
UK.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43381880

Russia: https://www.rt.com/news/421126-lavrov-response-uk-skripal/

I hardly think Mrs May is 'under pressure' to blame the Kremlin... if the boot was on the other foot - and ( say ) Philby had been killed by a UK brand of nerve agent....

IF Moscow had jumped in and offered help - instead of the state run media talking about traitors 'not growing old' - they'd look a LOT less 'guilty'

Offline dcguyusa

“It came from Russia,” Tillerson said, according to the Associated Press. “I cannot understand why anyone would take such an action. But this is a substance that is known to us and does not exist widely.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-ousts-tillerson-will-replace-him-as-secretary-of-state-with-cia-chief-pompeo/ar-BBKaaqF?li=BBnb7Kz

Why do such a thing?  To test the biological weapon on a small scale to see its effect and to how to deploy it when you want a higher kill ratio.   :evilgrin0002:

Offline Ste

• RIP
Well, it's all kicked off in the UK - with the PM stating on the evidence so far - the poison used was a Russian designed nerve agent - 'Novichok' ( New kind ?)   

In combination with RU state-owned media suggesting the 'UK isn't a safe place for traitors' it does rather point to a hit that used the sort of stuff only states control.

The UK isn't well-known for Maskirovka ( deception ) - nor bumping off / taking out opposition....   Moscow does seem  to have a large number of unfortunate events befalling opposition folk abroad and even has legislation to allow retribution

On a personal front, I don't want RU - UK visas to be affected for normal folks 

Two sides of the coin:
UK.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43381880

Russia: https://www.rt.com/news/421126-lavrov-response-uk-skripal/

I hardly think Mrs May is 'under pressure' to blame the Kremlin... if the boot was on the other foot - and ( say ) Philby had been killed by a UK brand of nerve agent....

IF Moscow had jumped in and offered help - instead of the state run media talking about traitors 'not growing old' - they'd look a LOT less 'guilty'

Remember Georgei Markov, the Bulgarian bumped off by some secret service on a London Bridge with some poison on the end of an umbrella? There is past history of the Soviet Bloc doing people with overly complicated methods.

I believe, it was Mr Putin, in the pub, in Salisbury with the poison.....

Offline Ste

• RIP
In the meantime, the England Football Team prepare for the World Cup this year in Russia....

Offline dcguyusa

He said: "It's a brazen attack. Putin thinks he can use everything to kill enemies. They don't tolerate any opponents.

"They should be punished. It's an open demonstration of this Russian terrorism.

"The Russian government is telling people who are thinking about revealing more secrets that they can expect the same fate."
http://www.businessinsider.com/novichok-scientist-vil-mirzayanov-describes-nerve-agent-used-on-sergei-skripal-2018-3?r=UK&IR=T

http://www.newsweek.com/russia-threatens-attack-us-forces-if-trump-strikes-syria-again-843128

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-russia-demands-samples-nerve-agent-103334655.html

Who could be behind this?  Maybe ISIS to bring about a nuclear war between west and east?  But, Putin said that he would destroy the world if Russia is attacked, so ISIS must walk a fine line.  But, they still have the 72 virgins in the afterlife, so a destroyed world may not be a bad thing.   :chuckle:

The incident was timed to harm Putin in Sunday's election - 'this is the purpose of this provocation', he said

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5492781/Scientist-reveals-horror-lethal-nerve-agent-Novichok.html

Ahh, here we have the real reason.  To meddle in Russia's upcoming election.  A nuclear war is the only thing to stop a Putin victory.   :chuckle:

Registration