The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian convicted of spying for the Brits poisoned (?) in the UK West Country ?  (Read 9511 times)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43295134

Critically ill man 'former Russian spy'

"A man who is critically ill after being exposed to an unknown substance in Wiltshire is a Russian national convicted of spying for Britain, the BBC understands.

Sergei Skripal, who is 66, was granted refuge in the UK following a "spy swap" between the US and Russia in 2010.

Police declared a major incident on Sunday after a man and a woman were reported ill at a shopping centre in Salisbury.

The substance has not been identified.

Police are investigating whether a crime has been committed, following the incident which began at 16:15 GMT on Sunday at the Maltings shopping centre in central Salisbury.

Skripal, who is a retired Russian military intelligence colonel, was jailed for 13 years in 2006 for spying for Britain."

Online msmoby

Ex-Russian double agent Skripal & daughter were exposed to nerve agent, police confirm https://www.rt.com/uk/420740-russia-spy-wiltshire-agent/

Nerve agents? A Policeman in a serious condition?

Not your everyday poisoning

Online dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet

Online dcguyusa

"Multiple people have been treated, around 21 people, including the man and woman found on the bench,"

Investigators have identified the nerve agent used on the pair, but are not making it public at this point.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/03/08/uk-officials-say-21-people-treated-in-ex-russian-spy-poisoning.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/nerve-agent-used-to-poison-sergei-skripal-was-extremely-rare-2018-3
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nerve-agents-deadliest-chemical-weapons-194325408.html

Anyone who plays around with WMD material is not going to worry about collateral damages.   :evilgrin0002:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
Ex-Russian double agent Skripal & daughter were exposed to nerve agent, police confirm https://www.rt.com/uk/420740-russia-spy-wiltshire-agent/

Right, but proving it will be another matter. Just like proving who killed Litvinenko. Polonium is not something your average day killer/terrorist/etc. can acquire. It almost screams "state kill" from the start, yet noone proved it was russia yet.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

Right, but proving it will be another matter. Just like proving who killed Litvinenko. Polonium is not something your average day killer/terrorist/etc. can acquire. It almost screams "state kill" from the start, yet noone proved it was russia yet.

I read in the papers yesterday (don't know which one as I read them all when I've time), An ex MI5 boss stated that it was most unlikely that Russia was involved, and that the whole thing stinks of a set up to blame Russia...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online msmoby

'Sure'

It wasn't a serving member of the Duma..

Online msmoby

I read in the papers yesterday (don't know which one as I read them all when I've time), An ex MI5 boss stated that it was most unlikely that Russia was involved, and that the whole thing stinks of a set up to blame Russia...

That's one theory - but what would be the point? - it's not exactly like UK - RU relations are 'great' and what good does blaming the Kremlin do - other than proving HMG are powerless to prevent such attacks?

Sergey Larov is telling us in Britain that's it's hysterical propaganda ... this isn't Russia ... Maskirovka isn't something the UK are very good at.

Online msmoby

OMG..

No wonder 'we're hysterical' ..

Russian Pervy Kanal News anchor ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/video/News/sergei-skripal-russian-state-tv-anchor-kirill-kleimenov-rare-traitors-live-old-age-a8246666.html

"it is 'rare that traitors live to old age'

Does that apply to 'patriots', too ? ;)

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20

As far fetched as that sounds, you could well be right. It's reasonable to ask, why would Russia do something so obvious in the UK, that would lead to an enquiry?

A bit like why would Assad use chemical weapons on his own people, having just been told what would happen if we used chemical weapons on his own people.

I doubt the Russian government or Assad are stupid.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
What we seem to be witnessing is a repeat of a modus operandum of the UK in respect of Russia that we have seen before. If the killing of former 'intelligence operative' turncoats was a policy for Russia then, of course, we would have seen it in other places - we haven't.

Does it make sense for Russia to have one policy for turncoats living in the UK and another for everywhere else in the world?

Does it make sense for Russia to be killing off 'sensitive' targets in the UK, or anywhere else, at this time?

Occam's Razor suggests that whatever happened in the UK it is more likely to be about the UK than Russia.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
What we seem to be witnessing is a repeat of a modus operandum of the UK in respect of Russia that we have seen before. If the killing of former 'intelligence operative' turncoats was a policy for Russia then, of course, we would have seen it in other places - we haven't.

Does it make sense for Russia to have one policy for turncoats living in the UK and another for everywhere else in the world?

Does it make sense for Russia to be killing off 'sensitive' targets in the UK, or anywhere else, at this time?

Occam's Razor suggests that whatever happened in the UK it is more likely to be about the UK than Russia.

I’m no Putin fan but these modus operandi do seem a bit Dr. Evil ish.

On the other hand Putin is a wiley fox, certainly a million times brainier than thicko Trump, so double bluff? He’s ruthless enough that’s for sure.

I think not though...

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
....certainly a million times brainier than thicko Trump.....

:laugh:

Come on buddy, just let that bile calm down and enjoy your weekend.

:8)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Dr Evilish, yes.

Objectively, it makes no sense for any sensible Russian, in a position to do so, to order the assassination of anyone sensitive at this time.

The only way that such a scenario works is if the authorization came from somebody who was an opponent of the current government and state of Russia and that is pretty circular as it would also mean that such a person was actually an ally of the UK government.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online dcguyusa

I doubt the Russian government or Assad are stupid.

History is replete with errors, mistakes, blunders, foolish actions.  History always repeats itself.

So who killed Kim Jong Un's half-brother?  Obviously the CIA to foment a nuclear war with the DPRK.  (:)