The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Ste - did you see this - N.Irish can 'import' non EU partners under 2004/38? ;)  (Read 3357 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
I seems a young lass from Derry ( or Londonderry ) who has never held a UK passport was refused her US husband's residency under the EU Directive that allowed some of us to circumvent the UK immigration route  ( Ste, Wiz, myself )

The UK closed this loophole to citizens holding both UK and Irish citizenship's some time ago - but this lass challenged the decision and WON

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/12/derry-woman-us-born-husband-uk-emma-de-souza

"she was born in Northern Ireland, under the British Nationality Act 1981 she was automatically deemed British and would have to apply through the normal routes for third country citizens. The Home Office told Mr De Souza the only way they could deal with his case was for his wife to “renounce her status as a British citizen"

De Souza challenged that decision on the grounds that his wife had the right to be treated as an Irish citizen under the Good Friday agreement and was therefore an EU citizen exercising her freedom of movement rights.

The first-tier tribunal ruled in his favour.

A spokesman for the Home Office said it was examining the ruling and considering whether to appeal."
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic