The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 2018 New Car Observations  (Read 6740 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Re: 2018 New Car Observations
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2018, 08:35:07 AM »
In the same issue of Road & Track (March 2018) they reviewed the Tesla Model 3 Long Range. It has 273 horsepower, does zero to sixty in 4.9 seconds and costs $45,000. It is on sale now.

As I recall Ste was a Tesla fan. I remember early on they had a problem going up in flames.

I would prefer a hybrid so you can run on gas when no electric charge is available.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 08:38:19 AM »
The Verge review.

The radio, air vents, etc must be operated on the nav screen as there are no knobs. I don’t like it and right there would never consider one. Deal breaker! I like knobs!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 08:55:03 AM »
Yes to the knobs and switches.

I like to be able to reach out and change a control without needing to look. A well-designed dashboard has well-placed knobs and switches, with differentiation between them so that muscle memory takes one to the right control and allows it to be set without looking down.

On the other hand, given the goal of the Tesla is automated driving it seems that the lack of switches should not be a cause of dangerous distraction. Problem is that full automation is some years away and the controls are dangerous now.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 09:19:42 AM »
In the same issue of Road & Track (March 2018) they reviewed the Tesla Model 3 Long Range. It has 273 horsepower, does zero to sixty in 4.9 seconds and costs $45,000. It is on sale now.

As I recall Ste was a Tesla fan. I remember early on they had a problem going up in flames.

I would prefer a hybrid so you can run on gas when no electric charge is available.

True about the Tesla, I was smitten. But like a feld-hure it quickly wore off, end of the weekend I was tired of it's soullessness, it's cheap looking interior (despite purporting to be ostentatious leather) and having to charge the fecking thing after nowhere near the claimed 300 miles. I lived in a flat then and couldn't charge it at home and to be fair the (free in Denmark) super-charging point was just round the corner but waiting or walking there and back got boring.

Denmark hardly the best place to drive though, not much to see outside Sjælland and public transport being cock-on...
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »

I like to be able to reach out and change a control without needing to look. A well-designed dashboard has well-placed knobs and switches, with differentiation between them so that muscle memory takes one to the right control and allows it to be set without looking down.

On the other hand, given the goal of the Tesla is automated driving it seems that the lack of switches should not be a cause of dangerous distraction. Problem is that full automation is some years away and the controls are dangerous now.

I am in 100% agreement with Andrew on this!

I guess I like old fashioned cars with a mechanical feel to them.

The Tesla is a tech-nerds car. And as Ste just wrote, soulless.  :coffeeread:

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »

And I am tech-head, I thought I'd love the huge touch screen but I hated it. Cars and guitars for me are not tech things - I've got a Line 6 modelling guitar that can do assorts, emulate a banjo, a sitar and even alternative tunings but it sounds false, much prefer raw guitar and/or overdriven valve amp!

Same with car, while I like toys mechanically I like the exhaust note, the feeling you get when know the revs have peaked and it's time to change up. Odlly though I do like the F1 Paddle shift on the Maserati, basically a manual gearbox with and electric clutch. So different from the Automatica which is a ZF slush box with manual changes if you want. The F1 will do auto changes too - but pretty poorly.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2018, 10:45:39 AM »

And I am tech-head, I thought I'd love the huge touch screen but I hated it. Cars and guitars for me are not tech things - I've got a Line 6 modelling guitar that can do assorts, emulate a banjo, a sitar and even alternative tunings but it sounds false, much prefer raw guitar and/or overdriven valve amp!

Same with car, while I like toys mechanically I like the exhaust note, the feeling you get when know the revs have peaked and it's time to change up. Odlly though I do like the F1 Paddle shift on the Maserati, basically a manual gearbox with and electric clutch. So different from the Automatica which is a ZF slush box with manual changes if you want. The F1 will do auto changes too - but pretty poorly.

That Maserati sounds like a great car and probably super fun to drive. It’s got proper knobs and levers too I’ll bet. Congratulations!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »

Did consider on last year, but servicing in Ru is atrocious, seems as if no one knows what they are doing, also many electrical problems probably due to the local conditions.

Eventually decided on an x5, very happy.

Selling like hot cakes in Sochi and VVP has - for now- a fleet of them - now seeing a few Jags

Looked at an E-Pace - for me Ma - as an alternate for the Evoque - but Jag / RR audio systems  - though sounding great - have a CRAP touch screen and the Bluetooth is shyte re audio commands and fights with the infinitely better google assistant. REALLY bad form

Currently have an Evoque, 5 year old RR Vogue, LR Disco - latest version in the immediate family - when it snows my Vauxhall Insignia Estate ( winter tyres ) far safer on steep hills ( up or down )

I really don't get why folks think it's 'sporty' to sit up high..

I worked out what I've spent in car depreciation/ servicing and would rather spend it on education for kids / grand kids, thanks
VVP's cars dare not break down.. :ROFL:

I can afford it, and when any now or future grandkids are in the education processes, they will not end up having to beg borrow or steal, nor will they end up in debt..

Any rear wheel drive vehicle, even with winter tyres cannot compete with a fwd or an awd....
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2018, 12:39:24 PM »

Did consider on last year, but servicing in Ru is atrocious, seems as if no one knows what they are doing, also many electrical problems probably due to the local conditions.

Eventually decided on an x5, very happy.

Selling like hot cakes in Sochi and VVP has - for now- a fleet of them - now seeing a few Jags

Looked at an E-Pace - for me Ma - as an alternate for the Evoque - but Jag / RR audio systems  - though sounding great - have a CRAP touch screen and the Bluetooth is shyte re audio commands and fights with the infinitely better google assistant. REALLY bad form

Currently have an Evoque, 5 year old RR Vogue, LR Disco - latest version in the immediate family - when it snows my Vauxhall Insignia Estate ( winter tyres ) far safer on steep hills ( up or down )

I really don't get why folks think it's 'sporty' to sit up high..

I worked out what I've spent in car depreciation/ servicing and would rather spend it on education for kids / grand kids, thanks
VVP's cars dare not break down.. :ROFL:

I can afford it, and when any now or future grandkids are in the education processes, they will not end up having to beg borrow or steal, nor will they end up in debt..

Any rear wheel drive vehicle, even with winter tyres cannot compete with a fwd or an awd....

The F1 cars go FWD I'll listen!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2018, 01:33:01 PM »

I always thought the Vauxhall Opel Insignia was FWD - I 'defer' to you 'knowledge' ;)

This video shows a FWD Ford Kuga with Winter tyres v 4WD on all weather . The FWD blows the 4WD away - and when it comes to going downhill - winter tyres on a FWD are also far superior than normal 'summer types' on an AW / 4W D

If it's wet and less than 7C - the car stops far faster and is less likely to aquaplane ..

I'm a bit of a wimp in wet winter driving - but when kitted out with the winter tyres - I feel invincible such is the difference.

I have NO idea why our govt doesn't make winter tyres compulsory from mid Nov to April   

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Wet weather or Snow - Why we should change our tyres in winter

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
I bought myself this for Xmas.

Range Rover 4.4TDV8 Autobiography Black (special anniversary edition) - the best spec they made; 5 cameras, deployable sidesteps etc. Significantly cooler than any BMW.  :8)

Wifey copped for the Range Rover Sport I had already.

What’s all fallen off and broken down so far?  :popcorn:

I’ve heard too many stories from friends, family & business associates to go anywhere near one. They look great though and sitting inside does give you that first class feel.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »

I always thought the Vauxhall Opel Insignia was FWD - I 'defer' to you 'knowledge' ;)

This video shows a FWD Ford Kuga with Winter tyres v 4WD on all weather . The FWD blows the 4WD away - and when it comes to going downhill - winter tyres on a FWD are also far superior than normal 'summer types' on an AW / 4W D

If it's wet and less than 7C - the car stops far faster and is less likely to aquaplane ..

I'm a bit of a wimp in wet winter driving - but when kitted out with the winter tyres - I feel invincible such is the difference.

I have NO idea why our govt doesn't make winter tyres compulsory from mid Nov to April

I stand corrected.

For once we agree on something, I also think that winter tyres should be made compulsory, maybe not for as long as you stated, but certainly whilst temp's are below the normal operating temp's of summer tyres.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2018, 05:29:15 PM »

I stand corrected.

For once we agree on something, I also think that winter tyres should be made compulsory, maybe not for as long as you stated, but certainly whilst temp's are below the normal operating temp's of summer tyres.
I always drive with winter-tyres and not all-season. In heavy weather it is the difference between skidding/accident and getting home safely.

I would also like the gov't to make it mandatory but then from okt-march as april is usually above 7C
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 06:06:57 PM »
In Russia it is mandatory to fit winter tyres with studs for the winter season, the time to fit/remove them is more area specific, for example, in the further North, you may have them fitted for 8 months, whereas middle of the country it could be from 4-6 months, and to the South it may only be for 2-3 months.

I don't know100%, but its more than possible that failure to fit them during these periods could lead to the cars insurance to be voided.(I don't know because I've never questioned it).

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2018, 09:52:16 PM »
In Russia it is mandatory to fit winter tyres with studs for the winter season, the time to fit/remove them is more area specific, for example, in the further North, you may have them fitted for 8 months, whereas middle of the country it could be from 4-6 months, and to the South it may only be for 2-3 months.

I don't know100%, but its more than possible that failure to fit them during these periods could lead to the cars insurance to be voided.(I don't know because I've never questioned it).

Interesting subject. Here in Pennsylvania studs are permitted from November 1st through April 15th, although they've long been discouraged due to excess road wear. Good winter tires do us well here in PA but those north of us can probably make a strong case for studs. 
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2018, 01:09:28 AM »

Gypo,

Honestly not trying to be a pain - but it varies from region to region

Sochi does not require winter tyres as you describe, but if you wish to head to the mountain resorts - you MUST have winter tyres and the studs are not a legal requirement

I know this as I drove the Vauxhall from the UK to Sochi and back in Nov / Dec - with a Russian

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2018, 01:13:18 AM »

Markje, there is no doubt that the greatest driving pleasure is derived from hanging out the rear - but after a few winters in the NE of England Scottish borders driving a rear wheel drive Ford Tranny / Merc Vito - I'm done with another forum in the winter ;)

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2018, 06:47:57 AM »

Gypo,

Sochi does not require winter tyres as you describe, but if you wish to head to the mountain resorts - you MUST have winter tyres and the studs are not a legal requirement

I know this as I drove the Vauxhall from the UK to Sochi and back in Nov / Dec - with a Russian

So having been perplexed as to why there is no law in place requiring a winter tyre window, you've also answered why there isn't.

You obviously spend your winters on yachts and warm weather mansions but I know that each winter in the UK is always different from the last. This year has been exceptional but when the cold weather comes, it could be any time from October to May.

It's a great idea but simply isn't practical or affordable for many motorists. This week has been horrific in many parts of the Uk but I was enjoying 8 degrees of sunshine in Portrush whilst it was snowing in Newry. For those who don't know its literally down the road. I've also seen many a 15 degree day in Scotland in January over the years.

Great theory - crap execution. Places like Scandinavia, Canada & Russia have vast swathes of their country, under prolonged periods of extreme weather. The UK changes region to region and it can be -15 one week and +15 the next.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2018, 07:20:29 AM »

Gypo,

So having been perplexed as to why there is no law in place requiring a winter tyre window, you've also answered why there isn't.

You obviously spend your winters on yachts and warm weather mansions but I know that each winter in the UK is always different from the last. This year has been exceptional but when the cold weather comes, it could be any time from October to May.

It's a great idea but simply isn't practical or affordable for many motorists. This week has been horrific in many parts of the Uk but I was enjoying 8 degrees of sunshine in Portrush whilst it was snowing in Newry. For those who don't know its literally down the road. I've also seen many a 15 degree day in Scotland in January over the years.

Great theory - crap execution. Places like Scandinavia, Canada & Russia have vast swathes of their country, under prolonged periods of extreme weather. The UK changes region to region and it can be -15 one week and +15 the next.

And unless the rule applies to everyone you get those on snow tyres being rammed by the one's without who can't stop. I got some Pirelli Sotto p-zeros for the snow but not using them, sliding is more fun but even R-W-D with 315's on the back it's fine.

I feel FWD is easier for the average Joe in snow and ice, but for the skilled driver (like me!) R-W-D will get you into and out of places FWD won't. Having two wheels do all the work is wrong...

I've only ever had one AWD car, Audi 200 Quattro, C100BNF was 5 or 6 years old when I bought it I think, good car but brake calliper siezed (special part) and power steering pump went (VW part didn't fit). I remember driving it with hardly any brake fluid in it (only worked last inch of pedal or so) and lumpy PAS.

Those where the days, get away with anything. Ever driven a Peugeot 605 on two cylinders? I have - H626SLS, sold it to two kids, next day coppers came round, found it wrapped round a tree with me still as the registered keeper. That's the last I heard.

I've had A600OFO, GXI3738, A13KEB, 06-WD-3 (in Ireland) - and many more I can't remember. I counted them up once, I'd had up to that point (2003) 45 cars, almost all of them shiit.

One had two Alfa's with consecutively numbered number plates ones, can't remember the plates tho H914xxx and H915xxx with the xxx's being the same HLN I think - have to check pics. Complete coincidence, got one from Exeter for £100 (Alfa 164 3.0 Lusso) and one from Coventry for free (Alfa 75 2.0 TS Veloce). I was skint at the time due to living in Scotland haha!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2018, 08:24:47 AM »

1/ Portrush to Newry is 'not down the road' - being at opposite ends of the Province  :coffeeread:

2/ As the winter tyre is better at 7C or less, please explain how freakish days outweigh ave temps...?  I've chosen Alnwick, in Nortumberland as an example - as it is further north than some Scots border towns

3/ 'cost' ? What price a life ?  Sure it costs more, initially, but if you swap  around - you then get longer life by using the right tyre for the ave conditions

AVERAGE temps, rosco ...  that means - overall - a winter tyre is safer on most given days in winter

You've watched the vids ? The video evidence is pretty compelling. Even on wet days. I promise you, the grip on a wet winter's evening on a sweeping motorway bend is incredible 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: winter tyres
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2018, 08:37:31 AM »

And unless the rule applies to everyone you get those on snow tyres being rammed by the one's without who can't stop.

The Russians make you put on a sticker on the rear window denoting you have winter tyres. Its a warning triangle with a ш within

It's a valid concern, as yesterday I overtook a Saab on compacted snow and he 'objected' to being overtaken and sped up to my rear bumper .   I wouldn't go faster than the limit - and he tried to over-take - hit the ridge of snow / ice that forms between the opposing traffic lanes - as it is not compressed - and lost control - yawing from side to side - before resuming the pace dictated by his lack of traction ;)

If you've even been tip-toeing down a steep hill and the tyres lose traction in the snow then fitting winter tyres cures that issue... One has to be careful of cars normally shod coming at you - out of control - as they were on Ashworth Lane on the morning of the 1st March ...  It was like dogems

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2018, 08:55:25 AM »
I just got rid of my 5 series M sport touring and bought a new Navara Tekna auto through my business. It’s been a god send this winter and I’d have been off the road without it.

And to be fair the standard extras, the ride and the massive tax savings make it a beaut. Got a sport lid for the back and paid £20,500 plus vat from new delivered by Nissan. The on the road price is nearer £35k.

I’m happy to use this for work & buy a better car as a family run around. The wife only started driving last year so it’ll be another couple years before I look for something a bit more special. Right now insurance is nuts and she would quite possibly smash it.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2018, 09:23:51 AM »
I just got rid of my 5 series M sport touring and bought a new Navara Tekna auto through my business.

Hmm, a twin cab after a Beemer M series ... what'ya think, Markje ... Has our rosco lost it ? ;)

Registration