The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: World Cup 2018 discussion  (Read 14294 times)

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
Re: World Cup 2018 discussion
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 01:42:06 PM »
I was disappointed to see Mexico go out earlier today. In General, I tend to go for the underdogs ( they were up against Brasil), but additionally the Mexican fans here are numerous and have proven to be very popular with the locals!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 01:55:08 PM »
Sorry Steveboy, it’s all over. I’ve never seen a team down 2-0 play with such high energy as Belgium just did. It’s now 3-2, Belgium.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »
Going to be some Harakiri tonight for sure!!!
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 02:26:53 PM »
Sorry Steveboy, it’s all over. I’ve never seen a team down 2-0 play with such high energy as Belgium just did. It’s now 3-2, Belgium.

There just a bunch of Red Devils. For a very loooong time Belgium was not present at the World Championships.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 02:24:17 AM »

There just a bunch of Red Devils. For a very loooong time Belgium was not present at the World Championships.

Apart from winning every single one of their group games and now the knock out. 4 from 4 including England's scalp.  :-X

Online AvHdB

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 06:36:33 AM »

Apart from winning every single one of their group games and now the knock out. 4 from 4 including England's scalp.  :-X

Worth considering when the World Cup was held in South Africa a football generation ago the Dutch won every game except one.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 08:05:16 AM »

Worth considering when the World Cup was held in South Africa a football generation ago the Dutch won every game except one.

True but then nobody said they never turned up.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »

Well now they’ve got to face Brazil on Friday and I believe Brazil will beat them. In fact my prediction is that Brazil will win it all. Either way if the matches are as exciting as Japan versus Belgium was then we’re in for more good football.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/team=43924/_index_default.html

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 01:00:23 PM »
What a load of dirty playing columbian baboons ....
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2018, 05:56:10 AM »
OK, it is a guess more than anything else the final four will be France, Croatia, Belgium and England. What are others opinions~guesses.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2018, 08:10:09 AM »
OK, it is a guess more than anything else the final four will be France, Croatia, Belgium and England. What are others opinions~guesses.

It's a tough call, most of the ties are very evenly matched.

Both Belgium and Brazil have many world class players in their squads and are 2 of the best 3 teams in it with France. It could come down to mistakes. I fancy Belgium.

Uruguay and France is another on the edge but on paper, France should win all week and twice on a sunday.

It think Russia's great run will come to an end against Croatia.

And Sweden England is another on a knife edge. Sweden are weaker on paper but have a great record against England. England on the other hand are here but haven't been impressive. Edged Tunisia in the last minute, hammered a pub team in Panama and then got beat by Belgium. They were about to win after 90 mins last night, having scored via a penalty but in extra time they looked lost, couldn't find a pass and seemed to be hanging on for penalties. Of course they won, they're in the 1/4 finals but not impressively.

I'll go France, Belgium, Croatia & England too.

Offline Bruce Lee

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2018, 09:17:48 AM »
Uruguay‘s tight defending should just be enough to squeeze past the French, Belgium look a strong side so we can only hope they can send Naymar’s cheating ass home and for some reason I have a feeling Russia will get past Croatia - I’ll Not tempt fate on the England/Sweden game :-X
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Bruce Lee

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2018, 09:25:43 AM »

What would be really interesting is if Russia and England were to be in a final..
They are in the same half of the draw - it would be a potential semi-final
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Jerash

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2018, 11:05:46 AM »
Uruguay, Brazil, Russia, Sweden

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2018, 05:15:57 PM »

The Colombians say that the referee was biased, so that was why they lost.   :chuckle:

https://sports.yahoo.com/colombia-player-accuses-controversial-u-s-referee-bias-toward-england-world-cup-loss-041349181.html
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online AvHdB

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2018, 05:29:44 PM »

The Colombians say that the referee was biased, so that was why they lost.   :chuckle:

https://sports.yahoo.com/colombia-player-accuses-controversial-u-s-referee-bias-toward-england-world-cup-loss-041349181.html

Columbia played a very physical (yellow card tainted) match, the first English goal was the result of an ugly infraction. Though it seemed they toned it down a bit in the 2nd half. The game was decided by a mistake of the Columbians and good goal keeping by the English.

The Columbia team should go home and stop moaning about there lost chances.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2018, 06:25:21 PM »

Columbia played a very physical (yellow card tainted) match, the first English goal was the result of an ugly infraction. Though it seemed they toned it down a bit in the 2nd half. The game was decided by a mistake of the Columbians and good goal keeping by the English.

The Columbia team should go home and stop moaning about there lost chances.

“I want to send an important message to those people who think things can be resolved with violence, and with weapons, that they can take someone’s life just because they make a mistake, in this case the life of a football player.

“Football should be a vehicle of peace and social transformation, and at the end of the day, it is just a game.

“But I truly hope that, if Colombia failed to meet these expectations, then the tragedy that happened to my brother doesn’t repeat itself. God forbid that it happens again.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-cup-2018-colombian-players-145156126.html

Losing can cost you your life.   :(
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline Annushka

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 12:10:52 AM »
Thanks all for your emotions and passions!
It was cool!!!
Please, return to Russia !!!
С болельщиками ухохотаться можно! :party0011: :party0031:

Online AvHdB

Re: World Cup 2022 discussion
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2022, 11:02:14 AM »
Well we are getting to the final four. In a couple hours the Elftal against Argentina.

Croatia showed the exit door to Brazil. Amazing when you consider Croatia is perhaps 5 million versus the 200 plus million population of Brazil.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2022, 11:16:34 AM »
Well we are getting to the final four. In a couple hours the Elftal against Argentina.

Croatia showed the exit door to Brazil. Amazing when you consider Croatia is perhaps 5 million versus the 200 plus million population of Brazil.

That's definitely amazing, that Croatia beat Brazil.

I don't want to be a negative viber for Mark, however I do think that Argentina will rise to the occasion and beat the Netherlands.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2022, 11:42:56 AM »

I don't want to be a negative viber for Mark, however I do think that Argentina will rise to the occasion and beat the Netherlands.
I havent watched a single game. Qatar 
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2022, 08:00:49 AM »

First of all, thank you to AvHdb for resurrecting this thread.

Second, too bad for Mark that you are not willing to watch a game, however we respect your right to political protest.

And now to the point, Argentina won versus Netherlands on penalty kicks.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/story/2022-12-09/argentina-defeats-netherlands-world-cup-2022#:~:text=Lionel%20Messi%2C%20Argentina%20beat%20Netherlands%20on%20penalty%20kicks%2C%20reach%20World,4%2D3%20on%20penalty%20kicks.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2022, 08:16:14 AM »

First of all, thank you to AvHdb for resurrecting this thread.

Second, too bad for Mark that you are not willing to watch a game, however we respect your right to political protest.

And now to the point, Argentina won versus Netherlands on penalty kicks.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/story/2022-12-09/argentina-defeats-netherlands-world-cup-2022#:~:text=Lionel%20Messi%2C%20Argentina%20beat%20Netherlands%20on%20penalty%20kicks%2C%20reach%20World,4%2D3%20on%20penalty%20kicks.

PS

I'm rooting for England against France in that match.  :GOUK:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2022, 11:01:25 AM »

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2022, 02:46:44 PM »

Turns out there are allegations of a large bribe. Police found a bag of 600,000 in EU notes at one home and hundreds of thousands of EU notes at a Hotel. Eva Kaili has been detained by the Police.

"The Greek TV station Star reported that Kaili had been found in possession of cash stuffed in bags."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/12/police-search-european-parliament-offices-as-bribery-inquiry-grows

https://greekreporter.com/2022/12/10/qatar-corruption-scandal-cash-found-greek-mep-kaili/

Registration