The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Dont eliminate the Stans from your list when looking for your future soulmate  (Read 2951 times)

Offline iceman_530

• Spouses Country: Uzbekistan
  • Trips: 1-5
particularly Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan. 

Hey guys, havent posted in awhile, not since my trip to meet my wife.  Like most of you, I was focused on the Ukrainian/Russian women right off the bat, but one thing i took notes on interestingly enough, I had BETTER luck with women in other locations (Kazakhstan, Belarus, Uzbekistan.......even Moldova).  Anyhoo, I managed to get lucky and knock it out of the park my first try, and I think careful vetting and old fashioned talking to suitors paid off big time for me. I expanded my net with more focus on non Ukrainian/Russian girls because on the particular site I used at the time I assessed that women from Belarus, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan might not get as much traffic, and that assessment was 1000 percent dead on.  I had MUCH better luck keeping and maintaining interest from women from those countries (not before being heartbroken by a sweet moldovan girl right before my first attempt, so yeah, its part of the game and happens to anyone.  Another guy acted before I could, and when you wait, the chances increase.  It really hits home when that reality hits you.  I had to reciprocate the second time when i narrowed down to my final two, and i didnt feel good about breaking that poor girls heart either.). 

So what are some interesting cultural takeaways you might ask?  Obviously, in what became more my "area of expertise", Kazakh and Uzbek are predominantly muslim (for a lot of guys  thatll be a dealbreaker immediately, so that just makes more opportunity for you if thats not a big deal for you).  Of course, its Sovietized Islam though; the Michelob Ultra of Islam.  I drink, i eat pork, no issues at all, and has not been a source of contention at all.  If you're not an overly religious person, it will be no obstacle for you, and even if you are, I dont think it will be a big obstacle for you if you are serious with each other and open to fair compromises (those who love each other generally are).  And of course, there are ethnic Russian women from Uzbekistan (less so, but I conversed with a few nonetheless) and Kazakhstan (certainly more), but they get less attention because maybe its deemed further away.......not as safe........too different from us, whatever.  These women are actually super sweet, just as pretty (if not moreso), and I have more than a few begging me to be Dr. Love for them and help them find nice guys for them.  They dont particularly like local guys, and the foreign factor is still a big deal for them, where these days it is probably less so in Ukraine and even Russia (after the olympics and soon the world cup). 

Second, the food, oh my goodness, the food.  Theyve got some interesting, creative food; having a wife that cooks samsa, pilaf, lagman, and a bunch of interesting stuff is a nice treat to have too. 

Downsides?  I think the biggest one is the OBSESSIVE cleaning thing.  Thats been the biggest transformation in my life to the point it drives me crazy sometimes.  My floor is clean enough where you could have a thanksgiving dinner off of it, and its cleaner than most dinner tables in America.  Gotta wear sandles/indoor shoes at all times (but i think that is much of the FSU actually, and its a big deal that most will insist on). 

the complications with Uzbekistan?  you'll have a particularly difficult time under current laws to get a woman who is not your wife into a hotel room.  However, Uzbekistan's new president is slowly chipping away with reforms internally (literally two days ago he sacked his Intelligence Chief, who was a big Karimov and ex KGB crony).  There are some reforms going on that are relative to further down the line in Uzbekistan, and the infamous "exit visa" is going away come beginning of next year, and if you find a nice girl to marry, that will be a HUGE burden for you to not bear (looking forward to that myself, i had to send my wife back every two years to get it renewed and it took 6-8 weeks on average).  Kazakhstan is somehow more liberal (still kinda authoritarian), and you wont have to worry about as much of that stuff.  Its visa free for three weeks, dont need a letter of invitation, etc.

EDIT:  wife has just told me im going to whole foods lol, i will continue this thought later gents, hope it provokes some thought and discussion, if you got any questions, feel free to respond, but I would STRONGLY encourage looking in a place where you are STILL an exotic commodity that gives you more of an edge.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
I couldn't fûck a Stan...

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Contrarian

Hey guys, havent posted in awhile, not since my trip to meet my wife.  Like most of you, I was focused on the Ukrainian/Russian women right off the bat, but one thing i took notes on interestingly enough, I had BETTER luck with women in other locations (Kazakhstan, Belarus, Uzbekistan.......even Moldova).  Anyhoo, I managed to get lucky and knock it out of the park my first try, and I think careful vetting and old fashioned talking to suitors paid off big time for me. I expanded my net with more focus on non Ukrainian/Russian girls because on the particular site I used at the time I assessed that women from Belarus, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan might not get as much traffic, and that assessment was 1000 percent dead on.  I had MUCH better luck keeping and maintaining interest from women from those countries (not before being heartbroken by a sweet moldovan girl right before my first attempt, so yeah, its part of the game and happens to anyone.  Another guy acted before I could, and when you wait, the chances increase.  It really hits home when that reality hits you.  I had to reciprocate the second time when i narrowed down to my final two, and i didnt feel good about breaking that poor girls heart either.). 

So what are some interesting cultural takeaways you might ask?  Obviously, in what became more my "area of expertise", Kazakh and Uzbek are predominantly muslim (for a lot of guys  thatll be a dealbreaker immediately, so that just makes more opportunity for you if thats not a big deal for you).  Of course, its Sovietized Islam though; the Michelob Ultra of Islam.  I drink, i eat pork, no issues at all, and has not been a source of contention at all.  If you're not an overly religious person, it will be no obstacle for you, and even if you are, I dont think it will be a big obstacle for you if you are serious with each other and open to fair compromises (those who love each other generally are).  And of course, there are ethnic Russian women from Uzbekistan (less so, but I conversed with a few nonetheless) and Kazakhstan (certainly more), but they get less attention because maybe its deemed further away.......not as safe........too different from us, whatever.  These women are actually super sweet, just as pretty (if not moreso), and I have more than a few begging me to be Dr. Love for them and help them find nice guys for them.  They dont particularly like local guys, and the foreign factor is still a big deal for them, where these days it is probably less so in Ukraine and even Russia (after the olympics and soon the world cup). 

Second, the food, oh my goodness, the food.  Theyve got some interesting, creative food; having a wife that cooks samsa, pilaf, lagman, and a bunch of interesting stuff is a nice treat to have too. 

Downsides?  I think the biggest one is the OBSESSIVE cleaning thing.  Thats been the biggest transformation in my life to the point it drives me crazy sometimes.  My floor is clean enough where you could have a thanksgiving dinner off of it, and its cleaner than most dinner tables in America.  Gotta wear sandles/indoor shoes at all times (but i think that is much of the FSU actually, and its a big deal that most will insist on). 

the complications with Uzbekistan?  you'll have a particularly difficult time under current laws to get a woman who is not your wife into a hotel room.  However, Uzbekistan's new president is slowly chipping away with reforms internally (literally two days ago he sacked his Intelligence Chief, who was a big Karimov and ex KGB crony).  There are some reforms going on that are relative to further down the line in Uzbekistan, and the infamous "exit visa" is going away come beginning of next year, and if you find a nice girl to marry, that will be a HUGE burden for you to not bear (looking forward to that myself, i had to send my wife back every two years to get it renewed and it took 6-8 weeks on average).  Kazakhstan is somehow more liberal (still kinda authoritarian), and you wont have to worry about as much of that stuff.  Its visa free for three weeks, dont need a letter of invitation, etc.

EDIT:  wife has just told me im going to whole foods lol, i will continue this thought later gents, hope it provokes some thought and discussion, if you got any questions, feel free to respond, but I would STRONGLY encourage looking in a place where you are STILL an exotic commodity that gives you more of an edge.

Cool stuff Iceman. Did your wife convert to Christianity or is she more or less agnostic? Everything you described is great except that one thing. Kids in the UK and elsewhere sometimes become radicalized.

I guess as you say there are also ethnic Russians there who don’t get much attention. Thanks for sharing your story.

Offline htrj

• Spouses Country: United Kingdom
  • Trips: None Yet
Having had a fairly brief encounter with a Kazakhstani girl I can't help but agree with your sentiment that these girls are so sweet and really enthusiastic cooks. The one I met certainly fitted that frame. The Islam thing was a concern for me but in hindsight I might have got used to it.

This is interesting reading though, Iceman. I wish I could find the Kazakstani promo video she showed me, id have loved to see the country, if nothing else. As you mention, the girl I met is soooooo sweet, very bright, lots of respect for her family(who  also sounded very bright) and her heritage and that is something I admire.

After I met my Kazakstani in question, like you, I couldnt help thinking if the 'Istans were the direction to go in.

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
Contrary to the author of this post, I have been to Uzbekistan twice.  From a tourist perspective it is safe, economical, a lot of history and good food.  For wife hunting it is not.  Especially when a woman that asks you for money for internet connection then suddenly decided to quit her job because it is too stressful.  So where are the basic economic priorities?  And then when I finally got there, the woman would not reply to my sms or online messages.  Mind you I did not have a local phone.  And then the sister finally confessed the woman in question had a local boyfriend.  So how does that make me feel? 

But since the local food is tasty, the music is hip and the history is very vibrant I was able to have a good trip. 

But I think regarding it being a good place to find a wife I beg to differ.  I was there in 2016 when Karimov was alive and in 2017 under the new leader.  I noticed much less ethnic Russians, so the few ethnic Russians are leaving in droves and this should mean something to the active listener. 

And as of November 2017 you could still not take a local woman to your hotel room.  Most hotels have cameras, and it is a police state after all so why put yourself in such a situation.  And a western tourist is not allowed to rent an apartment. 

So Russia, Belarus and Ukraine are better. 

Offline Crusader

• Watched
Contrary to the author of this post, I have been to Uzbekistan twice.  From a tourist perspective it is safe, economical, a lot of history and good food.  For wife hunting it is not.  Especially when a woman that asks you for money for internet connection then suddenly decided to quit her job because it is too stressful.  So where are the basic economic priorities?  And then when I finally got there, the woman would not reply to my sms or online messages.  Mind you I did not have a local phone.  And then the sister finally confessed the woman in question had a local boyfriend.  So how does that make me feel? 

But since the local food is tasty, the music is hip and the history is very vibrant I was able to have a good trip. 

But I think regarding it being a good place to find a wife I beg to differ.  I was there in 2016 when Karimov was alive and in 2017 under the new leader.  I noticed much less ethnic Russians, so the few ethnic Russians are leaving in droves and this should mean something to the active listener. 

And as of November 2017 you could still not take a local woman to your hotel room.  Most hotels have cameras, and it is a police state after all so why put yourself in such a situation.  And a western tourist is not allowed to rent an apartment. 

Thank you for your post. it just might help the goy. You did not teach me anything, but you might have helped some dummy.

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
Crusader.  May I ask what experience do you bring to the table?  Has anyone learned anything from you? 

If you want to be a bully, then go back to elementary school. 

We are all adults here and this forum should be based on respect. 

Offline iceman_530

• Spouses Country: Uzbekistan

Cool stuff Iceman. Did your wife convert to Christianity or is she more or less agnostic? Everything you described is great except that one thing. Kids in the UK and elsewhere sometimes become radicalized.

I guess as you say there are also ethnic Russians there who don’t get much attention. Thanks for sharing your story.

If there is such thing as an agnostic Muslim, she is it.  She hardly practices.  Ill catch her on a prayer mat maybe 1-2 times a month but thats it.  Shes certainly not devout. Im atheist so it doesnt bother me that much, we are very much a live and let live couple for the most part (our biggest head butting comes from obsessive cleaning and what the thermostat should be on, so we are doing okay). 

As far as the kids discussion, thats where we have to compromise and be crystal clear with one another.  I conceded that she can raise her kids in Islam..........however.........Im going to be giving them ALL of the science books.  All of them.  I want them to read and be informed.  My wife has conceded that if the children arrive at the conclusion their is no cloud god that watches over all of us, and they come to that conclusion on their own, thatll be the end of it (im honestly starting to get optimistic she is coming around in that regard too).  Religion in general scares me, sure there is a very valid point that Islam is much more of the volatile ones, but Im a big believer that it can be fought off with education and knowledge.  Im not gonna be actively shoving my beliefs down their throats, but I will give them the tools needed to arrive at their own conclusions. 

At any rate, the fun thing about Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan..........theyre not all ethnic Uzbek or Kazakh.  Theres ethnic Russian, I talked to an ethnic tartar girl, and one (frankly speaking) absolute stunner of an Armenian in Tashkent (one im desperately trying to find a nice guy for as well, i literally cannot fathom how poor her luck has been given her physical appearance.  I think that she has a kid already might be the knock but my god she is borderline kardashian status, but actually smart).  So there are christians there too with christian family values (less in uzbekistan, but again, its a true soviet melting pot of a city, theres LOTS of demographics to choose from there). 

I think kazakhstan will be of more interest to lots of guys simply on the premise there are actually plenty of ethnic russian girls there, and who wont get that attention because they are from a strange......exotic country that will get overlooked, but are no different than those from the motherland.  Uzbekistan i have not been to, but what knowledge i have (take it for what its worth) is extensively reading on the news, books, and talking with their women (in a dating role and now a friendship role).  Another thing working in your behalf in Uzbekistan will be the "get me the hell out of here" card, when the new president let the currency float, the Uzbek sum dropped from 4000 to 8000 in value and i know first hand my sisters family and friends are having a very difficult time with this right now.  Imagine if the dollar lost 50 percent of its value just in one swoop, thatd be insane, and thats what these poor folks are dealing with.  You will have to deal with the expensive flight up front, and the apparently infamous Tashkent international airport (keep that second customs form for the love of god!), but when you are actually on site, you could be saving tons of money.  (cup of coffee, 40 cents, bowl of plov/samsa, 4 bucks, bottle of water 7 cents, stuff like this).  I imagine you could get a super fancy uzbek rug or some novelty for a hell of a price right now.  But of course, the ultimate prize is your potential future wife (the culture and other exotic cultural stuff is nice, but dont sidebar her for that stuff), you could really treat her like a queen for a fair deal. 

That said, as far as the uzbekistan, not being allowed in your  hotel thing, that can easily be mitigated;  have her meet you in a place where the laws arent as butthurt and you are both able to travel to.  Ukraine is the obvious general easy one, Russia another (you need the visa, but its not that scary to do), Turkey is too (but you gotta worry about Turkish men who have absolutely no tact there).  Kazakhstan is literally right there too with Almaty (i think Uzbekistan itself will be next, probably around 2019 when the exit visa drops).  It gives a girl who probably hasnt travelled much an exciting adventure and shows her sincere interest if shes willing to accomodate you and meet you there, so thats a good deal for both parties.  My wife met me in Ukraine and Russia, I wanted to give her a once in a life time experience and sweep her off her feet.  She was in tears the night before we left because she wanted to come with me and not go back, so I knew it was a job well done and this was my future wife.  I assure you neither of us were thinking about Islam or religion at that point.  I wish you , and all of you, the best of luck in this, and I hope encouraging you to look beyond just Ukraine and Russia; it could change your results completely.  Ill be honest, my ukraine girl i was talking to was firmly in the lead for the first few months, but my wife wore that shield down with sweetness and determination for love (not that ukrainian chick didnt do an awesome job, just my uzbek princess went about it as flawlessly as you possibly could). 

In fact, I think the having her fly to another country thing is a great card to play regardless.  It shows shes willing to take a chance on you and trusts you, for an extra 100-400, thats not a bad gig.  You can both experience something new together and focus on just you. 

Ultimately for the wife hunter, the biggest thing i implore is, unlike Ukraine and Russia, You are still a commodity in Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Belarus, Azerbaijan, etc.  Theres just not many tourists there, so you will have an immediate advantage there.  There is lots of competition for you.  Play it smartly, use it to your advantage, and I believe youll stand a strong shot of succeeding.  Ukraine they know your game, and they know how to game you (that said, I concede there are still plenty of honest women in Ukraine, Id say you just need to do more careful vetting to be sure, but they are still there).  If i were to rank "foreign guy" novelty, its probably Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Russia, Ukraine in that order in terms of foreign guy exposure.  for Ukrainian girls, and less so Russia, you are not unusual, you are not unique, you are not nearly as fascinating (unless you got that dashing personality to back it up).  Central asia, you will still receive the westerner god complex.

Offline Contrarian

The Best Post of the last 12 Months!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 09:08:31 AM »
Thanks Iceman! I nominate your post above as the best of the last year. Chock full of great information. I agree with you about giving children lots of scientific information and encouraging them to think for themselves.

Very interesting that she was willing to travel to other countries to meet with and get to know you. Like you say a small investment for the opportunity to experience a sort of pre honeymoon.

Thanks for sharing so many great details!  tiphat

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Seems someone else has got bitten with the "STANS" Bug!

If you like this topic and want to see another great set of adventures ending up the same way do check out and read the adventures of "Don" from Winnipeg, Canada.  It is in the Trip and Adventure section.  I have posted the link for those interested in this as a good wife search

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,1578.0.html

Don and family still live in Winnipeg so I am sure he will agree with a lot of what the OP is suggesting too.  So do take time to read and explore all of your options.  Note there are 41 pages in Don's adventure with the last few referring to him finally visiting in the Stans and getting married to his wife there.

Offline Poldark

You are still a commodity in Azerbaijan
I'm seriously thinking about a trip to Baku (as well as Minsk) however I'm not 100% on the ethnic makeup, it looks to be a Muslim country? Would that not cause an issue in the hunt?

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
Islam is the predominant religion in Kazakhstan but, unlike many of the other Muslim countries in the region, those who identify with Islam are typically nominal Muslims who do not actively practice and who do not embrace Sharia law. If the subject of religion never came up, most men would never be the wiser.

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
Would it be correct to believe that the inhabitants of these regions generally have darker skin complexion (or is it just a coincidence that the women I've seen from the 'stans have been darker skinned women)?   
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Ste

• RIP
Would it be correct to believe that the inhabitants of these regions generally have darker skin complexion (or is it just a coincidence that the women I've seen from the 'stans have been darker skinned women)?

MIL is from Kazakhstan (Uralsk, now called something else), and are a lot of my better half's friends. All ethnic Russians though.

Language is Turkic, and the natives were described to me by Russians as narrow-eyed and ugly. Gotta love endemic racism. Got a Kazakhstan coin somewhere, got in my change in Urals.

She said just now she'd never seen a mosque in KZ (but maybe cos of being in with the ethnic Russian crown), but there's a mosque in Chel, seen it.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia

You'd be correct - no coincidence. Much more melanin produced to combat the summer sun

My other half is 50 percent Russian, 50 Uzbek - but born in what is now Tajikistan  - looks at the sun and goes brown.

Islam is the predominant religion in Kazakhstan but, unlike many of the other Muslim countries in the region, those who identify with Islam are typically nominal Muslims who do not actively practice and who do not embrace Sharia law. If the subject of religion never came up, most men would never be the wiser.

??

Sharia law isn't widely practised ( or legal ) in Uzbekistan - or any other former Soviet stan ..  other than trying to convert a Muslim - most laws are more about state ( rather than religious ) control

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
If the subject of religion never came up, hope you’re not marrying her. Baku is Muslim. It’s in Azerbaijan and the Muslim metre will go from lax to strong. Choose wisely, I’d say, if you go there!

Offline Jerash

About half of Moscow has a darker complexion. I assume close to all of them originate from the Stans.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
Also back around 1917 some families managed to head as far East as possible.  Others arrived later as factories were moved East after WWII started with the FSU in 1941.  Thus many ethnic Russians lived there for sometime due to events happening around them elsewhere in the FSU.  Thus MIL was also born there until local Earthquakes made the family want to return to Mother Russia proper.  Likely still many Russians remained and even today are still there as well as other nationalities that were displaced by other central FSU decisions.

Offline TomT

If the subject of religion never came up, hope you’re not marrying her. Baku is Muslim. It’s in Azerbaijan and the Muslim metre will go from lax to strong. Choose wisely, I’d say, if you go there!

We are not on the same page; I was discussing Kazakhstan.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
It would be prudent when discussing religion and ethnicity with regards to the 'Stan's'. Some might be Tartar's and Orthodox Christians for generations. Others might be Buddhists and have an allegiance to Moscow.

I suspect the local's (females) are adept at hiding there sympathies in this regard. It is very much caveat emptor.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline TomT

Thank you for your post. it just might help the goy. You did not teach me anything, but you might have helped some dummy.

Do you hate Muslims as much as you hate Jews?

Offline Jerash

We are not on the same page; I was discussing Kazakhstan.

Indeed. I think I “replied” to the wrong post. Sorry about that.

For what it’s worth, there’s a steady movement of ethnic Russians leaving the Stans and settling back into Mother Russia.

Offline TomT

^ They won't be missed. Ethnic Kazakhs think that Russians are assholes. I suppose that it's something that a Western guy with little to offer could exploit, though.

Offline Ste

• RIP
^ They won't be missed. Ethnic Kazakhs think that Russians are assholes. I suppose that it's something that a Western guy with little to offer could exploit, though.

All the Poles, Czechs and Hungarians here too at this (American) bank totally dont like Russians either.

Oh, and the Bulgarians too, get mightily offended when you try a bit of Russian on them.

Offline Donhollio

I noticed much less ethnic Russians, so the few ethnic Russians are leaving in droves and this should mean something to the active listener. 

Discrimination is rampant there. Ethnic Russians  are leaving and have been for years. If you want to find Russians you just have to head to the foreign affairs building, the place was packed with Russians.
 I witnessed one event where an ethnic Uzbek berated my lil Human Heater. The little spitfire gave him the full 9 yards. But you will not see Russians on TV,  infact she was told to leave her university auditorium due to having blond hair. Her friend also blond was allowed to remain as she had a hat on. TV crews were there and they didn't want to taint the scene I suppose. Government workers were all Uzbek as well.

Omega is right, it's not a great country to search. Lots of barriers to hurdle over, the beauracracy is ridiculous. Being a tourist is fairly easy, but plucking a spouse out of the country takes some patience.

Fortunately for me I enjoyed the chase far more than the kill. I wasn't focused on finding girls who had no experience with western men. It didn't bother me if they did, all I had to do is be myself and if they enjoyed my company we took it another day.
 BTW  there is a steady stream of western guys marrying there, I even met one Canuck girl who was marrying a local Russian guy. You just need some  smarts, luck and loads of patience.