The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: American Muscle Cars  (Read 992 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
American Muscle Cars
« on: January 27, 2018, 10:52:53 AM »
I’m curious if there is a market for American Muscle cars in Russia or elsewhere in the FSU?

A non-restored Mustang Boss 351 like this one with only 853 original miles just sold for well over $100,000 on Mecum auto auctions!

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA0917-293712/1971-ford-mustang-boss-351-fastback/

Offline Contrarian

Re: American Muscle Cars
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »
This is what I’m watching right now. A 1963 split-window Corvette just sold for $170,000!

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/kissimmee-2018/lots/featured/

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 10:39:32 AM »
This is what I’m watching right now. A 1963 split-window Corvette just sold for $170,000!

Ever been to Kissimmee? I bought a boat down there a few years ago and when I was down there to pick it up, a huge auto show was going on... people from all over the country had come to buy, sell, trade, etc.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »

Ever been to Kissimmee? I bought a boat down there a few years ago and when I was down there to pick it up, a huge auto show was going on... people from all over the country had come to buy, sell, trade, etc.

Never been. I just like watching auto auctions and dream of getting in on the action after cashing in a winning Powerball ticket.  :laugh:

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 03:13:31 PM »
So this guy I bought the steam launch from actually runs his own auto-show in Saint Cloud and I know a lot of cool-looking classics show up for it. I'm not an auto guy myself, but I would recommend checking out central FL's car scene if you get the chance... lots of neat-o people down that way. Now this guy's got something in common with (some of) us... he's in his 70's and married a woman in her 30's (but she's from Mexico, not the FSU, so... yeah). 
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »
Less so in Russia than the Baltics and eastern Europe EU. In Estonia there was a small following of muscle car devotees. I saw similar in Latvia, Lithuania and Poland. In Russia the enthusiasm leans towards more German and British cars when not German or Japanese.

I sold a few US cars in Estonia without issue. I had a site up for just that at one time. Despite ads in Russian, the Russians would email asking for Bentleys and Range Rovers. Or the Audi they had bought in London delivered to Lithuania. The Estonians and Polish emailed asking for old Mustangs and Dodge Chargers.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 05:49:49 PM »
What happens when the space race meets the drag strip? You get this classic from the Hot Rod Lincoln line... 'Hot Rod Rocket' by Charlie Ryan.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »
I suspect justadude might have seen American muscle cars in Ukraine.

I certainly have seem some oddities but a true muscle car no. I have seen a number of Teslas, a late model Ford 350 Truck, a couple R8's a three year old Corvette. Recent vintage Dodge Chargers are also common and the topper in my opinion a Mary Kay Bentley parked close to the Rada.

In a way Ukraine is rather vanilla with regards to foreign cars, as Manny notes they seem to have a strong preference is for German wheels.

The odd thing on American auctions sites the hammer price is at the upper price almost all the time and this is excluding the buyers commissions. There are a number of auctioneers such as Bonham', Mecum and another one that I think operates out of Pebble and Palm Beach.

For what it is worth a split-window is perhaps one of the most desirable Vettes out there.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot