The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 10 days in Lvov with an angel  (Read 61087 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
10 days in Lvov with an angel
« on: January 06, 2018, 04:57:47 AM »
All my bags are packed
I'm ready to go
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye
But the dawn is breakin'
It's early morn
The taxi's waitin'
He's blowin' his horn

So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go
'Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh babe, I hate to go

Ev'ry place I go, I'll think of you
Ev'ry song I sing, I'll sing for you
When I come back, I'll bring your wedding ring
So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go
'Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh babe, I hate to go
Now the time has come to leave you
One more time
Let me kiss you
Then close your eyes
I'll be on my way
Dream about the days to come
When I won't have to leave alone

Selected lyrics from John Denver's "Leaving on a Jet Plane"

I am waiting at the gate for the first flight of my journey back to Western USA. We listened to this song this morning in our flat in Eastern Ukraine. Then we had breakfast and got in the taxi to the airport. We spent 8 days in Lvov and another 2 in her city.

This narrative isn't very chronological, and, I must admit, it's a little reminiscent of a post I wrote a year ago, regarding a different girl. I think I was a little wiser this time around, but there is a long way to go before that distinction can be made.

I met this Ukrainian angel back in July. We spent 4 days together. When we parted back then, she cried, I was sad. Although we planned to keep in touch, I thought I would never see her again. But as we continued to communicate, my feelings for her only increased.

She applied for a tourist visa to visit me and was turned down. In October, I bought the ticket to see her, for the trip that is just ending. I found the long distance relationship to be extremely stressful. I decided that I would return from this trip either engaged or broken up. I just didn't think I could go through another 2-6 months before seeing her again. And, the travel is arduous. My total travel time getting there was 52 hours. I'm looking at 40 hours to get home.

I brought a 0.6 carat solitaire engagement ring with me. Starting on about day 2 of the trip, thanks to inspirational advice I read on this forum, I started asking a lot of questions. I also told her a lot about me. I told her that I didn't want a GF on the other side of the world. For clarification, she stated/asked "You are a serious man?" I replied that I am serious about her.

She had made our travel plans, including buying our train tickets. We did the things that lovers do, and it was passionate and amazing. I am tempted to say more about it but I'm going to be a gentleman. Our flat in Lvov was tiny but very clean and cute.

Around day 6 or 7, I had made up my mind.  I was nervous and often she would ask me what I was thinking, as I stared off into space contemplating when/how I would propose. The top of the Town Hall Tower in Lvov might have been nice. But not knowing cultural etiquette, I decided on a private proposal.

As it turned out, I waited until our last night together. We had dinner after she got off work. I bought a nice bottle of wine. After we got back to our room, and we were talking and embracing, she cried a little because she knew it was our last night together.

That was my cue. I went to my coat pocket and got the ring. I showed it to her and proposed. All along I had estimated the most likely answer I would hear is that she needed time to think about it, which is what happened. We talked for the next two hours about what life would be like for her.

All along I tried to make sure she knew about the good and the bad that she might encounter if she married me. I gave her reasons why she should say yes, and we openly discussed the risks for her. She has a 7 year career where she makes $1200 US per month. She would be giving up a lot.

It's time for me to board the plane. Maybe I'll add some more when I get to Warsaw.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: 10 days in Lvov with an angel
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 07:28:03 AM »
Great !

Now the big test starts for both of you ))
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline justadude

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 08:27:32 AM »
I am in Warsaw now. I just wrote about 500 words that I lost when my connection was interrupted. Now I don't have the motivation to rewrite it. Maybe later.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 09:42:58 AM »
Good luck with the answer. With that kind of income in her career she’d be giving up a lot. May I ask why it took you 52 hours to get there? I traveled from the west coast and made the journey in just under 24 hours.

Offline justadude

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 05:59:23 AM »
Good luck with the answer. With that kind of income in her career she’d be giving up a lot. May I ask why it took you 52 hours to get there? I traveled from the west coast and made the journey in just under 24 hours.
Very true about her income.

That's a good question. I'm probably not very skilled at buying tickets. I searched for a couple days and this was the best I could find for what I wanted. I like to fly premium economy for the longest leg of the journey. I paid $1700 round trip. I think it was too much but the next best option was $5K and it wasn't much better in terms of travel time. My trips always take 3 hops. How about you?

As it turned out, I got stuck in Warsaw for 4 days because of the crazy weather in New York. So I'm going to go back to visit her for one more day and then continue on my way back home.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 06:06:54 AM »
Very true about her income.

That's a good question. I'm probably not very skilled at buying tickets. I searched for a couple days and this was the best I could find for what I wanted. I like to fly premium economy for the longest leg of the journey. I paid $1700 round trip. I think it was too much but the next best option was $5K and it wasn't much better in terms of travel time. My trips always take 3 hops. How about you?

As it turned out, I got stuck in Warsaw for 4 days because of the crazy weather in New York. So I'm going to go back to visit her for one more day and then continue on my way back home.

It’s been many years however I flew Air France direct to CDG in Paris, switched planes and then direct to Kiev, switched again and on to my final destination in Ukraine. I paid more to avoid the long layovers.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 09:39:06 AM »
Just a thought not sure where in the east of Ukraine you needed to reach, but there are direct daily flights from Vienna to Dnepropetrovsk.  So we can do it in 2 flights over and 2 back with some time in Vienna on the return due to flight times.  This saves about a 6 hour layover in Kiev each way so much better for us.

Not sure if this helps, but pass it along for anyone interested in this route.

All the best with you and your lady.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 10:24:43 AM »
I used to be able to fly direct from Frankfurt -> Simferopol, no layovers.

Now its Amsterdam->Moscow->Simferopol Talk about going the wrong way first.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline justadude

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 11:47:47 AM »

I have heard about direct flights from California to Moscow. Then back to Ukraine. I will look into this next time. Although I hope there won't be a next time.

Offline justadude

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 11:48:38 AM »
Just a thought not sure where in the east of Ukraine you needed to reach, but there are direct daily flights from Vienna to Dnepropetrovsk.  So we can do it in 2 flights over and 2 back with some time in Vienna on the return due to flight times.  This saves about a 6 hour layover in Kiev each way so much better for us.

Not sure if this helps, but pass it along for anyone interested in this route.

All the best with you and your lady.

Thanks for the info and the well wishes!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 12:03:55 PM »
Suggest you try using several search engines in order to find the best combination of short flight time and low price. But don’t waste time; they can quickly disappear.

Offline Tripleg

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 03:53:37 PM »
Just curious, how did the two of you meet? Did you know Russian?

Offline justadude

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 07:59:22 AM »
We met via Tinder when I was in Ukraine last summer. I can count to 10 in Russian. Since I'm proud of that you can tell I don't really speak it! She is learning English. She makes considerable progress when we are together and relaxed. She gets nervous when I speak too fast. I told her this morning that I think she could survive just fine in an American city with how much she knows.

Speaking of this morning, I saw her again because I got caught up in the JFK flight cancellation disaster. LOT airlines put me up in a nice hotel in Warsaw for 4 days while I wait for another flight home. I can't say enough good about them. I will miss the first two days of teaching my HS students this semester.

Since I was stuck, I flew back across Ukraine to spend one more night with her. Meanwhile she had talked to her parents and a friend about my proposal. They were all on the positive side, essentially telling her to go live her dream.

She made me two more meals, dinner and breakfast. She observed that her cat likes me. And yes, I mean "cat" literally

While in Warsaw I made friends with an English guy who was also stranded. We hung out a few times and went to downtown Warsaw. That's a beautiful place! My abnb host in Warsaw on my layover coming in said Warsaw is a new city, unlike Paris, because the Poles didn't give up when invaded by the nazis during WW2. Since the city was more or less levelled, it's all new since 1945. I didn't mention I have German ancestry.

Offline Poldark

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 09:27:43 AM »
I didn't mention I have German ancestry.
Typical American, I'm 10% English, 12% Irish, 68% Korean and 10% German therefore, I feel the need to mention it in some stupid way. You're an American, that's like me saying I'm Scottish despite the fact the last Scot born was 4-5 generations ago, all born in London since.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »
Typical American, I'm 10% English, 12% Irish, 68% Korean and 10% German therefore, I feel the need to mention it in some stupid way. You're an American, that's like me saying I'm Scottish despite the fact the last Scot born was 4-5 generations ago, all born in London since.

I have Neanderthal ancestors , I don't mention it to anyone! :-X
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 10:19:14 AM »

I’m British through and through but always felt different than the other boys at Hogwarts, 56 Green Lane, Bolton. Hard to pin it down so I said to my dad one day...

“Ling Chow?,.......”

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline yankee

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 10:41:29 AM »
When I was being interviewed by ZAGS one of the questions they asked was what nationality I was.  I stated that I was American.  No No No they did not like this answer.  After some lengthy discussion I then told them that my father was 50% Irish and 50% Scottish and my mother was almost 100% English. I then told then that both families have been in the US for several generations.  Then I added that there was a rumor that there was some French Canadian on my mother’s side.  After several minutes of discussion they decided to leave the Nationality blank.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 10:45:20 AM »

I’m British through and through but always felt different than the other boys at Hogwarts, 56 Green Lane, Bolton. Hard to pin it down so I said to my dad one day...

“Ling Chow?,.......”

That's normal today!! How different did you feel, did you ever feel like wearing a skirt and high heels? having a sex change or wasn't sure if you was a male ? That is also normal today.. :chuckle:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »

“Ling Chow?,.......”

That's normal today!! How different did you feel, did you ever feel like wearing a skirt and high heels? having a sex change or wasn't sure if you was a male ? That is also normal today.. :chuckle:

Well a clit is vestigial dick and why do men have nipples?

One chromosome different!

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 11:01:55 AM »
We met via Tinder when I was in Ukraine last summer. I can count to 10 in Russian. Since I'm proud of that you can tell I don't really speak it! She is learning English. She makes considerable progress when we are together and relaxed. She gets nervous when I speak too fast. I told her this morning that I think she could survive just fine in an American city with how much she knows.

Speaking of this morning, I saw her again because I got caught up in the JFK flight cancellation disaster. LOT airlines put me up in a nice hotel in Warsaw for 4 days while I wait for another flight home. I can't say enough good about them. I will miss the first two days of teaching my HS students this semester.

Since I was stuck, I flew back across Ukraine to spend one more night with her. Meanwhile she had talked to her parents and a friend about my proposal. They were all on the positive side, essentially telling her to go live her dream.

She made me two more meals, dinner and breakfast. She observed that her cat likes me. And yes, I mean "cat" literally

While in Warsaw I made friends with an English guy who was also stranded. We hung out a few times and went to downtown Warsaw. That's a beautiful place! My abnb host in Warsaw on my layover coming in said Warsaw is a new city, unlike Paris, because the Poles didn't give up when invaded by the nazis during WW2. Since the city was more or less levelled, it's all new since 1945. I didn't mention I have German ancestry.

We’re rooting for you! Sounds good she is serious.  :party0011: :party0031:

Ignore the jealous Europeans who wish they were American but also in touch with their ancestry.  :coffeeread:

Offline Poldark

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 01:53:31 PM »
After some lengthy discussion I then told them that my father was 50% Irish and 50% Scottish and my mother was almost 100% English. I then told then that both families have been in the US for several generations.
Both families had been in the US for several generations you say? Then your parents are American not almost 100% English, American.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 02:59:45 PM »
After some lengthy discussion I then told them that my father was 50% Irish and 50% Scottish and my mother was almost 100% English. I then told then that both families have been in the US for several generations.
Both families had been in the US for several generations you say? Then your parents are American not almost 100% English, American.

Many Americans like to think they're Irish or Scottish. Its a Yank thing. Even Trump does it.  :coffeeread:

Anyway, this is a TR...........

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 03:41:29 PM »

I have heard about direct flights from California to Moscow. Then back to Ukraine. I will look into this next time. Although I hope there won't be a next time.

There's an LA-Moscow direct!  Hope there will be a next time!  If you're lady is lovely and all goes well, hope you would be planning travels back there to see her family with her...

Offline Jerash

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 03:49:26 PM »

“Ling Chow?,.......”

Well a clit is vestigial dick and why do men have nipples?

One chromosome different!

What a big difference it is!  Don't attempt to diminish it!

Offline yankee

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 04:37:58 PM »
After some lengthy discussion I then told them that my father was 50% Irish and 50% Aat both families have been in the US for several generations.

I appreciate what you are saying but the Russian government workers would disagree with you.

What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Registration