The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: What are my travel options from UK to Krasnodar?  (Read 14852 times)

Offline htrj

• Spouses Country: United Kingdom
  • Trips: None Yet
What are my travel options from UK to Krasnodar?
« on: December 26, 2017, 04:15:36 AM »
So,  I've encountered another one already. I've actually encountered two, one in Rostov and the other one in Krasnodar. They both seem very sweet and I'd like to meet both of them but the one in Krasnodar I particularly want to see.

I've never been to Russia before and I know nothing about getting around there. I'm in UK but could potentially fly over from any French or Spanish airports too.

So, how would you approach it? Which airport's to go to and from, onward journeys from the airport, fun things to do with very pretty siberian blond girls while I'm there...........

Seasons greetings and looking forward to hearing from you.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: What are my travel options from UK to Krasnodar?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 04:40:34 AM »
1/ Get yourself a RU tourist Visa - you can find places  that will 'make' you a voucher for a hotel at the town you will stay at - allowing you to book an apartment or stay at any hotel

2/ You can use kayak.co.uk / skyscanner.com to find flights to Rostov or Krasnodar ( use incognito mode - as cookies stores on your pc will mean you are remembered - prices go up !)

3/ Download yandex taxi app ( now UBER in RU ) and you can tie a bank card to pay the agreed fare - no probs with language - if you enter the correct destination

4/ Now the $64k dollar question ... Do you visit both ?   T'other will figure you've gone off the radar and can check your entry date in your passport - if she meets you ..

I live 50 percent of the time in Krasnodar region - but further south, in Sochi

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 05:37:59 AM »
I'd take the flights with less hops and traveltime, or travel 1 day earlier than you will tell anyone else. That way you get 1 day of rest after flying.

UK->Moscow->Krasnodar is an excellent route, as Moscow has english signs. I don't know about other airports, but it wouldn't surprise me if Local airports without international flights won't have english signs.

Simferopol had minimal English signs, despite it having Incoming international traffic pre-2014.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 05:45:45 AM »
I'd take the flights with less hops and traveltime, or travel 1 day earlier than you will tell anyone else. That way you get 1 day of rest after flying.

Do you think the OP will want to meet the lady ?

UK->Moscow->Krasnodar is an excellent route, as Moscow has english signs. I don't know about other airports, but it wouldn't surprise me if Local airports without international flights won't have english signs.

Simferopol had minimal English signs, despite it having Incoming international traffic pre-2014.

Istanbul is FAR more 'direct' - to Krasnodar -  using the low cost airline flypgs....

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 07:03:43 AM »
I flew to Krasnodar through Vienna, they have a direct flight from there. You might want to check that out.

What are your accomodation plans? If you are staying at a hotel I would recommend the Baoli hotel. Its a fairly new hotel, very comfortable and nice clean rooms at about the same price as the older soviet style hotels. The staff also speaks English.The only draw back is it is at the east end of the city, not right downtown but it is easy to take a marshuka or trolley car or taxi downtown from there, Krasnodar is not that big a city and is easy to get around. And there is a restaurant right there, or another about 1/2 block away and a grocery store close also.

Offline htrj

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 09:36:58 AM »
Thanks chaps.

Cheers for the Vienna tip, prices are astronomic though and flights dont appear to be very frequent. It works out at about £300 each way from what I saw.

Gatwick - Moscow is about a third of that price. I can see connecting flights to Krasnodar from Domodedovo but they are a bit cheaper if I go from Vnukovo. I guess there is train or shuttle bus between DME and VKO but could someone enlighten me on that?

Also does anyone know of a website that shows all the direct flights from any said airport? Ive always wanted to see one and never have. It would be really handy to see all the locations that Krasnodar, for instance, takes flights from and to.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »
I was waiting for an air flight with a woman from Serbia in the spring in Istanbul. She flew to Krasnodar, to her parents. Air flights every day. Previously, she flew through Moscow. I think that docking in Istanbul is an excellent option for the south of Russia.

Offline htrj

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »
Yes, I just saw some good options from Istanbul, thanks.

It seems "Skyscanners" can give sporadic results. Earlier I searched for flights from Vienna to Krasnodar and it gave me those high prices. Ive just searched for connecting flights and its shown me prices for half that amount via Vienna.

Any ideas for fun stuff to do in Krasnodar? Bars, restaurants, parks, galleries,cinemas,,,,,, anything?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
You do know how to use the net, right ? ;)

Trip Adviser

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g298532-Activities-Krasnodar_Krasnodar_Krai_Southern_District.html

You can even fly to Moscow and catch a sleeper train. There are Expresses that take 17/18 hours and slower trains that stop at more places and for longer ( c.30 hours )

https://pass.rzd.ru/tickets/public/en?layer_name=e3-route&st0=%D0%9C%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%B0&code0=2000000&st1=KRASNODAR+1&code1=2064800&dt0=04.01.2018&t00=0&t01=6&tfl=3&checkSeats=1

February is normally the cheapest month to travel - esp. mid week ..You'll need to get a hotel voucher, first and then you can apply for a Visa.

It is not 'easy' - as a lot of Russian is involved - from start to finish - your application process might take nearly 3 weeks  - 3 Visa centres in the UK ... Manchester is very small and helpful (one on one )

Offline Annushka

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 11:14:51 AM »
Yes, it's an excellent site. You can find a budget option for air flights month.
https://www.skyscanner.ru/
I think that for entertainment your woman will be a navigator. She also has to take care of finding a hotel with a visa. Excursions are offered to every hotel. There are far and near excursions.
I did a sightseeing tour by bus in Krasnodar. With a visit to the tasting room. Here are excellent wines of Phanagoria and Kuban wine.

Offline htrj

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 11:29:37 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Annuska,

Wine tasting would be ideal on any other occasion but my date doesn't like to drink.......... Just my luck! 

She likes Russian and American comedy movies so light hearted fun entertainment might be order of the evening.

Are there any comedy clubs or anything you can think of?

Offline Annushka

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 11:52:03 AM »
In addition to air tickets.
Your docking will be at Istanbul airport, Sabiha Gokcen. You should buy tickets on the airline's website:

https://www.flypgs.com/en

When I was vacationing in Gelendzhik, I was on a one-day excursion in Krasnodar. This was in the 80 years of the last century! The excursion tour included a tour of Krasnodar with a visit to the tasting room.
I already said above. Please, coordinate entertainment with your woman!

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
So,  I've encountered another one already. I've actually encountered two, one in Rostov and the other one in Krasnodar. They both seem very sweet and I'd like to meet both of them but the one in Krasnodar I particularly want to see.

I've never been to Russia before and I know nothing about getting around there. I'm in UK but could potentially fly over from any French or Spanish airports too.

So, how would you approach it? Which airport's to go to and from, onward journeys from the airport, fun things to do with very pretty siberian blond girls while I'm there...........

Seasons greetings and looking forward to hearing from you.

1. You need a Visa, there are threads which tell you how to do this. 
or you can ask in this thread here. I don't know if the process is
different for you than it is for Americans.

2. Go to Kayak.com
Type in LON (for all London airports) and KRR for Krasnodar
Then select your dates and find your fare

3. Go to airbnb.com and find an apartment.

Udachi!

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 02:55:09 PM »
Brits have to jump through the fingerprinting hoops, means a trip to someplace to get that done on top the actual visa. You can get a courier to do the second bit though but it ends up costing. My last Russian visa in 2015 cost me all told around £1000 I kid you not, with all the extra train journeys to London and overnight stays etc. Was a business visa multi though.

I'd advise the OP to go to Ukraine, Kiev much prettier than most Russian cities and no visa required.

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 07:30:30 PM »
Brits have to jump through the fingerprinting hoops, means a trip to someplace to get that done on top the actual visa. You can get a courier to do the second bit though but it ends up costing. My last Russian visa in 2015 cost me all told around £1000 I kid you not, with all the extra train journeys to London and overnight stays etc. Was a business visa multi though.

I'd advise the OP to go to Ukraine, Kiev much prettier than most Russian cities and no visa required.

Yes but when he falls for a scammer it’ll cost him even more.  :chuckle:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 12:08:56 AM »
Although Kiev is a very nice city, I don't find it particularly more pretty than most Russian cities.

And there are some Ukr/Russian cities that are much better than Kiev.

St. Petersburg comes to mind, or Yalta, Evpatoria, Kharkov (Ukraine).

Simferopol is on-par with Kiev, I find neither better.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline htrj

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 02:38:36 AM »

[/quote]

And so the "S" words rears its ugly head once again.....................

Just to expand the Istanbul route a little further what are peoples thoughts on flying her there? Assuming shes willing to of course. I dont suppose it would work out much cheaper in the long run but I went to bed last night thinking it would certainly be warmer, potentially more fun for both of us and neither of us need a visa to go there.

No doubt it has been done before, what are the draw backs?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 02:53:18 AM »
I was waiting for an air flight with a woman from Serbia in the spring in Istanbul. She flew to Krasnodar, to her parents. Air flights every day. Previously, she flew through Moscow. I think that docking in Istanbul is an excellent option for the south of Russia.

Not if your west-european. Istanbul frequently puts you through hassle if something 'happens' between the 2 countries.

This weekend for instance:
Dutch travelers were subjected to a rigorous 100% anti-drugs check, as a reprisal for schiphol-airport doing the same to Turkish passengers (But schiphol had a call tipping them off of possible drug-trade on a specific THY plane).

New in dutch here:
https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1473659/turkije-neemt-wraak-op-nederlandse-toeristen
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 03:43:35 AM »

Although Kiev is a very nice city, I don't find it particularly more pretty than most Russian cities.

It is indeed a VERY good starting point - because of the Visa issue...  Then one can 'graduate' to Russia - if the appetite is whetted

Then you go on to make a political point.... including Crimean places - that if visited - exclude folks from visiting Ukraine -due to their disputed status.  Hardly wise 'advice' to a newbie....

Piter is THE most interesting city - if into architecture, history, culture ... and my most recent visit suggested a high ratio of attractive lasses .... and I'd been in Moscow, before...   

S'pol v Kiev - now you're having a 'larf .... 

The latter is a capital city and has MANY more facilities and attractions ...Crimea is a beautiful place ....

The most important thing is that the OP has made contacts in SW Russia NOT Ukraine .....

Not if your west-european. Istanbul frequently puts you through hassle if something 'happens' between the 2 countries.

Dutch travelers were subjected to a rigorous 100% anti-drugs check, as a reprisal for schiphol-airport doing the same to Turkish passengers (But schiphol had a call tipping them off of possible drug-trade on a specific THY plane).

New in dutch here:
https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1473659/turkije-neemt-wraak-op-nederlandse-toeristen

As someone frequenting Istanbul FAR more frequently than you - to transit to/from either Sochi or the Turkish coast - you are talking NONSENSE.

I have never encountered such rigours

Online sparky114

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 03:49:22 AM »

And so the "S" words rears its ugly head once again.....................

Just to expand the Istanbul route a little further what are peoples thoughts on flying her there? Assuming shes willing to of course. I dont suppose it would work out much cheaper in the long run but I went to bed last night thinking it would certainly be warmer, potentially more fun for both of us and neither of us need a visa to go there.

[/quote]

Istanbul is very easy to do, she can got there visa free, and you will only need an online visa ...simples

But she would have to be obviously in agreement and you would have to be the honourable person that does not push her into the same room same bed on the first meeting... but each to their own on that, and dont listen to me because i did it and never used the second room :-X :biggrin:

Krasnodar is a very beautiful area, we spent some time there over the last few years " long weekends" with friends and from where we live (Part Time) in Rostov Region its not so far

Yes as a UK Resident you will need a Visa, i do this maybe twice a year, its not so bad for me based in Oxford as London is a easy trek, and yes for my now "family" Visa its a sinch

But yet i do still find it a Grind  (:)

We fly most times through Heathrow, Moscow, Rostov on Don, the latter just opened their new Airport which is not so close to town anymore meaning a bit of a trek to get into Rostov

Not done it yet so can give you no info on that but then as we have a Car my knowledge is limited on public transport

Hope my Ramble helps you

PS the "S" word comes up many times, my advice to you is that you are much closer to the Gold than them :)
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Annushka

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 04:34:28 AM »

I like the way your thoughts go!
This is my favorite place for a hotel: the Galata Bridge and the historical peninsula.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 04:45:38 AM »

New in dutch here:

I think that customs is responsible for their duties. I will tell you more: checking in Russia, Volgograd is much more thorough! After the New Year's Eve terrorist attacks in Volgograd, 2013, the inspection for customs under the full program!

Offline Annushka

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 04:55:04 AM »
But she would have to be obviously in agreement and you would have to be the honourable person that does not push her into the same room same bed on the first meeting... but each to their own on that, and dont listen to me because i did it and never used the second room :-X :biggrin:

I already warned everyone in my topic. In Istanbul, strangers are not allowed into the hotel!
To rent one room for two, you need an official marriage registration!
So we booked two rooms. Although, when booking, you can specify special conditions.
To start to convince your woman. Please, dare!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 05:45:13 AM »

It is indeed a VERY good starting point - because of the Visa issue...  Then one can 'graduate' to Russia - if the appetite is whetted
Yet, the original OP didn't ask for Ukraine, he had 2 Russian cities where he had girls he wanted to meet. So Kiev itself is already slightly off-topic.

Then you go on to make a political point.... including Crimean places - that if visited - exclude folks from visiting Ukraine -due to their disputed status.  Hardly wise 'advice' to a newbie....
You're making it a political point. I have never had problems visiting Ukraine. And I do frequent Crimea a lot.

and it helps if you had -read- the rules :
As long as you enter Crimea without passing the UKR/Crimean border, you are ok. I.E. the road between Kherson and Rozdolne. Flying is no issue whatsoever, as UIA does not offer flights to Simferopol anymore so even if you weren't aware you are protected.

S'pol v Kiev - now you're having a 'larf .... 
No I am not. Kiev only has 1 major place that is nice to visit for me. Globus/Maidan.

Simferopol likewise, only 2 major good places to visit. The area around the Airport and Central trainstation.

New in dutch here:

As someone frequenting Istanbul FAR more frequently than you - to transit to/from either Sochi or the Turkish coast - you are talking NONSENSE.

I have never encountered such rigours
I will notify the Dutch Major news outlets that they are spreading Fake news, because it hasn't happend to you yet  :o

Of course, the fact that the named article quotes sources with similar experiences in Germany and Austria (with mainstream newspapers no less) makes no difference, it didn't happen to you so thems wrong.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Poldark

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 06:42:43 AM »
Russian visas aren't that hard to get and honestly, Ukraine is meh. Kiev isn't to my liking, it's a small provincal town and one would be better served going strange to Russia although not Moscow but St. Petersburg, it's 100 times better than Moscow from artitecture to museums to night life and from there move out to the other towns around Russia to get a feel for the real Russia.

Personally I'd advise anyone wanting to experience Russia but tempted to go to Ukraine due to 'visa issues' to wait and spend the extra for a visa to Russia, you'll be much better off and no need for this 'graduate to Russia' BS.

Registration