The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: US Airforce base ... in the UK  (Read 309 times)

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
US Airforce base ... in the UK
« on: December 18, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/us-air-force-suffolk-lockdown-144026329.html

Why does the Uk have the need for a US airbase in the UK ? It needs to be closed down and all the US staff removed asap...
I cannot think of a single reason why they need to be there?

Probably the chicken shit government with no bottle, are to scared to rock the boat..

If I was living any where near that place and just happened to meet any of the US personals out in town I would have a few things to say for sure.. :smokin:

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
Re: US Airforce base ... in the UK
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:22:11 PM »

Why does the Uk have the need for a US airbase in the UK ? It needs to be closed down and all the US staff removed asap...

Probably the chicken shit government with no bottle, are to scared to rock the boat..

If I was living any where near that place and just happened to meet any of the US personals out in town I would have a few things to say for sure.. :smokin:

No doubt that would scare them off.  :ROFL:

Online dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 06:51:17 PM »
I wonder if it is NATO related?  You need a quick strike force in case the Commies or Fascists come back again.   :chuckle:

Online Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »
The Fourth Protocol

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online Confederate

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 07:32:54 PM »
The Fourth Protocol

Sounds like something Labour would try to hatch.  :coffeeread:

The political plot of the book to enable the Labour Party to win the general election (the purpose of the operation) and allow for a communist takeover of the party was left out.

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 10:54:03 PM »
It must be part of the "SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP" between USA & UK.

Care anybody explain to us what exactly entails (mean), when somebody refers to the "Special relationship"?

"For every beauty there is an eye to see it. For every truth there is an ear to hear it."

Online Confederate

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 11:07:28 PM »

Care anybody explain to us what exactly entails (mean), when somebody refers to the "Special relationship"?

Yeah, where the U.K. gets their ass in a jam and whines to the USA, please save us spoiled brats from our latest adventure!!

(WWI etc.)

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 02:06:20 AM »

Yeah, where the U.K. gets their ass in a jam and whines to the USA, please save us spoiled brats from our latest adventure!!

(WWI etc.)

I think you need a reality check, research and review for the real reasons for the existence of the so called "Special Relation" and you will be surprised to discover that the US needs "more" the co-operation than the UK.

Just for starters, the US has been paid back in Gold and given Bases around the world for the USA technical and supplies support during WWI &II.

On the other hand the US despite its technical advances... needs desperately the help of the well informed UK, for whatever is happening around the World! On this subject I can assure you that the US will never match the UK in this area.

I think you need to read and learn.... alot on this subject!

As about the US bases in the No...f.u.c.k...sorry Norfolk County, it's part of your contribution to NATO, otherwise how the US could keep a close eye, without contributing to the security of its best Ally in Europe?

Germany is still a US protectorate until 2099, according to the capitulation agreement signed after the collapse of Nazi Germany at the end of 1945 and you have 42 bases there too! 

tiphat

"For every beauty there is an eye to see it. For every truth there is an ear to hear it."

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 01:42:59 PM »

They have one on the Yorkshire Moors as well that doubles as a spying listening station: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Menwith_Hill

The entrance is guarded by armed US soldiers. I never liked that in Blighty. I drove up to it once when I was passing for a laugh and to ask questions, and they get very agitated.

Offline Texan77

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 04:07:20 PM »

The US spend over 50,000 per month per staff member. Much of that money go into the UK economy. I would be happy to have that money come home. Then the Uk would need to pony up and buy a real military. Sounds great to me!!!

Online Ste

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »

The US spend over 50,000 per month per staff member. Much of that money go into the UK economy. I would be happy to have that money come home. Then the Uk would need to pony up and buy a real military. Sounds great to me!!!

I'd take the British Army over the US Army anyway, not (effectively) conscripted. I'm not a fan of of warmongering, but the British Army are not known as 'The Professionals' for nothing.

I remember seeing a news item during the second Gulf War, first it was some American Soldiers blowing up some Arab buildings from a distance - which to be fair they did, but then it was all whoop-whoop, high fives and back-slapping. Then it showed the British Army doing something similar, same result, but then target destroyed, come on chaps, move on, next target....

No barn dance at all, just job done.

Another time during US/UK war games we got two Blackburn fighter-bombers carrying pretend nuclear payload to New York under the noses of the US defence network by hiding them under the huge delta wings of a Vulcan bomber, something to do with confusing the radar with the shape of the aircraft...

We got the nous, but not the cash, the US took it all making us pay for our part in stopping Hitler reaching the US, the Amerika bomber wasn't far off!

Online msmoby

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 04:36:59 PM »

This sure is the week for clueless Americans proving they know fck all about what's happening outside their own County line..

I'm starting to believe 'Tramp' supporters need to build that wall and pull up the draw bridge ... for sure the comments coming from the White House can't get any dafter... 

Gosh, I'm now 'anti-Russian', mock HM govt and 'anti-American'   ....   ?! 

Online msmoby

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 04:45:19 PM »

They have one on the Yorkshire Moors as well that doubles as a spying listening station: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Menwith_Hill

The entrance is guarded by armed US soldiers. I never liked that in Blighty. I drove up to it once when I was passing for a laugh and to ask questions, and they get very agitated.

It doesn't 'double' as anything other than specifically being a Comms base ...  mainly reception - rather than transmission.

When I was younger I loved having all the US bases here ... there was something called the BUSH contract system.... (Buy US here) ..it predated the Bush dynasty era.

I must try and your 'technique' at a Russian base and wonder at the patience the American Guard had with you ....   Oh hang on a mo ....  I was in the Finnish / Russian 'no-mans' land last week and was wise enough to shut up and drive through it....

Online Confederate

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 06:43:37 PM »

I'd take the British Army over the US Army anyway, not (effectively) conscripted. I'm not a fan of of warmongering, but the British Army are not known as 'The Professionals' for nothing.

I remember seeing a news item during the second Gulf War, first it was some American Soldiers blowing up some Arab buildings from a distance - which to be fair they did, but then it was all whoop-whoop, high fives and back-slapping. Then it showed the British Army doing something similar, same result, but then target destroyed, come on chaps, move on, next target....

Another time during US/UK war games we got two Blackburn fighter-bombers carrying pretend nuclear payload to New York under the noses of the US defence network by hiding them under the huge delta wings of a Vulcan bomber, something to do with confusing the radar with the shape of the aircraft...

We got the nous, but not the cash, the US took it all making us pay for our part in stopping Hitler reaching the US, the Amerika bomber wasn't far off!

I agree the British army are professionals now. Yet chances are next mess you lot start you’ll be calling us.  :coffeeread:

Online Ste

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 06:56:06 PM »

I agree the British army are professionals now. Yet chances are next mess you lot start you’ll be calling us.  :coffeeread:

Just wondering when was the last time we got involved in a non-coalition conflict? Falklands I think, all we got was 'shuttle diplomacy' via Kissinger ISTR.

The Vulcan bombing raids story is amazing, two bombers sent to fly from UK to Falklands, via Ascension Island, leased to USA and they weren't helping much, one bomber got a leak in cockpit window on takeoff so had to turn back, Victor tanker after Victor tanker had to refuel it to get it there and back, all the fuel calculations done on a Casio, went wrong on refuel one, took 17 Victor tankers to refuel the lone Vulcan and other Victors to go further to refuel the Vulcan further on, total balls up, 21 one ton bombs, only one hit the airfield at Stanley, but did the damage, sent back the codeword for a successful raid;

SUPERFUSE

Now, how to get home...

Cracking story of a tiny bit of success after everything went totally wrong from the first 2 minutes..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck