The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: What are the reasons that FSUW/foreigner marriages fail?  (Read 8776 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
What are the reasons that FSUW/foreigner marriages fail?
« on: December 12, 2017, 08:45:04 PM »
I just spent a half hour reading stories in the train wreck room. Some of them are scary as hell. But also, the ones I read seemed to be for marriages that failed before they started, or very soon there after, and usually involving some pretty crazy alleged behavior by the woman.

Premise: You meet an FSUW and actually get far enough to bring her to your country for a fiance or marriage visa.

Questions:
1. If you actually get married and make it past the first 2-3 years, do your chances of sticking it out go up substantially?

2. What are the typical reasons these marriages fail?
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: What are the reasons that FSUW/foreigner marriages fail?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 11:24:04 PM »

Some of us, old members, over the years on these boards have seen many couples having troubles and many were divorced and all because of big lies and broken promises.

In one case he said he would buy a house for them to live in, but he was lying, he couldn’t do it. As it happens he could not even take care of his new family and the young woman had to go out to work in the evening to support the whole family!

On the other case he married a very young woman, promised to have children, lived together for many years and then …….. they divorced!

I will not give out any more details, which will identify these men, because it’s not the purpose of this post.

In my opinion these two guys asked for the trouble they had with their Russian wife’s because they were so needy to show off and impress these ladies so they were dishonest about themselves.

Honesty and complete disclosure of your circumstances, before getting married, it’s not only a noble action on your part but also a good policy if you want to build trust and a loving relationship with your wife!

Relationships do not survive the time without complete trust between the partners.

IMO, we have an obligation to tell the women what our lives are like and what we intend our future lives to be like, if she asks or not. I am not saying to lay out everything on your first trip, but certainly before you marry her and she arrives at your country!

Although, I would agree that none of us has a crystal ball to tell the future, and later circumstances may change and he can’t fulfil what he had promised, that is another matter, but he should make his best effort to explain and educate the woman so she knows what to expect.

tiphat
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:42:08 AM »
I just spent a half hour reading stories in the train wreck room. Some of them are scary as hell. But also, the ones I read seemed to be for marriages that failed before they started, or very soon there after, and usually involving some pretty crazy alleged behavior by the woman.

Premise: You meet an FSUW and actually get far enough to bring her to your country for a fiance or marriage visa.

Questions:
1. If you actually get married and make it past the first 2-3 years, do your chances of sticking it out go up substantially?

2. What are the typical reasons these marriages fail?

Speaking from experience - we did get past 2-3 years - lack of trust . / respect ..   ironically, sorted out when a lot time separated. 

Getting married is the 'easy' part...making it work is not just getting past landmark years - strong relationships breakdown and one's that outsiders think will 'never last' surprise.

We even lived together for 6 months before getting married  - so we had plenty of time to learn each other's 'bad' points ..;)

I'd offer one piece of advice .... remember what brought you together and what 'mildly irritates'..if you hot a crisis - the latter might come to the for and try to remember the former !

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 05:48:23 AM »
Marrying a foreign women is no different to marrying any other women when it comes to how long you stay together..

If you click and get on together..and both on the same wave length  that is all you need to last!!

If your 60 years old marring a 35 year old women you are very unlikely to be on the same wave length... simple stuff really, not much to even speak about.
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Mr strange

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 06:48:59 AM »
Cultural differences

Wrong expectations

Wrong goals or never set for the future

Lies, misunderstandings, disrespect and dishonesty

Not a clear view and understanding of how the economy works outside Russia/Ukraine

Lack of education before the going to Russia/Ukraine

Lack of romance or gentleman or being the man

Those are just on the top of my head for now

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 07:42:33 AM »
Cultural differences...,

An observation... You base this on 'experience' ?  ..'No trips, yet', in profile....

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 12:17:49 PM »
Marrying a foreign women is no different to marrying any other women when it comes to how long you stay together..

If you click and get on together..and both on the same wave length  that is all you need to last!!

Your enthusiasm is inspiriting.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »

Inspiring.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 01:58:23 PM »

Inspiring.

Thanks Confederate, though it's you more experienced members who inspire me more than vice versa (I would presume anyhow).

Now to utilize online dating services or not? As tempting as it feels, I'm of the inclination (after holding private conversations with a few members of this forum) that first taking some time to explore is a wise choice. This way, when I do start to reach out to various ladies, I can mention that I've already visited their city / town (and of course this method also provides me the opportunity to refrain from contacting potential women in locations that I've found to be undesirable upon visitation). Opinions on this strategy? 

"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 03:22:41 PM »

Inspiring.

Thanks Confederate, though it's you more experienced members who inspire me more than vice versa (I would presume anyhow).

Now to utilize online dating services or not? As tempting as it feels, I'm of the inclination (after holding private conversations with a few members of this forum) that first taking some time to explore is a wise choice. This way, when I do start to reach out to various ladies, I can mention that I've already visited their city / town (and of course this method also provides me the opportunity to refrain from contacting potential women in locations that I've found to be undesirable upon visitation). Opinions on this strategy?

I would do both. Try to line up some dates in the city you wish to visit.

Perhaps use Steveboy’s site and a couple others.

BTW I was only correcting your spelling. ????

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 04:00:31 PM »

Inspiring.

I would do both. Try to line up some dates in the city you wish to visit.

Perhaps use Steveboy’s site and a couple others.

BTW I was only correcting your spelling. ????

Yes, Steveboy's site (as well as those other local resources) may well be worth employing in the forthcoming years.

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 01:55:14 AM »
I just spent a half hour reading stories in the train wreck room. Some of them are scary as hell.

I filmed and edited this 10 years ago when I was involved in this subject. I am the self-proclaimed expert on the subject. I was told I was the expert on this by a defense attorney in Florida. My little film below was shown at the Heritage Foundation during one of their conferences and introduced by the late Phyllis Schlafly:

'Avi's Story'

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 02:00:51 AM »
I just spent a half hour reading stories in the train wreck room. Some of them are scary as hell.

I filmed and edited this 10 years ago when I was involved in this subject. I am the self-proclaimed expert on the subject. I was told I was the expert on this by a defense attorney in Florida. My little film below was shown at the Heritage Foundation during one of their conferences and introduced by the late Phyllis Schlafly:

'Avi's Story'

Looks like some thing from the Jeramy Kyle show  :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Wiz

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 02:24:33 AM »
Here is a test ground for you to practice.... and see what fish you can catch.

Visit this Completely FREE dating site. There you will find whatever you have in your mind and a lot more than you expect.

https://russian-personals.com/

Create a profile with your requirements BUT do not upload any photos for more than 2 weeks.

When you write your profile, avoid using normal English writing style and try to write in a style that when translated will be gibberish.

Remember to ignore any message that she does not reply in English. Of course she is not going to be fluent but you still can communicate without the help of a translator.

All emails and messages you will receive the first couple of weeks (without photo on your profile) ... just delete them.

Create an email that you can get rid off when you don't need it, to stop receiving spam.

When the avalance of spam messages subside.... then upload a good real photo of yours..... and wait. Make sure you are open and honest about yourself and what they can expect from you to fulfil their expectations.

When you find somebody who you think is good and looks honest then ask for their land line telephone to verify........ Once you establish that she is real and interesting..... then give her your real email..... and start talking..... Dont rush and get to know as much as you can about her. Make sure then when you are ready to get on  a flight and visit her.

If it is possible make and have a plan B .......... just in case if you don't click when you meet.

DO read very carefully their profiles...........

If no luck with plan A, then you can visit the plan B .......... and don't use the wrong name when talking to them. .....

GOOD SIGNS: Watch to see if they remove their profiles from public view after start talking to them in private.

Don't forget to take with you, your condoms.! Like you they also want to know if you can perform your duties and then when you wake up in the morning, without any make up, you will know if you want to share your life with them but don't let you small head to run your plans :)

If all that fail.... then ask Steve for help!

Have fun.

MAX you forgot to post the links for me..... thanks

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 04:33:38 AM »
Wiz.... HOW long ago did you actually date a FSU W or went there?

Even I am 4 years out of touch ...my extent is advising local ladies which site to look for a guy.

Ty he FIRST thing I say is, 'AVOID'  the sites where guys can register for free....

These sites need to earn money to survive and yet guys expect to be protected from scammers.

Hence my suggestion is to bin Wiz' 'advice'...

Whilst steveboy has a downer on Ukraine ladies, his biz model seems as sound and one knows the operator is involved day to day.

Better guys get ( their 5hit) together, post an honest profile and good photos and be ready to travel..

Actions speak louder than words

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 11:55:20 AM »
This seems like an interesting topic and I have a lot of disconnected thoughts on the topic.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that yes, FSUW/AM marriages do fail but I have seen some studies that tend to show that they don't fail at any higher rate than AM/AW marriages.  Actually they seem to show a slightly lower rate of failure.

With that out of the way I will add that sometimes what we think caused a marriage to fail may have little to do with reality.  I am sure there are cases where a woman tells a man that she wants a divorce because he works too much and in reality she met some dude at a gym that that has her hormones running wild. 

I know of two cases where it seems that the guy did not want kids and the woman when she was in her 20's felt the same but as her biological clock ticked down she supposedly changed her mind.

I do think kids from a previous marriage can cause a marriage to fail.  I know of at least one where the AM had issues with the way the UW was raising her son and they argued a lot about the way she was parenting.  They ended up getting divorced.

I do think in the early days of guys looking for a RW or UW times were tough in the FSU and women were desperate to get out and probably latched onto any guy that would have them or the first guy that was willing to hook up with them.  Once they got here they either stayed with them for the 2 years they needed to or faked domestic abuse charges so they didn't have to say with the loser they married.  The loser was probably a very nice guy who tried hard to make her happy and probably was a better guy than the one she ended up with. 

Just as there are some nutty women here there are a few there that really don't have their head screwed on right.  The FSU is a tougher place to grow up in and live in and people there tend to be more direct and more driven.  There are some women who will do whatever they have to do get what they want and don't mind using a man and deceiving him to get what they want.  It's been a long time since I read Maxx's horror story from long ago but that is a case of that as is the video's he posted.  I think Wiz and his experience with Mirror was much the same.  A deceitful woman willing to use a man to get what she wants.

On the other hand I think there are cases where men can be deceitful as well.  One of my wife's former friends had her husband tell her he was a successful business owner and after they married she found he had a pizza shop on the verge of bankruptcy and they ended up totally broke and she did leave him.  I can recall one person I knew locally that wrote women and sent a nice photo of him in a suit and he didn't have two cents to rub together.  He was living in a house with no running water that was later condemned and torn down and had not held a job in a decade. 

Flipping the coin to the other side when I look at my wife's friends I see some very devoted women who are happily married under less than ideal circumstances.  One lady works full time while her husband sits home all day and when she is there he expects her to wait on him hand and foot.  Another is in a marriage with little money and cleans houses full time to help with the bills.  Basically I see some well matched couples but I see some that are quite content to be married to a guy who is not a trophy in anyone's book.   

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »

As I understand it you are thinking about visiting as a tourist without trying to meet any woman.  My one or two cents worth on the idea are as follows:  Both Russia and Ukraine are great places to visit and there is a lot to see and do.  Knowing you have made the trip to their city could make them feel that you were more serious about meeting someone special.  Those are the pluses of how I see your idea.

Flipping the coin to the other side it is expensive enough and time consuming enough that if you are going you might as well meet some women while you are there.  Not only would it let you get some lay of the land but it would get your feet wet in meeting women from there and what works and what doesn't work.  Although there are great sites to see sometimes it can be a lot more fun to have an attractive woman to share those sites with and you can get a lot more insight into how people from that country think and what they are like when you get to know some of them and their families.  I made a number of trips (and some agency tours which were a waste) while I was pretty clueless and the more experiences you have to figure out what works and doesn't work for you the better. 

My feelings after having made a lot of trips in the past are that some of the places that are not very desirable as a tourist may be some of the better places to look for the woman you hope to find.  Lots of people seem to head for Kiev, Moscow and St Petersburg and sometimes the pickings there are not as good as places like Lugansk, Zaparosia (sp?) and Maripol which are not the nicest cities to visit.  I found my wife in Barnaul Russia which is 3 time zones east of Moscow and really not an easy place to get to. 

Like anything in life the more you know the greater your chances of success.  I was pretty clueless when I started and to be honest having found the forums helped me a lot because I was able to learn from the mistakes of others and pick their brains to see what might work for me.  Still the more experience I had the easier it became and the less time and money I wasted.

If you want to just go and see what it is like there I am sure you will have a great time and there is nothing wrong with that thought.  It really is an amazing place to visit.  If you decide to make the most of it while you are there that too is good.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 11:22:27 PM »
This seems like an interesting topic and I have a lot of disconnected thoughts on the topic.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that yes, FSUW/AM marriages do fail but I have seen some studies that tend to show that they don't fail at any higher rate than AM/AW marriages.  Actually they seem to show a slightly lower rate of failure.

With that out of the way I will add that sometimes what we think caused a marriage to fail may have little to do with reality.  I am sure there are cases where a woman tells a man that she wants a divorce because he works too much and in reality she met some dude at a gym that that has her hormones running wild. 

I know of two cases where it seems that the guy did not want kids and the woman when she was in her 20's felt the same but as her biological clock ticked down she supposedly changed her mind.

I do think kids from a previous marriage can cause a marriage to fail.  I know of at least one where the AM had issues with the way the UW was raising her son and they argued a lot about the way she was parenting.  They ended up getting divorced.

I do think in the early days of guys looking for a RW or UW times were tough in the FSU and women were desperate to get out and probably latched onto any guy that would have them or the first guy that was willing to hook up with them.  Once they got here they either stayed with them for the 2 years they needed to or faked domestic abuse charges so they didn't have to say with the loser they married.  The loser was probably a very nice guy who tried hard to make her happy and probably was a better guy than the one she ended up with. 

Just as there are some nutty women here there are a few there that really don't have their head screwed on right.  The FSU is a tougher place to grow up in and live in and people there tend to be more direct and more driven.  There are some women who will do whatever they have to do get what they want and don't mind using a man and deceiving him to get what they want.  It's been a long time since I read Maxx's horror story from long ago but that is a case of that as is the video's he posted.  I think Wiz and his experience with Mirror was much the same.  A deceitful woman willing to use a man to get what she wants.

On the other hand I think there are cases where men can be deceitful as well.  One of my wife's former friends had her husband tell her he was a successful business owner and after they married she found he had a pizza shop on the verge of bankruptcy and they ended up totally broke and she did leave him.  I can recall one person I knew locally that wrote women and sent a nice photo of him in a suit and he didn't have two cents to rub together.  He was living in a house with no running water that was later condemned and torn down and had not held a job in a decade. 

Flipping the coin to the other side when I look at my wife's friends I see some very devoted women who are happily married under less than ideal circumstances.  One lady works full time while her husband sits home all day and when she is there he expects her to wait on him hand and foot.  Another is in a marriage with little money and cleans houses full time to help with the bills.  Basically I see some well matched couples but I see some that are quite content to be married to a guy who is not a trophy in anyone's book.   

That was a great post Ray. Basically it is all over the map on why some of these marriages fail. I've been known to show the most dramatic examples of failure and have often gotten criticized for it. But I do it not to say that marriages to a foreign bride are a bad idea, but to say you better use extra caution because the legal system is against you if you fail. I have learned most people think in black-n-white and want to polarize on how they want us to look at things. Ray, you did a good summation of the faults and weaknesses can come from one side or the other or from both.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 11:39:46 PM »

Looks like some thing from the Jeramy Kyle show  :laugh:

Not knowing who he was I looked him up on youtube. Yes! Many times it gets to be like our version of JK, the Jerry Springer Show.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 01:43:30 AM »
As I understand it you are thinking about visiting as a tourist without trying to meet any woman.  My one or two cents worth on the idea are as follows:  Both Russia and Ukraine are great places to visit and there is a lot to see and do.  Knowing you have made the trip to their city could make them feel that you were more serious about meeting someone special.  Those are the pluses of how I see your idea.

Flipping the coin to the other side it is expensive enough and time consuming enough that if you are going you might as well meet some women while you are there.  Not only would it let you get some lay of the land but it would get your feet wet in meeting women from there and what works and what doesn't work.  Although there are great sites to see sometimes it can be a lot more fun to have an attractive woman to share those sites with and you can get a lot more insight into how people from that country think and what they are like when you get to know some of them and their families.  I made a number of trips (and some agency tours which were a waste) while I was pretty clueless and the more experiences you have to figure out what works and doesn't work for you the better. 

My feelings after having made a lot of trips in the past are that some of the places that are not very desirable as a tourist may be some of the better places to look for the woman you hope to find.  Lots of people seem to head for Kiev, Moscow and St Petersburg and sometimes the pickings there are not as good as places like Lugansk, Zaparosia (sp?) and Maripol which are not the nicest cities to visit.  I found my wife in Barnaul Russia which is 3 time zones east of Moscow and really not an easy place to get to. 

Like anything in life the more you know the greater your chances of success.  I was pretty clueless when I started and to be honest having found the forums helped me a lot because I was able to learn from the mistakes of others and pick their brains to see what might work for me.  Still the more experience I had the easier it became and the less time and money I wasted.

If you want to just go and see what it is like there I am sure you will have a great time and there is nothing wrong with that thought.  It really is an amazing place to visit.  If you decide to make the most of it while you are there that too is good.

Great thoughts Ray, thanks for the input. After reading your post, I have a better understanding of the disadvantages associated with this strategy (ie. extra time / money / trips, failure to get experience with women at each opportunity, etc.).

I don't doubt for a minute that there are plenty of wonderful people in smaller, out-of-the-way towns within the FSU, but a cornerstone of any strategy that I employ will involve the (eventual) purchase of property on foreign soil. For this reason, I feel that it's smart to stay within the borders of any respectably-sized city. Attributes on my list include: English speaking, friendly toward foreigners (Americans), quality tap water / reliable utilities and healthy infrastructure (smooth roads, safe bridges, close proximity to a hospital and an airfield hosting a surfaced runway of 6000' or greater). I'm purely throwing a dart at the map here, but Lvov is an example of city that might qualify within these stipulations, no?

I completely understand what you're saying about being as informed as possible. I'd like anyone reading my words to know that I greatly appreciate the contributions of members' time, knowledge and experience here on the forum. Your willingness to share with (and assist) others is both noble and generous.     

• Supporting Hero Member

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 08:50:45 AM »

Great thoughts Ray, thanks for the input. After reading your post, I have a better understanding of the disadvantages associated with this strategy (ie. extra time / money / trips, failure to get experience with women at each opportunity, etc.).

I don't doubt for a minute that there are plenty of wonderful people in smaller, out-of-the-way towns within the FSU, but a cornerstone of any strategy that I employ will involve the (eventual) purchase of property on foreign soil. For this reason, I feel that it's smart to stay within the borders of any respectably-sized city. Attributes on my list include: English speaking, friendly toward foreigners (Americans), quality tap water / reliable utilities and healthy infrastructure (smooth roads, safe bridges, close proximity to a hospital and an airfield hosting a surfaced runway of 6000' or greater). I'm purely throwing a dart at the map here, but Lvov is an example of city that might qualify within these stipulations, no?

From a standpoint of finding a place you would like to live staying to the better cities makes sense.  I haven't been to Lvov but have heard good things about it and it might be a place to consider.   My favorites in Ukraine of the places I did visit were Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk.  When it comes time to look for the woman you want to live there with keep in mind that you don't have to live in her city so you could meet one in a city you would not dream of living in and move to the city you like.

Back when VWRW and I were doing our visa application to bring her to the USA they had a period where they were putting tons of people in Administrative Review and letting them sit there forever.  I heard there were 800,000 people in A/R. I was communicating with dozens of people stuck in A/R on VisaJourney one of which had been in A/R for 8 years and others that were in it for over a year.  We had decided that if we couldn't get the visa approved we would find somewhere else to live together and did make two trips to scout out places.  One was in Russia which was Sochi, the other was Granada.  Grenada won the contest but while we were there we came out of A/R and a few months later she was here.

Unless things have changed in the 11 years since my last trip there is no tap water in the FSU that is safe to drink.  You can get sick as a dog from eating from a plate or drinking from a glass that was washed in tap water.  I do have some first hand experience with this but only on one of my 25 or so trips.  Actually that was a tour and everyone on the tour was deathly sick without drinking any tap water or even brushing our teeth with it.  I am sure the other things you hope to find there are something that can be found. 

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 08:58:29 AM »

That was a great post Ray. Basically it is all over the map on why some of these marriages fail. I've been known to show the most dramatic examples of failure and have often gotten criticized for it. But I do it not to say that marriages to a foreign bride are a bad idea, but to say you better use extra caution because the legal system is against you if you fail. I have learned most people think in black-n-white and want to polarize on how they want us to look at things. Ray, you did a good summation of the faults and weaknesses can come from one side or the other or from both.

I think one of the worst aspects of our governments policies is when a woman is here and wants out of the marriage if she hasn't been married for 2 years the only way she can stay is by faking domestic abuse which makes a really bad situation for the guy who in most cases tried hard to be a good husband and never laid a hand on the woman. 

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 09:39:35 AM »
^ It's neither swift nor sure but a woman can self-petition.