The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Adios Senora Beloespana!  (Read 7231 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Adios Senora Beloespana!
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2017, 07:05:51 AM »
Good points Rosco and, iirc, does the inestimable moby not still have some hold over her life? Did the divorce yet happen?

Given what we know of moby and his 'relationship' with his abused former wife it is not hard to imagine reasons why she'd choose to present a sweet smiling face to her tormentor as a means of self protection. One might not agree with the strategy but one can most certainly understand it.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2017, 08:30:57 AM »
https://flic.kr/p/CXscCY

I'm not impressed.

Edit to add: ... by any of the images.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »

I'm not impressed.

Worth remembering that for many people the gesture that moby's abused former partner used is a connotation that the person with the 'bunny ears' is being cuckolded. It is not a sign of respect or even affection. In context, it suggests that the woman in the picture sees the male as not being a real man.

Offline TomT

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2017, 10:02:03 AM »
What do I have to do to convince you that I have taken the comments of ALL of you on board?

For a starter, you could discontinue making comments such as "as long as I have a hole in my arse..."

FYI, many FSU women would interpret that as an admission that you are an arsehole.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2017, 12:48:40 PM »

Whilst it’s nice that both of you don’t completely hate each other’s guts, I can’t say I’m convinced about her respect for you.

Wow, did a fellow Brit actually write this? Please check the definition of "being ironic" and the pose in the photo ..

You strike me as a particularly difficult person to be around and if 10% of the things I know about you are true, then it’s not a pretty picture.

Hmm, you know Rosco - and please do not take this ( too ) personally - but:

1/ You aren't my type

2/ What you 'know' about me...  :chuckle:

Your ex wife has obviously moved on and doesn’t need to put up with you or your shit any longer. She also doesn’t have the emotional baggage or feel weighed down by the burden of your relationship.

Yup - you really don't HAVE a clue.....  But your 'analysis' has been amusing reading ...in the meantime, I'm sure TomT's glad of the 'diversion' ?.... 

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2017, 12:54:34 PM »

I'm not impressed.

Edit to add: ... by any of the images.

'Impressing' you wasn't my intention - just a simple demonstration as to your somewhat warped version of the reality

So, was ALL this just avoid answering - truthfully - when you were last in the FSU - given you 'observations' pointing out it's been a LONG time ...?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: the andrewfi "school of relationship studies"
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2017, 08:49:30 AM »
Good points Rosco and, iirc, does the inestimable moby not still have some hold over her life? Did the divorce yet happen?

You gossip, you .. 'No hold', whatsoever.... IF you knew ANYTHING about UK divorce law - either party could legally end the marriage - after five years separation - that time has now passed, Step-son has got UK citizenship, his degree and a good job....

Given what we know of moby and his 'relationship' with his abused former wife

'Abused'?!  How many times do you feel the need to put your 'estimation'  of our lives in print and make an ass of yourself !  We got over our difficulties - leaving the likes of you to 'hypothesise'  ...     :chuckle:

it is not hard to imagine reasons why she'd choose to present a sweet smiling face to her tormentor as a means of self protection. One might not agree with the strategy but one can most certainly understand it.

It's extremely hard to imagine what kind of warped mind some contributors might have to arrive at that conclusion - if you do indeed 'understand' and subscribe to the andrewfi 'mantra'  :Zzzzsleep:

I'm just trying to think what 'threat' I could possibly have made to get her to come down to the sailing club and help out ....  and, of course the punishment for showing show lack of respect' ....

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
Adios Senora Beloespana!
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »
To Westerners, the expression, "being able to buy and sell someone," is not intended to be taken literally;
Not only the Russkies do not know this expression.

I would think that most non-english native countries (Like Netherlands) people will find this specific quote very offensive.

I certainly would have, before this post by you Tom.

I am from Canada. English is my first language and I also teach it for a living. This is an idiom I have not hear before, and when I saw it, I interpreted it literally and found it offensive, especially considering America’s history with slavery.

Offline Jerash

Adios Senora Beloespana!
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »
To Westerners, the expression, "being able to buy and sell someone," is not intended to be taken literally;

I would think that most non-english native countries (Like Netherlands) people will find this specific quote very offensive.

I am from Canada. English is my first language and I also teach it for a living. This is an idiom I have not hear before, and when I saw it, I interpreted it literally and found it offensive, especially considering America’s history with slavery.

I should add, I’ve seen from some further comments that you are probably British. I’m using the mobile app, which doesn’t show nationality. When I saw the expression about buying and selling people, I immediately thought about slavery. I realize now there could be a different historical context where this is coming from, so sorry for any unnecessary misunderstanding. Just goes to show how easily local idiom can steer your listener down the wrong path and highlights the importance of choosing our words carefully when dealing with other cultures))

Offline Jerash

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2017, 01:06:50 PM »

I'm not impressed.

Worth remembering that for many people the gesture that moby's abused former partner used is a connotation that the person with the 'bunny ears' is being cuckolded. It is not a sign of respect or even affection. In context, it suggests that the woman in the picture sees the male as not being a real man.

I don't know all the old history on Moby and his ex, but I suspect it may not be quite as you frame it, and I'd recommend being extremely cautious before casually throwing around the accusation of spousal abuse, as it is an incredibly serious accusation to be making.

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2017, 01:08:44 PM »

Jerash, I too was confounded by the phrase's use as any sort of (derogatory) euphemism. The only way I could interpret the meaning is literal (i.e. slavery / human trafficking / arranged marriages [involving payment]). That said, there are plenty of idioms out there that I've never heard before... a verbal minefield! 
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »
Read moby's old posts and others that were contemporaneous and get back to us.

My command of my native language and thus choice of words is fit for purpose.

Offline TomT

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »

It's an archaic expression that was used by the American upper classes to denote their superiority. Over time, the meaning faded and the usage declined. I doubt that it was often used in the context of slavery because, prior to emancipation, superiority and ownership were a given.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2017, 07:29:28 PM »
Well this serves me a great lesson to learn: read the whole thread before commenting... I mistakenly believed we were discussing member htrj's comment towards member Volshe. No offense was meant on my part, least of all toward you senior members (obviously I'm hoping that you'll all assist me in my search).

Of course I can't help the fact that I haven't heard the expression before, but I don't doubt that somewhere, at some time it was used as an idiom. I'll have to ask my parents if they've ever heard the phrase. I would agree with anyone who suggests that it's best not used in conversation with those who might not understand.     
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline TomT

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2017, 10:11:36 PM »
(obviously I'm hoping that you'll all assist me in my search).

Most members will help whether you agree with them or not.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2017, 11:58:28 PM »

Agreeing / disagreeing is one matter, but I never aim to offend (and sometimes it's hard for me to determine the line).

Offline htrj

• Spouses Country: United Kingdom
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2017, 11:09:35 AM »

Agreeing / disagreeing is one matter, but I never aim to offend (and sometimes it's hard for me to determine the line).

You're not the only one................

Offline Jerash

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2018, 10:33:08 AM »
"not intended to be taken literally" that's good, much better.

This, among other phrases (boil your head, kiss my ars*, your mothers a whatever) aren't intended to be taken literally. However, I agree with you, when travelling, one should choose their words carefully.

I would avoid any 'folklore' or 'sayings' when traveling abroad. Especially and most importantly ones that can have a double meaning that is negative (kiss my .... , etc.) and anything involving genitals or something.

And don't get over confident with your Russian like I did - I forget exactly what I said but I meant to say 'Come with me - poshli co mnoi' but got my wires crossed in my head and for some reason said something like 'poshli na khouy' - ie more or less 'fcuk off'....

And that was in the cinema after watching a Harry 'Garry' Potter.....

I once said "Muzhna Minyet" instead of "Muzhna minoot" and some really good stuff happened, so it's not all bad.  :ROFL:

B/B

I've spent about 45 minutes searching for this post, because I need to give credit where credit is due.  Later in the evening on the day I originally read this I was asked, "Shto tee hochyesh?"  The situation was contextually appropriate, and I reached reached and reached back into the furthest recesses of my brain to remember this post and pulled out the word "minyet?".  She was impressed and I wasn't disappointed.  ;D So, Bolshoye Spasiba, B/B!!!!