The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Adios Senora Beloespana!  (Read 7243 times)

Offline htrj

• Spouses Country: United Kingdom
  • Trips: None Yet
Re: Adios Senora Beloespana!
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 02:07:29 PM »
If defending oneself against unfounded accusations is considered "bad attitude" then i admit my guilt. "As charged, your honour". :ROFL:

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »
"not intended to be taken literally" that's good, much better.

This, among other phrases (boil your head, kiss my ars*, your mothers a whatever) aren't intended to be taken literally. However, I agree with you, when travelling, one should choose their words carefully.

I would avoid any 'folklore' or 'sayings' when traveling abroad. Especially and most importantly ones that can have a double meaning that is negative (kiss my .... , etc.) and anything involving genitals or something.

And don't get over confident with your Russian like I did - I forget exactly what I said but I meant to say 'Come with me - poshli co mnoi' but got my wires crossed in my head and for some reason said something like 'poshli na khouy' - ie more or less 'fcuk off'....

And that was in the cinema after watching a Harry 'Garry' Potter.....

I once said "Muzhna Minyet" instead of "Muzhna minoot" and some really good stuff happened, so it's not all bad.  :ROFL:

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 03:40:11 PM »
If defending oneself against unfounded accusations is considered "bad attitude" then i admit my guilt. "As charged, your honour". :ROFL:

Most men that join this board or similar they join because they want to learn or know more about international dating, especially with FSU women. As you must realise there are a lot of married men here who have been there, down the same road, and got the T-shirt  and of course they are willing to help any newcomer to succeed in their adventure. TomT is one of these men and sofar he has given you good advise but you did not read carefully his post and missed some.

Any foreign woman whose English is not her mother tongue and has not lived in this country for many years and is not a car saleman may naturally misinterpreter your comments wrongly and take offence. While communicating with an FSU woman just use simple plain language to avoid these problems of misunderstanding, if you are serious about it.

tiphat

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline htrj

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 05:41:25 PM »
Alright Wiz, I'll take the gloves off for a minute.

None of what has been said has gone over my head but i'll argue with TomT about this for as long as I have a hole in my ar**.... For as long as necessary......does that show it hasn't gone over my head?

Mr Strange says it all, "another thread gone of the top with nonsense". No prizes for suggesting another thread that did that.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
Wiz,

This thread is not without value; it's a case study in how much can be learned by hearing only one side of a story. I understand why the relationship failed and it had nothing to do with Alina's craziness or lack of grey matter.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 11:09:57 PM »
1.) Alright Wiz, I'll take the gloves off for a minute.

2.) None of what has been said has gone over my head but i'll argue with TomT about this for as long as I have a hole in my ar**.... For as long as necessary......does that show it hasn't gone over my head?

3.) Mr Strange says it all, "another thread gone of the top with nonsense". No prizes for suggesting another thread that did that.

1. Why do you have to ware gloves? Does it help you to make friends or feel good?

2. May I advise you that TomT has a lot of experience in this arena and he knows how to dance much better than you! Why not listen to his comments and learn on the way?

3. You only lately started in this trip and you just had a short experience and you got the bug ......and I have a friend married to a Bellarussian woman, living 500 metres from my house. She is a friend of our family, see her often and I can ask anything. I was the one who helped them with all legalities etc.

but.... lately I have been busy with my PC problem .....which now is back up and running well and fast .. but not fully recovered or have put in order my files of 20 years etc. ... so not much time spent around here.

On the other hand, you can take advantage of the experiences of the members and be very successful. Been cocky doesn't help you .......

Have you visited Free Russian Personal dating site?

Plenty of good girls there .... but you need to know how to avoid scammers...... I do.......
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline htrj

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 01:41:00 AM »
No doubt we have all formed strong opinions of each other, rightly or wrongly, but nothing has gone over my head. I simply disagree with what some people have contributed.

Perhaps the value of this thread is that we can all learn something about how we interpret situations and each other.

Offline htrj

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 03:46:02 AM »
To Westerners, the expression, "being able to buy and sell someone," is not intended to be taken literally; it just implies that you are wealthier, more powerful or cooler than the referenced person. We don't take the cliche very seriously, so it is unlikely to cause any social issues... in the West. Some people from the FSU, especially those who have been less exposed to English idioms, are likely to consider it the height of arrogance and this would create a far more negative impression than you might expect. Purge it from your active vocabulary so that it doesn't slip out when you are around Russian-speaking people.

Interesting... ifrom where I come from the expression means to be able to talk one's way into superior situations - being crafty, perhaps ...

Example: my youngest daughter could 'buy and sell' her Dad from no age..

Just wondered if we are local to each other. I'm close to Gloucestershire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire borders.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 03:53:16 AM »
Many people from this part of the world seem to be racist and, if you seek somebody who gives no signs of being racist by whatever your standards are and you also seek a woman whose native language is Russian (Or Finnish, or Czech, or Hungarian, or Polish, or, or , or...) then you will be looking for a long time.

Understand that history is not the same everywhere, that different factors are in play and that is, if you are as you say you are, British, then you have grown up in an environment that is very different to any of the places that I have mentioned. If you are USAian then remember that the slave history and recent legalised and institutional racism was not a thing as it was in your country.

Of course though, there are people who have learned, often from Anglo cultural import, some truly offensive attitudes. The trick is to discern between the types but that, without language skills, can be a little hard.

On the other hand, anyone who thinks that using the phrase 'I could buy and sell you' is not highly offensive to anyone hearing it is, IMHO unlikely to have the sensitivity to sort out the finer points of cultural differences. Perhaps some cultural sensitivity training before buying any tickets or getting visas might not be a bad idea?

Here's the thing, if you want to be offensive then use phrases such as the one you used but don't be dishonest afterward about it. Own your use, understand that words are a weapon and can be used as such; but, weaponising words requires honesty and the underlying strength that honesty depends upon.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2017, 07:21:52 AM »

Can't agree... When were you last in the FSU ...  I see plenty of women with kids in their thirties forties and even fifties who know what they want from life ( having lived well ) and moving abroad with a western guy isn't one of them ...   

You should give advice about how to use people, how to destroy relationships with FSU women and how to attack their character after they have the good sense to reject you.

I'll take that as, "I wish to avoid your point, Moby"...

I believe we both scored a fail re marriage to a FSU lady..

As usual you made up what happened, too....  My beloved ex respects me, totally...

https://flic.kr/p/CXscCY

You may have been re reading posts from 'respected sources'  during you time a-sulking at the election of 'Tramp'..?

Now, you might like to try addressing the question..as you clearly need to visit the FSU to refresh your 'knowledge'..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline htrj

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »
What do I have to do to convince you that I have taken the comments of ALL of you on board?

What I see as the sticking point between myself and Team TomT is that we are arguing about separate issues. Team TomT want to focus on what, particularly in this environment was a poor choice of words used in the type of unnecessary banter that has been the demise of many a new member here. My issue was simply to ask how it determines that I have a bad attitude towards women. At the time it did not cross my mind but now, of course, I see why that phrase is all the more offensive here and I shall have to concede that I have shown my ignorance..... for which I apologise.

As for Alina, I never said she was crazy, she isnt. Shes very sweet and I am upset that its come to end. Where I have issues with her racism is when a guy twice the size of me is glaring at me because the woman with me is obviously squirming at the sight of his mixed race children I start to worry about what situations we could find ourselves in in future. Is that unreasonable or something I should come to expect from this culture? 

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 07:53:31 AM »

This, among other phrases (boil your head, kiss my ars*, your mothers a whatever) aren't intended to be taken literally. However, I agree with you, when travelling, one should choose their words carefully.

I would avoid any 'folklore' or 'sayings' when traveling abroad. Especially and most importantly ones that can have a double meaning that is negative (kiss my .... , etc.) and anything involving genitals or something.

And don't get over confident with your Russian like I did - I forget exactly what I said but I meant to say 'Come with me - poshli co mnoi' but got my wires crossed in my head and for some reason said something like 'poshli na khouy' - ie more or less 'fcuk off'....

I once said "Muzhna Minyet" instead of "Muzhna minoot" and some really good stuff happened, so it's not all bad.  :ROFL:

B/B

Well played sir  :laugh:

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 09:14:08 AM »

B/B

Enquiring minds must know! Please explain.  :nod:

Offline TomT

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 09:57:32 AM »
Again another thread gone of the top with nonsense!

Steve has a web site he recommends here on this forum and it should be 100% real and authentic girls.

The problem is not a shortage of "100% real and authentic girls." It's an abundance of men who have underlying issues that result in persistent failure. Dealing with issues that will likely lead to failure is far from nonsense.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

For the most part, people are resistant to advice, however. The usual pattern is that they come here, tell us how superior that they are, fail miserably (with real and authentic girls) then disappear. After seeing this play out thousands of times, one begins to question the value of giving men advice that they can use to disguise their issues and consider how unfair that it is to the girls*. Nonetheless, we persist. The hope is that a few nominally normal men who read this forum can benefit from the information.

* Some of us have been on the other side of the mirror; we have participated in a forum where FSU women discuss their experiences with foreign men... and it wasn't pretty.

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »

B/B

The latter means "Can I have a minute?" and the former means "Can I have a blowjob?"

B/B
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2017, 12:21:28 PM »
Many people from this part of the world seem to be racist...

Translation: They don't have the "The West is EVILZ!!!  But....WHITE PEOPLE!!!" retarded mind virus that afflicts so many liberals and leftoids in the West.

B/B

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »

The latter means "Can I have a minute?" and the former means "Can I have a blowjob?"

B/B

Everyone is entitled to a happy ending.

Long ago before I had a full grasp of the nuances of the Dutch language I described a painting in Dutch as an Elderly Woman Sewing, which according to the translation dictionary was grammatically correct. Even today Google does not note the actual meaning in Dutch.

The auction was a charity event and the catalog only went through one quick proof. But because of that blunder the auctioneer was able to make the event into a resounding success.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2017, 01:16:36 PM »

Oh-no, how embarrassing!

And therein lies my biggest fear of the foreign language barrier: even when you hold a basic understanding of any given language, there are still plenty of opportunities for minute (but egregious) errors in communication.

As an example of this issue in the converse, I was recently reviewing a learn-to-speak Russian type webpage, authored by an ostensibly well-intentioned native Russian speaker. In English, he had endeavored to explain the advantage of utilizing index (flash) cards to improve rote vocabulary. In describing his suggestions, he mentioned distributing the vocabulary cards about your dwelling: at the kitchen table, on the bedroom nightstand and 'in the toilet!' "No," I thought, "that's where you put your cards for a swift and sanitary disposal upon the discouraging realization that there's no chance in hell you're going to learn the Russian language!"  :laugh:

Quite the jester of myself I'd create in a foreign tongue! These concerns aside, I'm afraid I've got to try.   
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline htrj

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2017, 01:36:40 PM »
On a very hot day in the Canaries I once said to an apparently innocent little old lady in a supermarket queue "estoy muy calor" which literally means "I am very hot". Colloquially, however, it means something quite different. I started to feel quite uncomfortable as she kept raising one eyebrow and puckering her wrinkled lips at me. Later I found out that I had in fact just declared to her that, I was very horny........

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »
On a very hot day in the Canaries I once said to an apparently innocent little old lady in a supermarket queue "estoy muy calor" which literally means "I am very hot". Colloquially, however, it means something quite different. I started to feel quite uncomfortable as she kept raising one eyebrow and puckering her wrinkled lips at me. Later I found out that I had in fact just declared to her that, I was very horny........

:ROFL: This thread is getting better and better!
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2017, 02:20:35 PM »

Don’t ever say “I am warm” in German. Ste can probably tell you what it means.  :laugh:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2017, 12:46:42 AM »

B/B

Everyone is entitled to a happy ending.

Long ago before I had a full grasp of the nuances of the Dutch language I described a painting in Dutch as an Elderly Woman Sewing, which according to the translation dictionary was grammatically correct. Even today Google does not note the actual meaning in Dutch.

The auction was a charity event and the catalog only went through one quick proof. But because of that blunder the auctioneer was able to make the event into a resounding success.
Ah that one is of the same category of the literal translation in a very old profession by some Dutch baroness to some (English) news reporter:

Reporter: What do you do for a living?
Baroness: I  :censored:  horses.

(Was supposed to be: I breed horses).
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2017, 02:45:44 AM »

B/B

B/B

You rude yanks again. I interpreted it as "may I" instead of "can I".... ;D

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2017, 03:05:09 AM »
In Rush Hour, Jackie Chan says to the bartender 'What's up my nigga.'

In fact Rush Hour is filled with these sort of 'misunderstandings'.

NB: Since we have moved far away from the topic perhaps the last 1.5 pages are a stand alone thread?

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2017, 04:59:39 AM »

Can't agree... When were you last in the FSU ...  I see plenty of women with kids in their thirties forties and even fifties who know what they want from life ( having lived well ) and moving abroad with a western guy isn't one of them ...   

You should give advice about how to use people, how to destroy relationships with FSU women and how to attack their character after they have the good sense to reject you.

I'll take that as, "I wish to avoid your point, Moby"...

I believe we both scored a fail re marriage to a FSU lady..

As usual you made up what happened, too....  My beloved ex respects me, totally...

https://flic.kr/p/CXscCY

You may have been re reading posts from 'respected sources'  during you time a-sulking at the election of 'Tramp'..?

Now, you might like to try addressing the question..as you clearly need to visit the FSU to refresh your 'knowledge'..

Whilst it’s nice that both of you don’t completely hate each other’s guts, I can’t say I’m convinced about her respect for you.

Of course I’m only commenting and don’t know all the particulars, I do have experience with ex girlfriends and bad break ups. I’ve met some of them since and of course the meetings have been pleasant, what’s in the past and all that.

You strike me as a particularly difficult person to be around and if 10% of the things I know about you are true, then it’s not a pretty picture. Your ex wife has obviously moved on and doesn’t need to put up with you or your shit any longer. She also doesn’t have the emotional baggage or feel weighed down by the burden of your relationship.

Therefore she can be civil towards you now you have no influence over her but don’t confuse this with respect and admiration.

Perhaps you need to be more honest with yourself, once again?

Registration