The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia banned from winter Olympics.  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Russia banned from winter Olympics.
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
Those athletes that are proven clean can participate under a neutral flag.
Wonder how much of this is related to next year's election in Russia, and attempts to curb Putin's popularity?

Russian doping: IOC bans Russia from 2018 Winter Olympics

http://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/42242007
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Texan77

Re: Russia banned from winter Olympics.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 06:18:52 PM »
Wonder how much of this is related to next year's election in Russia, and attempts to curb Putin's popularity?

This is extremely unlikely to have any effect on the Russian elections. There is a one hundre3d per cent chance Putin will get reelected with nearly a hundred per cent of the vote. There is no body else even running and if there were they would not be aloud to campaign or to present arguments as to why Putin's policies are bad for Russia.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »

This is extremely unlikely to have any effect on the Russian elections. There is a one hundre3d per cent chance Putin will get reelected with nearly a hundred per cent of the vote. There is no body else even running and if there were they would not be aloud to campaign or to present arguments as to why Putin's policies are bad for Russia.

You are very wrong in your assumptions.

Take a look at this article and you will realise that there are other candidates, already running but Putin has not announced anything yet!
https://www.ft.com/content/d87dc102-d464-11e7-a303-9060cb1e5f44?emailId=5a23f25abaa1d6000451a43e

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:02:50 AM »

You would think after the debacle of Rio that some one in Moscow would clean up the shit and start with a clean slate that has a low to zero tolerance to performance enhancing drugs.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Wiz

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:21:20 AM »

You would think after the debacle of Rio that some one in Moscow would clean up the shit and start with a clean slate that has a low to zero tolerance to performance enhancing drugs.

What are you talking about?

The whole story about Russian doping is nothing more than a political decision and fake news by the US. Where are the hard evidence?

All the videos I have watched and the comments are not conclusive. They only rely in the comments that a Russian has made and is pretty obvious that he is been bribed... heavily!

Prove your comments.  :smokin:

READ ON:

http://russia-insider.com/en/ill-destroy-all-russian-olympic-sports-next-5-years-shocking-statements-runaway-wada-informant?ct=t(Russia_Insider_Daily_Headlines11_21_2014)&mc_cid=d38c6dfc19&mc_eid=da9ae1910f
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:37:18 AM »
Wiz is right. Even the author of the original report, based, as it was, on 'information' from the Russian guy, walked it back before the last Olympics.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:12:13 AM »
Not to worry, I am sure that if Ru-atlethes are competing under a 'blank' flag, in their heart they will still be Russian and their heart will hear the Russian anthem if they win.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
Wiz is right. Even the author of the original report, based, as it was, on 'information' from the Russian guy, walked it back before the last Olympics.

You are not seeing the proof that was presented and independently confirmed. This has been subsequently confirmed at numerous events. Suggest you look at the IOC and see which athletes are banned and the reasons. Both for Rio and now for PyeongChang the evidence is black and white. If you need to spin it for political appeal feel free to do so.

Using performance enhancing drugs has nothing to do with politics and everything about a level playing field between competitors. You use the drugs and your caught you are banned. It is fairly simple.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 10:31:50 AM »

You are very wrong in your assumptions.

Take a look at this article and you will realise that there are other candidates, already running but Putin has not announced anything yet!
https://www.ft.com/content/d87dc102-d464-11e7-a303-9060cb1e5f44?emailId=5a23f25abaa1d6000451a43e

Putin announced today his intentions to run for president.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 04:44:17 PM »

You are not seeing the proof that was presented and independently confirmed. This has been subsequently confirmed at numerous events.

Do you mean, when 95 of 96 Russian athletes under investigation were cleared? https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/sports/olympics/russian-doping-wada.html

Suggest you look at the IOC and see which athletes are banned and the reasons. Both for Rio and now for PyeongChang the evidence is black and white. If you need to spin it for political appeal feel free to do so.

Using performance enhancing drugs has nothing to do with politics and everything about a level playing field between competitors. You use the drugs and your caught you are banned. It is fairly simple.

If only it were so simple.  Seems only Russians get subjected to group punishment.  Somehow, when it was the Americans, things were done differently.  Athletes didn't get banned, didn't lose their medals, and no massive smear campaign... https://www.rt.com/op-edge/412124-russia-olympics-ban-cold-war/

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »

You must live in Russia or have been visiting here a lot lately as you are clearly very plugged in and knowledgeable!!! :'(

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 08:00:11 PM »

The whole story about Russian doping is nothing more than a political decision and fake news by the US. Where are the hard evidence?

Wiz - and anyone not paying attention- The matter was investigated by TWO IOC committees - FACTS found - individual athletes banned

I know non-Winter Russian athletes from the sailing circle - personally - and realise how hard athletes from all countries train to get to the Olympics - not to be allowed to compete - because of the actions of others would be unfair.

The decision to allow those athletes from Russia who have never failed or avoided truly independent tests is the fairest compromise

As ever, it would be just great if our 'so called experts' spoke to folks from sporting circles - rather than sycophants...

Me? I'll be pleased to see any Russian winning on merit and hopefully there'll be many

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Wiz

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 04:29:26 AM »
Moby

In many sports, people train from young age and It becomes the essence of their life, for many years with the chance to participate in the Olympics, which can be unique.

I find the decision for the cleared Russian Athletes to be allowed to take part under a neutral flag (the Olympic Flag)…..abhorrent and it is possible that some of them may win, so what it would happen?

Try to imagine those athletes winning the gold but the Olympic committee refuses to play their nation's anthem?

What would be the point for those Russians to participate if they are not recognized as Russians?

As you know the Olympic game were bourn in Ancient Greece and historically there was a custom/convention that when they were taking place, any wars and other “unfriendly actions” used to stop for that period. The Yanks have no respect for such conventions or customs. They have no idea of fairness, diplomacy or appropriate behaviour, only know to use their might to kill and destroy other people’s lives and countries.

I expect you read the article that I posted the link to RI, regarding this matter and it’s pretty obvious the political bribing going on against Russia. Two months ago I read a statement by Putin where he predicted the Ban.

Personally, I am fed up with those political machinations and I don’t care about these doping tests neither if the Athletes use them or not. Technology and research for that type of drugs is unstoppable….. so let them just compete and the best  wins.

As about those officials………they are not almost all corrupt!  :nod: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online AvHdB

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 08:23:23 AM »
While my perspective may be influenced by sports are between individual competitors or countries and not countries. In early competitions the national element was never as strong as in recent history. A number of trends and influences brought about this, but the primary one is the commercialization and serious money now involved.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 09:39:17 PM »
Moby

In many sports, people train from young age and It becomes the essence of their life, for many years with the chance to participate in the Olympics, which can be unique.

I find the decision for the cleared Russian Athletes to be allowed to take part under a neutral flag (the Olympic Flag)…..abhorrent and it is possible that some of them may win, so what it would happen?

Try to imagine those athletes winning the gold but the Olympic committee refuses to play their nation's anthem?

Wiz, you don't pay attention... I already suggested what Russian athletes I know would prefer - given the option of not competing at all - you know some, right ? ;)

What would be the point for those Russians to participate if they are not recognized as Russians?

Knowing they were the best, and winning clean - Athletes swap countries to ensure they can compete, Wiz. Ask the S.Korean speed skater who became Russian ;)

As you know the Olympic game were bourn in Ancient Greece and historically there was a custom/convention that when they were taking place, any wars and other “unfriendly actions” used to stop for that period. The Yanks have no respect for such conventions or customs. They have no idea of fairness, diplomacy or appropriate behaviour, only know to use their might to kill and destroy other people’s lives and countries.

Er Hello - WHAT have the Americans got to do with TWO enquiries finding evidence of a campaign to dope? ( 1 x IOC , 1 x WADA ? )

I expect you read the article that I posted the link to RI, regarding this matter and it’s pretty obvious the political bribing going on against Russia. Two months ago I read a statement by Putin where he predicted the Ban.

Well, of course the ban was expected given the evidence and has the article been taking seriously?

Personally, I am fed up with those political machinations and I don’t care about these doping tests neither if the Athletes use them or not. Technology and research for that type of drugs is unstoppable….. so let them just compete and the best  wins.

Yup.. you CLEARLY haven't talked to an athlete ..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 07:03:08 PM »
"the greatest treachery against clean athletes in Olympic history."

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/20/649941450/world-sports-agency-reinstates-russia-after-doping-scandal

Communist Party candidate Andrei Ishchenko, 37, seemed poised to become the next governor of Primorsky Krai until the results suddenly changed overnight allowing his Kremlin-backed rival, Andrei Tarasenko, to claim victory.

Russians trying to copy the "Dewey defeats Truman" incident?    :ROFL:  So no such thing as vote rigging?   (:)

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/europe/top-stories/russian-far-east-vote-result-cancelled-after-protests/ar-BBNAIYz
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd