The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Working Holiday  (Read 3440 times)

Offline allen_za

• Trips: 1-5
Working Holiday
« on: December 05, 2017, 12:17:44 AM »
I'm considering travelling to Russia on a "working" holiday.

There are advertisements on work away sites for individuals or families looking for assistance with the English language in exchange for food and lodging. Also a few opportunities to work on eco villages a bit further out from the cities.

My thinking is, to perhaps do this for a week or two, either in or close to Moscow, in order to:

1. Go native.
2. Cheap accommodation for some English lessons.
3. Meet locals outside the dating scene.
4. Arrange 1st meetings for later during the trip.
5. See Russia from a different perpective.

The chances are slim that I will find a bride on the first attempt into Russia.

Has anyone traveled like this? Is it something to consider? Any tips or pointers? Or anyting to look out for?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Working Holiday
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 02:54:13 AM »
It'd be pretty hard to portray oneself as a viable marriage prospect while living as a member of the class of people easily identified as the travelling poor.

One might get a shag, if reasonably attractive, as a bit of foreign strange. Curiosity can be a powerful aphrodisiac for young women.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 04:05:54 AM »
Google ‘bomzh’!

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 05:02:18 AM »
Google ‘bomzh’!

That's also when you have no phone credit but you get an emergency text!

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 05:03:28 AM »

There are advertisements on work away sites for individuals or families looking for assistance with the English language in exchange for food and lodging. Also a few opportunities to work on eco villages a bit further out from the cities.

My thinking is, to perhaps do this for a week or two, either in or close to Moscow, in order to:

1. Go native.

Has anyone traveled like this? Is it something to consider? Any tips or pointers? Or anyting to look out for?

Where about in SA are you from? I spent 3 weeks in Western Cape last November and absolutely loved it. What an amazing part of the world  :thumbsup:

Offline allen_za

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 07:31:14 AM »
Google ‘bomzh’!

:laugh: point taken! In SA, its normal for foreigners to travel on working holidays to experience the culture first hand. I haven't thought about it from a Russians point of view.... i must be supper greedy or f-ing broke....

Offline allen_za

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 07:36:35 AM »
It'd be pretty hard to portray oneself as a viable marriage prospect while living as a member of the class of people easily identified as the travelling poor.

One might get a shag, if reasonably attractive, as a bit of foreign strange. Curiosity can be a powerful aphrodisiac for young women.

This is rather more to curb my curiosity of the country and not spend too much on the first exposure into Russia and then rent out an apartment in the city to arrange a more suitable venue to try and sell myself as a gentlemen.

Offline allen_za

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 07:42:41 AM »
Where about in SA are you from? I spent 3 weeks in Western Cape last November and absolutely loved it. What an amazing part of the world  :thumbsup:

I grew up in Johannesburg, but live in a small farming town now named "De Rust", still part of the Western Cape about an hour inland from George.

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »

I grew up in Johannesburg, but live in a small farming town now named "De Rust", still part of the Western Cape about an hour inland from George.

Curious why would you want to disturb the peace and quiet of home for a Russian female?

You might have other skills that you can share in Russia assuming you can afford taking several weeks off from your 'gainful employment'. The biggest challenge will be the language gap. There are a couple members Steve and the Gypsy who can clue you what you can and can not do from a 'work' standpoint in Russia.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 03:42:20 PM »

1. Go native.

Whilst in agreement with the comments above, it's worth doing just for the experience and exposure to the culture IMO.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 03:51:21 PM »

My wife and I drove through there. We hired a merc and headed out east avoiding much of the garden route on the way there. The Klein Karoo and out past Oudtshoorn where the ostrich farm was.

Loved it.

Offline allen_za

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 04:23:49 AM »

My wife and I drove through there. We hired a merc and headed out east avoiding much of the garden route on the way there. The Klein Karoo and out past Oudtshoorn where the ostrich farm was.

Loved it.

Good to know I'm not the only one that loves that part of the world!

Cheers

Offline allen_za

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 04:31:07 AM »

Curious why would you want to disturb the peace and quiet of home for a Russian female?

You might have other skills that you can share in Russia assuming you can afford taking several weeks off from your 'gainful employment'. The biggest challenge will be the language gap. There are a couple members Steve and the Gypsy who can clue you what you can and can not do from a 'work' standpoint in Russia.

In my view, most of the town folk still carry the old traditional values. The only problem is that most of them are old enough to be my grandparents! Not a lot of beautiful single ladies around and the ones that are have been around the block a few times.....

I would like to add a bit of spice to this cozy town!

Offline Poldark

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 09:18:42 AM »
Not a lot of beautiful single ladies around and the ones that are have been around the block a few times.....
Hate to break it to you but you'll find the same in Moscow, London, NYC, Joburg, Melbs etc. it's the same everywhere.

Registration