The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Slobodan Praljak Commits Suicide  (Read 193 times)

Online Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: None Yet
Slobodan Praljak Commits Suicide
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:46:41 AM »
Wasn't expecting that... probably just as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/29/europe/slobodan-praljak-hague-sentencing/index.html
"Ninety-Nine Decision Street where ninety-nine ministers meet to worry worry, super-scurry call the troops out in a hurry. This is what we've waited for, this is it boys, this is war. The president is on the line as ninety-nine red balloons go by." ~ Nena

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Slobodan Praljak Commits Suicide
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/29/europe/slobodan-praljak-hague-sentencing/index.html
The Netherlands has definately proven itself not-worthy of hosting an international criminal court with such a thing. Hopefully they will learn and do better in the future.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »

The Netherlands has definately proven itself not-worthy of hosting an international criminal court with such a thing. Hopefully they will learn and do better in the future.

Yes, by the looks of the video, security appears to be lacking in the casual environment. Many say that there exists a fine line between justice and revenge, but I think that seeing a person sentenced and then placed in prison must be an important part of the "process" for loved ones / friends still reeling from such atrocities. When a person side-steps their punishment via suicide, it denies families that healing closure (especially when delivering such a sentiment [as claiming innocence] directly prior to dying).

I suppose my ambivalence is derived from the notion that he most likely would've died in prison anyway, but it would have been nice to see him take his punishment like a man.
"Ninety-Nine Decision Street where ninety-nine ministers meet to worry worry, super-scurry call the troops out in a hurry. This is what we've waited for, this is it boys, this is war. The president is on the line as ninety-nine red balloons go by." ~ Nena

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 01:43:29 PM »
What a silly thing to say: take his punishment like a man.

He did not accept trial or the authority of the court and repudiated both in the strongest terms possible. In the context you mistakenly used, he could only 'take his punishment like a man' by accepting guilt and, as far as he and many other of his countrymen are concerned there was no guilt to be accepted.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »

He did not accept trial or the authority of the court and repudiated both in the strongest terms possible. In the context you mistakenly used, he could only 'take his punishment like a man' by accepting guilt and, as far as he and many other of his countrymen are concerned there was no guilt to be accepted.

Well if you think that's silly, you'll certainly find this sillier: he lost in the game of life and he'd rather tip over the chess board than admit defeat.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 05:02:22 PM »
This reminded me of what Hermann Göring did after he was given the death sentence.

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 07:35:28 PM »

Well if you think that's silly, you'll certainly find this sillier: he lost in the game of life and he'd rather tip over the chess board than admit defeat.

I want Bush Jr. to travel to Europe and be arrested for war crimes. Would that cocky little turd take his punishment like a man?

Online Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 07:54:04 PM »
I want Bush Jr. to travel to Europe and be arrested for war crimes. Would that cocky little turd take his punishment like a man?

Considering his reading comprehension skills, I'd be surprised if he could even travel to Europe at all.  :laugh: