The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: What do you do to stay busy?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
What do you do to stay busy?
« on: November 18, 2017, 07:55:21 PM »
What do you do with your free time?

I have a few things going on, but I usually have 50% of my evenings with nothing to do. I have a FSU love interest so I'm not looking for women.

I have a daytime hobby (I can spend lots of time on it, but I have to dial it back because it is hard on my physically), I work full time, I'm going to school to study for a second career, I see my daughter one weekend per month, I have 3 friends that I see 1-2 times per month, but I still feel like I have way too much free time.

I don't really feel like I'm part of a community. I used to go to church but I don't do that anymore. I'm not a sports fan. I should go visit my elderly parents more often.

It  sounds pathetic but I would like to be with people more often than I am.

If you are a single guy, what do you do with your free time? Do you feel like you have community? Is your social life what you want it to be?

I thank you for honest answers.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Online Texan77

• Trips: 20+
Re: What do you do to stay busy?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 08:11:01 PM »
Start a business. That will be the last free time you will have. That is what I did. You might wish for the days that you are having now with free time. When I was your age I did hobbies like sailing, diving and fishing. You might think of going to a sailing club and become crew on a small racing catamaran. If you like it get your own.  A number of years ago I broke up with my last USA girlfriend I took up photography. There is the professional photographers of America organization that had local guilds that will help you learn and you can put you picture in competition.  It take up a lot of time to get good.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 11:35:53 PM »
Go fly a kite... literally! ;D I live and breathe to fly kites! It's a simple, inexpensive hobby that can be enjoyed by everyone and it gets you out there for sure (at the beach, on a frozen lake, etc.).

Another idea is to volunteer in your community. I occasionally take my pups for visitation at our local convalescent home or pop into the (admittedly dying) public library to help in cleaning up / re-shelving books. You meet many wonderful people and make great connections when you give of yourself.

Just my thoughts...
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline justadude

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 07:24:28 PM »
Those are all great ideas!

Also, LOTD, I like your Nena quote. Did you see "Atomic Blonde"? They featured that song in a pretty gruesome scene. Also, there was a red balloon at the Kremlin in one of the Mission Impossible movies. It seemed like an obvious tribute to 99 Luft Balloons.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 07:37:08 PM »

Also, LOTD, I like your Nena quote. Did you see "Atomic Blonde"? They featured that song in a pretty gruesome scene. Also, there was a red balloon at the Kremlin in one of the Mission Impossible movies. It seemed like an obvious tribute to 99 Luft Balloons.

Atomic Blonde? One of the best movies ever made! Awesome sound track too.

Online Texan77

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 12:13:35 AM »
The flying a kite might be better than you think. My girl's son is all excited about kite boarding since I made it a point I would get him lessons and take him places to do this in the spring.

3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 02:29:12 AM »
I spent a lot of time focusing on my own business when my now wife & I were dating but living apart. Your own business gives you purpose 24/7.

I became a member at a destination spa which also had a gym. They do all kinds of classes and I took up circuits, spin, kettle bells, meta fit, yoga, Pilates etc. It’s great for the mind as you forget the working stress during a session and physically it does wonders. You also form quite a close knit bond with fellow members (mixed group & a great way to meet fit women if your single) who you see several times a week and there would be class night outs every so often.

I was also in my early 30’s and spent time with my friends. A bit of fishing, mountain biking, tennis or out for food was fun. Also a few pints of beer here and there never did anyone any harm!!

Online Texan77

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 08:02:12 AM »
What is it like to sail a small racing catamaran?
Anyway the my girl's son is planning to come to the bay islands Honduras this summer where I have a Nacra available to me. I should have my boat down there by then also. I have not been out of a trapeze for more than a few years so this should be fun.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 10:38:31 AM »
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing ~ absolutely nothing ~ half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

K. Grahame
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »
Your own business gives you purpose 24/7.

This.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »

Thanks JAD. I'm not much of a movie viewer so I've not seen either of those mentioned flicks but I'll keep my eyes peeled the next time I'm flipping through the movie channels.

'99 Luftballons' and '99 Red Balloons' are both favorite songs of mine due to the LTA connection. As I became active again on the forum a couple of months ago these lyrics also seemed appropriate with all the talk about Trump and North Korea. Although I think both songs are wonderful pieces of music, '99 Luftballons' (the original) tells a more powerful story. I'll provide the English translation of the original German lyrics below.

"If you have some time for me then I will sing a song for you about ninety-nine balloons on their way to the horizon. If you are maybe thinking of me then I will sing a song for you about ninety-nine balloons and what can come from such a thing.

Ninety-nine balloons on their way to the horizon. One could take them for UFOs from space, therefore a general sent a flying squadron after them to sound the alarm if it was so. There were present on the horizon only ninety-nine balloons.

Ninety-nine jet fighters, each one a great warrior. They regarded themselves as Captain Kirk, then came a display of fireworks. The neighbors didn't understand and felt they were being provoked so they shot at the horizon, at ninety-nine balloons.

Ninety-nine war ministers with matches and gasoline canisters. They regarded themselves as clever people, already smelling a fat bounty. They called for war and wanted power. Man(!), who would have thought that things would someday go so far because of ninety-nine balloons?

Because of ninety-nine balloons...

ninety-nine balloons. 

Ninety-nine years of war left no room for victors. There are no more war ministers, nor any jet fighters. Today, as I make my rounds, I see the world lying in ruins. I've found a balloon and I think of you as I let it fly away."

"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing ~ absolutely nothing ~ half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

K. Grahame

+1  :travel:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 07:51:53 PM »
Kite surfing ?  I plan to try that next spring in the Black Sea... as I had laboured under the illusion it was a young man's sport ....   

There are some members here - with kids - who I'd have thought would have posted that having them meant there was no need to 'keep busy' ....;)
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline justadude

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »
More really good ideas!

I talked to a guy tonight about doing some volunteer work with the local Police Department youth program. And I have even toyed with the idea of taking on a foster child.

My buddy and I went to play poker with people I didn't know the other night. I lost $27. I doubt I'll go back.

Meanwhile, I keep working on my 74 Super Beetle. I have the front Porsche suspension and brakes done, and I've purchased a 230hp Acura V6 and trans to install, and have begun modifying it for installation. Nevertheless, I'm trying to take it somewhat easy on myself physically. I definitely have a tendency to overdo it. I worked on it all day on Friday, but I only worked on it 3 hrs yesterday and not at all today. I spent the day writing a paper for my studies.

Offline TomT

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »
I do volunteer work at the local YMCA teaching ballroom dancing and spend a few hours daily in their "wellness room."

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 03:50:18 PM »
I do volunteer work at the local YMCA teaching ballroom dancing and spend a few hours daily in their "wellness room."

That's neat Tom; learning to ballroom dance has been on my list for some time now but I haven't 'taken the step' yet.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 04:03:16 PM »
JAD, it sounds like volunteering with the local PD youth program could be a fun opportunity! I know that our police forces are gaining something of a poor reputation on the national level, but man are my local police officers friendly people. In our area they're more keen to help an old lady change a flat than to shoot someone.

I'm really digging your super beetle project. I'm not much of a car enthusiast myself but I will occasionally fall into an auto show to revel with the customizers... great people they always are. Have you ever heard the song 'One Piece at a Time' by Wayne Kemp and Johnny Cash? It's a fun one...

Registration