The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How much does it cost to buy a vacation house in Ukraine?  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
How much does it cost to buy a vacation house in Ukraine?
« on: November 14, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »
I thought the prices in this article were  a bit expensive considering the economy is depressed.

https://www.Kievpost.com/business/much-cost-buy-vacation-house-ukraine.html
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: How much does it cost to buy a vacation house in Ukraine?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:25:30 PM »
I thought the prices in this article were  a bit expensive considering the economy is depressed.

How much should a 'depressed' economy lower the cost of new construction?

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:43:11 PM »

How much should a 'depressed' economy lower the cost of new construction?

That depends on the demand, but if the average Ukrainians income is down, there should be a lower demand. If labor costs are down then the cost of new construction should be down also.
But the real deals would be mainly found in existing homes and flats.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:54:56 PM »
HOW would demand being lower in Ukraine lower the cost of Materials?

HOW would demand be lower when there are 1.8 million IDP's? Internally Displaced Persons - the in vogue term for 'refugees.'

Wages lower? Ukraine is suffering from inflation, and depreciation of the Hryvnia. AND the minimum wage was just increased.

I am trying to understand why you think a market collapse happened in Ukraine?

I can understand a moderate short sellers attitude. But, people still need to pay to live somewhere. AND all the foreigners that drove the prices up 4 or 5x what they should have been are NOT selling 20 cents on the dollar - they want 'THEIR MONEY BACK.'

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 03:48:15 AM »
Lower demand means lower margins which means lower material costs.
Higher unemployment means greater competition for work which means lower wages. Same applies to work carried out by contractors.
Inflation does not mean that wages go up, inflation means that prices go up.
Minimum wage is irrelevant in market sectors where payment is often under the table - construction is well known for being such a sector.

Labour is a significant part of the price of new builds. Given the cost of construction, a small decrease, in percentage terms, for any element can be a large number in real terms.

A piece of real estate can be marketed at whatever price the prospective vendor desires. The value is no more than a prospective buyer is willing to pay. The market price is the eventual price agreed as a result of negotiation. A place that is too highly priced will remain on sale for a long time. Expat properties in almost any economy form only a tiny part of the market but are highly visible to, guess who, expats and foreigners.

Depreciation of the national currency means that in foreign currency terms prices have fallen. Inflation is always in local currency terms as a larger number of local currency units is required to buy foreign currency units. Inflation is a reflection of the price of a currency.

Basically, this is very simple economics and maths, general knowledge level for most people, surely?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 03:56:13 AM »
How much is an apartment in Ukraine? New..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 07:03:10 AM »

Location, Location, Location. . .

But it depends if it is from the builder or unfinished and on the secondary market, meaning purchased for speculation.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:43:33 AM »

But it depends if it is from the builder or unfinished and on the secondary market, meaning purchased for speculation.

Just a 1/2 room apartment in Kiev New , nothing luxurious just a normal nice place in a new block ? I was just wondering that is all..

Online AvHdB

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 07:54:35 AM »

Just a 1/2 room apartment in Kiev New , nothing luxurious just a normal nice place in a new block ? I was just wondering that is all..

A two bedroom apartment in a new build from the builder in a finished building outside of a prime location can be from 60,000 to 100,000 US $. Move to high Perchersk and the prices more than double. There is in Kiev a shortage of housing but it is at a lower (affordable) price class.

Bear in mind these are units that you must finish & furnish, to your desire or standards.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 03:38:52 AM »

A two bedroom apartment in a new build from the builder in a finished building outside of a prime location can be from 60,000 to 100,000 US $. Move to high Perchersk and the prices more than double. There is in Kiev a shortage of housing but it is at a lower (affordable) price class.

Bear in mind these are units that you must finish & furnish, to your desire or standards.

Thats dam expensive!!! We brought 2 studio apartments recently for 1.3 million roubles each only small for the kids..you can buy new builds very inexpensive here a nice 1 room apartment in a high quality new block about 45sq meters you would pay  less than 3 million roubles, with cash you can get a good deal..you can find much cheaper out at the last metro stations. There are new builds here very where , they are building like crazy all over the place, some very very nice places..

There are many really nice places in green areas but pretty expensive..

http://privilege-spb.ru

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 03:41:47 PM »
Jeez, Sochi sounds more expensive than Piter...

We just bought a 25sq metre studio place - 1 year old - for 1.6mil  about 1km from the sea - but you'd need to take a bus / have a car, as it is high up on a hill

Being near the sea - the prices of apartments are akin to 'silly' Moscow prices ..  but still much better than UK prices and offer better rental returns

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline iceman_530

• Spouses Country: Uzbekistan
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 01:21:20 AM »
Ive always wondered about a spot in Lvov.  Not even as investment property (itd be great if it ever became that), but a vacation home.  I love that little city and it puts out a great European vibe, and of course everything is super cheap right now.  If theres something to be reasonably had for 40-80k, why not? 

But yeah Sochi also gets me interested........as does the a fishing shack in the RFE (kamchatka if really going off the grid!)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 01:47:28 AM »
Sochi ain't cheap from a Russian price perspective - but you could buy a Dacha for c.15-2oK ( USD) 4 miles up a river valley from the town centre with great forest views.... trouble is - you'd need a 4WD or  motor-bike (with spikes in the tyres, in winter ) to get there..

Bears and Jackals for company

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online AvHdB

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 02:30:57 AM »
I know of two people who bought properties in L'viv. One was a 1890 apartment downtown one bedroom 4th floor (no elevator) in a very good location for some $70,000 US. The other bought an entire house a 15 minute walk to the Opera for $150,000. It also is older with a mansard roof but needs a complete interior rehab. Both were purchased nearly three years ago.

I sort of doubt the prices have changed that much in the last three years.

As I see it L'viv has an active international airport/rail station and always was a historical city going back some 1,000 years. Sochi also has an airport (also brand-new) but it is a terminus or pure vacation/resort city created in the end of the 19th century.