The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Medical care in Russia - third world standards ?  (Read 2561 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Medical care in Russia - third world standards ?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 02:51:47 PM »
If money is not an issue then he can go into residential care, have a private nurse, or a private hospital.

But, of course, money IS an issue.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 03:37:06 PM »
If money is not an issue then he can go into residential care, have a private nurse, or a private hospital.

But, of course, money IS an issue.

Residential care is the least expensive and best choice, IMO.
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Romantic Reg

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 03:16:16 AM »
He does not want to leave Russia, we asked him about this last year. Yes residential care is looking like the best option but not easy to arrange, hopefully will get something sorted within the next week or so.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 03:43:41 AM »
Yes but surely if your living in the UK and so is your wife, she has a good job as you say, you would of taken some kind medical  of cover out for him?

If I lived in the UK with my wife and we had a good income I would of done it years ago especially if he was in his 70's ..

Not very considerate.
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
Yes but surely if your living in the UK and so is your wife, she has a good job as you say, you would of taken some kind medical  of cover out for him?

If I lived in the UK with my wife and we had a good income I would of done it years ago especially if he was in his 70's ..

Not very considerate.

I dont agree. My wifes folks are knocking on a bit now and they have the odd health issue as older folks do. She tips up a few bob now and again as and when if they need something as any of us would do with our parents.

We knew an old lady in Russia who needed long term care. The method seems to be they sign their flat over to the carer (often a relative, neighbour or friend of a friend) and they look after them till they drop off the twig. Of course, one must choose carefully as it can happen that the "carer" does not do much caring and wants to hasten the dropping off the twig or eviction of the old person.

This happened with the old lady we knew in Russia. Thankfully, as Olga was close to the old dear, word duly arrived at the "carer" that Olga's "rich foreign husband" tiphat who had met the old lady in question and was favourably disposed towards her, was happy to cough up for a Moscow lawyer to relieve said "carer" of the flat in question via the courts if she didn't pull her finger out and do the needful ongoing.

Said "carer" then became remarkably more diligent..........
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline Romantic Reg

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 03:56:21 PM »
Why should we have to take out medical cover for him? He is a Russian citizen who has worked all of his life in his country, in his hour of need they should take care of him if he needs it ! I we had of taken out cover he would have received the same poor quality of care, it would have been a total waste of time and money !!
If all he needed was care at home we could sort that easily without signing apartments over to anyone and of course we would help if there is a viable solution to the current situation.
The fact is that he has ended up as he now is because of late diagnosis of his illness, been given the wrong medication for a long period and has not been monitored. From the information my girlfriend has gathered it seems the medical people that have dealt with him have little or no understanding of his condition and how he should have been treated and now they have just abandoned him.

Online Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 04:15:36 PM »
I'm afraid my ignorance of Russian culture is showing, but what does in-home care have to do with signing over an apartment to the caretaker? As payment? That sounds an awful lot like a scam in the making. Hospice care is covered by insurance or out-of-pocket. If no funds are available there is usually some form of assistance program to provide basic care services (here in the US anyway).   
"We'll start over again. Grow ourselves new skin. Get a house in Devon. Drink cider from a lemon." ~ Feeder

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 06:16:11 AM »
I'm afraid my ignorance of Russian culture is showing, but what does in-home care have to do with signing over an apartment to the caretaker? As payment? That sounds an awful lot like a scam in the making.   

If you are an old person with no family, and you need care and you have a flat, why not use it to pay your carer? Not ideal for the carer if you live 20 years and the flat is only worth £15k though.

In that circumstance in the UK the government swipes your house to fund your care. No difference really.

It's quite commonplace in Russia. Its often a family member but in the absence of family it can be anyone you trust.

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 06:23:57 AM »
Why should we have to take out medical cover for him?

Because he is now your relative. If this man is your wife's father, the problem is yours to solve if there are no sons.

He is a Russian citizen who has worked all of his life in his country, in his hour of need they should take care of him if he needs it !

Like our government takes care of all our old people faultlessly?

The Russian health system is far from perfect, but it mostly works in its own way. That way is often bribery. £200-£500 to the right person would get him into a decent government care home probably. As a citizen, your wife knows this.

However, Russia is a country where families tend solve their own problems and look after their old without expecting to lean on the government for everything. He looked after your wife for the first 20+ years of her life; now it's her turn. Which means you.

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 10:13:19 AM »

Because he is now your relative. If this man is your wife's father, the problem is yours to solve if there are no sons.

Absolutely Agree.....

He is a Russian citizen who has worked all of his life in his country, in his hour of need they should take care of him if he needs it !

The Russian health system is far from perfect, but it mostly works in its own way. That way is often bribery. £200-£500 to the right person would get him into a decent government care home probably. As a citizen, your wife knows this.

However, Russia is a country where families tend solve their own problems and look after their old without expecting to lean on the government for everything. He looked after your wife for the first 20+ years of her life; now it's her turn. Which means you.

Sounds very familiar and similar to the Greek family customs.

My own mother died many years before I married my Russian wife. When I married my wife, I deprived her mother from her daughter, the only support and company, naturally we had to take responsibility for her and we have been doing it for the past 10 years.

Thank God babushka, nearly 80 is still able to look after herself..... and prefers to live in my wife's flat but....I expect soon other arrangements has to be made. Luckily there is a divorced sister who will take her into her large house and of course we will continue the financial support until her departure. Sister is a qualified nurse working for many years at the local hospital and know what to do.

In my view for us living here, money is not the biggest problem but personal care is the important one, as you said too.

Well some people have to learn that different countries have different ways to care about their old parents.

;D

Offline Manny

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »
Well some people have to learn that different countries have different ways to care about their old parents.

My wife when she first came here was amazed that families "dump" (her word) older relatives in care homes quite routinely and eschew responsibility. Russians by not doing so are similar to many Asian countries, and as Wiz says in Greece.

I guess this is a bit of a wake up call for Reg. Might be a bigger one if he doesn't step up to the plate with a plan. In the absence of any sons (and if deadbeats they dont count), he will be expected to make decisions of this nature that impact the family.

It's very definitely a cultural thing. As parents get older, you become the decision making man of the family (or consultant at least). It's a responsibility you take on and perform with solemnity. It's a role that also gets you much respect in the family. We have all heard the phrase "the serious man" haven't we?

Online Confederate

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »

Absolutely Agree.....

Sounds very familiar and similar to the Greek family customs.

My own mother died many years before I married my Russian wife. When I married my wife, I deprived her mother from her daughter, the only support and company, naturally we had to take responsibility for her and we have been doing it for the past 10 years.

Thank God babushka, nearly 80 is still able to look after herself..... and prefers to live in my wife's flat but....I expect soon other arrangements has to be made. Luckily there is a divorced sister who will take her into her large house and of course we will continue the financial support until her departure. Sister is a qualified nurse working for many years at the local hospital and know what to do.

In my view for us living here, money is not the biggest problem but personal care is the important one, as you said too.

;D

Great post Wiz, glad to see you back.  tiphat
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Romantic Reg

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 01:24:44 PM »
We are engaged and not married, but really that does not make any difference to me with this issue.

Anyway i believe the UK government looks after old people fairly well, in particular if they are ill, they would never cast you away like garbage that is for sure ! My next door neighbour is 87 years old and last week she had a knee replacement op through the NHS, they brought her home in an ambulance and nurses have been coming twice a day to keep an eye on her. I went in to see her and she told me that they had looked after her as if she was the Queen, and she lives with her daughter and grandson !!

To be honest i do not understand fully how things work in Russia other than that bribery is common place, however my girlfriend has not informed me of any " bribery" plans that could benefit her father, i will ask her about this. I know as from today at last he has gone into care of some kind but i have not spoken with her yet about the details.

I do not think that old people should be " dumped " anywhere, they should stay with their families for sure, but in our case this is just impossible because of the seriousness of his illness. The main issue here is poor Medical care and not general care, if it where only general care we would have sorted it a long time ago ! If you have hospital's their role in society is to treat and care for people who are ill, that is their purpose and responsibility whether you are young or old wherever you are in the world, including Russia. There is no issue of anyone " leaning "on government resources, if they are there they should provide a service end of story !

Hopefully now he will get the care he deserves in the right place, but i honestly would not be surprised if at some point for some reason he gets "dumped" somewhere else !

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 07:32:45 PM »
I do not think that old people should be " dumped " anywhere, they should stay with their families for sure, but in our case this is just impossible because of the seriousness of his illness. The main issue here is poor Medical care and not general care, if it where only general care we would have sorted it a long time ago ! If you have hospital's their role in society is to treat and care for people who are ill, that is their purpose and responsibility whether you are young or old wherever you are in the world, including Russia. There is no issue of anyone " leaning "on government resources, if they are there they should provide a service end of story !
Hopefully now he will get the care he deserves in the right place, but i honestly would not be surprised if at some point for some reason he gets "dumped" somewhere else !

I see the goal of your post is not to solve the problem, it's just another screaming about how bad country Russia is. In my opinion it's your girlfriend who "dumped" her father without help moving to the UK. If she has enough evidence about wrong treatment, she could write to prosecutor's office (they should respond to everybody). They don't treat patients with Parkinson in hospitals, it's for emergencies. In Russia, as Manny wrote, relatives take care of old people. Perhaps I would sympathize to your girlfriend, but not after such title and posts.
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 07:38:09 PM »
My wife spent 6 weeks this summer in Russia to get medical care that was just too expensive to get done in the US.  She believes the American medical system sucks.

What? Is she going to the third world country to get medical care???  :chuckle:
 :innocent: Me too (and not because it's expensive), I'm really disappointed in doctors' qualification here.
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем