The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Christmas in the UK.  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Christmas in the UK.
« on: November 09, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »
Im spending Christmas in the UK this year with the wife and kids the first time I would of been in the UK for over 10 years...I already know I'm going to miss the motherland  :(

So looks like I will be doing the Christmas swim this year :hide chair:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Christmas in the UK.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 03:03:20 PM »
I will be in the New Forest over the Christmas period. Full on turkey dinner, Santa Claus and even a trip to the panto.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 03:41:08 PM »
Taking my daughter to see Santa in Lapland in December, reindeer sleigh from the airport, husky rides, snowmobiles, Lapland post office, elves, snow, forest hike to Santa's house, the full hit.  :rouble-smile:

Christmas will be at home with the family as it should be. None of that "order your over-priced turkey in October" bollocks for us though. Wifey isn't keen on eating what society dictates on a given day (lest we become like Americans at Thanksgiving), so it will probably be fillet steak with melted blue cheese on the barbie (yup, in December) and steamed veg. Works for me. :thumbsup:

None of that queuing with the proles down the supermarket though, Ocado charge a festive tenner to deliver your Yuletide groceries.

I've plenty of logs and coal for the fire, the fridge will be stocked with wine and thanks to the wonders of e-commerce, money will still be rolling in while I am quaffing the aforementioned wine and having a few days rest.  tiphat
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »
Taking my daughter to see Santa in Lapland in December, reindeer sleigh from the airport, husky rides, snowmobiles, Lapland post office, elves, snow, forest hike to Santa's house, the full hit.  :rouble-smile:

Christmas will be at home with the family as it should be. None of that "order your over-priced turkey in October" bollocks for us though. Wifey isn't keen on eating what society dictates on a given day (lest we become like Americans at Thanksgiving), so it will probably be fillet steak with melted blue cheese on the barbie (yup, in December) and steamed veg. Works for me. :thumbsup:

None of that queuing with the proles down the supermarket though, Ocado charge a festive tenner to deliver your Yuletide groceries.

I've plenty of logs and coal for the fire, the fridge will be stocked with wine and thanks to the wonders of e-commerce, money will still be rolling in while I am quaffing the aforementioned wine and having a few days rest.  tiphat

Sounds like a great Christmas for you and your family. Especially cool the trip to Lapland (Finland?) for your daughter.

Turkeys are not really expensive and in fact many supermarkets give them free when you spend X amount of dollars. Turkey is an acquired taste and takes patience, a bit of skill and several hours to get it right.

A steak or a nice ham are easier and just as festive. ????

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 05:44:26 PM »
I will be in the New Forest over the Christmas period. Full on turkey dinner, Santa Claus and even a trip to the panto.

What is “the panto”?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 10:40:24 PM »
Panto = pantomime

What is the panto? 

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 01:32:21 AM »
We have rented a house in the village and have already planned a Russian party for over the Christmas weekend..

We will have the Russian flag flying high  from of the house, and all will be genuine Russian food  :) Already taken most of the alcohol , champaign . caviar and other stuff I hope we can sneak past customs  :hide chair:

Then a quiet Christmas dinner with the parents...we will be spending two days in London so just working out how to explain to the kids that they probably will not see any English people in London and not to worry about all the people sleeping on the street...its just normal.. :chuckle:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 01:53:40 AM »
Just change the language. Many of the people they see might not be English but they are likely to be British.

Be proud to be British! It was the British Empire, not the English Empire and the people you see are very often from the Commonwealth, formerly the British Commonwealth.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 02:10:10 AM »
Just change the language. Many of the people they see might not be English but they are likely to be British.

Be proud to be British! It was the British Empire, not the English Empire and the people you see are very often from the Commonwealth, formerly the British Commonwealth.

I am proud to be British very much so...just what has happened to the country over the last few years make the British the laughing stock of the world  :(

I want the Empire back!!! :)

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 03:17:53 AM »
It’s payback time! Empire means more subjects, wasnt that long ago all commonwealth citizens where British Subjects and entitked to settle in the UK freely just by turning up.

Now of course its worse. Now we have tge refugee crisis caused by us destabilising and inciting regime change.

Many on here are blind to that, they only experience the result, not the cause

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 04:00:08 AM »
It’s payback time! Empire means more subjects, wasnt that long ago all commonwealth citizens where British Subjects and entitked to settle in the UK freely just by turning up.

Now of course its worse. Now we have tge refugee crisis caused by us destabilising and inciting regime change.

Many on here are blind to that, they only experience the result, not the cause

I only want the Empire back so I can go get my boots polished free in some countries.. :laugh:

And also it would be on condition I can be some high ranking official other wise Im not interested.. :ROFL:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 09:13:04 AM »
Steve & Manny, Which Christmas will you celebrate? Or do you have to do it in stereo.  :hidechair:
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 09:37:27 AM »
Steve & Manny, Which Christmas will you celebrate? Or do you have to do it in stereo.  :hidechair:

Kind of three for me.. 25th December...7th January (Its when the kids get the presents) and 31st December  :party0011:

But I have not had a proper Christmas dinner with a turkey on the 25th for so many years I cannot remember , this year will be a first for a long time :)

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 10:55:25 AM »

Kind of three for me.. 25th December...7th January (Its when the kids get the presents) and 31st December  :party0011:

But I have not had a proper Christmas dinner with a turkey on the 25th for so many years I cannot remember , this year will be a first for a long time :)

Those are the best IMO! Enjoy.

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 10:57:55 AM »

Ours and New Year. Old Russian Xmas isnt a huge thing in Russia nowadays, and less so with a woman who has been relocated over a decade. Wifey is British now as well, so in England, British Xmas. As you'll know, New Year is biggest in Russia anyway.

Turkeys are not really expensive and in fact many supermarkets give them free when you spend X amount of dollars. Turkey is an acquired taste and takes patience, a bit of skill and several hours to get it right.

I've nothing against turkey and it's no hardship to cook, but here if you want a decent organic one (like say a Duchy one at $85) you'll order it way in advance and pay top dollar. Frozen supermarket ones or factory ones are probably cheap, but origin of food - especially meat - is a thing in our house. We are not really into factory farmed stuff or stuff laden with chemicals and pharmaceuticals if we have a choice. I know in the US meat is full of pharmaceuticals, hormones and gawd knows what, it's the price of production so cheap they can give it away like you said. However, the point was more that society says you should eat turkey on December 25th, so we'll have something else.  :chuckle:

Is Christmas still much of a thing in the US? I thought y'all celebrated more at thanksgiving?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 11:16:50 AM »

Ours and New Year. Old Russian Xmas isnt a huge thing in Russia nowadays, and less so with a woman who has been relocated over a decade. Wifey is British now as well, so in England, British Xmas. As you'll know, New Year is biggest in Russia anyway.

I've nothing against turkey and it's no hardship to cook, but here if you want a decent organic one (like say a Duchy one at $85) you'll order it way in advance and pay top dollar. Frozen supermarket ones or factory ones are probably cheap, but origin of food - especially meat - is a thing in our house. We are not really into factory farmed stuff or stuff laden with chemicals and pharmaceuticals if we have a choice. I know in the US meat is full of pharmaceuticals, hormones and gawd knows what, it's the price of production so cheap they can give it away like you said. However, the point was more that society says you should eat turkey on December 25th, so we'll have something else.  :chuckle:

Is Christmas still much of a thing in the US? I thought y'all celebrated more at thanksgiving?

If you’re referring only to eating Turkey then yes it’s more important at Thanksgiving.

Christmas is still huge in the USA although it’s mostly for families and especially for children.

Christmas Eve was always my favorite for getting the presents and Christmas Day mostly for gorging on Turkey, watching American football and then sleeping.

I personally like a good Turkey for Thanksgiving and a spiral ham on Christmas. Yes an organic Turkey can be spendy but they do taste better for sure.

I sometimes just order the entire fixings from the deli at Safeway (a local supermarket).

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »
I sometimes just order the entire fixings from the deli at Safeway (a local supermarket).

Blast from the past! We used to have Safeway many years ago, like in the 70s and 80s.

A quick Google tells me they were bought by Morrisons here in 1987: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safeway_(UK)

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »

Blast from the past! We used to have Safeway many years ago, like in the 70s and 80s.

A quick Google tells me they were bought by Morrisons here in 1987: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safeway_(UK)

Small World. Is Morrisons any good? Not sure if this bit is true or not:

“In November 2016, however, Morrisons announced that the Safeway brand would be revived on a range of food products, manufactured in the company's own factories, for distribution through independent retailers within the United Kingdom.”

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »

Chlorine Chickens from USA cum Brexit! And squirty cheese....

Not a festive person, none of us are, not religious either, plus kids of an age where you can't buy for the their taste change so much - give 'em chase. Also not into giving people crap for Xmas like ex-wifeys lot. Proper Catholics, it's a part of penance for their sins.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »
I have a personal Christmas Eve tradition of setting a trap to capture Santa Claus. Haven't caught him yet and honestly I'm starting to get the impression that he might not even be real. Either that, or he's on to me.  :biggrin:
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »

Chlorine Chickens from USA cum Brexit! And squirty cheese....

Not a festive person, none of us are, not religious either, plus kids of an age where you can't buy for the their taste change so much - give 'em chase. Also not into giving people crap for Xmas like ex-wifeys lot. Proper Catholics, it's a part of penance for their sins.

:laugh: tiphat

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 10:22:44 PM »
I want the Empire back!!! :)

Sorry, not coming.

But if it makes you feel any better, Taxation WITH Representation ain't so great either.  :chuckle:

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 05:49:09 AM »
I will not be eating some old frozen turkey!

Just a genuine organic bugger that has been fed on quality food... :chuckle:

Actually its coming from a local farmer we know and they are letting me wring its neck , never done that so it will be pretty interesting  :laugh:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 07:04:38 AM »
I will not be eating some old frozen turkey!

Just a genuine organic bugger that has been fed on quality food... :chuckle:

Actually its coming from a local farmer we know and they are letting me wring its neck , never done that so it will be pretty interesting  :laugh:

You mean *snip*!  :chuckle:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »
Something like choking the chicken but on a slightly larger target?

Registration