The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Travel to/from Lugansk  (Read 16754 times)

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Travel to/from Lugansk
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2017, 05:24:48 AM »
I would not be concerned if it was a scam,

:eeekk:

Tom put it well three years ago to this bloke:

I don't think that you are catching our drift: this entire situation is screwed up, not just a few details.

1) Getting involved with a girl who is less than half of your age is lunacy, even if she were willing... because the girl would have to be crazy, stupid, have an agenda or be grotesquely compromised.

2) Most of the married guys have made several visits within six months from first contact and spent all of their time on Skype in between trips. (The marriages that predated Skype don't count.)

3) It is strange, to the point of being creepy, for prospective spouses not to want to hear each other's voices. Even if it were not, without spoken communication, it isn't possible to establish each other's active vocabulary.

Nothing has changed (apart from the 'woman'). He still hasn't learned Russian or got on a plane. This folks, is a Keyboard Romeo.

Tom seemed to have nailed it - over 3 years ago!! Some folks just wont listen.  :'(

Offline irishalien

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2017, 08:10:55 AM »
Texan77, and Tom Cat, much good advice and thanks for all your thoughts. You are right about my brother, who always hoped for more than friendship in his marriage, but he knew that was pretty much all he was going to get and that made them both winners in their goals.
I now have Alex in Lugansk as an informed resource, and just his simple finding of her social media page has been great. He is specific about what to expect next if pro scam (e.g. cash for the bank account to get visa) and number of border crossings, etc., but he shares my gentle hope that we can help her to a better life.
After whatever happens next, I will return to this site and try to learn how to "pm" which I assume is private message (yes, I am that bad at the internet!) and give you an update.
And I apologize to all about the flaming comment, i am very defensive of her courage and commitment to getting her daughter a better life.
Goodbye

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2017, 08:53:10 AM »
If your serious intent is to enable her to get 'a better life' then you are going to end up worse off and more lonely than you are now. That's not a good reason why people get married. That's a good reason why people donate money to helpful charities.

You won't get a lifetime of gratitude for such silly behaviour, you will simply be used as the mule that you are making of yourself and her new boyfriend/lover/whatever will replace you at the earliest sensible opportunity.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2017, 09:03:04 AM »
If your serious intent is to enable her to get 'a better life' then you are going to end up worse off and more lonely than you are now. That's not a good reason why people get married. That's a good reason why people donate money to helpful charities.

You won't get a lifetime of gratitude for such silly behaviour, you will simply be used as the mule that you are making of yourself and her new boyfriend/lover/whatever will replace you at the earliest sensible opportunity.

He appears to be a fairly decent kind of bloke but I'm stunned at how blasé he is with fact and reality. I fear the penny wont drop with this one, even after all of his.....has.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »
I am sure that he is an OK bloke, but what he is doing is simply foolish.
Even Texan77 is more sensible, he simply sponsors his woman, doesn't ask too many questions, and does not visit more than she is willing to put up with.

This bloke is investing himself and that simply won't work out well.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
To marry sight unseen
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2017, 09:35:54 AM »
Irish Alien,

Curious you mention your brother married the Russian au pair (nanny) and than was divorced five years latter. Was there a substantial age difference between your your brother and his ex-wife?

Along the curious line, have you been married before or in a long term relationship?

Sorry if you have answered these questions before, but I do not recall seeing this information.

Av
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline irishalien

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »
Avhdb.
My brother knew he was just helping her, he was and is a  long term bachelor. I mentioned it only because of the three year  brutal immigration process they went through to get her green card, very arduous but they were good friends throughout.
I am not sure why you ask, but I have been happily married three times, for 16 years, 10 years and 17; all three are well remarried to better suited men for them, we remain friends, and co-parent eight children whose ages are from 13 to 40.
My thread from three years ago was seeking advice about another Ukrainian girl from Kharkov who was also wonderful to correspond with and taught me a lot. She died of cancer two years ago at a young age, and that is part of my motivation for wanting to help this one.
I think it is time to end my public posting, I will learn the private messaging system and stop the general discussions. My confusion on the board is that I was seeking information about a troubled area of the world, and instead I get lots of advice about relationships (past and possible) that are somewhat sad.
Again, the major resource to come out of this is Alex and his website in Lugansk, and through him I have learned what I wanted to know.
Again, thanks to all who helped, and I hope you enjoy your journey as I do mine

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2017, 02:08:01 PM »

+100

If you want to help a needy girl then go help her but keep romance
out of it.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline mbwaring

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2018, 02:48:37 AM »
How the Hell do you think you would get
East Ukraine no airport no buses
I was there in 2004 and while it had liveable
society there are so many Russians living
there they quickly spot foreigners.
Go to nikoleav or Kiev more classy and cultured girls

Michael
Sydney australia

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2018, 07:35:21 AM »
How would you get there ?

Either crossing from Ukraine - though you'd have some explaining to do, before you could   - or from the Russian side... 

Someone resident in the 'area of Ukraine not currently under control of Kiev' can invite ...
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online AvHdB

« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2018, 03:23:50 PM »

Go to nikoleav or Kiev more classy and cultured girls

For the lurkers, I would not bother with Nikolayev for women. In Ukraine it is the epicenter of pay per letter web sites.

For some this is a number and percentage endeavor.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
How would you get there ?

Either crossing from Ukraine - though you'd have some explaining to do, before you could   - or from the Russian side... 

Someone resident in the 'area of Ukraine not currently under control of Kiev' can invite ...

Why don’t you take a tour of Donbas and write trip report for us?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2018, 03:37:03 PM »
Why don’t you take a tour of Donbas and write trip report for us?

Confederate, Are you having a bad day?

Offline Geraldneoft

• Spouses Country: Greece
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
Travel to/from Lugansk
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2019, 01:56:32 PM »
Im in Cole Harbour but originally from Antigonish. Make sure you get over to The Townhouse...great beers on tap
[spam removed]

Offline Wiz

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »
Im in Cole Harbour but originally from Antigonish. Make sure you get over to The Townhouse...great beers on tap

Are you based in Greece or you wife is Greek?

May I ask which part of Greece?

I was born in Greece but now Live in UK.

Welcome to the Board.  :)
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Ангелина1234Т

• Spouses Country: Украина
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2020, 11:51:52 AM »
Did you communicate with this person personally? Have you seen her?" All your communication is in correspondence?
You need to be careful. There are a lot of scammers now. Check all the information first. And then take action.

Registration