The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Travel to/from Lugansk  (Read 16759 times)

Offline irishalien

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: None Yet
Re: Travel to/from Lugansk
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 09:19:11 AM »
Not yet, since my college russian is 40 years out of date and her english is poor. My immigration lawyers will talk to her in the next few weeks about visas since they speak russian, but of course they want a $2500 retainer for fiance visa. Talk about scammers! (just kidding). We have exchanged phone numbers and addresses but no mail service there. It has also been comfortable just using letters for me (not her), since it is a unusual way to date as opposed to the American visual fall in love/lust system and find out the inner person later.
Again thanks for the interactions, it has helped.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »
I need to come out and say this, for your own good. I cant believe you've been lurking here for years, reading up and absorbing everything.....and still be so naive.

1) Why haven't you skype'd or face timed her after a year? I wouldn't write a stranger longer than a couple days without verifying what they actually looked like and are they for real!

2) You're way too emotionally involved with someone you don't have a real relationship with. That may sound harsh but its true. You're talking about saving her and the sprog and helping them settle in the US illegally. You're even paying lawyers to discuss this ridiculous fantasy too. They deserve struck off for taking advantage of you.

3) Get her on the visual, stumble through it with copy paste translations and gauge whether this is worth the investment.....and by investment I mean a plane ticket east.

4) Get on a plane (without an engagement ring) and go meet her somewhere within walking distance to her home. If you're told this isn't possible then offer to meet her within a few hours driving distance. If this isn't possible, then you're getting the piss ripped right out you. Walk away and move on before you waste anything else.

You sound like a decent bloke but if you were a mate of mine, I'd have kicked your arse. Seriously, look at it for what it is before wasting any more good money. Follow my advice, meet her if your gut instinct tells you to and then go from there. Talking about lawyers, refugee status, saving women and children and marriage to a person you've never even seen sounds like a bad joke?

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 09:37:42 AM »
Do you not think it normal, before considering importing and marrying someone, that you at least are able to communicate in a common language and have telephone communication? Even if that communication is by SMS or via an interpreter?

How can you consider marrying a person whose voice you have never heard and whom you have never met?

Assuming this is a real woman on the other end of the email, who has agreed to being imported to the US, wouldn't one expect her after a year to have started to learn English in order to be able to communicate with you? How will you communicate if you did manage to import her?

If she is in Lugansk, and the reported issues surrounding passports were true, why not simply meet her in Russia? The people in the areas that were once known as Ukraine have no difficulty travelling to Russia.

Of course some lawyers will tell you what you want to hear, they are charging you with no guarantee of success. The seed they planted about her being a potential "refugee" is incorrect and preposterous. Lawyers are not cheap to feed.

Have you sent this person any money at all? (Western Union?) If you have, stop it. This isn't a relationship, it's a pen friend. Quite possibly not with a woman. Scams out of Lugansk are as old as the hills.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline irishalien

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 09:54:55 AM »
Thanks for all the warnings and life advice, but what part of three long term marriages to American women don't you understand? No, I have not lurked here for years, I found it in 2014 and after asking for thoughts was soundly warned by evidently some terribly depressed posters about the Kharkov girl, who later died from cancer at a young age.
I just found it again on an old email  so used it a resource for travel ideas, and thoughts, since the internet is not useful.
Google searches and site searches for facial recognition and her picture and profile all were taken down when I decided to help her, she withdrew from the site as did I.
And sprog used to be a derogatory term for a child, but it says now positive.
It is an interesting forum but still too much member depression instead of optimism. Read "the man in the arena" teddy roosevelt and cheer up, and thanks (I guess) for the time. I smile a lot at life.

Offline Manny

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 10:14:10 AM »
I'd recommend you read >this< for $20 and save yourself the other $2480 that you would otherwise be giving to lawyers. It's all in that book.

Looking back, I see we have been here before:

Irishalien, you are heading for a trainwreck. You need to do some heavy reading here.

We agreed no skype or phones, just a first meeting

and hope to marry her as quickly as possible.

These two statements alone are harbingers of doom.

Any veteran or married guy here will agree with me on this.

You are caught up in the excitement and perceived reality of it all. Without telephone contact you dont even know who you are writing to. You really need to slow down.

Can I ask your respective ages?

Can I also ask if you sent any money?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline irishalien

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »
Manny thanks for the advice. Yes I read the book, and no I am not paying lawyers until they talk to her on the phone. I am from a generation that likes romance and mystery. My computer is so old it does not have a camera, but my teenagers would help if/when we go to skype.
The concept of getting to know someone well through writing letters/emails, which I have now done twice with Ukrainian girls, is far preferable to the modern way. For example, I have the letters from my parents before World war 2 and they are a treasure.
After the two years away following my loss from the death of the first girl I met online, I wandered on the love me site. At my age I was inundated with standard letters, phishing, but only found 2 that were worth exploring. I have enjoyed repeating the process, without the deep connection I felt with the first girl, but that is okay too.
Finally, in the 11 months of writing she has never mentioned money. It was when I volunteered to fund the trip to Kiev that she felt it was too dangerous, and suggested the fixer, who travels freely and will get her a real passport. This is a smart young woman, who is as brave and courageous as I have met. Our many photo exchanges were tasteful, with many exchanged of her parents, brother, and the child, and my current children, but again my total investment in the one year relationship has been the $300 I paid the website over the first ten months.
I think, as happened in 2014 on your forum, I am getting a lot of "you are stupid" type comments, but buried in those this time were some good thoughts. I respect our state department warning, and no the lawyers did not suggest refugee status.
As I did last time, I think it is time to take what I have learned a see what happens next. As the only forum of your type, it has been helpful, thanks again

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »
My girl is from Lugansk and you can write me privately if you like. I do not believe everyone is a scam artist like some of the other members. Most likely meet her in Kharkov. There are many people from Donbas in Kharkov. I know a translator/guild in Kharkov that could help if you want.  If you really like her you can plan other visits. Do not get worried about getting scam out of a hundred dollars or something. She could for real not have any money and need something. It will cost her very little to go to Kharkov but the trip can be hard and take more than a day depending on boarder conditions at the time of her crossing. The plane ticket to Kharkov for me is about a thousand dollars.

Important DO NOT GET MARRIED ANYTIME SOON!!!! Meet and get to know your girl well. VERY WELL!!! She maybe the greatest thing to happen in your life but she could be worse thing also and still not be a scam girl. Some of these girls great and other have bad emotional problems. You NEED to KNOW what you are getting into.

Probably the best advice in the thread because his GF is also from the Donbas.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »
Thanks for all the warnings and life advice, but what part of three long term marriages to American women don't you understand? No, I have not lurked here for years, I found it in 2014 and after asking for thoughts was soundly warned by evidently some terribly depressed posters about the Kharkov girl, who later died from cancer at a young age.
I just found it again on an old email  so used it a resource for travel ideas, and thoughts, since the internet is not useful.
Google searches and site searches for facial recognition and her picture and profile all were taken down when I decided to help her, she withdrew from the site as did I.
And sprog used to be a derogatory term for a child, but it says now positive.
It is an interesting forum but still too much member depression instead of optimism. Read "the man in the arena" teddy roosevelt and cheer up, and thanks (I guess) for the time. I smile a lot at life.

Whatever pal.

You can do two things from here. Listen to good advice or carry on regardless.

I’m neither depressed or trying to mock you but if you expect me to support this and slap you on the back, then you’ve joined the wrong group. If we really wanted to be nasty we would be encouraging you to carry on.

I’m just amazed that you appear to think your story is healthy. 3 failed marriages won’t help you one bit and this update only causes further concern regarding your mindset.

If you insist on doing this thing, just fly to her first and meet her in person before doing anything stupid. There’s no reason why you can’t right? Your legal fees to date alone would probably have covered trip 1.

Finally, have you asked yourself what kind of woman would marry a man she’s never met and export her and her child to this persons country she can neither communicate or work in? If you’re honest here it’ll help you big time.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 05:44:30 PM »
Finally, have you asked yourself what kind of woman would marry a man she’s never met

My mother never met my father before they were engaged (by their parents).  The revolution broke the families apart, but they were able to join together in another country and start a new life.  Then another revolution forced them to start a new life in another country (taking the children along with them).  After over 60 years of marriage, I think they got used to each other, even with intermittent bumps in life.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 05:58:38 PM »
Irishalien,

Do you look your age or do you look 20 years younger? Do you feel your age or 15-20 years younger?

I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »
This endeavor to find, marry, and have a long successful life together can be very difficult even under the best of circumstance. Starting out with the deck stacked against you before you get in the game is going to limit success.
From my observations so far you have already lost a year, and you now want to try shortcuts to catch up.

Had you gotten on a plane 8 or 9 months ago you would be firmly in charge of the process. Most likely this lady would be willing to do whatever necessary on her end if she was certain you were the one.

I highly doubt hiring fixers, attorneys, will make much difference.
One of the biggest mistakes is to think letter writing is romantic and that this romance is what these ladies are looking for.
These ladies want a real man of action, the they can count on.

Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 12:16:08 AM »
It would be interesting to hear her side of the story, if there is a her. I don’t think a normal woman would be willing to risk everything and move her life to the other side of the world, for a guy who’s not bothered to visit but hand writes letters every so often.

This just doesn’t add up.

Offline irishalien

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »
Gentlemen, thank you all for the thoughts, especially the encouraging ones! My only comment is for the "three failed marriages" chap. As a final attempt to explain how some of my generation looked at life, three wonderful women agreed to marry me, went through the joys of providing and raising our children (I have eight), and as we grew in life gently found better men to spend the rest of their lives with, to the delight of us all.

This forum confirmed that Lugansk is a scary place to visit, and since my motives (which evidently confuse you) are primarily to help a single mother and child escape a bizarre twilight semi-war zone and then enjoy our relationship for whatever time we have together is pretty simple. She is the one who demurred at my trip through Russia to meet her family; that is either concern for my safety or a scam, but again, I really don't care, as long as she is helped.
If she is real, she has also seen war, and like me not concerned about others' opinions of how we choose to live life.
I wish you all a good journey, we all know the end of our life story and we all can choose our path and attitude to that destination.
Again thank you for the thoughts from the helpful ones!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
It's your choice to do as you want, but seems you lack the experience in internet scamming to see what is going on.
There have been hundreds and thousands of men just like you that get sucked into these hardship stories.
These ladies are not as bad off as you think.
She has sent you many photos take a moment to look at her clothes and accessories, look at her surroundings, do they look depressed?

If you really want to help donate money to Ukrainian orphanages here is where you will find those that have little to nothing,
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 10:14:51 AM »
Many posters come through the doors of RUA and share their story. They then go on to read the replies from people trying to give well intended advice but sadly many end up ignoring it, because they found it to be less than encouraging or not what they wanted to hear. Don't be that man.

I like your open minded positive outlook on life irishalien, it's a quality short in supply these days.....but I fear you'll end up hurt and poorer for this experience with a Ukrainian pen pal. Ignore me if you want but all I ask is that you listen to the others. I don't know you but I'm not a bloke who enjoys watching a car crash, recording it rather than doing something to stop it.

Good luck.

Offline irishalien

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2017, 11:31:56 AM »
Once again thanks for all the warnings and concern. This trip to the forum I confirmed the bizarre nature of where she lives, and my decisions on travel. I do want to correct one thing, she has never claimed hardship other than the usual  single mom. She has a good job, a stay at home one using the internet, and tasteful clothes. I offered the bus fares to Kiev, she never asked, but the hazards of border crossing and long trip are unworkable with the child,  hence the messenger.
Eventually I will learn the truth but I am not as emotionally invested as perhaps other victims, and not really concerned about the money (Her letters were cheaper than therapy!).
Also the orphanage donation person who posted I did not see a link to a Ukrainian Orphanage? And the poster who has a girl/wife from Lugansk, was that before the war? Thanks

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2017, 12:34:19 PM »
Back to the passport, from what I have been able to find your lady friend should be able to get a Ukrainian biometric passport. Cost $45 for a 7 day wait $35 for 20 days waiting. I before provided a link that would answer most questions.
The $500 fixer fee would equal about 2 months salary which would be just the start of the money flow.

This saying is so very true when it comes to Ukrainian women

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!

I understand you have the best of intentions, but do be cautious.

September 1, 2017

Since 1 January Ukraine Introduces Biometric Border Control

https://lnrtopnews.com/2017/09/since-1-january-ukraine-introduces-biometric-border-control/

EU demands to issue biometric passports to Donbass, Crimea residents

https://dninews.com/article/eu-demands-issue-biometric-passports-donbass-crimea-residents

Offline irishalien

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »
Thanks again. This is an interesting site offering verification services and other information about Lugansk. Anyone familiar with it?
With all my research I found it because of so much skepticism here!
Thank you in advance if you know these people

http://www.luganskukraine.info/

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2017, 05:22:51 PM »
There are tons of refugees from Syria and northern Africa who probably are looking for someone to rescue them. War torn regions often produce residents looking for an escape route to a better life.

Note that the hardship stories are not solely on the women side.  Many women have been duped by male profiles on dating sites pretending to be in the military needing financial assistance.  So it goes both ways.

Regarding Ukrainian orphanages, here is one site that has information, but cannot verify its integrity.

http://www.lifesongfororphans.org/countries/ukraine/
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2017, 05:28:49 PM »
Once again thanks for all the warnings and concern. This trip to the forum I confirmed the bizarre nature of where she lives, and my decisions on travel. I do want to correct one thing, she has never claimed hardship other than the usual  single mom. She has a good job, a stay at home one using the internet and tasteful clothes. I offered the bus fares to Kiev, she never asked, but the hazards of border crossing and long trip are unworkable with the child,  hence the messenger.
Eventually I will learn the truth but I am not as emotionally invested as perhaps other victims, and not really concerned about the money (Her letters were cheaper than therapy!).
Also the orphanage donation person who posted I did not see a link to a Ukrainian Orphanage? And the poster who has a girl/wife from Lugansk, was that before the war? Thanks

I highlighted her job. Staying at home writing letters to lonely men is more than likely the job description.

A woman who was genuinely interested in marriage would be willing to travel to meet with you. 

The “fixer” fee is the con, besides getting paid to write lonely guys.  :coffeeread:

Offline irishalien

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »
Thanks for the orphanage link, it looks like something a man who celebrates children should be thinking about. I will use the Lugansk web guy to check it all out since his site has been around for a while, and he promises a discreet background check for $35, and he is in the city. And I have been too busy with work and 3 teenagers to be a "lonely guy", although the Steve Martin movie was hilarious.
Life is interesting..

Offline Manny

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »
Thanks again. This is an interesting site offering verification services and other information about Lugansk. Anyone familiar with it?
With all my research I found it because of so much skepticism here!
Thank you in advance if you know these people

http://www.luganskukraine.info/

Alex has an account here he hasn't used in a while, send him a PM and ask him to come back maybe?

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=714

Here is his topic from 2008: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,444.msg74730.html#msg74730

Offline Jim Hall

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2017, 09:10:01 PM »
And don't forget that if you two have never met, you have no proof of helping her, and you have not asked her to marry you, and can provide proof of all of that, as well as sworn statements from friends and family, you will never get a K1 visa, and she will likely never get any kind of visa, especially if she owns nothing, has no job. People travel in and out of Lugansk all the time. Too dangerous is just an excuse. And if you go there, you can't return to Ukraine to fly home as it is not permitted, so you would have to get a visa to go to Russia, and leave from there(At least from what I had read)
"U.S. citizens who enter Ukraine through ATO territory along the Russian border will not be allowed to pass through government checkpoints to government of Ukraine-controlled territory.
Ukraine’s Security Service (SBU)  procedures at entry/exit points requires that permit applications be submitted and approved electronically prior to travel in the ATO zone. For a comprehensive list of the requirements for a permit to enter the ATO zone, please visit the official SBU website.."

As others have said, if she really cares, she would do whatever is needed to travel to see you. But it seems this discussion is just  :dh:

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:23 PM »
You wrote that a year is too long to be a scammer.

I have a friend who was down that road twice ... He would disagree with you.

Wayne

Online 2tallbill

Travel to/from Lugansk
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2017, 06:40:18 AM »
You wrote that a year is too long to be a scammer.

I have a friend who was down that road twice ... He would disagree with you.

Wayne

A scammers and keyboard Romeo's, sounds like matches made in
heaven.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls