The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Is property investment viable?  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Poldark

• Trips: 1-5
Is property investment viable?
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:37:25 AM »
I'm wondering if property investment in the FSU or to be more precise, Russia and Ukraine is viable as a foreigner.

I've noticed in Russia property prices have steadied out and in some cases have risen since sanctions, Ukraine seems up and down but rather static within Kiev, I've seen some lovely properties in Kiev at the $200k mark in central areas which would easily be £1million+ in London and from photos, everything looks above board. Moscow and St. Petersburg are much more expensive for similar central locations but equally stunning from photos!

Obviously I wouldn't jump into this head first without proper thought, research, visits etc, I own, with family, several properties in the UK and two in Dubai (exclusively mine! :king:) through a offshore holding companies and I'd intend to do the same in Russia or Ukraine if I end up purchasing investment property in either location however I cannot find good information as to potential rental returns, buy to let mortgage terms (I'm starting to think it doesn't exist) and whether the areas I'm looking are actually good choices, central is great but if it's the wrong disctrict, what an expensive mistake!

Has anyone does this in Russia or Ukraine as despite the chaos, it looks quite attractive so long as I hold out long enough for political situations to steady out properly in Ukraine.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Is property investment viable?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 12:23:20 PM »
Yes..in Russia...Sochi...RoI miles better in UK.... short-term let's in peak season and longer-term in winter.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Is property investment viable?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 01:34:54 PM »
I have one in Estonia I've had almost a decade. BTL works there OK. Mortgages exist for foreigners etc.

I toyed with Russia a few years ago, looked at some stuff but never jumped. Sparky is your man for this if he happens by. He has experience of Russian property.

Not sure I'd bother in Ukraine, it's politically unstable, highly corrupt, has a civil war still in progress and probably hasn't finished having bits broken off from around the edges yet.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.