The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Hello from Trenchy :)  (Read 4634 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
Hello from Trenchy :)
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:55:56 AM »
Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum but am pretty regular on the other forum about FSU dating. Unfortunately the other forum has been down a number of of days and I am not sure when it (another forum) will be back. I'm hoping it has not gone forever as it was a great resource and help to me in my search for a FSW. Many of its forum members have been very generous in their help to during my search and I've benefited a great deal from their vast experience. So its heartening to see a few of them hang out here also such as you 2tallbill who have helped me a lot in my search with much good & well founded advice :) I really have much appreciated all the help you have given me in the past.

I'm also looking forward to meeting some new members on here that I am no doubt new to, but I can no doubt count on me Mobers to give me a warm welcome here and vouch for me as a top gent ;D As an almost fellow Englishman its great to see him around these parts :GOUK:

I'll give you a brief rundown of my story so far in a following post shortly for those of you not familiar to me but for now just wanted to say a big Hi to you all!

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
Re: Hello from Trenchy :)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 07:25:51 AM »
Welcome Trenchcoat. The board owner Dan at the other place has been AWOL for years. I think about 7 years or so. I think the death of his father hit him pretty bad. Maybe there are other reasons also.

Way, way back there was another board called RW-G that got sold to a dating agency by its American owner Spencer. All the moderators were let go and replaced by Agency people who were strangers to the place. It soon fell apart when the strongest posters who were mostly former moderators stopped posting. Soon it started losing its tech support. I notice this happened to the other place too where you used to post. Try editing anything there and it is a mess.

This what I get when I try and go on that board

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »
Trenchcoat, Welcome to RUA.

Feel free to ask questions and you will hear different opinions and thoughts.

Bear in mind some present do not suffer fools lightly. If you can not understand the fallacy of pre-conceived opinions you will only have your actions to answer to.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:12:13 PM »
Welcome to the site, Trenchcoat.

This one has been around a decade or so, and is less US-centric and generally more pro-Russian than the other one, but plenty of friendly folks here too.  :thumbsup:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »
What happened at the other forum?  Posting stopped after Oct. 9 and nothing until a few hours ago.  Server crash?  Rent not paid?

it is back up now, FYI.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 04:29:22 AM »
What happened at the other forum?  Posting stopped after Oct. 9 and nothing until a few hours ago.  Server crash?  Rent not paid?

it is back up now, FYI.

The domain name will soon expire. (2017-12-02)
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 04:49:34 AM »
another forum is back up.

I suspect for some that is relief. RUA while we often disagree mostly we show higher level of decorum and respect.

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 06:06:57 AM »
Welcome in Trenchy  tiphat

I am moderately familiar with your posts from elsewhere, the only advice I would give at this stage is there is a wealth of knowledge at this place which can potentially help you a great deal in your search, honest blokes willing to learn will prosper!!

Worth noting we don't have Australians who learnt everything they know lurking in chatrooms here - the knowledge here, in the main was learnt the hard way - by messing up and learning from mistakes!!!

Good luck!!!
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »
I think the OP may be "entrenched" on the other forum site since it is back up now.     :chuckle:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 06:44:29 PM »
My guess Trenchy will return to the other side where some will tickle his logic. My own guess he is something of a troll looking to get a rise from other members.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 12:08:14 AM »
Welcome Trench

If you came here for more 'advise' on how to pull, you may have the same luck as you had elsewhere.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 02:11:23 PM »
Welcome Trench

If you came here for more 'advise' on how to pull, you may have the same luck as you had elsewhere.

Mobers :) I knew you would give me the warmest welcome ever ;D

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »
Possibly a troll!
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 02:21:31 PM »
My guess Trenchy will return to the other side where some will tickle his logic. My own guess he is something of a troll looking to get a rise from other members.

Well it's handy he other forum is back up & running. I just tend to go with that one as it has more sections in and up front for those not long starting out. It also is a great repository with much knowledge gained over the years so I am glad it is not lost, some of which were my contributions :)

Nah, I'm not trolling at all, it is evident to forum members on the other forum thatI have been too Ukraine so uave an active interest. It's more that I am trying to get my head around what really happens in the FSU dating scene from those more experienced than myself so I know better what I am dealing with and can give myself a decent chance with an idea of the scope of it all. I will of course impart any of my learning here where relevant when I have the time of course to benefit newbies here like I not so long ago was.

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 02:23:18 PM »
Possibly a troll!

When you see the worth of my advice you'll change you're opinion on this ;)

p.s I know I find Australians so tense and uptight also :)

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 02:26:55 PM »
Just like to say thanks all for the warm welcomes. I appreciate it :)

Offline 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Hello from Trenchy :)
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 12:41:02 PM »
Possibly a troll!

I had a buddy room mate at the Uni, who took logic and got a D, so he took
it again and got an F. He would never look at the same facts as I did and
come up with the same conclusion.

Most of his ideas were crap and discounted immediately but that rare
occasion he would come up with an amazing plan of action that none
of the rest of us would have thought of.

Trenchy makes me think of my old roomie sometimes. I could write a 6
paragraph piece of advice and he comes up with a conclusion that only
he could come up with.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 01:14:37 PM »
Cheers Bill :) I think

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 01:42:25 PM »
Well, my story to date in brief everyone, I started my search properly abut 18 months ago, so Nov/Dec 2015.

I used EM site as this was suggested to me and came up with my first date after 2-3 months or so. We met in Kiev, she was 29 and nice & friendly but unfortunately the chemistry was just not quite there. We spent nearly a week together seeing the sights but a few weeks after getting back it really became a no-go for any further meet.

Later in 2016 in the Summer I went to meet a girl in Nikolayev. I spent a few days in Odessa on the way to check out the scene. I met her in Nikolayev for a dinner date but she was not interested in any further dates. Admittedly I did not Skype - I could read into her that she was legit but not Skyping was something I should have done. She had a real old mobile and just borowed her college friends laptop when needs be as she was a 24 year old student. I met her on Mamba.

Last girl I got with in Spring/Summer this year 2017 again in Kiev. This girl was far more affectionate than the first. We got into a serious relationship but it was not without its problems. She was a shopaholic and thought I was the solution to her lack of ability to buy clothes due to her poorly paying retail job. I tried to be nice and meet her someway on this but this proved to be a mistake. A purchase of a book then ran inot a coat and increasing more & more. Branded goods mostly although not real expensive about £40-80 a time on average but if you do that a fair bit it all adds up. I only went along with it as there was intimacy and she on the first visit our of two seemed serious and sincere. However, after the second date together on a holiday in the med her shopping spree worsened far more than the first. After we got back she seemed more into me getting her a tourist visa than being into me. She refused to see me again only agreeing to see me if we first met in my country. To me this was a big red flag and the relationship has fizzled out.

So there we have it guys, mistakes made and lessons learnt. I'm going to go at it again next speing/summer on a visit many but this time to Russia and for a few months at it most likely. I think with the experience I've gained and knowledge from the likes of 2tallbill and even Moby ;) I am hopeful that I am making progress. One other thing I learnt from last girl is if you live in a wealthy area keep that info back into after you meet as they look all that stuff up. Even if you don't give the specific area they will assum that you are wealthy just because of the town/city/region you state. I wish you all good luck :)

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »
Curious have you dated a woman on your home turf?

Via Love Planet, a smaller Mamba type site, I met a number of women some who were interesting but nothing developed. I will note if this endeavour was easy everyone would be doing it.

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 02:26:47 PM »
Curious have you dated a woman on your home turf?

Via Love Planet, a smaller Mamba type site, I met a number of women some who were interesting but nothing developed. I will note if this endeavour was easy everyone would be doing it.

I met a girl of Match a few years ago, we met in a small village not far from me, picturesque, we had a drink and a snack and walked around the village. There was no chemistry though so after meeting we never met again, just a few emails for about 6 more weeks then it fizzled out. Funny thing was she emailed me, all of my other emails to girls on there went into a black hole with no response back save one, who replied back once but that was all. I don't go for fat chicks but even messaging a few of the slightly more plumper birds on there got no response. I've heard a lot that girls on sites like Match are inundated with messages from guys to the point of it being spam that they can't keep up and often tune out after too much of it. I know of some guys that don't get any interest at all on there. My sister said to me that she thinks the girls on there are looking for something specific. By this I guess she means, guys with money, athletic types, party/social types, chubby chasers, etc. If you're a straight up normal guy I think you have your work cut out on those sites. I think you may have done better on the site you suggest as its less well known about perhaps. Still as you note nothing developed and that is the problem with all dating sites that you're kind of blind dating, even with Skype it can be difficult to tell chemistry without meeting first.

Good thing with FSU dating is that there is a lot less competition as many guys don't want to go to the bother of all the time, trouble and money of dating FSU girls. Also many have ideas that they are just after money or immigration, not altogether untrue but if I can find one that is into me and not more into money or immigration or whatever then I figure I have more chance there. The women on the whole seem leagues ahed of many of the women on Match. The woman I met on match was ok, reasonable slim, ok looking and a couple or so years younger than me, however although we talked and got on well enough she never seemed comfortable in my presence, not necessarily just specific to me I think she was quite a timid type.

I've also done speed dating and Match nights. Speed dated four times with no joy, its kind of a thing where the women expect guys with good social skills, lol (the ones I went to all met in a bar). I noticed a 'put in' (paid pro speed dater) twice on the guys side and once on the female - easy to spot as they are the only real stand out extrovert one, the live wire. So the girls probably put him down a lot even though he was bald which I know a lot of woman have a bug bear about so may later decide to not follow up on him. Match nights were little different, intense focus on social skills, more men than woman. A girl sidled up to me on one of them and smiled meekily but she was not at all my type so I didn't engage. The odds are really stacked against you if you are a guy at one of those events as there are loads of other guys so often pointless. Some of the women are quite old also, late forties to sixties, etc. The very few younger more attractive women there take their pick really. One guy there even looked like he had hired a professional wingman to make the entrance for him not a bad idea - looks a bit sad I know, the women engaged but I would have thought it a bit obvious what was happening but perhaps they didn't like to appear rude. I went along to the first with my brothers & his friend. My brother's friend is good as a wingman as he is good with people and initiating contact but in a more natural non-pro way. Anyway he got us chatting to a couple of girls one already had a bf and was just accompanying her friend the other though friendly seemed to have on chemistry towards us.

So you see the dating scene for man in the UK that are not extrovert socializers is pretty scant. I hear most mean get a big zero at speed dating from the woman as they are all looking for the extrovert socializing type. That is what I like about FSU dating, far more women, far more response and if you meet enough of them or get lucky perhaps the 'one' will turn up for me. I may look other parts of the UK that may be more down to earth than where I am on the south coast of the UK as the girls around here tend to be a bit stuck up and difficult to get with - long tick box exercise type of stuff. I will just keep working at it :)