The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Romania  (Read 268 times)

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
Romania
« on: October 11, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »
I just spent a long weekend in Bucharest on a friends birthday trip with 6 other blokes. The wife doesn’t mind the odd trip away and signed my papers just under a year ago. We had planned to head for Slovenia for the final round of the World Cup qualifiers but being Scottish, thought better of it. Plus we’d been there about 9 years ago.

Anyway, Bucharest is a fantastic city to visit. Cheap to get there, cheap to wine & dine out and lots to do. We hired a mini bus complete with driver and headed for Brasov via the castles & Transylvania. The place was brilliant, a bit off the beaten path and an all round goodin.

Being in our 30’s, we checked out the nightlife and it got me thinking about the path I just trod. Don’t worry all is well in the Rosco house hold & there was nothing to feel guilty about on my return but a couple of the single boys filled their boots.

Stunningly beautiful girls, a Latin feel to the place, visa free and way less gypo than I was expecting. So just a heads up, maybe worth a shout for the single guys if they fancy a more red tape free experience. The locals were really approachable and English was spoken throughout.

Just a thought......

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Romania
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:58:42 PM »
An eon or two we had an American named Paul, decent enough, a bit prickly who married a Romanian woman. On a regular basis he praised the region.

Some of his images that he posted were simply amazing!
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online rosco

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 02:10:54 AM »
An eon or two we had an American named Paul, decent enough, a bit prickly who married a Romanian woman. On a regular basis he praised the region.

I remember the bloke, he had an avatar of him & his camera I recall. We never exactly made friends during my first few months.

Online Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:25:52 AM »
Rosco! Nice post. Could you give me an idea of the actual costs of certain things there? I am always looking for a cheap place to live. For example yesterday I got a haircut here in Tbilisi Republic of Georgia for 6 Lari ($2.42) which would have cost me $15 in the US. Do you remember some actual costs of certain things?

Online Poldark

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 04:30:19 AM »
Do you remember some actual costs of certain things?
Not Rosco but have been to Romania and have Romanian friends, a haircut costs on average 5€, an imported beer is 1.50€ (33cl) or 2€ (50cl), coffee at a cafe was 1.50€, Coke is 1€, Cinema is 6€.

Bucharest is obviously going to be more expensive than Tbillsi but it's not so expensive you're back in the US, Ukraine will be cheaper and the Baltics more expensive still.

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 04:38:08 AM »
Once again, the irony of Rosco promoting Romania ( visa free for now) when he voted to ensure a halt on such a status lives me perplexed

Don't Bexiters understand they are enjoying what their kids won't ?

Online rosco

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 04:53:05 AM »
Rosco! Nice post. Could you give me an idea of the actual costs of certain things there? I am always looking for a cheap place to live. For example yesterday I got a haircut here in Tbilisi Republic of Georgia for 6 Lari ($2.42) which would have cost me $15 in the US. Do you remember some actual costs of certain things?

Hi Maxx,

I probably cant help you out based on my trip but from memory you're looking at this;

5 star hotel £65 a night
40 min taxi from airport to centre £12
Beer £1/£2 but £3/4 in the tourist traps
Decent 2 course meal £7/10 etc.

This was all in pretty good places in the capital but you could spend more if you wanted the best. None of the wives were with us so no need.

I know you're looking at general living costs so this isn't much use to you but you can tell for the average native, public transport, a morning coffee & pastry on the go, haircuts etc will be a fraction of the cost us tourists pay. Particularly the more beer you had, the higher we seemed to pay but not enough to question it. It was only on the way home we were discussing how there was no way the locals were paying the same rate as us but still cheap compared with what we're used to.

Online rosco

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 04:55:10 AM »
Do you remember some actual costs of certain things?
Not Rosco but have been to Romania and have Romanian friends, a haircut costs on average 5€, an imported beer is 1.50€ (33cl) or 2€ (50cl), coffee at a cafe was 1.50€, Coke is 1€, Cinema is 6€.

Bucharest is obviously going to be more expensive than Tbillsi but it's not so expensive you're back in the US, Ukraine will be cheaper and the Baltics more expensive still.

We stopped in some random town hours outside Bucharest and away from the tourist trail for a working lunch one day - filthy cheap.

Online Maxx

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 06:33:24 AM »

Thanks Rosco and Poldark. It sounds like an affordable place to live. A bit higher than Georgia but probably pretty close if I was to stay out of the expat district(s). Here in Georgia it is know as the "Vake (Va-Ke) district" and the costs are double or more than a place like the "Didubi district" where I live.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »

Angel Eyes met two Romanian couples while we were in North Dakota.
One of the Romanian gals was barking mad cRaZy but Angel Eyes
managed to keep friendly with her.

The other Romanian couple visited us a few weeks ago. They have a
daughter about Mini-me's age who is only about 100 times smarter
than Mini me who seems blissfully oblivious to this. Her vocabulary
in English, Russian and Romanian is astounding. 

Online Ste

• Lol!
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 11:12:55 AM »
I went to Romania in 1984, right shithole then.

Not sure about PR for non-EU tho Maxx, not easy unless you can buy your way in or marry someone.

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online Maxx

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 11:23:42 AM »

Not sure about PR for non-EU tho Maxx, not easy unless you can buy your way in or marry someone.

I am not looking for PR, just another place to spend 89 days. I can stay in Georgia a year before needing to do a border jump to get the stamp in my passport for another year. Thanks though Ste for thinking of me.

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 11:33:39 AM »

That's not a surprise. Anything Communists touch turns to shit.

Now that they have had 27 years to rebuild it sounds like a great place to visit.

Thanks Rosco for the cool report.  :thumbsup:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »
Once again, the irony of Rosco promoting Romania ( visa free for now) when he voted to ensure a halt on such a status lives me perplexed

Don't Bexiters understand they are enjoying what their kids won't ?

Yes, because there's a new Iron Curtain coming and Britons will be unable to leave the British Isles?

Don't be bloody silly.

What's rotting your brain today? Booze or boredom?

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online msmoby

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 01:21:51 PM »

Yes, because there's a new Iron Curtain coming and Britons will be unable to leave the British Isles?

Don't be bloody silly.

You're probably too busy listening to Pervy Kanals news to understand.. nevertheless I have the spoon and bib at hand..

1/ Romanians aren't 'welcome' any more in the UK ... to live / work here... the clock is ticking to a time when they will need a visa to come here - if the likes of Farage, Davies, Rees-Mogg have their way... I don't include Boris and he will flip-flop as required

2/ 'Strangely', this will probably result in UK passport holders being treated in the same fashion..as last *I* heard Romania is an EU nation and they agree who gets visa free travel / right to work

What's rotting your brain today? Booze or boredom?

As ever, guessing your question was rhetorical - and best addressed by the inquisitor. addressing the image in the shaving mirror -   neither scenario being applicable - in my case ...