The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Moscow - St. Petersburg - Kiev; Hotels, Bars and Restaurants?  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Poldark

• Trips: 1-5
Moscow - St. Petersburg - Kiev; Hotels, Bars and Restaurants?
« on: August 05, 2017, 05:53:45 AM »
I'm trying to plan multiple trips for over the next 6 months consisting of Moscow - St. Petersburg - Kiev, I'll be in each city for up to a week however I'm stumped on which hotel would be best for each city and top tips for bars and restaurants especially. I know what attractions I want to see while I'm each city, just the food and beverage options allude me (:)

In Moscow I was previously booked into the Hilton Leningradskaya however for this trip I'd like to be closer to the centre and in a more modern hotel such as the Four Seasons only without the price tag! Is the InterContinental Tverskaya the best option? Bar wise, I've no clue where would be best, I prefer upscale bars and for restaurants, Café Pushkin and White Rabbit are the only two I've got absolutely nailed down.

In St. Petersburg I've no clue aside from attractions I want to visit, I'm quite partial to the Corinthia as I saw it on Мажор but that's because I'm a capitalist slave, easily influenced by advertising :ROFL: fully open to suggestions on bars, restaurants and the like.

In Kiev, the Hilton is the best hotel available from the looks of it (ridiculously priced however) and I recall D*Lux being the hangout of anyone worth their salt however it's been 5 years since I was last there and a lot has changed in Kiev since then so I have no clue what's open and what's good.

I'm sure that I'll get suggestions for AirBnB however I prefer hotels, stupid as I spend my life in hotels for work but I suppose it's what I'm used to?

Looking forward to the suggestions! :party0031:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Moscow - St. Petersburg - Kiev; Hotels, Bars and Restaurants?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 06:25:20 AM »
You do not want a hotel in any of the three cities you note.

Take an apartment, yes you will pay more than the locals would but it will be less expensieve than a hotel and more flexible to boot.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Poldark

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »
You do not want a hotel in any of the three cities you note.

Take an apartment, yes you will pay more than the locals would but it will be less expensieve than a hotel and more flexible to boot.
I have actually just checked out AirBnB, wow, whole flats for £60/night near centre of Moscow and even less in Kiev, I may seriously consider these as an option as it'll cut costs in half or in Kiev's case, two thirds!

Offline Poldark

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »
Does anyone have any up to date information on the best bars and clubs in Moscow, similar to the likes of Annabel's, Cirque le Soir, DSTRKT and Libertine in London as everything is out of date online as far as I can tell. I'm also looking for Kiev and L'viv as I've been invited out during my Moscow trip :smokin:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
Does anyone have any up to date information on the best bars and clubs in Moscow, similar to the likes of Annabel's, Cirque le Soir, DSTRKT and Libertine in London as everything is out of date online as far as I can tell. I'm also looking for Kiev and L'viv as I've been invited out during my Moscow trip :smokin:

Probably one of the best in Moscow is Soho rooms but I think it closed down a little while back.. Are you sure you can afford the BEST club in Moscow? I presume you will be taking some lady and Moscow women who frequent the BEST clubs in Moscow will probably expect you to book an exclusive table for the pair of you , not sure what the price will be about $500 min I expect, those women do not come cheap just wait till you get the drinks bill, especially if a couple of her friends turn up.. :laugh:

You do not need to go to the best clubs to meet the best women, many women who go to the best clubs may look like a queen in the evening, but when you wake up with her in the morning it might not be so nice with her make up smudged and the pot holes showing..
You can find just as nice women at any normal club and they will not bankrupt you..or take any women to a normal club, if a normal club is to far down her social scale you best dump her any way..

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Poldark

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 02:12:31 PM »
Probably one of the best in Moscow is Soho rooms but I think it closed down a little while back.. Are you sure you can afford the BEST club in Moscow? I presume you will be taking some lady and Moscow women who frequent the BEST clubs in Moscow will probably expect you to book an exclusive table for the pair of you , not sure what the price will be about $500 min I expect, those women do not come cheap just wait till you get the drinks bill, especially if a couple of her friends turn up.. :laugh:

You do not need to go to the best clubs to meet the best women, many women who go to the best clubs may look like a queen in the evening, but when you wake up with her in the morning it might not be so nice with her make up smudged and the pot holes showing..

You can find just as nice women at any normal club and they will not bankrupt you..or take any women to a normal club, if a normal club is to far down her social scale you best dump her any way..
$500 is roughly £385, a table at DSTRKT is £750 ($974) whereas Libertine is £1k ($1,3k), while I'll admit that I don't foot the entire bill for these tables when I go as I'm usually with at least two lady friends (otherwise you don't get in) and the bill is split.

For me the clubs aren't about meeting women, stupid as that sounds but I enjoy the high end clubs as the experience is unrivalled I've found as women aside, the experience of not being in a sweaty box filled with guys groping women or people getting too drunk far outweighs the cost or is it so different in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kiev etc that I don't have to worry about that as much?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 02:29:30 PM »

$500 is roughly £385, a table at DSTRKT is £750 ($974) whereas Libertine is £1k ($1,3k), while I'll admit that I don't foot the entire bill for these tables when I go as I'm usually with at least two lady friends (otherwise you don't get in) and the bill is split.

For me the clubs aren't about meeting women, stupid as that sounds but I enjoy the high end clubs as the experience is unrivalled I've found as women aside, the experience of not being in a sweaty box filled with guys groping women or people getting too drunk far outweighs the cost or is it so different in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kiev etc that I don't have to worry about that as much?

Oooo that sounds ok i will come out for a drink next time then with you...BUT I aint paying for the table!! :laugh:

Offline Poldark

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »
Oooo that sounds ok i will come out for a drink next time then with you...BUT I aint paying for the table!! :laugh:
Ha, men pay, men always pay so you'd be paying :ROFL:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 02:45:09 PM »
Ha, men pay, men always pay so you'd be paying :ROFL:

Net Denyeg.... :chuckle:  Im just a poor English man from the country side!! :ROFL:

Offline Poldark

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »
Net Denyeg.... :chuckle:  Im just a poor English man from the country side!! :ROFL:
Нет денег means no money right? (you spelt it differently phonetically so not sure).

Sure you're a poor Englishman from the countryside, you were able to go to Russia and fulfil your aspirations or did that tap out your wallet? :chuckle:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 04:03:13 AM »

You can try here ...  http://www.moscowclubs.com/table-bookings/

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 05:20:39 AM »
Нет денег means no money right? (you spelt it differently phonetically so not sure).

Sure you're a poor Englishman from the countryside, you were able to go to Russia and fulfil your aspirations or did that tap out your wallet? :chuckle:

That, or he learned the art of прибедняться ( oftentimes a necessary survival mimicry technique for a foreigner ;))
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 12:36:25 AM »

No I was just a poor English man from rural England..spent many a night in the train station sleeping on the bench being prodded by the police man if I fell to sleep.. then up for a wash and shave in the public toilet the list is endless.. :ROFL: :hidechair: