The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Turkish Airline  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Turkish Airline
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:33:30 PM »
I wanted to know if anyone has flown to the FSU or anywhere actually on Turkish airline. 

they claim that with a layover of over 6 hours in Istanbul you get a free city tour, or with a layover of 10 hours or more a hotel stay. 

Has anyone used these services? 

They would be a good option to fly to Belarus because the five day visa free program in Belarus is only from non Russian flights. 

Aeroflot and Turkish have the best prices coming from the US. 

I have usually used Lufthansa but they are more expensive. 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Turkish Airline
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 11:01:31 PM »
There is another thread about Turkish on the forum where I discuss this

I fly TR airlines to Sochi / Moscow about 50 percent of the time I fly to Russia and have used the hotel and tour offer - as have Russian friends when I pointed it out..

They are a HEAVILY subsidised airline and the food is good and the airline has won awards for  good reason.

This is the latest link to the Tour info:

http://www.istanbulinhours.com/

You must arrive and depart on an intl' transit and there can't be an earlier flight to your onward destination.

You go to a booth in the international terminal -just after you exit the baggage collection area in arrivals- which means you MUST have a visa - you can buy an e-visa - as you are clearing passport control

Recommened

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 12:12:33 AM »
I have flown THY (turkish airlines) once.

They lost my baggage on both trips (To Crimea and back home).

On the way home, I was prepared for it, so I contacted the service-desk during layover.
They told me my luggage was still on some baggage-claim belt and I had to check it through myself. I told them thats not possible as that would mean I had to buy a VISA to enter Turkey legally for $25 and I wasn't going to do that. In the end my luggage arrived 2 hours after I did in NL.

Flown aeroflot a lot of times, excellent service every time.

You also might want to ask Moby, he recommends Turkish airlines.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 06:49:21 AM »
Recommended, even

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 08:34:17 AM »
I wouldn't do it for a 5 day free visa - not very long.

I have flown them. Istanbul is an odd airport to get around the first time. Few non-Arab, non-Turk speakers.

The only problem I had was the guy in a wheel chair downstairs being tortured screaming 'Allah-Akhbar.' I wiped my iPhone to fix a problem before I saved the video - it would have been a HUGE hit.

I flew after the first attack and before the second attack and then after the second attack.

My friend just landed, yesterday, and he had no problems - accept it is strange to get around the first time through.

I prefer Austrian over Turkish. Can't say about Aeroflot. Lufthansa is good.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 11:44:06 AM »
I wanted to know if anyone has flown to the FSU or anywhere actually on Turkish airline.

I have flown TK to both Kiev and Odessa.  My connections in Istanbul were ~1 hour each time, so I didn't do a tour etc.  The travel experience on TK was very positive and the food was excellent.  If you have access to the CIP lounge that's a good spot to relax for a moderate layover, although it can get crowded at peak times.

IME, it's a typical international hub airport, like AMS or CDG, no issues or problems, etc.

I have also flown on SU and I like their product also.  One benefit to both is the long flight to SVO or IST means you can board, have dinner, watch a movie and get 6 hours of sleep before bouncing back into Europe.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 04:17:26 AM »
I am a Turkish Airlines Elite Passenger.  I fly with them all the time.  In general the service is good.  If something goes wrong - say a cancellation or bad weather etc.  I have found the customer service is weak / mixed.  You should have no problems really.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 04:25:05 AM »
I use Fly-Lo, they are cheap but everything is extra...

Wiz-link
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 01:17:22 PM »
I wouldn't dream of using a Muslim airline (I get that Les will as he lives there). I prefer not to fund Muslim businesses on any level if I can help it. Better not to feed the beast......
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 02:36:42 PM »
I wouldn't dream of using a Muslim airline (I get that Les will as he lives there). I prefer not to fund Muslim businesses on any level if I can help it. Better not to feed the beast......

So, you turn away 'Muslim' clients ?  :chuckle:  You place is just about in the Horn of Manchester

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 06:16:20 PM »

+1

My opinion and choice as well.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 10:07:52 PM »

+1
My opinion and choice as well.

The pair of you better not be driving petrol / gas cars in Europe - unless your cars work off fresh air ...  :'(

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 07:11:11 AM »

So, you turn away 'Muslim' clients ?  :chuckle:  You place is just about in the Horn of Manchester

I have no objection to taking money from them; that is the other way around. However, some are difficult to deal with, and difficult customers pay more. Many tradespeople refuse to do business with them or double the price. You probably give them a discount and pray with them.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »
The pair of you better not be driving petrol / gas cars in Europe - unless your cars work off fresh air ...  :'(

Yes petrol, and I am confident the sand people need the dollars more than we need your occasional brain farts.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »

Yes petrol, and I am confident the sand people need the dollars more than we need your occasional brain farts.

:chuckle:

I'll take that as a, "yes - and you got me, Moby  - I AM doing biz with 'Muslim' every time I pay up"

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: Turkish Airlines
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 08:23:44 AM »

I have no objection to taking money from them; that is the other way around. However, some are difficult to deal with, and difficult customers pay more. Many tradespeople refuse to do business with them or double the price.

As you ducked the issue - you are putting money in their pockets when you fill up ...

You probably give them a discount and pray with them.

In my experience, Indians could be the most challenging - wanting discount for payment on delivery - then forgetting to pay ..;)

I just don't think about who I'm buying from - just if they have what I want, at the right price....

Offline Manny

Re: Turkish Airlines
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
As you ducked the issue - you are putting money in their pockets when you fill up ...

More money on a gallon of fuel goes to the government. Were you observant, you would have noted I said "where I can help it".

In my experience, Indians could be the most challenging - wanting discount for payment on delivery - then forgetting to pay ..;)

Don't give credit and no payment issues. I find the opposite, though. Indians are mostly, in my experience, polite and easy to do business with. Rather like the Chinese. It tends to be Pakistani and other Muslims that cause problems in many areas of society, business included.