The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Prisons  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
Russian Prisons
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:35:28 PM »
I just caught a great documentary on the National Geographic channel about the Russian prison system. I've watched plenty of shows on the US prison system, but this is only the second or third one I've watched on Russia. Scary stuff. The Russian system actually appears more organized and civil than our system, also much stricter (like a military camp). The guards in the Russian system don't seem to fear the nasty offenders like some of our guards do. You can tell that inmates in the Russian system have a healthy deal of fear and respect for the system (demonstrated by the fact that during transfers, prisoners aren't hand-cuffed or shackled). I think our wardens could take a hint or two from this documentary (minus the ones in TX maybe, they seem to have things pretty well under control). ~ Doug
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
Re: Russian Prisons
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:07:30 PM »
The Russian system actually appears more organized and civil than our system, also much stricter (like a military camp). The guards in the Russian system don't seem to fear the nasty offenders like some of our guards do.

Hmm.  I wonder why that might be.....

I think our wardens could take a hint or two from this documentary (minus the ones in TX maybe, they seem to have things pretty well under control). ~ Doug

You're dealing with different populations.  I'm not sure it would be as transferable as you might think.  Plus the prisons would immediately be sued for holding inmates accountable for their actions, etc.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 03:24:24 PM »
The Russian system actually appears more organized and civil than our system, also much stricter (like a military camp). The guards in the Russian system don't seem to fear the nasty offenders like some of our guards do.

I think our wardens could take a hint or two from this documentary (minus the ones in TX maybe, they seem to have things pretty well under control). ~ Doug

You're dealing with different populations.  I'm not sure it would be as transferable as you might think.  Plus the prisons would immediately be sued for holding inmates accountable for their actions, etc.

B/B

"Black lives matter". Except when they're killing each other.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 07:50:44 AM »

B/B

Yeah, I can actually picture such a lawsuit... what a shame.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 08:17:42 AM »

B/B

It really is too bad that black-on-black crime isn't depicted accurately in the media (or at all in many cases). I feel for a person (of any race) that suffers discrimination, but I'm sick of the BLM stuff.

My mom is fairly close with this African American family that lives in our neighborhood and last year the matriarch of the family comes to talk to my parents about their kid needing help paying for college. You can imagine how that went over with my dad, but my mom has a real soft spot for these people, so they go to the bank with the kid, yada, yada, yada. Skip ahead a few months and I see a facebook post where this kid that we helped out is part of a BLM rally, bashing all Caucasians for being "privileged racists." Unbelievable. It took a lot of restraint on my part not to publicly mention my family's generosity to her friends.

We actually live in a pretty nice neighborhood, but I do carry concealed... things are too crazy these days not to.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 10:23:20 AM »

B/B

It really is too bad that black-on-black crime isn't depicted accurately in the media (or at all in many cases). I feel for a person (of any race) that suffers discrimination, but I'm sick of the BLM stuff.

My mom is fairly close with this African American family that lives in our neighborhood and last year the matriarch of the family comes to talk to my parents about their kid needing help paying for college. You can imagine how that went over with my dad, but my mom has a real soft spot for these people, so they go to the bank with the kid, yada, yada, yada. Skip ahead a few months and I see a facebook post where this kid that we helped out is part of a BLM rally, bashing all Caucasians for being "privileged racists." Unbelievable. It took a lot of restraint on my part not to publicly mention my family's generosity to her friends.

We actually live in a pretty nice neighborhood, but I do carry concealed... things are too crazy these days not to.

Typical. Since whites are so oppressive and awful clearly the best solution is to go back to separate but equal.

I would not give that neighbor one penny either. Big mistake.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 01:06:19 PM »

Screen shot those posts so that if they ever come back for anything, you can give them a flat no and explain why.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 03:22:21 PM »
Whenever I am watching shows about Russian Prisons, I get excited and think: what a good idea, when's netherlands adopting this system.....

And then I remember , ...... we don't actually go to prison, we have to work community-stuff for free..
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »

Screen shot those posts so that if they ever come back for anything, you can give them a flat no and explain why.

B/B

I not only saved the posts, I also saved a couple of videos of the BLM rally where you can clearly hear her chanting, then I showed them to my parents. I sensed a mutual agreement between both of my parents that our family's relationship with those people has ended. My mom was very disappointed.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »
Whenever I am watching shows about Russian Prisons, I get excited and think: what a good idea, when's netherlands adopting this system.....

And then I remember , ...... we don't actually go to prison, we have to work community-stuff for free..

I think it's great to have a reformatory attitude when applicable (like druggies, petty theft, vandalism, etc.). But the idea that a serial rapist / murderer is ever going to be "reformed" is ridiculous, IMO.

What really drives me crazy is when you hear on these american prison documentaries how there are these powerful jail yard gangs (like the Aryan Brotherhood) and the guards act as though they are powerless to stop their activity. Uh, how about not letting them be together in the facility? Oh wait, that makes too much sense.  :'(