The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Female Balloonists...  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
Female Balloonists...
« on: September 06, 2017, 11:43:19 PM »
Haven't been here in a while and wanted to drop in on my old pals. Tiny bit of a rant, so if you're not in the mood get out while you can. For those who don't remember me, I'm a young guy from PA, USA who hatched an idea a few years back to sail to Russia in search of love. Well that plan didn't work out, but man I just don't give up.

So I recently sold my sloop and got into hot air ballooning. I purchased a Cameron model O-90 that I've named Carolina Day. I chose a simple gore pattern of alternating blue and yellow, which represents a toy balloon I had as a child. I'm very passionate about aviation, especially anything lighter-than-air. But Geez, I though girls didn't like boats... balloons? Forget about it! Admittedly we just had a horrible accident last year in TX that took 16 lives, but that guy was on drugs. Girls over here are constantly fearing anything remotely dangerous, it's ridiculous.

But I found an interesting trend on Facebook... out of all my balloonist friends, where are the majority of the female pilots to be found? You guessed it! I'm flying my hot air balloon to Russia.  :laugh:

Just kidding... I'll be shipping her over eventually though. Would love to fly over there. Hope you all have been well here. As I'm sure you've all been hearing, things are pretty bonkers in the states right now... DT as pres, riots, hurricanes... you name it. ~ Doug S. 
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Female Balloonists...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:20:05 AM »

But I found an interesting trend on Facebook... out of all my balloonist friends, where are the majority of the female pilots to be found? You guessed it! I'm flying my hot air balloon to Russia.  :laugh:

Your idea is not as crazy as it sounds... The Russians  are slightly more aware of this 'hobby' !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36873594

I got into hot air ballooning some years ago - a neighbour being a pilot and took me up and I was HOOKED..

Sadly,, he had to sell up as he had a  slow bleed on the brain and can't fly until this issue is confirmed medically sorted

When in the UK I am only 35 mins from Cameron

Your balloon has nice Ukrainian colours ))
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 05:40:17 AM »
One of the more amazing daring escapes from former East Germany involved a hot air balloon.

I am pretty sure you balloonist ticket will have to be converted to a European one and than I suspect to one valid in Russia.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 05:57:51 AM »
Depending upon your desires, you only need one target.

I rather doubt that the United States, formerly known as the Home of the Brave is entirely devoid of women who enjoy, or might enjoy, hot air ballooning. As with many aspects of relationships though, isn't it about trust? If she doesn't trust you then she ain't going in no balloon with you.

Isn't there an active ballooning scene?
Are all balloonists burly bearded blokes? Surely not?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:18:51 AM »
Av - Yes, I believe I've heard of that story, the homebuilt balloon, right? Man that must've been a frightening escape. To be honest, I'd probably hire a local PIC so the only major issue is insurance. Would give me some time to take photographs as well.

Andrew - Yes, there are still some female pilots here in the US,  but the truth be told, ballooning is a dying sport. Most pilots (male or female) are up in age and already have children (if not grandchildren). Due to the fact that hot air balloons heat on propane and require a chase vehicle, it's not a 'green' activity. It is somewhat costly as well as risky, and severely weather-limited (where I live, I can fly once a week in a good month, once a month in a bad one). So I'm driving at the fact that ballooning (as a sport, not just a ride "experience") isn't attracting a big group of people. There are a few of us newbies out there, but few and far between.

Joking around aside, you know what I think my problem is? I'm ugly. I really believe that must be it. I'm short, chubby and my hair is already falling out!!! I hate to sound vain, but I'm practically perfect otherwise. I have awesome parents, I'm financially stable, involved with many exciting things... etc. I really am a sweet, genuine guy once you get to know me... but that seems to be the problem: no one wants to give me a chance. I must just be hideous to look at. ~ Doug   
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »
Move to Russia or Ukraine and teach English. I hear it's a cure all for short ugly guys.  :laugh:

Might work for you too.

Offline ?ManyQuestions?

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 12:58:12 PM »
Move to Russia or Ukraine and teach English. I hear it's a cure all for short ugly guys.  :laugh:

Might work for you too.

There is no panacea for anyone in the external environment. The only panacea is to work on oneself before going over there.

Buddha "No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."

Offline ?ManyQuestions?

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 01:14:42 PM »
Buddha " It is better to travel well than to arrive."

"Peace comes from within. Do not seek it throughout."

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 01:21:24 PM »

Might work for you too.

I'm not sure how well a teacher I'd really make (I barely know proper English myself), but I appreciate the suggestion... food for thought.

A couple of friends have been asking for pictures of the balloon and because this is my day off, I took some time to create a photo album online. Unfortunately when ballooning, taking photos sort of takes a back seat, so I don't have a lot of good shots (mostly just what family takes and texts to me, so...).

I'm passionate about ballooning and passionate about sharing that passion as well. I've been "touring" with Carolina Day to various regional airshows to give kids a chance to check out a modern hot air balloon. It's fun to see them climb into the basket with a big grin on their face. I'm often stuck with the youngsters because the older kids are too busy checking out the fixed-wings and helos, but I don't mind. Ballooning is an activity that has the potential to bring much joy to many people. ~ Doug

http://www.fototime.com/users/douglassuhr414@gmail.com/Carolina%20Day

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »

Might work for you too.

I'm not sure how well a teacher I'd really make (I barely know proper English myself), but I appreciate the suggestion... food for thought.

A couple of friends have been asking for pictures of the balloon and because this is my day off, I took some time to create a photo album online. Unfortunately when ballooning, taking photos sort of takes a back seat, so I don't have a lot of good shots (mostly just what family takes and texts to me, so...).

I'm passionate about ballooning and passionate about sharing that passion as well. I've been "touring" with Carolina Day to various regional airshows to give kids a chance to check out a modern hot air balloon. It's fun to see them climb into the basket with a big grin on their face. I'm often stuck with the youngsters because the older kids are too busy checking out the fixed-wings and helos, but I don't mind. Ballooning is an activity that has the potential to bring much joy to many people. ~ Doug

http://www.fototime.com/users/douglassuhr414@gmail.com/Carolina%20Day

Very cool photos! thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »
Thanks Confederate, happy to share.

By the way, it was just brought to my attention that the color scheme of my envelope matches that of the Ukrainian flag. This is purely coincidental in nature, I love everyone and do not pick sides.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »
Thanks Confederate, happy to share.

By the way, it was just brought to my attention that the color scheme of my envelope matches that of the Ukrainian flag. This is purely coincidental in nature, I love everyone and do not pick sides.

Wise, especially if you prefer Russia and Russian women. I would even suggest to get photos of another balloon if heading to Russia. ????????

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 06:24:16 PM »

Are you telling us that you did NOT realize this reality regarding colour from when you selected the envelope?

Curious is the fabric the same as spinnaker and gennaker material of sailboats? I guess/suspect there is an inner coating for your envelope but have no real idea.

NB: Often the physical hot air balloon is referred to as an envelope, spinnaker and gennakers are off the wind sails used by modern (planning) wind powered vessels.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
Av, that is correct. Of course I've seen a Ukrainian flag before, but at the time I was purchasing the balloon, the similarity was furthest from my mind. As I mentioned above, I modeled the color scheme on a toy balloon that I had as a child (one of those balloons you could buy in a science store and use a hair dryer to inflate).

Awe man, I've probably blown my chances to operate in Russia! Perhaps I could fly a large Russian flag off the crown line to compensate.  :biggrin: I certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone, but I really like those colors. Truth be told, I was also too lazy to design anything more fanciful. Plus, if the aircraft requires repairs / patches in the future, they'll be easy to make.

The sailcloth I am familiar with personally is usually high oz. Dacron (which would be too heavy for a balloon envelope). Cameron's envelopes are made from a 2.3 oz. DuPont rip-stop nylon coated with a silicon coating on both sides (to reduce porosity). They call their fabric "Hyperlast" and guarantee it up to 600 flight hours... we shall see about that. The actual weight-bearing structure of the envelope is made of Kevlar load lines that run longitudinally to the apex of the balloon, where they terminate at a large round plate called the load ring (that holds them all together). Most people don't seem to understand that the fabric itself is under very little stress (hence they're frightened when they realize how thin the fabric is, but each load line could theoretically hold several thousand pounds before failing).

For the last few years, I haven't given much thought to that old idea of dating someone from the FSU, but my interest has been renewed after realizing (mostly through facebook and the BFA) how popular ballooning is over there... even with the women. I think it can probably be attributed to the wide, open spaces, availability of fuel and not as much concern over pollution (less fees, etc.).

No but really, I'm quite the ignoramus when it comes to the language, culture and politics of the FSU. If I would choose to pursue this avenue of dating with ardor, I will obviously have to hire a tutor.     

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 02:22:00 AM »

That'll go down well floating over Moscow, then.  :coffeeread:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 02:33:11 AM »

Your idea is not as crazy as it sounds... The Russians  are slightly more aware of this 'hobby' !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36873594

I got into hot air ballooning some years ago - a neighbour being a pilot and took me up and I was HOOKED..

Sadly,, he had to sell up as he had a  slow bleed on the brain and can't fly until this issue is confirmed medically sorted

When in the UK I am only 35 mins from Cameron

Bummer. Yeah, medical conditions take many a good pilot out of the sky.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 02:36:17 AM »

Manny, by the looks of your avatar, you are a pilot as well?

Offline Manny

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 03:03:36 AM »

I'm learning, yes. Still maybe 20 hrs short of my licence.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Female Balloonists...
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
I thought for sure that this thread would have at least a dozen photos like this.

This one is obviously photo shopped or has a nipple on the side of her breast

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »

I'm learning, yes. Still maybe 20 hrs short of my licence.

Very cool. I'm hoping to pursue a fixed wing certificate down the road. Maybe you've heard about the ATC privatization bill that's been making waves over here in the states, a lot of pilots are concerned that if services like ATC are taken under private ownership, pilots will have to start paying hefty user fees that will make private aviation that much more expensive than it is now (so I guess part of my decision on whether to  earn that cert will depend on what happens there). It seems unlikely that it will pass, but the major airlines make powerful lobbyists, so it's really "up in the air" right now. 

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 12:35:08 PM »
I thought for sure that this thread would have at least a dozen photos like this.

This one is obviously photo shopped or has a nipple on the side of her breast

Hey, those gals are quite attractive. I'll tell you though, I really try not to lust after women - it'll get you in trouble every time! I'm still in a shock of sorts after a recent revelation that an acquaintance of mine raped and murdered a woman.

This is going to sound nuts, but it's true (you can look it up - though I don't suggest it). So I'm a member of this group called PSUBS (Personal Submersibles). We build and operate submersibles and small submarines for personal use (I'm not a builder myself, I purchased mine due to lack of a machine shop / engineering degree - but many of these guys are smart cookies). We had just arrived back from our summer regatta in Islamorada (which is about to be hit hard by Irma, BTW) when I start hearing the guys talk about a rape / murder aboard one of our member's subs (Madsen's UC3 Nautilus). Now this is going to sound bad, but I honestly thought they were kidding around (some of these guys are "dirty jokers"). For a couple of days I was reading on the forum about this reporter that has "disappeared" and I thought they were making jokes about the guy. Then I see a story about it on the news and I nearly lose my breakfast. Unfortunately there was no joke about it - Madsen had murdered this talented young lady journalist aboard his ship and tried to dispose of her body at sea. Now I wasn't there, but she was arguably quite attractive and one thing led to another, to another to murder and dismemberment.  :snivel:

I'm not saying that I or anyone else in particular is on the verge of a rape / murder, but at the same time, I can hardly imagine that Peter grew up planning to do such a horrible thing. Greed and lust are two things that can get you into more trouble than you can handle.

Mind you, this is coming from a guy who's barely kissed a girl before, so what do I know.           

Offline 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Female Balloonists...
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
I'll tell you though, I really try not to lust after women - it'll get you in trouble every time!

There are many levels of lust. Admiring the female form from afar is what I tend to do,
I don't stare, or stop what I'm doing or honk my horn or stick my head out the window
or anything like that, but I give the girl a short look over and I continue on my way as
does she, and I've long decided that I'll accept whatever little trouble it gets me into.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »
I forgot to share a link to the balloon's theme song, 'Carolina Day.' This song has been written and performed by James Taylor's brother, Livingston Taylor. If you would happen to take a listen, I hope you enjoy it... this one sure puts a smile on my face. :) ~ Doug

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »
I'll tell you though, I really try not to lust after women - it'll get you in trouble every time!

There are many levels of lust. Admiring the female form from afar is what I tend to do,
I don't stare, or stop what I'm doing or honk my horn or stick my head out the window
or anything like that, but I give the girl a short look over and I continue on my way as
does she, and I've long decided that I'll accept whatever little trouble it gets me into.

That sounds quite the way I am as well.  :thumbsup: ~ Doug

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 04:16:08 PM »
The photo of Denise Milani is NOT photoshopped. Her boobs really are that big. She's from the Czech Republic.

PS do you happen to know the name of the 1st gal in blue?

Registration