The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 'Safer than London': North Korea's claim to woo Russian tourists  (Read 7091 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: 'Safer than London': North Korea's claim to woo Russian tourists
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 02:42:08 PM »

BRINK OF WW3: Russia moves thousands of people from North Korea border after missile test

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/847281/Russia-North-Korea-missile-test-Japan-Kim-Jong-un-Vladimir-Putin-Kremlin
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
"Bergee: I agree that it compares to Tarawa, but at Chosin we also had the weather to contend with, plus the fact that we were not invading an island, but were on the defensive–completely surrounded by six Chinese Communist divisions. That fact alone, I believe, puts Chosin in a class all by itself. It reminds me of the Spartans and their stand at Thermopylae long ago!"

http://www.historynet.com/korean-war-interview-with-us-marine-lee-bergee-chosin-reservoir-battle-survivor-and-author.htm

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 02:55:47 PM »

China has guaranteed the security of North Korea as long as they dont strike first. That means no Uncle Sam invasion.  :coffeeread:

"The perimeter flares revealed wave after wave of Chinese advancing across the snow-covered ground. Hand grenades were lobbed at the onrushing enemy, machine guns opened up and the mortars began firing with devastating effect. Finally, our men met the enemy head-on, with bayonets. Temporarily, the Chinese had been beaten off by so-called rear echelon troops–but the Chinese had not figured on their opponents being Marines. I have often thought what the Chosin area must have looked like when spring arrived that following year. There must have been dead bodies all over the place. It has been said that the 1st Marine Division killed 40 Chinese to every dead Marine. It seems possible to me, since I saw the bodies of Chinese soldiers stacked like cordwood at daybreak after that battle."

link upthread

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 03:36:29 PM »
By this reasoning, the Baltic states should be at a tipping point as well with Russia holding war games in Belarus.

China warns tensions on Korean Peninsula at ‘tipping point’ after Pyongyang missile launch

https://www.rt.com/news/401287-china-north-korea-missile/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 05:43:09 PM »
South Korea ready to exterminate the "glorious leader"  As said by the Daleks -  EXTERMINATE... EXTERMINATE   :fighting0025: >:( :GRRRR:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/29/south-korea-threatenskim-jong-un-extermination-missile-launch/
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline ?ManyQuestions?

The latest standoff between China and India.
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 08:48:13 PM »
I was watching some YouTube videos about India last night and found this video. Apparently, China and India were in standoff near the border of a small country in the Himalayas called Bhutan, (East of Nepal) and Bhutan felt threatened. The region is called Doklam. India has an military agreement with Bhutan to come to it's aid if threatened by invasion. Also, India wants to protect this strategic narrow strip of land south of Bhutan from being cut off from the rest of India since Bangladesh is on the Ganges delta. Luckily, the standoff has ended and there was nothing more than a fist fight between a few soldiers.

China says it will still have patrols around the Doklam area.

India-China relations have not always been great due to China's relations with India's geopolitical foe, Pakistan. I already knew about the disputed territory of Kashmir between India and Pakistan.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 06:51:12 AM »
Mate of mine took some pics of the North Korean Embassy in London (its a semi in suburbia I kid you not) and this Korean bloke followed him around for half a day, he took pics of this bloke following him, worlds worst tail...

Really?? Whats the address ? I will go there next time Im in London..Always fancied being tailed. Do you think I will be able to duff the bloke up ?  :chuckle:

Im planning to do another stunt in London at the same time. Going to sit in the middle of Oxford street in my Armani suit, on a cardboard box, the wife will be by my side in her expensive mink our shopping bags will be beside us from Harvey nics with a big white banner saying "Hungry and need new macbook, please help"

73 Gunnersbury Avenue, London, W5 4LP....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embassy_of_North_Korea,_London

Ok will be there some time in October/November will let you know the results.. :chuckle:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 06:55:24 AM »
NK have nothing to fear from the mouth on a stick in the US. Not now China has guaranteed their security.  :coffeeread:

NK would be a very tough nut to crack, unless you didn't mind if a million or
so South Koreans were killed. (China doesn't care but we do) Seoul has over
10 million people and is within artillery and rocket range of the border. 

I'm sure that there are generals in a Pentagon basement with a plan revised
weekly to invade, but the South Korean civilians would get annihilated. China
factors in, but not to the extent that many think.

You people need to get off the US news.

China has guaranteed the security of North Korea as long as they dont strike first. That means no Uncle Sam invasion.  :coffeeread:

It is an inspired notion to fill the place with Russian tourists, because then Russia has a duty to protect its citizens.

US bellyaching over North Korea is just that. China has rendered them impotent and there will soon be negotiations brokered by Russia and China. Andrew explained why >here<.

Really, people over the pond, news isn't to be found on Fox and CNN.

The USA already fought the red Chinese army as well as the North Koreans and although they were vastly outnumbered they did very well.

Read about how one Marine took out over 125 Chinese. Read it and weep!

https://donmooreswartales.com/2010/05/24/hector-cafferata/

I don't think they would stand a chance! most would be in tears and wet their nappies as soon as their iPads are removed from them.. remember Iran... :chuckle:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/02/11/us-navy-rips-iran-after-new-footage-shows-captured-sailor-crying.html

Just make sure they don't invade Moldova! My carrots are coming along nice there!
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »
Officers and men of the KPA Strategic Force extended the warmest thanks to Kim Jong Un, peerless patriot and hero of the nation, who gave vent to the long-pent grudge of the Korean people by mapping out a bold plan to make the cruel Japanese islanders insensible on bloody Aug. 29 when the disgraceful “Korea-Japan Annexation Treaty” was proclaimed 107 years ago and approving ballistic rocket launching in the capital region, and pledged that once the Party Central Committee issues an order, they will fulfill their sacred mission and duty as the reliable nuclear force of the WPK in the van of the final sacred war which will win victory in the standoff with imperialism and the U.S

This all goes back to the early 20th century as Korea was bounced between China and Japan as a vassal state.  Then the non-Asian imperialists came into the picture.  DPRK is continuing the policy of Imperial Japan to push out the "outsiders" from Asia.  Just as with ISIS and the Native Americans, they want all the people who ventured outside of their homeland prior to the 15th century to go back to where you came from.   So, in fact, World War I and II did not do anything other than remove several royal dynasties and would-be world conquerors. :chuckle: :ROFL:

http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2017/08/30/next-target-island-guam-north-korea-says/
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2017, 07:46:58 PM »
This should really bring in Russian tourists.

Famine stricken North Korea offers tourists the chance to plant rice on 'interesting labour tours'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/north-korea-tourism-plant-rice-interesting-labour-tours-famine-kim-jong-un-a7943876.html